Options

How fast have you ever driven?

Comments

• Options
    SuperwombleSuperwomble Posts: 4,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a driver, about 95. As a pillion passenger on the back of my brother's Kawasaki Z1000, the very first modern 1000cc motorbike ever on Britain's roads, 140 up the M11 in 1983. Even then I found it frightening.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 130mph in an XR3i. It could have gone a bit faster so I wish I had done, to see what it could do.
  • Options
    The Green ManThe Green Man Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    bart4858 wrote: »
    About 130mph in an XR3i. It could have gone a bit faster so I wish I had done, to see what it could do.

Not bad going for a car with a top speed of 118, or was it modified?
  • Options
    MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't get this. OK you are a conscientious driver you profess. So why would a 'dick head' tailgating you' make you drive an extra 1 or 2 mph faster ? Are you that observant of your speedo you can actually tell? Assume for a moment you are..then given this miniscule increase in pace you claim because of aforementioned 'dick heads'..how has that imperceptible/laudable (?) (believeable ?) increase in speed in any way assisted with the tailgater following you..?

Did they suddenly brake and, drop back to a safe distance and return your driving experience to one of safety ? Or was the miniscule speed increase (for reasons that escape me) so neglible as to make not a jot of difference to the fool who tailgates and won't notice such a minor deviation in speed by you..?

Do you think that either increasing or decreasing speed because of a tailgater helps ? If so how ?
    Yes I am a conscientious driver, I don't drive under the speed limit so I'm not going too slow unless there is a reason, ie someone deciding to cross the road without waiting or the person in front of me driving below the limit And I don't tailgate them either I maintain the safe distance, I try not to go over, if I do it's so I can indicate and the dick head behind me can see it and I can pull over safely to let the impatient arsehole past without them putting me and my children in any danger. yes I am also observant of my speedo. I don't apologise for being a safe driver and being aware of the law. And as such, I don't have to worry about being caught by speed cameras or getting fines or points on my licence.
  • Options
    Seamus SweeneySeamus Sweeney Posts: 3,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No need for it to be modified with that difference ie 'top speed' of 118, vs reputed 130.

Most cars will easily if pedal to the mettle & don't care about it - exceed the posted top speed by a fair margin.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

As others have mentioned before, speedos over-read by about 10%, sounds about right 130 mph = 117 mph in real money, maybe a bit more depending on the lump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I am a conscientious driver, I don't drive under the speed limit so I'm not going too slow unless there is a reason, ie someone deciding to cross the road without waiting or the person in front of me driving below the limit And I don't tailgate them either I maintain the safe distance, I try not to go over, if I do it's so I can indicate and the dick head behind me can see it and I can pull over safely to let the impatient arsehole past without them putting me and my children in any danger. yes I am also observant of my speedo. I don't apologise for being a safe driver and being aware of the law. And as such, I don't have to worry about being caught by speed cameras or getting fines or points on my licence.

I didn't state you were anything but what you claim. Simply asked you a question as to why you increased speed according to you by 1 to 2 mph if being tailgated.

BiB makes even less sense now. You speed up, so you can indicate safely to pull over..? As you speed up, a tailgater atypically speeds up. The only difference is that now you are driving faster than you would want, performing the signal/manoeuvere you intended anyways, and with your purported accuracy levels of 1/2 MPH added into the mix which you don't like. It's your environment, your accelerator..Don't blame the fool for you changing any aspect of your driving habits. Experience under pressure is something we all have different abilities with..so maintain speed and do what you outlined already - no need for any deviation, and doesn't expedite things in any tangible way.
  • Options
    Jellied EelJellied Eel Posts: 33,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 140mph in my Mini Cooper. Ok, so was probably closer to 60, but in the original Minis, everything felt a lot faster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    About 140mph in my Mini Cooper. Ok, so was probably closer to 60, but in the original Minis, everything felt a lot faster.

