Options

Fears that UK is heading towards 'train crash' Brexit

Comments

• Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    While true that we need to negotiate the tariffs and quotas, we are a fully paid up member of the WTO. This allows us to trade under WTO rules with tariffs we see fit.

Once we have renegotiated our tariffs and quotas if it is found that we had tariffs set too high or to low a quote, then we will have to pay compensation to the nations involved.

Just looking at the difficulties leaving the EU will cause trading with the EU I came to the conclusion leaving was a complete waste of time and money.

WTO Chief Roberto Azevedo, who likely has a good idea of the costs of switching to WTO tariffs....
    Leaving the European Union would cost British consumers 9 billion pounds ($13.2 billion) in annual additional import tariffs, World Trade Organization chief Roberto Azevedo said in an interview published by the Financial Times on Wednesday.

Britain's exports would be also burdened with 5.5 billion pounds of new tariffs in overseas markets, the paper said, and leaving the EU would require a full reboot of Britain's trade relations, akin to joining the WTO from scratch.

That would mean renegotiating the terms of trade with 161 WTO members, and losing the low-tariff or tariff-free access to 58 countries covered by 36 EU trade agreements.
  • Options
    James_OrtonJames_Orton Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Just looking at the difficulties leaving the EU will cause trading with the EU I came to the conclusion leaving was a complete waste of time and money.

WTO Chief Roberto Azevedo, who likely has a good idea of the costs of switching to WTO tariffs....

But we will still be trading under WTO rules. That's the point.

How much will be paid to the UK in tariffs? How many trade agreements will be grandfathered?

Just quoting people verbose rather than rational thinking the problems seems to be a problem with hardliners remainers and Brexiters.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting sick about hearing people's 'fears', or how they 'feel'.

Just get on with it, try to do your best and work with what you've got.
    The doom-mongering and pessimism is what may lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    If you approach a problem with an unconfident and miserable outlook, how could you possibly hope for a positive outcome?

"I can't do it", "I'm no good", "I'm a failure", "Everybody hates me", why would anyone enter into a situation with this kind of attitude and expect anything good to be reflected back?

If people continue to perpetuate this atmosphere of wallowing in self pity and misery, really what do you think is going to come of it?

If there is a problem with how you feel Brexit is going I think it will serve people a lot better if they approach the problem with alternative proposals with fortitude and a robust attitude.
    This continual moaning about your fears or how you feel serves no good purpose for anyone.
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting sick about hearing people's 'fears', or how they 'feel'.

Just get on with it, try to do your best and work with what you've got.
    The doom-mongering and pessimism is what may lead to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    If you approach a problem with an unconfident and miserable outlook, how could you possibly hope for a positive outcome?

"I can't do it", "I'm no good", "I'm a failure", "Everybody hates me", why would anyone enter into a situation with this kind of attitude and expect anything good to be reflected back?

If people continue to perpetuate this atmosphere of wallowing in self pity and misery, really what do you think is going to come of it?

If there is a problem with how you feel Brexit is going I think it will serve people a lot better if they approach the problem with alternative proposals with fortitude and a robust attitude.
    This continual moaning about your fears or how you feel serves no good purpose for anyone.

The above post has the all the hallmarks of Theresa May's new twin operating manuals on Article 50 and preferential trade negotiations.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    While true that we need to negotiate the tariffs and quotas, we are a fully paid up member of the WTO. This allows us to trade under WTO rules with tariffs we see fit.

Once we have renegotiated our tariffs and quotas if it is found that we had tariffs set too high or to low a quote, then we will have to pay compensation to the nations involved.

In other words we would have an equitable FTA!
  • Options
    nic6nic6 Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Brexit vote won, stop whinging and get over it.
    About time all you leftie luvvies accepted it.:p
  • Options
    Video NastyVideo Nasty Posts: 7,244
    Forum Member
    Another hit and run thread.
  • Options
    Mr Oleo StrutMr Oleo Strut Posts: 15,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, the train is gathering speed and a big, black tunnel is fast approaching. The carriage doors have all been locked and the passengers told there are no plans to stop until they get to wherever they are going. Neither the driver or the guard know where that is but they've told us that they will know when they get there. In the meantime everybody has been told to close their eyes, lay back, and think happy thoughts. The train is going much faster now and we've just rushed through a station where we should have stopped. The big, black tunnel is just coming up. I wonder what's on the other side. I'm more than a bit apprehensive.
  • Options
    Irritable OwlIrritable Owl Posts: 5,296
    Forum Member
    Another Engineer miserable thread

thread/
  • Options
    DocumentaryFanDocumentaryFan Posts: 3,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    The deal is another matter. I honestly think if the EU gives is nothing and looks unreasonable then many would join the Brexit camp. We want limits to migration and to have the ability to make our own trade deals with countries outside the EU.

You know what they say about cakes... ;-)
  • Options
    DocumentaryFanDocumentaryFan Posts: 3,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nic6 wrote: »
    The Brexit vote won, stop whinging and get over it.
    About time all you leftie luvvies accepted it.:p

But it's many on the Brexit side who won't accept the present situation. They want full access to the EU single market and all kinds of benefits from the EU without any of the responsibility.

