Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    That performance brought the house down!!

Not funny.
  • Options
    Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The analogue signal will not be dropped anytime in the near future.until a majority of listeners switch over to DAB.

I stream online, using Radioplayer, and 99% of the time it is okay. (It tends to pause a couple of seconds) when a new e-mail alert comes in).

Sleep well and don't worry that LBC will still be on 97.3 in the morning - if not it is two tin cans and a bit of string!

Thanks for the info, Martin.
  • Options
    deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's Anthony Davies about to announce? Is he ending his show, I wonder?
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    H stepping down from his show and Duncan taking over!

I reckon Olly Mann will be doing Duncan's slot, then.
  • Options
    smurfs5smurfs5 Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anthony Davis is leaving the night show. Duncan Barkes will replace him on 10-1.
  • Options
    marflittsmarflitts Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    What's Anthony Davies about to announce? Is he ending his show, I wonder?

Yep, Duncan Barkes is taking over
  • Options
    Mike RackabitMike Rackabit Posts: 4,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck to AntHony Davis. I enjoyed his shows, I am also a fan of Duncan Barkes but AD will be missed on LBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I only caught the very last bit of H's round-up. I heard him say he will 'be around' and that night time work takes its toll, but did he say what else he will be doing?
  • Options
    marflittsmarflitts Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    I only caught the very last bit of H's round-up. I heard him say he will 'be around' and that night time work takes its toll, but did he say what else he will be doing?

http://theanthonydavis.wordpress.com/2013/12/20/i-have-some-news/
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Not funny.

I thought someone wouldn't have a sense of humour. (If I could rolleyes I would)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marflitts wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Hopefully he'll take over the Julia Hartley Hitler or Petrie Hosken show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    habby wrote: »
    I thought someone wouldn't have a sense of humour. (If I could rolleyes I would)
    You'd better roll your eyes at me too then, because I don't think it's even slightly comical either. Dozens of people were injured.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member

I am very sorry to hear this news. For what it's worth, my opinion is that Anthony is not only the best presenter on LBC but the best radio presenter of his generation. In their very different ways, he and Jo Good on BBC Radio London were the reassuring voices in the capital at night and as such are unable ever to be adequately replaced.

Duncan - and Simon Lederman on BBC London - are both acceptable enough but it seems to me that I am likely now to be listening more to Simon and indeed Paul Miller on BBC Radio Surrey at that time than Duncan. I was already starting to veer off in that direction and also towards Radio 4, R4E and Talksport though not to 5 Live.

In this economic climate and with attitudes in Parliament as they are now, I want to hear discussions that are lighter than the umpteenth rerun of politics. There is only so much talk about the thievery and aggression in those with power I am now able to stomach frankly. The nature of it has dramatically changed and for the worse.

It was only because Anthony was a normal voice of reason - I could so easily identify with him - which kept me tuned to LBC at night. He softened the impacts of the worst with an evident caring for people. Had I been in his position, it would have got me down having to discuss the latest dire episode just as it can impact on listeners.

Now I don't know if that was a part of it or not. Everyone knows that late night work does take its toll and he has said as much. It could well be that he is moving into the news related daytime schedule and, if so, that will be great. At the same time, I would like to hear him doing something more people-based with his extensive interests, background in comedy etc. I made a joke of the former recently but he is always very good on those things.

To my mind he should be on the BBC somewhere, either nationally or in the capital, but if not perhaps ultimately in Steve or Clive's programme slot if they ever have to leave through ill health. Whatever he does, I have a feeling that my time of sleeping will more often than not be earlier. Duncan from 10pm to 1am is one thing but the most likely presenters through the night are not going to appeal at all. I've given up with Cristo and don't take to the Olly guy.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think the late show suits AD somehow. I hardly listened to him in that slot, but regards him leaving due the timeslot I can understand that as I work permanent nightshift.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    H's health has been in question (to use the words of another radio man) for some time, due to his late nights and hectic days - he's always doing something, somewhere.

