Mike- how did Childrens Hospital rate?
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nativity - 4.8m
    TG - 5.35m (won slot for last 15mins)

breakdown

OK, that's solid. Not fantastic, but still solid.

Nativity did well, even if down on Monday. I'm guessing TOTP2 dented Emmerdale then.

(sorry, its the time of the year where channels other than BBC1 and ITV1 dent each of the big 2 :p )
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,578
    Forum Member
    rzt wrote: »
    Mike- how did Childrens Hospital rate?

2.64m
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I have to ask: As Accidental Farmer is a load of crap, why have the BBC Scheduling Dimwits chosen to burn it off over Christmas and not in July or August?

We know it did alright now, but presumably the reason is because it can be buried amidst an avalanche of other specials so nobody would notice it. In the past, mind, we've had a pilot on Christmas Day - the Alan Davies sitcom A Many Splintered Thing was at 11pm on Christmas Day 1998, sold as "a one-off comedy", but it was a pilot and a series followed eighteen months later (and a second was announced but never happened).

In fact I remember a couple of pilots going out around this time in the past, a few years back they showed Chopratown, with Sanjeev Bhaskhar as a detective, at 9pm one night on BBC1, and back in 1994 there was Milner, with Mel Smith as a maverick solicitor, which again went out during Christmas week and never got a series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TOTP2 - 2.16m
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange how well The Savoy rated, even gaining on its lead in.
  • Options
    rztrzt Posts: 21,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely fantastic rating for Holby City. Quite astonishing that it got one of its highest ratings this year despite there being very tough competition on BBC2. Once HD is factored in Top Gear was probably over the 5.5m mark, which is very good for an episode airing in an unusual slot. I thought it would struggle to get 5m. I think Top Gear's rating last night shows that there is potentially quite a large non-Holby audience out there so ITV really should be doing much better in that slot than it does year-round. I had a feeling Children's Hospital would be sub-3m, squeezed out by the competition and it wasn't the wisest move airing it against another hospital programme.

Solid rating for Accidental Farmer - after reading what people thought of it in the episode thread and the lack of promotion by the BBC, you'd have thought it was a sub-4m show but it performed respectably. The Savoy did pretty well, as expected it was down from last Monday's episode, but it built strongly from its lead-in and apart from The Bill finale and Piers Morgan on Marbella, that's ITV1's best rating in that slot for a regular (non-stripped/event TV) programme this year. I wonder if they'll do a follow-up series similar to what they're doing to that Wormwood Scrubs documentary which also rated well earlier this year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    Great night for BBC1. EE over 10m again and huge rating for Holby. Accidental Farmer also performed much better than I thought. The Nativity should receive a nice boost tonight to at least 5.5m with no Emmerdale competition. ITV obviously moving Emmerdale to give Paul Burling a good lead in.

Really strong rating for TG too considering it was out of it's normal slot, but thought it would boost the 9pm slot more. I agree with rzt that considering how well TG performed, ITV should be doing better than averaging ~3m in the Tuesday 8pm slot.

ITV underperforming up to 9pm really. Emmerdale should be around 8m and even considering the competition I thought CH should have made 3m. Great for The Savoy though, all things considered. In a death slot with a poor lead in and it still managed 4m. There's a really easy way to sort Tuesdays out tbh. Just air 2 part factual/drama on Mondays and Tuesdays and find something other than factual for the Tuesday 8pm slot, perhaps trying TV Burp or something of that genre in the slot?
  • Options
    dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strong ratings for Holby City and Eastenders last night. In particular Holby City with 6.37m, marks the 2nd highest rating of the year behind January 5th. It has done very well to recover from that 3.9m rating 2 weeks ago. Top Gear and Holby City are probably 2 shows with very different demographics (Holby more female, TG more male) so it was a good decision to pit them against each other. Although Top Gear could have used more promo.

Looks like ITV and BBC both had reasonable 9pm airings last night, particularly ITV for a Tuesday.

[EDIT - presumably that was the full slot rating for Holby, seeing as it started at 20:04 DS may tape check it to a lower rating]
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Miranda Series Two Ratings:

Episode One (20:30) - 2.9m
    Episode Two (20:30) - 3.1m
    Episode Three (20:30) - 3.7m
    Episode Four (20:30) - 2.5m [Against Corrie Tram Crash]
    Episode Five (20:30) - 2.9m
    Episode Six (20:30) - 4.4m

I'd love too see this on BBC1 next year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    prog amendments for w/e 31st October now on BARB website

right I'm off after today, so no more overnights from me till next year

also the official prog data for next 2 weeks will be delayed, as I think Kantar don't open over Xmas period (so everything is backed up)

ciao for now guys (unless you happen to frequent the Emmerdaily thread)
  • Options
    excel99excel99 Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Panorama is a bit of an odd one though. On one hand, such a stuffy old brand shouldn't be having an hour long special during Christmas week. On the other hand the content about supermarkets sounds like low brow tosh that shouldn't be airing under the Panorama brand at any time of the year and should really be left to someone like Jonathan Maitland or Martin Lewis as part of Tonight on ITV1.
    Worth noting it is being heavily 'promoted' today, including a summary report on the BBC News Channel and my regional breakfast news also had a piece about supermarkets and with mention of Panorama at the end
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Full-ish roundup for the moment:

