Options

Standing up so early on train!

2»

Comments

• Options
    MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we don't all have time to dawdle and need to get off the train for connecting buses or trains. ;-)
  • Options
    laineythenomadlaineythenomad Posts: 3,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it allows time to fight your way through all the idiots blocking the doors, who are not getting off at that particular station but don't make way for those who are. Plus if you don't get there sharpish, the impatient people on the platform start piling on before you can get off.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    christ i`d be bloody furious and just walk over him.

I was trying to find the original video for you but found this news account instead, This version says it wasn't because he wanted to get out early but because he had been watching videos on his laptop and elbowing his neighbour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    A million and one reasons, I expect - thank goodness there are some early queuers as well as those of us happy to wait until the train has stopped. Otherwise we'd all be fighting for the exits.
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I always wait until the train stops - mostly because my balance is horrific and on the times I've tried to walk down the train I've nearly ended up in peoples laps!! :blush:

I don't commute by train everyday so when I do need get a train I always choose the earlier one than I need so I can stay safely seated until the train has completely stopped!

Respect though to those that can walk down trains and not fall over.:)
  • Options
    hallstarhallstar Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when the train has more stops after I get off I like to get up early, as I am paranoid about getting stuck behind someone and missing my stop. If it is Kings cross I am will wait until and take my time.
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LifeisGood wrote: »
    I always try to get up early to avoid the long queues and slow people. It saves a lot of time at Manchester Oxford Road. My pet hate is when I ask the person sitting next to me to let me past, and they respond with "I'm getting off at the next stop too". I'm not bothered where you are getting off - just let me up fgs.

Someone was stood in the middle of the aisle last week, with no-one else in the aisle - clear all the way to the door. I asked to get past her, so I could get to the doors, and she said the same "I'm getting off too". Grrrrrrrr >:(

Just say you're going to be sick and slap your hand across your mouth. They'll move :D
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This morning I aced it. Ended up second in the queue to leave (behind a woman I know takes off like a rocket). Train stopped with our door right opposite the bottom of the escalator. Only me and rocket lady on the escalator both walking(*). From carriage to street must have been less than a minute.

(*)She's one of the few people who walks as fast as I do(**). Very unusual especially since she's quite petite.

(**)Ten minutes from Birmingham New Street to Brindleyplace - nearly a record and impressive for what Google maps says is nearly a mile.
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, if it's busy it's to get ahead of the queue.

The one I cannot understand is on the plane as soon as the seatbelt light is off, most of the plane jumps up like jack-in-the-boxes. Why? To, stand in a busy queue in tge aisle rather than a comfortable seat. It's not like they can get out for another 5 more minutes, and then get off they're the first to....... stand and wait for their luggage. WHY?????
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Talking about getting up early, what gets me is when people stand up just as a film is ending - what's the rush to get out of the cinema? :confused:

There secretly running into the next room for a different film ;-)
  • Options
    Kenny MacleanKenny Maclean Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There secretly running into the next room for a different film ;-)

or desperate for a wee after drinking their 5 litres of drink before the end of the trailers :D
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I get the train everyday so have a ot of peeves about train users. One is why do some people stand up so early for their stop?? Some get up after the train has just left the previous stop. WHY?!? Its not going to whiz off as soon as its opened its door!

Depends on the train - it always seems to be inversely proportional to the length of journey. I have the choice at my station between FCC and East Coast; if I catch the FCC trains, no-one (unless they are getting ready to sprint to the tube station in the first carriage) stands up until we are on the home strait into Kings X, perhaps 2 mins prior to arrival. If I catch the East Coast train, people start to pack at POTTERS BAR, ffs, when there's still 10 minutes to go. And these are usually the people who are coming to London for pleasure (or at least have time to spare to get to their destination)
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    I travel regularly from London Victoria to Bromley South. Despite the intense passenger usage (it's second busiest in outer London after East Croydon), the station is very small and has a dated, awkward design that makes it incredibly cramped.

If I'm lucky enough to have a seat in the first place, I'll often get up as the train passes through Shortlands beforehand because of the surge of passengers that are going to make an unbearable, claustrophobic exit otherwise. Once or twice I've seen people stand up nearer to two stations early as the train pulls through Beckenham Junction, just so they won't have to deal with the crowds.

If travelling in commuter hours I'll even 'tactically' choose which seat I take, or which carriage I stand in. I don't want one that is too far from the station exit or a seat which will be on the wrong side of the train for me to get off easily. I just don't like crowds :p
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have long legs, so I'll stand early as I hate being cramped in those little seats.
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I do it in preparation for getting off at Manchester Piccadilly of a morning. You simply cannot navigate out of the station otherwise without losing the will to live.
    Far worse, those who walk through the train to get off while it is still moving. Some of them just go through one carriage and it isn't because of short platforms, just that they think it is less to walk on the platform at the station. Some walk the length of the train.

So, bish bash all those sitting in the aisle seats to gain a few seconds. Commuting makes you realise that there are some strange people out there. Don't get me started on those who think that nobody should sit in "their" seat. Or the stinky food eaters at 7 in the morning.

Sorry do you mean 'their seat' as in the one they've reserved, or just a specific, unreserved seat that they have just chosen as their own? If it's the former, I reserve a seat every day and damn straight if somebody is sat on it when I get on, I will inform them accordingly. But the latter I just find totally weird!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,486
    Forum Member
    Emmersonne wrote: »
    I have long legs, so I'll stand early as I hate being cramped in those little seats.

That as well. I get so many dirty looks from people who try sitting next to me because my legs are slightly askew in their leg-space...there is genuinely nothing I can do about it lest I fold my legs over my head.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do it if the train is crowded cos I don't want to miss my stop.
  • Options
    JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Because people are entitled to freely move around if they like.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,795
    Forum Member
    I get up just as the train is pulling into the station
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    I do it in preparation for getting off at Manchester Piccadilly of a morning. You simply cannot navigate out of the station otherwise without losing the will to live.
    I'll give a vague wave then since the train I usually catch out of Banbury is the Reading to Piccadilly. I get off at Birmingham though ;)
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I travel first class, so this is never a problem for me.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    I'll give a vague wave then since the train I usually catch out of Banbury is the Reading to Piccadilly. I get off at Birmingham though ;)

As someone who used to commute via New St everyday, I can agree that these tactics are entirely necessary!

The smug people who take their time - some of us don't have that luxury! If you're commuting everyday, it's frustrating to lose 15 minutes of your life twice daily shuffling off the train behind slow walkers.

At New Street, there are always huge numbers of people on the platform, and unless you get off first, the platform jams up with a mixture of people getting on and off. A new girl joined our company and did the same commute as me, and she soon picked up the habits I taught her, because she had a 2 minute connection or a half hour wait to get out of the city. We both drive now :)

I also get the train up home (Birmingham to Oxenholme Lake District), and I almost always stand up for the last stop before Oxenholme, because by then I've been sat down for two hours, and simply don't want to anymore!
  • Options
    MattehhhftwMattehhhftw Posts: 8,694
    Forum Member
    I travel on the train weekly and I must admit I do stand up fairly early, it must be an axienty thing I have lol. I mean I usually get up before they announce the next stop as I have to repack my laptop and other things so I get worried I'll rush and leave something on the train.