Options

Subway. What do you make of it?

Comments

• Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I'm puzzled as to what one needs to add to a chicken? Surely as long as it has been refrigerated after gutting, it'll keep for up to a week?

Anyway, if anyone is ever in north Bristol, the same shop does the most amazing afternoon tea platters (three-tier affairs) for £9.50!

Surely that's half the point though, a week isn't very long at all.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm puzzled as to what one needs to add to a chicken? Surely as long as it has been refrigerated after gutting, it'll keep for up to a week?

Anyway, if anyone is ever in north Bristol, the same shop does the most amazing afternoon tea platters (three-tier affairs) for £9.50!

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of chemicals in food but there are so many people on here that are acting as if Subway are the only ones that do it. When the reality is that the majority of the food chain has chemicals in it. I am puzzled why people are singling out Subway? Do they think McDonald's or KFC are part of their 5 a day?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I first tried Subway when I was in Australia and it was delicious.

I've had one in the UK and it was piss poor by comparison. I haven't been back since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    I first tried Subway when I was in Australia and it was delicious.

I've had one in the UK and it was piss poor by comparison. I haven't been back since.

They'll be no difference. The specs are the same. The US head office would mandate that.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    They'll be no difference. The specs are the same. The US head office would mandate that.

There are local differences with all franchises.

A good example is a number of substances that are in various McDonald's foods in the US (and maybe other countries) that are banned in Britain and the EU.

Even within Europe, it seems a obvious that French McD hambugers are sourced differently from Brtish McD hamburgers. They're just too different (or were a few years ago when I tried them anyway).
  • Options
    Forum Member

The items on the menu were different and the quality of the meat and other ingredients was far superior to what I experienced in the UK.

I was hooked on Subway in Australia, but one visit to a UK store put me off to the extent that I've not been back since.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of chemicals in food but there are so many people on here that are acting as if Subway are the only ones that do it. When the reality is that the majority of the food chain has chemicals in it. I am puzzled why people are singling out Subway? Do they think McDonald's or KFC are part of their 5 a day?

Perhaps it is because Subway market themselves as a somehow more wholesome and healthy alternative to the other fast-food corporations. Indeed, their slogan is "Eat Fresh!". To me, that would suggest that their food is fresh - i.e. a short period from harvest/slaughter to serving. That would suggest baguettes made from flour, water and salt, freshly baked, and ingredients that are freshly prepared, cured, cooked etc, and shipped to outlets in a short time. So, why do their "freshly baked" baguettes require 15+ ingredients? :confused: And their "fresh" meats loaded with preservatives, artificial flavours and colours? Even UK McDonalds hamburgers contain less ingredients (about 40) than the average Subway sandwich.
  • Options
    Danny_SilverDanny_Silver Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like it, a friend bought me a sandwich from them a long time ago, it was soggy,

Their shop smells, every time I walk past their shop I get a belly ache.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps it is because Subway market themselves as a somehow more wholesome and healthy alternative to the other fast-food corporations. Indeed, their slogan is "Eat Fresh!". To me, that would suggest that their food is fresh - i.e. a short period from harvest/slaughter to serving. That would suggest baguettes made from flour, water and salt, freshly baked, and ingredients that are freshly prepared, cured, cooked etc, and shipped to outlets in a short time. So, why do their "freshly baked" baguettes require 15+ ingredients? :confused: And their "fresh" meats loaded with preservatives, artificial flavours and colours? Even UK McDonalds hamburgers contain less ingredients (about 40) than the average Subway sandwich.

Even with the stabilizers in the meats subway use if you don't have cheese or Mayo a Turkey and Ham Sub with salad is a lot more healthy for you than a Big Mac. Nobody is pretending they're perfect but out of all the fast food restaurants and depending on what you pick they are the freshest and healthiest of all of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't like it, a friend bought me a sandwich from them a long time ago, it was soggy,

Their shop smells, every time I walk past their shop I get a belly ache.

That was pretty much my experience of Subway in the UK as well.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    What chemical smell. They don't smell as much as a beefburger/chicken, pizza, kebab or Chinese/Indian takeaway.