Back in the day I had a little 127 Supersport that felt exactly the same.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Am I the only one that finds this dick waving thread rather pathetic?
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    bazzaroo wrote: »

Maybe it's more of a question of why you think we're all seemingly looking for respect from a load of random punters on DS?
    What, exactly is 'dick waving' and is it the same thing if women are doing it, 'vag waving, tit waving' as there have been some posts from women on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The OP asked a question. I'd find it more pathetic if people lied. For the most part I don't see anyone lauding it up..just recounting mistakes and moments of madness. If the thread was about stupid comments you've made to loved ones for example - lots of replies would ensue..example ad infinitum. So no, it's not pathetic, nor dick waving as you perceive it. Just honest answers (as best as can ever be assumed on a forum), which are all vastly different - many with stories behind them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe it's more of a question of why you think we're all seemingly looking for respect from a load of random punters on DS?
    What, exactly is 'dick waving' and is it the same thing if women are doing it, 'vag waving, tit waving' as there have been some posts from women on here.

I wouldn't bother about people like that. They seem to inhabit every forum, someone dares to mention that they are lucky enough to drive a decent motor or mention something related to the car scene and within minutes the usual crowd appear and start with the 'dick waving' comments.

It's very predictable and very laughable.
  • Options
    DadDancerDadDancer Posts: 3,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    115mph on the M69 in a Seat Ibiza sport 1.4. Have never really owned any fast cars though.

I did do a 0 to 60 test in a Leon Cupra which was way more fun. The garage made a cock up when booking me in for a service and forgot to get me a courtesy car so the boss leant me his instead. Couldn't resist giving it a good thrashing. It was immense! :)
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member

The speed I went, it was close enough :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't bother about people like that. They seem to inhabit every forum, someone dares to mention that they are lucky enough to drive a decent motor or mention something related to the car scene and within minutes the usual crowd appear and start with the 'dick waving' comments.

It's true. Dare to mention anything about cars..or mistakes people make (as in all other arenas of life), then the 'willy waving wand' appears. I think there's an unwritten law someplace stipulating that such conversations will never be complete until that bulbous angry looking flag is waved at some point in the proceedings..:D

Almost look forward to it in a way..because you know it's 'coming' sooner or later.
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AH the M6 toll.
    Haven't been there for years.

Got 6 points and £500 fine for doing 99mph around 2004. Mr Plod was situated in the perfect spot to catch me.

Careful on there folks - think of the children!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The OP asked a question. I'd find it more pathetic if people lied. For the most part I don't see anyone lauding it up..just recounting mistakes and moments of madness. If the thread was about stupid comments you've made to loved ones for example - lots of replies would ensue..example ad infinitum. So no, it's not pathetic, nor dick waving as you perceive it. Just honest answers (as best as can ever be assumed on a forum), which are all vastly different - many with stories behind them.

Yeah, whatever, MY opinion is that this IS a dick waving thread and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but anywhoo, enjoy your pissing contest, I'm out.
  • Options
    Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    97 mph on autobahn in Germany :)
  • Options
    supertalksupertalk Posts: 948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    130 mph Audi A4 tdi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, whatever, MY opinion is that this IS a dick waving thread and I'm sure I'm not the only one, but anywhoo, enjoy your pissing contest, I'm out.

*sigh. You brought some humour to the thread. Riposte comes with the territory..any other thread and you'd as likely be agreeing as disagreeing with others here on different subjects.

Sorry i/We seem so odious in this instance - perhaps happier encounters in the next thread/topic we meet in :)
  • Options
    too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recall late night / early morning races by 80s Yuppies in their Porsches, after a night out in London, around the M25 when it was first completed as a full loop (about '85 or '86).

Sadly I had a clapped out Fiat 500 at that time which would barely scrape 56mph downhill with a tailwind so I wasn't tempted....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *sigh. You brought some humour to the thread. Riposte comes with the territory..any other thread and you'd as likely be agreeing as disagreeing with others here on different subjects.

Sorry i/We seem so odious in this instance - perhaps happier encounters in the next thread/topic we meet in :)

Absomolutley Seamus :)
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm female and I love driving cars.

One of the most beautiful hobbies in the world. :p
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    bootyache wrote: »
    I'm female and I love driving cars.

One of the most beautiful hobbies in the world. :p

I'm still waiting to find out if we are vag waving or tit waving.