Options

F1 Coverage - The Verdict: 2014 Season

Comments

• Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They had some coverage on Sky News yesterday suggesting that the FIA should take action against Rosberg & that he should be given a 1 race ban.
    I also don't think Lewis coming out & saying Nico said he hit him deliberately has helped, Especially since other who were in the meeting have said thats not actually what Nico said or meant.

I think what Lewis said would be what triggered the call for the FIA to take another look. The stewards had already effectively decided based on the footage that the collision appeared a racing incident when they choose not to investigate it. It's the comment that it was done on purpose that might be evidence that Rosberg "caused a collision" (which is what would be an infringement under the regulations) .
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the pits channel:
    Christian Horner - "Atta boy, Fantastic, Unbelievable drive, Unbelievable"
    Simon Rennie - "Straght in the pit lane please, Fail 5 fail Fail 5 fail, Straight in the pit lane. Really awesome drive mate."
    Christian Horner - "How did you do that"
    Simon Rennie - "Absolutely amazing, We'll see you in a second"
    Daniel Ricciardo - "Woooo, ahhhh come on. Thanks guys, That was fun to drive"

They had some coverage on Sky News yesterday suggesting that the FIA should take action against Rosberg & that he should be given a 1 race ban.

Regardless of who was at fault (Rosberg in my view), It was still a racing incident & doesn't really justify the 'outrage' its getting.
    Nico made a mistake, He felt he saw a gap, An opportunity to get the lead & went for it. Yes it didn't pay off & ruined both there races (Lewis' more obviously) but it was still just a racing incident in my view.

Lewis himself has been guilty of that sort of misjudgement a dozen times over his F1 career (Singapore 2011 on Massa for instance) & I get this is different (Teammates, Championship fight) but still don't get why there are those who believe Nico deserves to be demonized or whatever for it.

I also don't think Lewis coming out & saying Nico said he hit him deliberately has helped, Especially since other who were in the meeting have said thats not actually what Nico said or meant.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28921431

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-2733735/Lewis-Hamilton-s-claims-team-mate-Nico-Rosberg-collided-purpose-broadly-correct-admit-Mercedes.html

Mercedes said Hamilton's remarks were a "broadly accurate" representation of what went on in the meeting.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/12433/9438433/lewis-hamilton-claims-nico-rosberg-confessed-to-deliberately-crashing-into-him-at-spa

According to Wolff, claims that Rosberg admitted crashed deliberately are "nonsense". However, the Mercedes boss has reputedly confirmed Rosberg acknowledged ‘he could have avoided crashing but didn’t [in order to ] make a point.'

So it does appear that Mercedes initially suggested Hamilton's comments were accurate, only later for clarification by Toto Wolff, perhaps genuine, or perhaps a PR exercise, in order to stop any potential penalty for Rosberg.

The anger comes from the thought that it was deliberate, in addition to Monaco.
    If it was a clumsy mistake, less so, even if Rosberg did gain from it.

From this seasons leniency there are allowing racing incidents to lately go unpunished, and on this seasons precedence, they make it difficult to punish anyone.

There is now a real issue, what happens if in Abu Dhabi, they clash again and it changes the outcome of the World Championship, with Double Points it is more than possible. Will Stewards intervene in that case.

I know my post is not relating to Broadcasting topic, but we either discuss non broadcasting issues on this thread or we don't.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    Sky Sports News HQ gone mental on the Hamilton and Rosberg saga.
    Brundle on phone, Herbert live from Stratford upon Avon chatting about it at length.
    Ted Kravitz special coming up later.

Quite frankly whatever you think about the whole thing, this is ratings dynamite, and you cannot blame Sky for making a lot of it.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    Quite frankly whatever you think about the whole thing, this is ratings dynamite, and you cannot blame Sky for making a lot of it.

Indeed, and with viewing figures down both here and in Germany, F1 certainly needs it...
  • Options
    TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the pits channel:
    Christian Horner - "Atta boy, Fantastic, Unbelievable drive, Unbelievable"
    Simon Rennie - "Straght in the pit lane please, Fail 5 fail Fail 5 fail, Straight in the pit lane. Really awesome drive mate."
    Christian Horner - "How did you do that"
    Simon Rennie - "Absolutely amazing, We'll see you in a second"
    Daniel Ricciardo - "Woooo, ahhhh come on. Thanks guys, That was fun to drive"

There probably wasn't time to broadcast it on the world feed as they don't do the slow-down lap at Spa like at other tracks. Once the other battles were completed further down the field, Ricciardo was already parked up and getting out of his car.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    Are you saying it's odd that they don't use him more on their other coverage, or that they don't use one of their existing presenters for the archive stuff? I presume Steve is working for Sky freelance, as he also does the Touring Cars on ITV.

Either or.

It seems odd that he's the general go-to person when they produce a "programme", but he doesn't feature at all in any of the actual F1 racing shows that are the bread and butter of the channel. It's like they're trying to make Steve Rider the "face" of a channel, the credible figurehead of it - except not the important part of the channel, just the bits of niche retro filler that they stick on to pad out the racing into a full channel.

He certainly adds a bit of gravitas to it and a bit of credibility (for what Iittle exposure it probably gets) and I assume the arrangement they have suits everyone involved with Rider's other commitments, so no big deal. Seems a bit odd, though probably just me.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of wish Lewis had slowed down, waited for Rosberg to catch up, blocked him for a few turns, made it look like he was letting him past, then side-swiped him off the circuit. Not only would that have made for compelling viewing, it would have tightened things up at the top of the points standings (especially given Ricciardo's win), and made the next race that much more interesting.

