Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 30)

Comments

• Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    LBC now put all of the "in conversation with Steve Allen" on their you tube channel! :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6gMgzZxvLk

15:52, Steve Allen asks "what do you do if your an ex PM and they vote you out?" :D
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am struggling to see any compassion shown from any Muslim state towards these people, in fact compassion and the Muslim religion don't seem to be good bed fellows.

Though charity/compassion is very much part of the religion itself, or should be - pick and choose it seems .
  • Options
    tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    compassion and the Muslim religion don't seem to be good bed fellows.

You clearly have never visited the Middle East if you believe this to be true. And actually it is surrounding countries that accept the most refugees by far.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    Who is jackboots Jacqui?

I wonder if the slot is permanent, or a temporary special, like they did with that sponsored business show a couple of years ago that ran for 8 weeks or something.

A sponsored sex show. Now there's an opportunity for some rude suggestions. :o:blush:
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    You clearly have never visited the Middle East if you believe this to be true. And actually it is surrounding countries that accept the most refugees by far.

I've never visited the Middle East either. Can you tell us how many Syrians have been offered refuge by Saudi Arabia?
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never visited the Middle East either. Can you tell us how many Syrians have been offered refuge by Saudi Arabia?

TBF, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey have been doing their bit but they don't have the wealth and resources of the Saudis.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am puzzled why do the great majority of Muslim refugees always head to Christian countries for sanctuary ,:confused:.

The premise of your question is inacurate. The majority of Syrian refugees in the current crisis have gone to Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Iraq, according to the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Sadly true .

Labour digs a hole - others have to sort out the mess .Nothing new there .

A cheap party political point which is inaccurate.

The current crisis resulted from the anarchy is Libya and the growth of ISIS in Syria which has been a result of the military action ordered by David Cameron to overthrow the government of Colonel Gadhafi. Before you say that's just left-wing propaganda, it's a similar view to that expressed by the former head of Britain’s Armed Forces, Sir David Richards and even Nigel Farage has said something along these lines too.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy Beresford ‏@LucyBeresford 46m46 minutes ago

V excited to say that I'm joining the wonderful team @LBC. Catch me from TOMORROW, 8-10pm Saturdays, for my sex/relationships phone-in x

Just for a moment, I thought it was Mrs J O'B ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    Anyone fancy sex on Saturday night?

Are you offering yourself about ? ;-) :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know the figure for Saudi Arabia but I suspect it's relatively small compared to Syria's near neighbours.

Over 4 million Syrian refugees are being hosted in Turkey, Lebanon, Jordan and Egypt and Iraq. Turkey alone is currently home to almost 2 million Syrian refugees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I will agree with you that Gulf countries could do more to help with this emergency, although Saudi Arabia ,the country in your post, has its own refugee issue at the moment on its southern borders with the civil war in Yemen. (and by the way 30% of its workforce is foreign).
  • Options
    P.RamleeP.Ramlee Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Though charity/compassion is very much part of the religion itself, or should be - pick and choose it seems .

This is the confusing part. Zakāt or giving part of one's wealth to charity is one of the five Pillars of Islam.
    However, whilst I see the UK giving hundreds of millions of pounds, I don't see Saudi Arabia, Qatar or any of the Emirates contributing to this migrant crisis let alone offering them sanctuary despite these people being their brethren.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Are you offering yourself about ? ;-) :o

I'm pretty booked up but I'll see if I can *ahem* squeeze you in Martin :p
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially none. Saudi Arabia has refused to sign the UN Refugee Convention or accept any refugees for resettlement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    I'm pretty booked up but I'll see if I can *ahem* squeeze you in Martin :p

I was asking on behalf of a 'friend' :D
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    A sponsored sex show. Now there's an opportunity for some rude suggestions. :o:blush:

Now that Willey and Wood are both playing cricket for England, you only need to switch to TMS for some very colourful radio...! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    A cheap party political point which is inaccurate.

