Options

Eastenders 19/04/2011 - A familiar face returns... Episode Discussion

Comments

• Options
    Free RadicalFree Radical Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Ronnie is too far gone to really be concerned with anyone else.

Good to see Charlie back, Shame it's only short-term.

Whitney is so endearingly naive:) I love her. Shona McGarty is a brilliant actress.
  • Options
    princesstinprincesstin Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It struck me with Whitney. If she was getting her picture taken by the reporter which she was going to do then Rob may see it and come looking for?

That's a good point-I found that a bit random. Why take a picture of the baby snatcher's...step-grand-niece-by-marriage? I know it's the closest the reporter could get to Ronnie/ the Brannings, but most papers wouldn't identify Whitney in the write-up-they'd just refer to her as a 'close source' or 'family member'.

But if it's a plot device that leads to Rob tracking Whitney down, that would make more sense.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point-I found that a bit random. Why take a picture of the baby snatcher's...step-grand-niece-by-marriage? I know it's the closest the reporter could get to Ronnie/ the Brannings, but most papers wouldn't identify Whitney in the write-up-they'd just refer to her as a 'close source' or 'family member'.

But if it's a plot device that leads to Rob tracking Whitney down, that would make more sense.

He found her living in Albert Square. If I wanted to find her again, it would surely be the first place he would look
  • Options
    Selina KyleSelina Kyle Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    Whoops posted in wrong topic before!! lol

Amazing again last night. 10/10 for EE at the moment. Its on fine form.
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a curse on the Brannings!! Each of them now has lost a son.

Apart from Jim, not that the loss of his sons would be much of a tragedy :cool:
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Agreed. He deserves a lot more than what Ronnie gave him tonight.
    He deserves more, but Ronnie really wouldn't be in a place right now to give that to him. It would have taken away from the powerfulness of Ronnie's breakdown and her mental illness for her to explain. The "I don't know" fit in with her mental illness. It would be far too soon to show her giving any kind of detailled answer that made sense. Especially when she wouldn't know. The whole point is that Ronnie doesn't remember swapping them as she blackedout and went through a moment of pyschosis when she took Tommy. That is why the "I don't knows and short conversation worked so well". That conversation was my favourite part of the episode, followed closely by Kat holding Tommy with Charlie.
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    how about the details that matter like when she found him, what did she do to revive him, how she managed to be "with it" enough to roam the square knocking on doors for help for 5 mins before coming to the one place where help was before loosing it and swoping the babies, why she lied to him, why she didnt tell him when he stepped out the car, why she lied for so long afterwards, why she was quick enough to have a pop at the midwife who noticed the notes, the list goes on.
    instead we got 2 nos, something about danielle & archie, im evil it & all turns to dust, and a basic thats my final word now sod off find a new shag and leave me alone. Shes not in the position to call the shots now, and she should have explained it to jack in fine detail in the hopes that he could understand, she at least owes him that - mad or not.
    I think that is the point tenchgirl. If you are "mentally ill"or "mad" as you put it, you are NOT capable of giving the above. That is the whole point so seems a bit weird to suggest it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posttraumatic_stress_disorder
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how about the details that matter like when she found him, what did she do to revive him, how she managed to be "with it" enough to roam the square knocking on doors for help for 5 mins before coming to the one place where help was before loosing it and swoping the babies, why she lied to him, why she didnt tell him when he stepped out the car, why she lied for so long afterwards, why she was quick enough to have a pop at the midwife who noticed the notes, the list goes on.

instead we got 2 nos, something about danielle & archie, im evil it & all turns to dust, and a basic thats my final word now sod off find a new shag and leave me alone. Shes not in the position to call the shots now, and she should have explained it to jack in fine detail in the hopes that he could understand, she at least owes him that - mad or not.

Ronnie is self destructing. She can call trhe shots as she wants to be punished. SHe is pushing him away. She will say the same to anyone that tries to visit her, even Roxy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved seeing Charlie back it was really fitting he should come back... but it did occur to me that the fact tommy/james were switched actually made Charlies part in the whole saga worse - if Tommy had died then the fact he was downstairs made no difference, whereas if he had never gone down to the pub the switch would never have been possible :eek::eek:

Finding it a bit strange Michael hasn't been seen or tried to muscle in one way or another - what with not only being Tommys father but also Jacks best mate. Was the actor on holidays or off sick or something?!

Max and Tanya :yawn: nooooo please not 6 or 12 months of those scenes . painful.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,274
    Forum Member
    Ronnie was in my dream last night :eek: :D
  • Options
    bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    He found her living in Albert Square. If I wanted to find her again, it would surely be the first place he would look

As usual, this plot seems to have been conveniently swept under the carpet.
    As for last nights episode, it was another one that just dragged and dragged.
  • Options
    EEFAN21EEFAN21 Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    deleted :cool:
  • Options
    fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as for your first line above about 'how she managed to be "with it" enough to roam the square knocking on doors for help for 5 mins'...that doesn't create any doubt as to her mental state you know....