The equitable thing for Mercedes to do would be dump a bag of sugar into Rosberg's fuel tank at the first pit stop at Monza. Or a banana in the exhaust pipe.
  • Options
    deadmancarldeadmancarl Posts: 2,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the fall out between drivers should make for some very good racing in the next few races, especially if either driver are close to each other on the track.
    Remember that Ayrton Senna is Lewis' idol so we might end up with similar racing as to what happened between Senna and Prost.
    The broadcasters must be looking forward to the final races.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    I sort of wish Lewis had slowed down, waited for Rosberg to catch up, blocked him for a few turns, made it look like he was letting him past, then side-swiped him off the circuit. Not only would that have made for compelling viewing, it would have tightened things up at the top of the points standings (especially given Ricciardo's win), and made the next race that much more interesting.

The equitable thing for Mercedes to do would be dump a bag of sugar into Rosberg's fuel tank at the first pit stop at Monza. Or a banana in the exhaust pipe.

It was interesting that they decided to retire Lewis just before the point he was about to be lapped by Ricciardo and Rosberg.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    lettice wrote: »
    Eddie, really made a mess of that podium interview, what did he expect. Let the fans have their say. I booed Rosberg too.

Martin Brundle did exactly the same during the podium interviews when the crowd booed Vettel.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They really should just have a brief intro, show the race, give out the prizes, dispense with those mind numbing embarassing podium interviews, show the points tables, keep some of the post race interviews with the drivers and remind us when the next race is. Oh that was what they used to do years ago.

All in all currently it is an overly long tedious load of waffle flowing from vastly overpaid presenters with large egos who spout very little worth listening to which is why I always record it and use the skip as much as it will at once button.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    They really should just have a brief intro, show the race, give out the prizes, dispense with those mind numbing embarassing podium interviews, show the points tables, keep some of the post race interviews with the drivers and remind us when the next race is. Oh that was what they used to do years ago.

All in all currently it is an overly long tedious load of waffle flowing from vastly overpaid presenters with large egos who spout very little worth listening to which is why I always record it and use the skip as much as it will at once button.

While we are at it, don't bother with qualifying on tv and show the races as highlights at 11pm at night with Murray Walker presenting. :eek:
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Years ago (the early 90s) I had to follow the Brazilian GP on CEEFAX as it wasn't shown live (except on Eurosport), Years ago technical aspects might be explained through a 2 minute spot by Jonathan Palmer if you were lucky.

Yes there's waffle but I'll sit through a bit of waffle to get all the other stuff. I was listening to a podcast (featuring fake Charlie Whiting and others) during the summer break talking about coverage across the pond (and how they long for more extensive coverage) and it makes you realise just how good we've got it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Years ago (the early 90s) I had to follow the Brazilian GP on CEEFAX as it wasn't shown live (except on Eurosport), Years ago technical aspects might be explained through a 2 minute spot by Jonathan Palmer if you were lucky.

Yes there's waffle but I'll sit through a bit of waffle to get all the other stuff. I was listening to a podcast (featuring fake Charlie Whiting and others) during the summer break talking about coverage across the pond (and how they long for more extensive coverage) and it makes you realise just how good we've got it.

Depends on your view of the bits in bold, we obviously differ on that. :)
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather have loads of coverage that you can choose not to watch if you want - rather than little or no coverage where you don't get the choice.

I too can remember "watching" the races via ceefax - the running order used tog et updated every 10 or so laps.

Not what I would call ideal coverage.
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member

So everybody else should not be able to watch pre or post race coverage because you personally, don't enjoy it?
  • Options
    lincsatlincsat Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    I would rather have loads of coverage that you can choose not to watch if you want - rather than little or no coverage where you don't get the choice.

I too can remember "watching" the races via ceefax - the running order used tog et updated every 10 or so laps.

Not what I would call ideal coverage.

I can remember "Watching" on Italian TV Teletext as even Ceefax didn't do live coverage at the time - now that is going back a bit :)
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember having to wait until Motoring News came out before you heard who won BTCC races if you weren't there!
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member

So....Because YOU don't like something, no one should have it?
    Very mature that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one forces you to watch any of the pre or post race content, but there is many millions that like it, so tough!
  • Options
    andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Don't have a problem with the pre and post race stuff. Don't watch it myself (along with over half the viewers according to BARB) but no reason it shouldn't be on for the die-hards.

If you don't want it, turn on/off the coverage or recording at the start and end of the race and don't deny the extras to those who want it. Simples.
  • Options
    FillyourbootsFillyourboots Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »

Nascar or the BTCC will scratch that itch for you. No-one has any desire to see single-seaters used as weapons.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    No one forces you to watch any of the pre or post race content, but there is many millions that like it, so tough!

Actually if you look at the tv ratings you'll see thats not true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    So....Because YOU don't like something, no one should have it?
    Very mature that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of maturity, it is just my opinion which I was under the impression was ok to voice, according to you it seems not.

Unless you've done a survey your claim about millions is just that.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking of maturity, it is just my opinion which I was under the impression was ok to voice, according to you it seems not.

Unless you've done a survey your claim about millions is just that.

Fine to have your opinion - and to say you ONLY watch the race without the fluff, but don't go "there should only be the race" as some voice of the world because no one else watches it, when many do!!
  • Options
    FOMFanFOMFan Posts: 5,467
    Forum Member
    I'm working on something. Very early days (and completely personal/un-official - more of a proof of concept if anything else): http://i.imgur.com/4qXRqKW.jpg (So early I haven't even mocked up any proper channel images lol)
This discussion has been closed.