The current crisis resulted from the anarchy is Libya and the growth of ISIS in Syria which has been a result of the military action ordered by David Cameron to overthrow the government of Colonel Gadhafi. Before you say that's just left-wing propaganda, it's a similar view to that expressed by the former head of Britain’s Armed Forces, Sir David Richards and even Nigel Farage has said something along these lines too.

Current situation stems all the way back to the overthrow of Saddam Hussein

Cheers Tone !
  • Options
    zsazsazsazsazsazsazsazsa Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    And.....an hysterical Iain Dale was at it too later in his Drive Slot.

Well this afternoon he finally conceded that the UK's financial contribution to Syria was more than all the countries in the EU put together, yes even more than Germany. He is still getting his knickers in a twist that we aren't taking in our quota of refugees. He was probably seething when one of his guest speakers was saying that he had seen far worst than that just recently covered. He then spoke to a Hungarian official who was trying to explain Hungary's stance. He took him to task that the Hungary does not want muslims and he explained that Hungary does already have a muslim population and Hungaqry should have a choice of who they allow in the country and that Hungary had been ruled by muslims at one time and they did not want that again. He didn't know what to say about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P.Ramlee wrote: »
    This is the confusing part. Zakāt or giving part of one's wealth to charity is one of the five Pillars of Islam.
    However, whilst I see the UK giving hundreds of millions of pounds, I don't see Saudi Arabia, Qatar or any of the Emirates contributing to this migrant crisis let alone offering them sanctuary despite these people being their brethren.

You are confusing the overwhelming hospitality of regular locals, which many visitors will attest to, with the geopolitical decisions made by local governments. All Gulf countries have their own regional agenda. Some may feel that discouraging refugees will increase the pressure on Assad and further the aims of their preferred faction for example. Qatar and Saudi Arabia were at daggers drawn untill recently over that point. My reply to FM Harry_Stevens referred to the welcoming attitude of the average person to foreigners.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Sounds good! Might tempt me back to LBC listening, if the advert repetition isn't too unbearable. My year's anniversary of LBC embargoing this month, except one or two of the hustings debate specials and an occaisional dip in to a Katie Hopkins show.

I've just realised. September is my two year anniversary for refusing to listen to the Brian show. I find absolutely nothing about his manner or his politics that I can identify with. A totally hideous and obnoxious personality as a radio presenter in my view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    You are confusing the overwhelming hospitality of regular locals, which many visitors will attest to, with the geopolitical decisions made by local governments. All Gulf countries have their own regional agenda. Some may feel that discouraging refugees will increase the pressure on Assad and further the aims of their preferred faction for example. Qatar and Saudi Arabia were at daggers drawn untill recently over that point. My reply to FM Harry_Stevens referred to the welcoming attitude of the average person to foreigners.

Great hospitality but only from the 1000000s of Filipinos ,Pakistanis,Bangladeshis etc etc s on work visas who are the backbone of the gulf , yet can and do get thrown out on the spot .Indigenous Emirati.Qatari etc hospitality to a refugee i suspect would be non existent .
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Well this afternoon he finally conceded that the UK's financial contribution to Syria was more than all the countries in the EU put together, yes even more than Germany. He is still getting his knickers in a twist that we aren't taking in our quota of refugees. He was probably seething when one of his guest speakers was saying that he had seen far worst than that just recently covered. He then spoke to a Hungarian official who was trying to explain Hungary's stance. He took him to task that the Hungary does not want muslims and he explained that Hungary does already have a muslim population and Hungaqry should have a choice of who they allow in the country and that Hungary had been ruled by muslims at one time and they did not want that again. He didn't know what to say about that.

I only just switched him on and he's sounding ever so grumpy over the Corbyn/pacifist issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember former newsreader Lucy Coward. Here is a bit more about her and her photos.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    I've just realised. September is my two year anniversary for refusing to listen to the Brian show. I find absolutely nothing about his manner or his politics that I can identify with. A totally hideous and obnoxious personality as a radio presenter in my view.

you are so right. I like you do not listen but caught some of his show in the car and he surpassed himself this morning with sheer obnoxiousness masquerading as compassion.
This discussion has been closed.