Tuesday 21st December 2010
    BBC1 (inc HD)
    19:00 - The Nativity: 4.80m
    19:30 - EastEnders: 10.10m
    * peak: 10.5m
    20:00 - Holby City: 6.37m (24.3%)
    * 20:05 to 21:00 - 6.28m (23.8%)
    21:00 - Accidental Farmer: 4.575m (17.7%)

BBC2 (inc HD)
    18:30 - TOTP2 Christmas 2010: 2.16m exc HD
    20:00 - Top Gear: 5.74m (21.8%)
    Non HD Breakdown
    * 20:00 - 4.90m
    * 20:15 - 5.42m
    * 20:30 - 5.65m
    * 20:45 - 5.47m
    * 21:00 - 5.33m
    * 20:05 to 21:15 - 5.80m (21.9%)
    21:15 - Oz and Hugh Raise the Bar: 2.00m (8.0%)

ITV1 (inc HD)
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 7.39m exc HD
    20:00 - Children's Hospital at Christmas: 2.73m (10.4%)
    21:00 - The Savoy: 4.09m (15.8%)

C4 (inc HD)
    08:30 - Kirstie's Homemade Christmas: 278,900 inc +1
    * why has this been put on C4 Sales?
    17:00 - Celebrity Come Dine with Me: 2.40m
    18:00 - The Simpsons: 2.37m inc +1
    18:30 - Hollyoaks: 1.27m inc +1
    20:00 - The Secrets of Westminster Abbey: 1.54m (5.9%)
    * +1: 74,400 (0.3%)
    21:00 - Jamie's Best Ever Christmas: 2.11m (8.1%)
    * +1: 175,800 (0.8%)
    22:00 - Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights: 1.26m inc +1
    22:30 - Frankie Boyle's Tramadol Nights: 863,200 inc +1

C5 (inc HD)
    17:30 - Neighbours: 1.24m
    20:00 - The Princess and the Press: 852,000 (3.3%)
    * 20:00 to 20:55 - 834,440 (3.2%)
    21:00 - CSI: Miami: 2.5m (9.9%)
    * 21:00 to 21:55 - 2.66m (10.2%)

Source: Channel 4 Sales, Mike Teevee, Broadcast, Media Guardian, MediaTel

That's your lot, until DS updates.
  • Options
    Sun!Sun! Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent rating for Holby, EE and considering what I and many on here though of it AF on BBC1

Im slightly dissapointed by Top Gear, but didnt watch it as didnt know it was on, seen no adverts for it myself, its not on its usual night. I though when I saw it in the TV guide it was just a repeat. So for it to get so high is quite good.

The Savoy held up well even if it didnt manage to win its slot.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,479
    Forum Member
    prog amendments for w/e 31st October now on BARB website

right I'm off after today, so no more overnights from me till next year

also the official prog data for next 2 weeks will be delayed, as I think Kantar don't open over Xmas period (so everything is backed up)

ciao for now guys (unless you happen to frequent the Emmerdaily thread)

Thanks for taking the time to get us the early ratings, Mike. :)

--

Top Gear did pretty well actually once you add in the HD viewership. I wasn't expecting much more from an unusual slot. Not so great for Oz and Hugh - I think that programme's on the way down a bit without James May.

Accidental Farmer did OK, though I think only really by virtue of how many people were watching TV at the time. I don't expect we'll see anything more of that. EastEnders is winding up for Christmas OK, aided by the weather, and Holby did terrifically last night too.

The Christmas food stuff is doing adequately for Channel 4, but I don't think Frankie Boyle will be back. Those ratings are pretty poor in all honesty - I can't see how the controversy can be considered worth it, The Savoy did decently for ITV considering what a disaster zone Tuesdays otherwise can be on the channel.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,980
    Forum Member
    C5 (inc HD)
    17:30 - Neighbours: 1.24m
    20:00 - The Princess and the Press: 852,000 (3.3%)
    * 20:00 to 20:55 - 834,440 (3.2%)
    21:00 - CSI: Miami: 2.5m (9.9%)
    * 21:00 to 21:55 - 2.66m (10.2%)

Pretty below par ratings for Neighbours & The Princess and the Press. I would have expected the 8pm doc to be above 1m.