Although I've been critical of him in recent years, I hope to hear him again on LBC. I think it's just a case of too many late nights for him, he needs a long break from it.

To be honest, I'm a bit unsettled, I hate changes like this, and I will miss the sound of his voice, even if I didn't listen to all the benefit/politic topics.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Duncan Barkes is no longer doing overnights now too!. He will be doing some nights from 10pm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting that many of us listen during the day to LBC and haven't a clue about the night time presenters.Would some of them be a good addition during the day? I have been wandering over to Radio Two as find Jeremy Vine a relief sometimes to JOB and his endless rants.I also gave up on Mystery Hour as he truly is the pub bore who refuses to let others have their say..
    Horrible news from the West End,we tend to mock healt hand safety issues but presume this and the verdict at the Old Bailey will be NF main topic.Anyone hear JOB bash IDS and co yesterday?...No other LBC presenter even mentioned it? Why?
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    H's health has been in question (to use the words of another radio man) for some time, due to his late nights and hectic days - he's always doing something, somewhere.

Although I've been critical of him in recent years, I hope to hear him again on LBC. I think it's just a case of too many late nights for him, he needs a long break from it.

To be honest, I'm a bit unsettled, I hate changes like this, and I will miss the sound of his voice, even if I didn't listen to all the benefit/politic topics.

Im very surprised by this. He had worked hard to make the show his own. I think I like Duncan but I have not heard much of him. To me the late show is the most important show - I use the radio to go to sleep and I dont like the idea of getting someone I find difficult to listen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New-Look Schedule For LBC 97.3 In 2014:

http://www.lbc.co.uk/new-look-schedule-for-lbc-973-in-2014-83183

So no other changes. .....
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Anthony all the very best but cannot pretend that I'm not delighted that Duncan is taking over the 10-1 slot. I've tried listening to AD but he just doesn't do it for me. Still, it was good for him that he went out on a big, ongoing story.

I can think of at least one other of our happy little band who now has an extra reason to celebrate her new internet radio!! (Morning Twinks ;-) )

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think somebody must have had a word with Steve about his 84850 twitch. I only heard it twice in the last half hour!
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    It's interesting that many of us listen during the day to LBC and haven't a clue about the night time presenters.Would some of them be a good addition during the day? I have been wandering over to Radio Two as find Jeremy Vine a relief sometimes to JOB and his endless rants.I also gave up on Mystery Hour as he truly is the pub bore who refuses to let others have their say..
    Horrible news from the West End,we tend to mock healt hand safety issues but presume this and the verdict at the Old Bailey will be NF main topic.Anyone hear JOB bash IDS and co yesterday?...No other LBC presenter even mentioned it? Why?

I heard it on the web. Think it is on the LBC website. That Jeremy Vine programme - previously Jimmy Young - is where I would place Anthony on Radio 2 although JV is ok. While both Anthony and Duncan claim to be apolitical, there is no doubt in my mind that DB is much further to the right. So that's even less balance on the station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Anthony all the very best but cannot pretend that I'm not delighted that Duncan is taking over the 10-1 slot. I've tried listening to AD but he just doesn't do it for me. Still, it was good for him that he went out on a big, ongoing story.

I can think of at least one other of our happy little band who now has an extra reason to celebrate her new internet radio!! (Morning Twinks ;-) )

Yes, I had forgotten that is why I came to the tread this morning - I was going to say how good he was last night.
  • Options
    treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

here here i too wish Anthony all the best and im glad Duncan is moving to the 10-1 slot i dont mind Olly Mann but in small doses so overnights if im awake is fine by me :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Im very surprised by this. He had worked hard to make the show his own. I think I like Duncan but I have not heard much of him. To me the late show is the most important show - I use the radio to go to sleep and I dont like the idea of getting someone I find difficult to listen to.

Just another tedious Tory who likes to call his audience thick. A bit Steve Allen-lite.
This discussion has been closed.