Options

Terry and June

Comments

• Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    And surely, the prupose of the Major's racism is to illustrate what a stupid old duffer he is?

Homophobic too. "Pansy? Where?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dai13371 wrote: »
    Much preferred Bless this House with Sid James and No place like Home with William Gaunt, although no doubt both will also be ripped to shreds here.

Not by me, I liked them both as well,
    we have lost some great characters like Sid James.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely only the PC brigade would find Fawlty Towers racist.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    'Bless this House' was a cosy suburban sitcom as I recall but in a different league to Terry and June which is dire. Just come in from work and had a scroll through the channels.

T&J appeared to be playing Bridge with some snooty bloke. Surfed right past them!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry and Jerry had the same boss who treated both June and Margo the same way.

So the actor playing the boss wasn't typecast in the least then :D
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Terry and Jerry had the same boss who treated both June and Margo the same way.

I always thought that CJ from 'The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin' was another similar bombastic character.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the actor playing the boss wasn't typecast in the least then :D

And not at all parodied by Mitchell & Webb in " Hennimore!!" ;)
  • Options
    hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that CJ from 'The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin' was another similar bombastic character.

There`s a lot of the about in real life too......................mores the pity!:mad:
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    hooter wrote: »
    There`s a lot of the about in real life too......................mores the pity!:mad:

They didn't get where they are today without being bombastic!!!
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fawlty Towers is full of racist jokes.

Mrs Chase to Manuel "Don't you have dogs in Calcutta?"

The Major to Basil "And the strange thing was... throughout the morning she kept referring to the Indians as ****. "No no no," I said, "the **** are the West Indians. These people are wogs." "No, no," she said. "All cricketers are ****."

The Major to Basil " Bunch of Krauts, that's what they are, all of 'em. Bad eggs!"

"He's from Barcelona. It would be quicker to train an ape!"

Sybil to Basil "He's lazy. He's nothing but a half witted, thick Irish joke!"

In some of these jokes, though, the person making the racist remark is the one being ridiculed - the Major, and Basil on Manuel.
  • Options
    Midnight RunnerMidnight Runner Posts: 1,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see this is now being repeated on ITV3. I saw two today: one where they move house (presumably away from 'Sir Dennis') and the farcical one with the 'stolen carpet' and them returning it to the office at night via a hydraulic hoist. :confused:

I'd quite forgotten how dreadful it is! It was a laughter-free zone, especially compared with comparable 70s sit-coms such as George and Mildred.

I really must get writing again if stuff like this still gets commissioned!

Couldn't agree more, one of the worst sitcoms I've ever watched.

I love lots of 1970s sitcoms but T&J was dreadful. The funniest bit was the sunlounger breaking when Terry sat down at the start, but even that stopped being funny after you'd seen it two or three times.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved Terry and June, starts on Drama on Monday @ 2:40 in the afternoon (and presumably repeated at 7pm), hope they show most of it, or even all of it tbh, as when its been repeated before, i think they've only showed the odd series or 2.
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love this show as a small kid, but then sight gags about collapsing deckchairs etc tickled me more back then.:D

The episode that immediately springs to mind whenever I think of the show, is the one where Terry gets the satellite dish. This was the mid-eighties, and sky hadn't kicked off yet, I was fascinated by it, and the dish was HUGE.:D

I agree with those who say it's dated, of course it is, yet some episodes still raise a laugh. I can't help but draw similarities between T&J and One Foot in the Grave when I watch it. Both shows are about fussy, irate middle aged men, and their long suffering spouses. Even some of the situations are similar. Maybe David Renwick was influenced by T&J?
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine lives in their house.

South Croydon :D
  • Options
    jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I would like to see the fore-runner to T&J - Happy Ever After.

I don't think that has been repeated since the early 90's on UK Gold or Gold Tv or whatever it was back then.

Incidentally Terry's boss also played Mildred's brother-in-law in G&M - similar to hi T&J and Good Life character.

Reginald Marsh - seems to have been typecast.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to groan when Terry and June came on, but now I remember it with affection.
    One thing I still admire about the show, it didn't pretend to be anything other than an old fashioned sitcom. The two stars had perfect comic timing, the result of years of experience "treading the boards".
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    June Whitfield is 88 now. Such a classic show.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    June Whitfield is 88 now. Such a classic show.

June , a stalwart of Brit Comedy all the way back to the 1950s

I was thinking she may be the last remaining actor to have been in a Hancock show but maybe Bill Kerr is still with us.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    I just been watching the classic Terry and June, but have noticed something strange

In season 2 episode 3 terrys nephew arrives, he rings the door bell and askes for a quid.... terry gives him a coin and in turn goes to the driver of the taxi

what is strange is, pound coins came into circulation in 1983 yet this episode is from 1980.

I need to get the series on dvds butsome of them being deleted is so bloody expensive.

There must be a easier way than just using ioffer to get them at a reasonable price.

60 quid for series 3 is just taking the pi*s!
  • Options
    jonno65jonno65 Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I need to get the series on dvds butsome of them being deleted is so bloody expensive.

There must be a easier way than just using ioffer to get them at a reasonable price.

60 quid for series 3 is just taking the pi*s!

Hi - I have just watched it back on freeze frame / slow motion. (Sad I know)
    Terry appears to pass nothing of note (pun intended) to his nephew.
    I suppose an assumption could be that its 2 x 50p - I am sure that has been debated before.

I am so surprised to hear they are out of print - I think I ought to make backup copies of mine just in case!
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    I'd rather watch 10 episodes of Terry and June than one of The Royle Family or Extras

Glad it's not just me that thinks that!

I hate 'modern' so called comedies, mainly cos I don't find any of them funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonno65 wrote: »
    Hi - I have just watched it back on freeze frame / slow motion. (Sad I know)
    Terry appears to pass nothing of note (pun intended) to his nephew.
    I suppose an assumption could be that its 2 x 50p - I am sure that has been debated before.

I am so surprised to hear they are out of print - I think I ought to make backup copies of mine just in case!

Yeah 4 series of the dvds have been deleted that they are being sold for silly sums of money.

Similar to till death us do part dvds. Some cheeks git is just selling the disks without the cover for 60 quid.
  • Options
    darrenh2011darrenh2011 Posts: 2,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this starts from monday 9th June on Drama channel
  • Options
    judomolejudomole Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    Terry & June is arguably considered the fluffiest & safest sitcom in history so I was quite surprised watching the first series again on dvd to find some quite horrible racism in one episode where T&J move into their new home only to find a black guy knock the door. Cue hysterics from the audience as Terry panics at the thought of having black neighbours and complaining to June 'but...he's a ****!' :eek:

This Does not appear on my DVD series 1,2 or 3 name the exact episode you say this is said in or withdraw this claim
  • Options
    oranges71oranges71 Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not remember the 'but...he's a ****!' scene.

I do recall a scene where an Asian man rings their bell. June asks who it was and Terry replies something like : ' it was just some wo.........', stopping before he says 'wog'.

Typical T&J joke:
    Terry was arrested by the police and released. When he gets home, June asks him: 'did they charge you?'. Terry replies : 'no, it was free'.

I loved it and watched it until it ended.