Options

POLL: Should David Tennant Leave?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Baroness BunkumBaroness Bunkum Posts: 4,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love him as the doctor, and he is a superb actor.
    But it's time for a change of character for the doctor, I think. Less of the manic smiling and 'panto' behaviour.

It's the character I'm fed up of, not DT.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    I couldn't agree more.
    The Doctor character needs to be portrayed a lot more seriously a lot more often than it is at the moment. I actually hoped that his manic flippant exterior was going to be revealed as just an over-compensation for his real internal grief rage and frustration at the loss of his planet and his people, which would eventually all come out, but I'm still waiting!
    :)
  • Options
    Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I've voted "No" because personally I think he's doing a fine job at the mo.

However, as much as I love David Tennant to bits I wouldn't mind if he does decide to leave and go on to do other things.

David Tennant staying longer is just a Bonus for me but I won't complain when he does evantually leave:).
  • Options
    dddddarrendddddarren Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more.
    The Doctor character needs to be portrayed a lot more seriously a lot more often than it is at the moment. I actually hoped that his manic flippant exterior was going to be revealed as just an over-compensation for his real internal grief rage and frustration at the loss of his planet and his people, which would eventually all come out, but I'm still waiting!

i like david tennant but wish he would stop doing the churchill dog impression.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't agree more.

But doesn't that make it the writers fault more than his?
    People who have seen David do intense know he is good and has the acting range. Maybe with Moffat in charge we could see that other side of the doctor.:)
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kitty_MC wrote: »
    People who have seen David do intense know he is good and has the acting range. Maybe with Moffat in charge we could see that other side of the doctor.:)

Sometimes - just sometimes - he can combine the jokiness with seriousness (cf his video link with the Sontaran leader the other week) in a way that really reminds me of Tom Baker at his best, which shows what a damn fine actor he is. But, yeah, if we have to have one or the other, I'd much rather have the 'dark' DT as opposed to the manic, gurning, mockney "Oh, you are BRILLIANT!" DT which - quite frankly - gets on my t*ts.

As regards the original question, yes, of course he should leave. At some point. All Doctors do. I feel sorry for the poor bloke - all he's had since he took over the part has been "When are you leaving?". A less confident actor would have got some kind of complex by now!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No..I think he makes a really good doctor =]
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Slug wrote: »
    Sorry, but this poll is really a lost opportunity. Of course he should leave at some point - or do people want the show to be axed before he gets the chance? Or do people want the show to become "Weekend at Bernie's"? :eek:

Wasn't Weekend at Bernie's essentially a remake of The Tenth Planet?

"Where's the Doctor?"
    "He's...um...err...having a lie down."
    "Well can I speak to him?"
    "No, he's...err...um...felling ill."
  • Options
    Anne CAnne C Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is the best doctor ever. He should have the longest term in office.
    So not for several decades please.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,259
    Forum Member
    I love love love David as the Doctor, I don't think his performance could be anymore perfect..I would love him to stay for series 5, just to see how Steven Moffat would lead the Doctor...If he doesn't, and leaves after the specials, then I will be extremely sad, but the point of Doctor Who is that the Doctor changes, and if David wants to leave, then so be it. It's always exciting to have a new Doctor anyway, everyone plays it differently. If David stayed for decades im pretty sure we still wouldnt get sick of him, but if he feels its the right time to go then it must be.
    Keep looking forward to saturday, then remember theres no Who this week, grrrr :mad::mad:
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Yes.

I want a new doctor, although I wouldn't mind if he stayed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    People who have seen David do intense know he is good and has the acting range. :)
    Of course! That's what I said (I thought) earlier on in the thread! It's actually more the producers than the writers, as they decide fundamentally how characters are portrayed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To all you who want a more serious Doctor all the time, thats ok but personally to me there is a balance, you can't have him serious all the time, you can't be really serious and intense and do the job he does, he has to have fun doing it as well. CE's doctor was very dark, and i think its good that perhaps we had a short term of that - another series would have been great but i think you need a balance and i think they've got it just about right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course! That's what I said (I thought) earlier on in the thread! It's actually more the producers than the writers, as they decide fundamentally how characters are portrayed.

And the director:)
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    I'm in shock that there's a poll. :eek::D

And i voted No, David is the Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And the director:)
    To some extent, as with the writers, but as with any series that has many different directors and writers it is the series producers who maintain the fundamental style and feel of the series, including the continuity of the characterisations.
  • Options
    SpiderBabySpiderBaby Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    Each of us have our own Doctor. When I was 5 Tom Baker (and the Daleks) made me hide behind the sofa. DT many years later makes me laugh and sometimes cry but every Doctor has his time. I think that DT has the specials and Series 5 to go but after that...time to move on (btw, I think he is a deadly Doctor!)