Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    So about 19% for Watchdog, with no +1 to bump up the share. Not too shabby, decent alternative to ITV's LE.

I dont particularly like Watchdog but anything is better than Mr Smug. :p
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    OK because a couple of people have quoted 1.24m incl +1 but don't know where they got that from.
    Looking at the DS report again they are doing to 1 d.p. again so it's possible it did 1.16M or something at 10PM and then a further 80K at 11PM.

The 1.24M will be accurate if it came from Bothers Bar.
  • Options
    southladsouthlad Posts: 1,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any recent figures for Good Morning Britain and BBC Breakfast?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Interesting. Not surprising the interactive element seduced C4, it's exactly the sort of gimmick they go for. I'd imagine itv aren't best pleased about this development.

But if the C4 show was even a minor success then it might boost Rising Star. Of course if it flops bad then it could have a deterimental affect.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Interesting. Not surprising the interactive element seduced C4, it's exactly the sort of gimmick they go for. I'd imagine itv aren't best pleased about this development.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    But if the C4 show was even a minor success then it might boost Rising Star. Of course if it flops bad then it could have a deterimental affect.

Reminds me of the BBC1 talent show spoiler When Will I Be Famous with Graham Norton before Britain's Got Talent started. BGT was still a hit in its first year, When Will I Be Famous wasn't. I think a dancing dog won the BBC show.

What I did find interesting was Bother's Bar talking about Rising Star, they said its performance worldwide was patchier than they'd have you believe.

http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=8032
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Reminds me of the BBC1 talent show spoiler When Will I Be Famous with Graham Norton before Britain's Got Talent started. BGT was still a hit in its first year, When Will I Be Famous wasn't.

Poor comparison. When will i be famous borrowed none of the BGT format . It was a mega cheap live show with no auditions.
    This C4 show is taking the USP of rising star and is even using an adjusted stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of the BBC1 talent show spoiler When Will I Be Famous with Graham Norton before Britain's Got Talent started. BGT was still a hit in its first year, When Will I Be Famous wasn't. I think a dancing dog won the BBC show.

That would never happen on the much classier BGT. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Poor comparison. When will i be famous borrowed none of the BGT format . It was a mega cheap live show with no auditions.
    This C4 show is taking the USP of rising star and is even using an adjusted stage.

It was cheap but in essence was a talent show like BGT was essentially once the live shows started. Was viewed as a spoiler by some. Channel 4 look like they want to ride the coat tails of Rising Star and singing shows in general. Not very original from Channel 4 at all.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: ITV was the most watched channel from 7 to 10pm. At 8, a new series of #AllStarMrandMrs began with 4.15m/22.0%, ahead of Watchdog's 3.55m."
    Does that mean they weren't most-watched for the other 21 hours of the day? :D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    Monday, June 23
    7.30pm: Coronation Street (Hour-long episode)
    8.00pm: EastEnders (Hour-long episode, 30 minute clash with Coronation Street)
    No Emmerdale episode tonight.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/scoop/a577191/corrie-eastenders-emmerdale-schedule-changes-up-to-june-27.html
    When there was a murder of a murderer(!) in an hour-long EastEnders a few years ago (2010?), the episode was up against the second half of an hour-long Emmerdale and an episode of Coronation St.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 will continue to handle its own advertising sales following its purchase by Viacom, according to the US media giant’s boss Philippe Dauman.

Bit of a blow to BSkyB.

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/broadcasters/viacom-boss-c5-can-keep-ad-sales-operation/5073083.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=2319
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Can we have a pre-tournament agreement?

Can we agree that ratings for the World Cup are going to be largely unimportant for either channel until the time comes when both sides show exactly the same match? ITV have some good games, BBC1 have some good games. Ratings are going to be determined upon the interest shown in a particular match and not what channel it's on. I really don't see the point in "ITV/BBC1 (delete as applicable) were triumphant in the ratings last night and are clearly thrashing the other side in their world cup coverage" posts because it is the football match itself that got the ratings, the channel it was broadcast on is just academic. An idea might be to just have a daily "World Cup Ratings Round-Up" and record the ratings by all means but not argue about which channel is best. Otherwise this thread will be a horrid place for the next month.