...she said lastnight to jack something to the effect of that it was like it wasn't her doing it..even though of course it was. she'd be perfectly able to move about from place to place, even looking fairly normal to the outsider, but all the while being in a dream-like state brought on by shock/trauma.
    actually that's a good way to explain it really... have you ever slept walked or seen people sleep walk? it's really weird...the person sleepwalking can do quite normal things and sometimes quite involving and yet all the while totally unaware they are doing it. infact the next morning they'd know nothing about it.

i think your comments above really show the problem that lots including yourself seem to have with this whole storyline..and that's the major lack of understanding of serious emotional damage to a person including the inevitable mental damage.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He deserves more, but Ronnie really wouldn't be in a place right now to give that to him. It would have taken away from the powerfulness of Ronnie's breakdown and her mental illness for her to explain. The "I don't know" fit in with her mental illness. It would be far too soon to show her giving any kind of detailled answer that made sense. Especially when she wouldn't know. The whole point is that Ronnie doesn't remember swapping them as she blackedout and went through a moment of pyschosis when she took Tommy. That is why the "I don't knows and short conversation worked so well". That conversation was my favourite part of the episode, followed closely by Kat holding Tommy with Charlie.

All true - but it still doesn't stop Jack deserving more! The poor man is all at sea at the moment and looking at it FROM HIS POV instead of Ronnie's, it's absolutely awful. How frustrating would it be for HIM at the moment? (never mind downright devastating and confusing.) No proper answers, no reasons why and then he comes up against a brick wall who tells him to go and find someone else :eek::(

I respect how you feel about Ronnie and understand all that you're saying (and agree) but for a change I was looking at it from another perspective, what it must be like to be Jack at the moment. He's realised that his wife hasn't been 'all there' for a while now but never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined this FGS. And Jack's a bit of a neanderthal man who isn't good with coping with out of the ordinary behaviour anyway so this will be driving HIM to the edge too (but obviously not in the same way as Ronnie).

So yes, he deserves more, but he's not going to get his answers yet unfortunately, if ever. And it's good to remember that there are more victims in all this than Kat and Ronnie.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    All true - but it still doesn't stop Jack deserving more! The poor man is all at sea at the moment and looking at it FROM HIS POV instead of Ronnie's, it's absolutely awful. How frustrating would it be for HIM at the moment? (never mind downright devastating and confusing.) No proper answers, no reasons why and then he comes up against a brick wall who tells him to go and find someone else :eek::(

I respect how you feel about Ronnie and understand all that you're saying (and agree) but for a change I was looking at it from another perspective, what it must be like to be Jack at the moment. He's realised that his wife hasn't been 'all there' for a while now but never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined this FGS. And Jack's a bit of a neanderthal man who isn't good with coping with out of the ordinary behaviour anyway so this will be driving HIM to the edge too (but obviously not in the same way as Ronnie).

So yes, he deserves more, but he's not going to get his answers yet unfortunately, if ever. And it's good to remember that there are more victims in all this than Kat and Ronnie.

BIB: Completely agree, and it made me think of a comment Tanya made a few months ago to Max at the beginning of the swap when the family went round to visit baby 'James'. She said something along the lines of 'Jack was always a better boyfriend than you he's good at all that emotional stuff'. Really? Considering Max was one of the first to realise Stacey was mentally ill, was understanding when his wife buried him alive and understanding when his daughter ran him over in a hit and run, I'd personally saw Max was far better at the emotional stuff than Jack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    big dan wrote: »
    BIB:

What does this mean??
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazellis wrote: »
    What does this mean??

BIB? Possibly modern day forum jargon for the under 25s! I've absolutely no idea what it abbreviates!
  • Options
    fogfog Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guido9 wrote: »
    BIB? Possibly modern day forum jargon for the under 25s! I've absolutely no idea what it abbreviates!

'bit in bold'

just a guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    fog wrote: »
    'bit in bold'

just a guess.

Yep. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yep. :)

But surely the fact that you've highlighted something in bold means you don't then need a further acronym to explain (or confuse) what part of the post you're referring to???
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roxy sounded angry at the mere mention of Michael. What did he do? Have I missed something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 27
    Forum Member
    revans33 wrote: »
    Same!! Just because your young doesn't make you completely clueless. My friends parents got married at 17 and are still together 20 odd years later with children.

I agree, my parents got together when my Mum was 12! She is now 59 and they are still together, having just celebrated 40 years of marriage! :)
  • Options
    The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    Keeki wrote: »
    Roxy sounded angry at the mere mention of Michael. What did he do? Have I missed something?

I thought Michael was supposed to be in Monday's episode, but seems it was cut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Keeki wrote: »

The spoilers for Monday's ep indicated that he was supposed to appear with Roxy being shocked as he 'makes light of the situation', however this scene was obviously cut from the ep. :) I would assume he joked about Ronnie, which obviously Roxy would not like - however poor continuity to cut a scene, but then keep in dialogue that references it in the next episode!

On another note, I echo the sentiments of others, and am glad that Ronnie's family have not disowned her and understand that she has serious issues. I found Dot's scene in the laundrette with Heather the most touching part of the ep personally, along with Max's frustration at the TV coverage of the saga and turning it off.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The spoilers for Monday's ep indicated that he was supposed to appear with Roxy being shocked as he 'makes light of the situation', however this scene was obviously cut from the ep. :) I would assume he joked about Ronnie, which obviously Roxy would not like - however poor continuity to cut a scene, but then keep in dialogue that references it in the next episode!

On another note, I echo the sentiments of others, and am glad that Ronnie's family have not disowned her and understand that she has serious issues. I found Dot's scene in the laundrette with Heather the most touching part of the ep personally, along with Max's frustration at the TV coverage of the saga and turning it off.

Thanks. :D I was rewatching to see if I'd missed a scene so I'm glad to know I didn't. I liked Dot's scene too but I don't see why she didn't go and visit Ronnie or go to court. Heather would have covered for her. Max was great. Lauren, Abi and Jay watching the coverage and looking stunned was a nice touch too.