Options

New iPhone Announched?

Comments

• Options
    denzil28denzil28 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myromeo wrote: »
    the iphone uses different data settings to 'normal' handsets so it may not work for mms and data in your SE. would work fine for calls tho.

Also, how will that work in reverse? should I chose to stick with my current £20 simplicity deal with 1000 texts and unlimited data (no wi-fi). If I change that to the Micro SIM and stick that in the new iphone will I be good to go?

I think I've read lots of people say they currently do this and don't have a specific wi-fi plan.

As far as I am aware, although the iphone may use a different type of data surely that would be down to the settings of the phone to tell the SIM how it wants to access the internet. Can o2 tell that I am trying to access the internet with a non iphone on an iphone simplicity and restirict me only to use the type of data stream that the iphone does?

There has to be someone out there who has changed to an iphone tariff but kept it in an ordinary phone.
  • Options
    Adam LawAdam Law Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really been hammering my IPhone 3G web browsing this month, lots of iTunes song previewing and YouTube viewing and I still only used 240MB, so I would assume the 500MB cap won't be a massive deal.

Remember most of the time you use Wi-Fi anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denzil28 wrote: »
    Also, how will that work in reverse? should I chose to stick with my current £20 simplicity deal with 1000 texts and unlimited data (no wi-fi). If I change that to the Micro SIM and stick that in the new iphone will I be good to go?

I think I've read lots of people say they currently do this and don't have a specific wi-fi plan.

As far as I am aware, although the iphone may use a different type of data surely that would be down to the settings of the phone to tell the SIM how it wants to access the internet. Can o2 tell that I am trying to access the internet with a non iphone on an iphone simplicity and restirict me only to use the type of data stream that the iphone does?

There has to be someone out there who has changed to an iphone tariff but kept it in an ordinary phone.

Normal web bolt on works fine for iphone but you dont get visual voicemail.

I had a normal contract with web bolt on sim that i put in my first iphone and it worked fine but visual voicemail didnt work. havent tried my current iphone tariff sim in a none iphone handset.

I think none iphone is something like web.o2.co.uk and iphone is idata.o2.co.uk so they use different portals. wether o2 would be bothered what device is using what portal im not sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myromeo wrote: »
    Normal web bolt on works fine for iphone but you dont get visual voicemail.

I had a normal contract with web bolt on sim that i put in my first iphone and it worked fine but visual voicemail didnt work. havent tried my current iphone tariff sim in a none iphone handset.

I think none iphone is something like web.o2.co.uk and iphone is idata.o2.co.uk so they use different portals. wether o2 would be bothered what device is using what portal im not sure.

Are you or anyone able to have a try and see if it is down to the phone settings or limited by o2 to iphone only data stream? Surley it is dictated by the settings of the phone and if you swap to a phone with different settings it will just work and then back to the iphone again with it's own settings - the settings are stored on the phone not the SIM I think.

Visual Voicemail - what exactly is this and do you ever use it?
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you or anyone able to have a try and see if it is down to the phone settings or limited by o2 to iphone only data stream?

Visual Voicemail - what exactly is this and do you ever use it?

Visual Voicemail is where it comes through on your phone like a missed call saying who called you and when, you tap it, and it plays the message left straight away rather than phoning up your mailbox and "selecting 1 to play new messages" or whatever.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Visual Voicemail is where it comes through on your phone like a missed call saying who called you and when, you tap it, and it plays the message left straight away rather than phoning up your mailbox and "selecting 1 to play new messages" or whatever.

I really like visual voicemail and would hate to go back to having to dial a number and follow commands.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I really like visual voicemail and would hate to go back to having to dial a number and follow commands.

Right, so that sounds quite good. I'm going to definitely need an iphone plan. Just need an answer as to wheter I can sign up now and if anyone has tried hot swapping the SIM between two different types of phone using the two available data connections.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is 500mb gonna be enough for me, all i do is browse afew sites and go on facebook and twitter/check emails, probably 3-4hrs browsing a day

Probably - I'm similar, twitter, facebook, bit of browsing on digitalspy, gizmodo and engadget - rarely get to my limit, even if I do the occasional bit of youtube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    something to be aware of, the iphone plan comes with iphone data bolt on, assumes your using the idata portal. if you change this to the web portal you could well incur charges for your data usage.