The ratings thread can be deadly dull at times, BB +/- 3%, CS in crisis, EE struggling to get 6m.....etc...........the World Cup will affect everything in its path, soaps will be 'crushed' (for early cup matches), a record 2014 peak potentially, hopefully a record average if England manage to draw Argentina in a last 8/16. :p Aside from Wimbledon there is going to be little else to cheer about in the next 4 weeks. England are going to rate amazingly well on Friday night, so expect some hoop-la here...and excuses on both sides why things were amazing/poor....:D
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    happybbfan wrote: »

0.37m (5.7%) for DOND, terrible share.
    0.33m (6.3%) for Countdown.
    The Chase continues to narrow the gap with Pointless, just before both are disrupted by the World Cup.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    Are there any World Cup spin-off shows this time round?
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    Thank you! :D

Series high for Happy Valley. What a success it's been!
    Summary of Happy Valley ratings

[B]Episode			    Overnight Rating	Official Rating[/B]
    Episode 1 (29 April 2014)   6.26m (27.3%)	7.64m (+1.38m)
    Episode 2 (06 May 2014)     5.40m (25.3%)	6.62m (+1.22m)
    Episode 3 (13 May 2014)	    5.72m (26.8%)	6.79m (+1.06m)
    Episode 4 (20 May 2014)	    5.79m (26.7%)	7.33m (+1.54m)
    Episode 5 (27 May 2014)	    5.34m (22.2%)	7.10m (+1.76m)
    Episode 6 (03 June 2014)    6.18m (28.0%)	7.78m (+1.60m)
    [B]Average			    5.78m (26.1%)	7.21m (+1.43m)[/B]

Thanks for that Lewie. :) Fantastic and well deserved. Line of Duty probably would have added 2m on the main channel.
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    A few bits of scheduling:

- A Question of Sport Super Sunday (18:50, BBC1, Saturday 21st June)
    => in between F1 Qualifying and Germany vs Ghana.
    - Our Queen (20:30, ITV, Saturday 21st June)
    => premièred on Sunday 17th March 2013 to 6.79m
    - Casualty (21:15, BBC1, Sunday 22nd June)
    - When Andy Won Wimbledon (22:35, BBC1, Monday 23rd June)

Regarding Coronation Street clashing with EastEnders, one could argue that they could put it on the Tuesday.

As for Emmerdale....

- w/c. 12/05 - 6 episodes
    - w/c. 19/05 - 5 episodes (-1)
    - w/c. 26/05 - 6 episodes
    - w/c. 02/06 - 6 episodes
    - w/c. 09/06 - 6 episodes
    - w/c. 16/06 - 3 episodes (-3)
    - w/c. 23/06 - 4 episodes (-2)

Unless ITV deliberately commissioned a week's less worth of Emmerdale for 2014, that means they've got six episodes to make up....

...which means six weeks worth of Tuesday clashes with EastEnders. ;) Corrie on the other hand...

- w/c. 12/05 - 5 episodes
    - w/c. 19/05 - 5 episodes
    - w/c. 26/05 - 4 episodes (-1)
    - w/c. 02/06 - 7 episodes (+2)
    - w/c. 09/06 - 5 episodes
    - w/c. 16/06 - 3 episodes (-2)
    - w/c. 23/06 - 4 episodes (-1)

Only two for Corrie, which presumably will be Thursday slots.
    Emmerdale also lost one w/c 26th May due to BGT. Corrie will only have 1 to make up with all 5 episodes airing w/c 23rd June.

Looks like 23rd June will be Tina's funeral, I doubt the clash will harm Corrie much if at all. It appears that ITV kept back the 2 soap clashes as a spoiler.
    When there was a murder of a murderer(!) in an hour-long EastEnders a few years ago (2010?), the episode was up against the second half of an hour-long Emmerdale and an episode of Coronation St.