Frankly, the UK doesn't offer anything that would make the EU go out of its way and simply bow down to Brexiters' demands. Any bilateral agreement will be about the EU's interests, first and foremost. It's a far bigger market.
  • Options
    nobodyherenobodyhere Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irrespective of remain/brexit, the economy is and has been on borrowed time since 2008, we've lived on the edge of the abyss for so long now its taken for granted.. when you consider even the financial sector has held their hands up and admitted they don't have a bloody clue whats going on anymore in terms of forcast
  • Options
    bluewomble88bluewomble88 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Is Brexit developing as you expected when you voted to leave ?

If May triggers A50 and we remove ourselves from the EU and single market then, yes, very much so. What's your point exactly?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If May triggers A50 and we remove ourselves from the EU and single market then, yes, very much so. What's your point exactly?

How do you expect your life to improve from being outside of the Single Market?
  • Options
    NilSatisOptimumNilSatisOptimum Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So if you are a supporter of Brexit how much of a hit are you prepared to accept before you change your mind?

Flagellants don't change their minds atonement is for eternity.:p
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fears that UK is heading towards 'train crash' Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jan/06/fears-that-uk-is-heading-towards-train-crash-brexit

We can always resort to WTO rules though. Oh hang on a minute

So if you are a supporter of Brexit how much of a hit are you prepared to accept before you change your mind?

I will never change my mind. Not ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    How do you expect your life to improve from being outside of the Single Market?

How do you think my life will be worse? The single market, blah blah blah! Well, perhaps my nephew won't have to compete with foreigners when it comes to getting a job in the future! That would be a boon.

I don't want to be rude but Remainers are obsessed with the Single Market as if its the only valid reason for voting Remain. If the Single Market is the ONLY thing they keep harping on about,it doesn't really say much about the EU itself does it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what they say about cakes... ;-)

What is wrong with starting with a "Have Your Cake and Eat it" scenario? I realise we won't get it, but why shouldn't we as a nation use that as a starting negotiation tactic?

Should we just say "Oh, mighty EU, we are at your mercy. We'll take whatever you offer?"
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    What is wrong with starting with a "Have Your Cake and Eat it" scenario? I realise we won't get it, but why shouldn't we as a nation use that as a starting negotiation tactic?

Should we just say "Oh, mighty EU, we are at your mercy. We'll take whatever you offer?"

Wasting precious time. 2 years to fall out of EU with early months spent on futile grandstanding. Brilliant strategy.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Wasting precious time. 2 years to fall out of EU with early months spent on futile grandstanding. Brilliant strategy.

Its the most basic of negotiating techniques, you start off over valuing the thing you are selling and by the time you come to sign the agreement you've got what you wanted and the other party feels they got a deal and everyone is happy.

Its basically just like selling a car or a house really ;)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Its the most basic of negotiating techniques, you start off over valuing the thing you are selling and by the time you come to sign the agreement you've got what you wanted and the other party feels they got a deal and everyone is happy.

Its basically just like selling a car or a house really ;)

It really isn't. You don't start off in la la land. Anyone approaching negotiations like this knows you told to go away and come back when you have a negotiating position worth pursuing. Otherwise it is time wasting.
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit obvious though - nobody ever expects to end up with exactly what they demanded right at the outset, that's the whole point of it being a negotiation - some give, some take.

So maybe we don't get the swivel chair to take home at weekends or the recipe for lemon ice cream but that doesn't mean these things are automatically on or off the table.

The cake thing is getting really tedious because the only response is 'yes, everybody already knows that, everybody has always known that, because everybody, even the loudest gobshite out there knows that you demand a whole bunch of things and then back down on a couple to get somewhere acceptable, and only a complete moron would think it needed to be said again after the last 3000 times'.

Or possibly "That's nice, dear. The cake is a lie. How about a scone instead?"
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you think my life will be worse? The single market, blah blah blah! Well, perhaps my nephew won't have to compete with foreigners when it comes to getting a job in the future! That would be a boon.

I don't want to be rude but Remainers are obsessed with the Single Market as if its the only valid reason for voting Remain. If the Single Market is the ONLY thing they keep harping on about,it doesn't really say much about the EU itself does it?

It's become a bizarre 'point of principle' as they cling on to fantasies of not actually leaving the EU, regardless of what's actually happening. A sort of making-a-stand comfort blanket where they can say to themselves (and probably us) : "See, we haven't really left..." which will rather negate all the 'sky falling in' doomsday threads.
    The rock and a hard place is for Remain these days.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, perhaps my nephew won't have to compete with foreigners when it comes to getting a job in the future! That would be a boon.

Can't argue with that bit of xenophobia... I mean, employers will just ship the jobs off to another country if it's possible, so your nephew will end up having to be the foreigner competing with locals.

What does your nephew do, or want to do? Why does he have problems getting jobs today?
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if it presented as:

Well if population growth slows and the uk governments learns to invest in the country correctly, my children might be able to go to their local primary school and book a doctors appointment for the same day?

As it stands - no government in power since we joined the EU has invested properly into the country to accomodate the existing population let alone prepared to accomodate the massive immigration numbers (>300000 a year)

The government hasnt been willing to fund the country to accomodate the population growth and yet expects the country to vote for more uncontrolled immigration.