It may be like that in your local outlets. However, it doesn't apply to all their outlets. This is the thing isn't it, people assuming that because their local outlets are bad, then they must all be like that.

Two of the three Subways around here have 4 star ratings and the other one 5, according to the Food Standards Agency, which is more than you can say for most of the takeaways in this area. There are not cheap though, I'll agree with that.

The star ratings mean nothing, a lot of it comes down to bureaucracy issues, and has nothing whatsoever on how food actually tastes.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    What is everyone view on subway the food outlet. I'm a big fan of it. I was never hat fuss on it but I'm hooked on it now . Such a great place to get food. It is nice and cheap and great good much better then McDonald's in my view. You can get free refills. Had anyone ever had a bad time there. Four out five for me great place go there .

My view is it's pretty crap.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    There are local differences with all franchises.

A good example is a number of substances that are in various McDonald's foods in the US (and maybe other countries) that are banned in Britain and the EU.

Even within Europe, it seems a obvious that French McD hambugers are sourced differently from Brtish McD hamburgers. They're just too different (or were a few years ago when I tried them anyway).

Plus in some European countries you can get a beer in McDonalds.
  • Options
    biggle2000biggle2000 Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love it
  • Options
    Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    I find the meatball one hard to get my mouth around, I wish they would split the balls in half. Just saying :)

I've always thought they should make meat'balls' flat to put in a sub, I eat mine with a knife and fork!

It's strange a lot of people complaining about the smell as I am usually very sensitive to smells but I think it just smells of baking bread.
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Only tried it once and I wasn't impressed. Just too many choices - I just want a ham sandwich.

http://subway.co.uk/menu/subs/lite-subs/ham.aspx

Why didn't you order it then?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because you still have to play a game of 20 Questions over what bread you want, what salad, what toppings and loads of other options. If I'm out and about it's much easier to pop into Boots or M&S to get a sandwich from them.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    The star ratings mean nothing, a lot of it comes down to bureaucracy issues, and has nothing whatsoever on how food actually tastes.

OK, if hygiene standards mean nothing to you, who am I to argue. They do to me.

Yes, I realise all that, but given the choice, I'd rather eat bland food than eat food that is flavoursome, but also at the same time potentially dangerous.

There was an infamous case here of a pizza takeaway that was shut down at least temporarily because they had a cockroach infestation. They may have served the best tasting pizzas ever known to man, but would you eat one knowing that chances are cockroaches have been crawling all over the ingredients and work surfaces.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent value.
    Sandwiches OK if you chose carefully.
    They will sell you a plain and simple coffee without going through some poncey list of varieties all of which are disgusting. Thats the clincher for me.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I realise all that, but given the choice, I'd rather eat bland food than eat food that is flavoursome, but also at the same time potentially dangerous.

There was an infamous case here of a pizza takeaway that was shut down at least temporarily because they had a cockroach infestation. They may have served the best tasting pizzas ever known to man, but would you eat one knowing that chances are cockroaches have been crawling all over the ingredients and work surfaces.

I think I would. I have eaten at places in the Far East that would never pass the UK hygiene standards.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    I've always thought they should make meat'balls' flat to put in a sub, I eat mine with a knife and fork!

It's strange a lot of people complaining about the smell as I am usually very sensitive to smells but I think it just smells of baking bread.

I was thinking that. I always see people moaning about the smell, but have never noticed it myself and I think I have a good sense of smell.
  • Options
    jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the smell of Subway... wish I could buy it :(
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Again the stars are irrelevant, they pass and then are not checked out again for another year or so...so yes irrelevant in my mind. A lot of the checklist relates to silly little things rather than actual hygiene standards, and even then the inspectors don't all sing of the same hymn sheet, one might pass you, another might fail you.

So yes hygiene matters, but the stars aren't all that.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,297
    Forum Member
    It all depends on which "Sandwich Artist" (their words, not mine) you get.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The revolting smell of the place puts me off. You can tell when you're coming up to one without even seeing the name of the shop.:(

When I was in Australia, they had the same stink.

Normally when you go past a proper bakery you have a smell of nice bread wafting out.