26th November 2009

19:00 - 20:00 : Emmerdale: 6.64m
    19:30 - 20:30 : EastEnders: 6.62m
    20:00 - 20:30 : Corrie: 6.84m

The clash was caused by IAC and EE making up the episode they lost to CIN. You were right about the EE episode, it was Denise & Lucas' wedding where Lucas also murdered her ex, Owen.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Georged123 wrote: »

Like James Corden etc.

No there isn't, whether that is a programme decision, or more likely because there is no place for them to go because of there being late night matches, we'll probably find out in 2 or 4 years time
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    That tussle in 2009 must have been one of the closest results ever between the big three soaps.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just seen a trailer for "A Question of Sport: Super Saturday"

Looks a bit crap, where the panellists arsing about will be having more fun than the viewers at home. Jason Manford hosts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

Looks a bit crap, where the panellists arsing about will be having more fun than the viewers at home. Jason Manford hosts.

Looks like a rubbish League Of Their Own to me. Not interested in this one.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »

I haven't seen the trailer but from what I can make out it's going to be on for 5 weeks in total, not necessarily every week, but it is a cheap filler show that will play out between and during the sporting events. It isn't I believe, regarded as a potential hit, but is what it is, filler. Whether the public will take to Mansford though is entirely a different discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's vs Backchat World Cup special with Jack Whitehall that's on BBC2 on Monday instead of BBC3.

I can see a few more BBC3 shows moving to BBC2 along with Russell Howard's Good News.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    The only information that I've found is that they clashed on 10 August 2001. Below is an article from Broadcast and EE beat Corrie by 1 million. It was around the time EE went from 3 eps to 4 eps a week.

It was the very first night that 'stEnders went from three to four episodes a week, ITV showed an hour long Emmerdale and then Corrie at eight and then absolutely shamelessly tried to pretend they'd done nothing wrong and it was the Beeb at fault, as if Corrie was always on at eight o'clock. Amazing brass neck. As you can see BBC1 made it a special 'stEnders night with a special programme at 7pm (which was absolutely awful) and a compilation of Alistair McGowan's 'stEnders sketches at 8.30, moving Top of the Pops to the classic Thursday 7pm slot.

ITV also did that when 'stEnders moved to three nights a week in 1994, they did an hour long episode opposite the second Monday 'stEnders.
    That is certainly the template for them. And speaking of Channel 4 why do they feel the need to do a singing show? I'm sure Jay Hunt said a couple of years ago that she wouldn't have one on the channel.

Given the presence of Alan Carr I'm assuming this won't be taking seriously at all and I'm assuming it's a comedy show masquerading as a talent show. If it actually is taken seriously, that is a rubbish idea.
    There's vs Backchat World Cup special with Jack Whitehall that's on BBC2 on Monday instead of BBC3.

That's a repeat from BBC3, it was on the other week. As mentioned, because the games go on until 1am there's not really much space for them to go. The only Lighter Side Of The World Cup business looks to be Baker and Kelly on BT at 7pm every night but, much as I like them, I probably won't be watching it because with three live games a day I simply won't have time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Looks like a rubbish League Of Their Own to me. Not interested in this one.

"a rubbish League Of Their Own" - is that an oxymoron? :D
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    So Brazil open the World Cup for the first time since 1998, when a peak audience of 14 million watched them against Scotland. Some interesting snippets at the time:
    Telly chiefs said yesterday that 2.1million Scots saw the game - 76 per cent of everyone watching TV at the time.

The BBC claimed victory in the ratings war with 1.5million viewers, compared to STV's 600,000.

Compared with that melting pot...
    America is finding the biggest show on earth a total turn-off in the TV stakes - with less than ONE per cent of viewers tuning in.

Only 592,000 households out of a possible 74million who take top cable sports channel ESPN switched on for Wednesday's Brazil v Scotland opener.

That's a massive slump of 57 per cent on their last ratings when the USA hosted the tournament in 1994.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do we expect for the opening tonight? I predict a 11.1m average, 13m peak.
This discussion has been closed.