Unfortunately I dont have another phone I can try my sim in. in theory it should work just fine tho.

visual voicemail - as said above. I couldnt go back to normal voicemail either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, so that sounds quite good. I'm going to definitely need an iphone plan. Just need an answer as to wheter I can sign up now and if anyone has tried hot swapping the SIM between two different types of phone using the two available data connections.

Another thing to point out is I think its only availablie on O2 at the moment in the UK, Visual Voicemail. No doubt all the networks will be thinking of adding it to their plans at some point soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KesterK wrote: »
    Another thing to point out is I think its only availablie on O2 at the moment in the UK, Visual Voicemail. No doubt all the networks will be thinking of adding it to their plans at some point soon.

Yah according to Apple's website only O2 have it - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    BeccyJayne2247BeccyJayne2247 Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi guys, if i listened to the radio (through whatever app is the best for getting radio 1 on) for an hour a day and did the normal facebook, email checking and a bit of browsing would I be ok with the 500MB limit?

I don't have an iphone at the moment but am considering getting the new one as I am due an upgrade! (Its that or the Desire LOL)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, if i listened to the radio (through whatever app is the best for getting radio 1 on) for an hour a day and did the normal facebook, email checking and a bit of browsing would I be ok with the 500MB limit?

I don't have an iphone at the moment but am considering getting the new one as I am due an upgrade! (Its that or the Desire LOL)

Using the calculators I have seen online - NO!?!?!?

Not sure how ggod these actually are and how they can relate to real world usage. I hear most people say they never touch their 500mb of data, but according to these calculators, if you browse for 2 hours a day on the network you have instantly gone over your limit. That's before any streaming video or sending receiving e-mails, downloading apps etc.

I'm sure these calculators are designed to panic people into going for the higher allowance plans. But it really is difficult to get a true grip on just how much data I will use.

Can anyone in the know please confirm if I use an iphone tariff in a non iphone will i be charged for using the standard data stream or not. It's only going to be for two weeks until the new phone comes out, so if I sign up now or in a weeks time I wont have to deal with any issues for too long if there are going to be any.

Thank you to those who have responded so far with info, but no one has yet been able to advise for sure if I should sign up now for the existing 12 month simplicity for iphone and it will work as is in my SE using the SE settings and o2 will not charge me anything extra. I'm sure there must be people who have had to send their phones in for repair and use a standard phone whilst on an iphone simplicity who would know if they got charged for browsing away from the iphone stream.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An couple of hours of TV Catchup or Sky Mobile and you are easily past 500
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Just a query, any ideas on the prices for 3uk contracts with the Iphone?
  • Options
    mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats decided it for me. I will be changing to Orange on the 24th. Even if they do change their usage limit later on I will have tied into a new 2 year contract which will allow me to continue with unlimited browsing. BIG mistake by O2 announcing this at a time when loads of their customers are holding off for a new iphone and contract.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orange have a fair use policy of just 750mb. It's actually obscene to label it unlimited.
  • Options
    mcalmcal Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still at least its better 50% more usage than o2 and you will be allowed some leeway occasionally should you exceed it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    The other networks have not announced their pricing yet, so I guess we will see.

Voda on their non iPhone "unlimited" plans have gone 500MB with a price per MB after that recently, so seem to be moving in the same direction. Could be a good opportunity for Orange to steal some customer share if they think they can take the financial hit and their network can handle it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vodafone offer 1GB usage as standard... I really hope this doesn't change!!!
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As well as the data being no longer unlimited the tariffs have gone up too. Currently I get 600 mins for £35 on an 18 month contract. It's now only 300 mins for that price or £40 for the 600 mins :(

http://shop.o2.co.uk/new-iphone/tariffs.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Well, i am going to stick with my 600min/1200 sms. unlimited data simplicity plan. @ £20 a month its a cracking deal.
    I plan just to buy the handset either sim free or PAYG and just drop my sim card in.
    I realize i may need to convert it to micro sim or ask O2 to swap it.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iMacMan wrote: »
    Well, i am going to stick with my 600min/1200 sms. unlimited data simplicity plan. @ £20 a month its a cracking deal.
    I plan just to buy the handset either sim free or PAYG and just drop my sim card in.
    I realize i may need to convert it to micro sim or ask O2 to swap it.
    Data will be capped at 500MB from October on that plan though.