On the other hand an excellent finish for CSI:Miami. 2.7m is excellent for a series which has been rating around the 2m mark across the series. Both this and The Mentalist seem to have received boosts.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    excel99 wrote: »
    Worth noting it is being heavily 'promoted' today, including a summary report on the BBC News Channel and my regional breakfast news also had a piece about supermarkets and with mention of Panorama at the end

As you say it has been all over the news today.

but I think its a very odd choice of programme for Xmas week. I know the BBC have 'factual' quota's to fill...but is showing a documentary about the greed and might of the supermarkets...in a week where people will be spending hundreds in supermarkets on mounds of food really great planning?

I just can't see the 'average' viewer caring about the message while they unpack their 100 hundreth Tesco carrier filled with Xmas tat into the cupboard.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Accidental Farmer did really well to win its slot so comfortably in a very competitive 9pm slot across the big five.

Elsewhere, excellent closing numbers for CSI: Miami. The Savoy's dip was fairly hefty but in line with expectations. Good for Top Gear but not quite up to its usual standards.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Those ratings are great for C4 though. In fairness, neither Food Factory nor Simple Suppers are suited to the 8pm hour on BBC1 - they both did well at 7:30pm last year and that's where they should have stayed as they're not strong enough for 8/8:30pm.
    They definitely shouldn't have played at 8pm, but I can't help feeling that's where Jimmy's C4 programmes are going to land up. Maybe 9pm at a push, if C4 can find a way to make the shows controversial.

I can half imagine it: "Oooh, we're C4 and we're trendy and daring, and oh so controversial. Let's get Jimmy to slaughter some cuddly animals on screen. That'll get us some publicity." :rolleyes:

:D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to ask: As Accidental Farmer is a load of crap, why have the BBC Scheduling Dimwits chosen to burn it off over Christmas and not in July or August?
    Because it was Cheryl Taylor and Jay Hunt's pet production, after they got together to scrap Last of the Summer Wine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS update with soaps including HD for Emmerdale:

13:45 - Neighbours: 862,000 (8.2%)
    17:30 - Neighbours: 1.35m (7.2%)
    18:30 - Hollyoaks: 1.23m (5.3%)
    19:00 - Hollyoaks: 443,000 (1.9%) - first look
    19:00 - Emmerdale: 7.58m (31.9%)
    19:30 - EastEnders: 10.13m (40.6%)
    22:00 - EastEnders: 1.10m (4.8%)

The repeat rating for EastEnders suggests its in its now traditional 'Christmas stride'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a few more TV bits:

BBC Two
    22:15 - Mock The Week: 1.90m (8.9%)
    22:45 - Never Mind The Buzzcocks: 1.69m (10.9%)

ITV1 (inc HD)
    19:30 - River Monsters: 2.64m (10.5%)

Edit, the sources for the above are DS, and just in case anyone wants to look at the articles (one with an inaccurate heading):

- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a294562/festive-top-gear-grabs-54m.html
    - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s19/holby-city/news/a294558/chrissies-holby-meltdown-seen-by-63m.html

Top Gear in fact had 5.7m, DS haven't included the BBC HD simulcast for it.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you jumped the gun there :)

Indeed I did - I am gobsmacked at TG getting 5.8m (incl HD).

I saw the Holby overnight figure, its second best of 2010, and assumed TG must have got 4m or less because I didn't see how both BBC1 and BBC2 could possibly have averaged about 6m each in the same slot - on a routine Tuesday night. Prior to today, I thought 5.5m was about the limit of what Tuesday night TG could achieve (on basis Holby would probably drop to sub 5m), but I didn't hold out much hope.

That's an impressive result which bodes well for the BSI-enforced clash on Boxing Day of TG vs EE/UD.

I wonder how often a primetime ITV1 show not only gets thrashed by a 2 to 1 margin (in fact slightly more) by something on BBC1 but also gets thrashed by a 2 to 1 margin by something on BBC2 at the same time! :eek:
    Top Gear in fact had 5.7m, DS haven't included the BBC HD simulcast for it.

Or was it 5.8m, according to your own figures below for the slot it actually aired in (20.02 to 21.12 according to my PVR's recordings schedule)?:
    BBC2 (inc HD)

20:00 - Top Gear: 5.74m (21.8%)

* 20:05 to 21:15 - 5.80m (21.9%)

It was definitely a 70 min show, not 75m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or was it 5.8m, according to your own figures below for the slot it actually aired in (20.02 to 21.12 according to my PVR's recordings schedule)?:

It was definitely a 70 min show, not 75m.

Ah yes, of course. DS should update it to 5.8m because of their tape-checking.

Although you're correct, although it was a 75 minute slot, it started late and finished early. (it finished after 21:12:30, so the 21:10 to 21:15 5 minute segment would be included)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how often a primetime ITV1 show not only gets thrashed by a 2 to 1 margin (in fact slightly more) by something on BBC1 but also gets thrashed by a 2 to 1 margin by something on BBC2 at the same time! :eek:

Not often at all, hence you comment :confused: So why should ITV be worried about something that happens as frequently as a lunar eclipse? Assumming that was your point. I'm not sure you have a point really.;)
This discussion has been closed.