Options

Scotland allows gay marriage!

13»

Comments

• Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought gay marriage was allowed in the UK several months ago.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    I thought gay marriage was allowed in the UK several months ago.

Only in England and Wales. Scotland's marriage laws are dealt with by the Scottish Parliament and their process finished today.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Gays should NEVER EVER be allowed to marry in a church. It is totally wrong that gay marriage has shot up the political agenda but that is due to labour having the mandate back in the nineties to force it through. It is really sad that labour chose to railroad this through parliament as a result of their triple digit majority.

It's good news! People with views like yours are a very small minority of religious nutters. The world has moved on and away from the dark ages and you can freely choose to catch up or be ignored.

Your choice!
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Personally, come late March I'm going to marry a hot young immigrant lad who will do anything to live here!

I haven't decided who yet but I'm working on it!

It's a buyers market!

:D
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is wonderful news. Well done to all those who campaigned and responded to the consultation, and of course to the MSPs of all parties who voted to bring marriage equality to Scotland :)
    Never Nude wrote: »
    It will happen, give it time
    Northern Ireland brought in a bill in 2003 to prevent marriage equality, which should reinforce just how far behind the civilised parts of the UK they are. If it happens there it will be because something outside Stormont forces it, not through the Assembly.
    Some of us live in the real world, some of us don't even know a Gay .
    :kitty: mew
    I never drive down your road. It can stay unrepaired forever as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't think the Scottish Parliament should waste time debating such trivial matters as your hole.
    Gays should NEVER EVER be allowed to marry in a church. It is totally wrong that gay marriage has shot up the political agenda but that is due to labour having the mandate back in the nineties to force it through. It is really sad that labour chose to railroad this through parliament as a result of their triple digit majority.
    LOL. Suck it up mate. You lost the debate at every stage in England and Wales, and now in Scotland too :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's a very odd situation at the moment. You can be considered married in one country, but not in another. Hell, in some countries you'd probably end up in prison just for saying you were gay. Totally bonkers.

That's homophobia and patriarchy for you.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    Why is gay marriage so important. It seems to be high on the agenda at the expense of more important issues. If you asked anyone on the street what was an issue that needed addressing gay marriage will be way down on their priorities. Pity the politicians dont feel the same

What if you asked a gay person or a someone who has a gay family member Einstein?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    It's a very odd situation at the moment. You can be considered married in one country, but not in another. Hell, in some countries you'd probably end up in prison just for saying you were gay. Totally bonkers.

Even more odd in America it depends where you are you may be legally married somewhere but 5 minutes down the road into another city or across the state line your not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »

I never drive down your road. It can stay unrepaired forever as far as I'm concerned. I certainly don't think the Scottish Parliament should waste time debating such trivial matters as your hole.

LOL. Suck it up mate. You lost the debate at every stage in England and Wales, and now in Scotland too :p

Well said!
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

Some of us live in the real world, some of us don't even know a Gay .
    :kitty: mew

You probably have. You may of said hello to one.
    OR :o:o:o GASP! THE HORROR! You may have even shaken hands!
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You probably have. You may of said hello to one.
    OR :o:o:o GASP! THE HORROR! You may have even shaken hands!

Indeed, statistics will dictate that at my advanced age I probably have, but, without labouring the point Gays are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods and this wearisome news is of little consequence for the local, normal community.

I can't really express it in any plainer language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not only is your post completely inaccurate but is drenched in homophobia and patriarchy Thankfully people with your views are becoming a minority as each year pass`s

what is homophobia? well its a number of things mostly rooted in religion and patriarchy in terms of most non religious men its the fear of being treated the way you`d treat a woman,in terms of most religious individuals it stems from patriarchy and the false belief in a "Gender Binary" which has no scientific basis or foundation whatsoever.

The creation of a "Gender Binary" is purely a social construct not a biological one purely constructed to give one gender power seemly legitimate over the other, sexual attraction is not purely defined by gender and never has been not just for humans but for our nearest ancestors or within the animal kingdom certain characteristics that have become associated with each gender are by and large also a social construct they have no biological basis whatsoever, there is nothing biological with men and blue and football and nothing biological about women and dolls or pink social conditioning has conditioned society into separating the genders and assigning a certain preference or behaviour to each gender.

Sexuality itself is a spectrum and not associated with gender the majority of people sexually appear to be heterosexual but some can and do still have some form of attraction to the same sex at some point during their lives many choose to ignore this purely down to social stigma but likewise many are also exclusively heterosexual, also many people happen to have a "fluid" sexuality which means they can be attracted to both genders making them bisexual now with bisexuality is complex because not all bisexuals have equal attraction to both genders some are more sexually attracted to one gender over another and not all of them classify themselves as bisexual some choose to still define themselves as "straight"

Likewise some individuals are naturally attracted to the same sex and no its not just about lust or sexual pleasure its about love and attraction they feel the same desire that heterosexual people feel.

Your views whilst they are your views contribute to homophobia within society each and every time you profess these views people see it has justification to abuse or harass or beat up gay people simply because of their attraction or restrict their rights.

These are the very same views that once sort to oppress women and their rights demanding that they should not have equal rights, they should not vote or drink in a public place or divorce or have financial independence or have contraception rights.

Your views are not scientific and have no basis other than tradition, I am glad same-sex marriage was legalised and I want Civil partnerships to be legalised for heterosexual couples because I like many others want the choice. I do not believe in the patriarchal ownership of a woman, I believe in equality between the sexes and I want my current female partner to be equal to me as an equal partnership.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't care that much. If they want to get married/civil partnership it will have no impact on my life.

Why should anyone care if gay people want to marry. It's a personal choice. Is it any different to hetrosexual getting married.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doop wrote: »
    Not only is your post completely inaccurate but is drenched in homophobia and patriarchy Thankfully people with your views are becoming a minority as each year pass`s

what is homophobia? well its a number of things mostly rooted in religion and patriarchy in terms of most non religious men its the fear of being treated the way you`d treat a woman,in terms of most religious individuals it stems from patriarchy and the false belief in a "Gender Binary" which has no scientific basis or foundation whatsoever.

The creation of a "Gender Binary" is purely a social construct not a biological one purely constructed to give one gender power seemly legitimate over the other, sexual attraction is not purely defined by gender and never has been not just for humans but for our nearest ancestors or within the animal kingdom certain characteristics that have become associated with each gender are by and large also a social construct they have no biological basis whatsoever, there is nothing biological with men and blue and football and nothing biological about women and dolls or pink social conditioning has conditioned society into separating the genders and assigning a certain preference or behaviour to each gender.

Sexuality itself is a spectrum and not associated with gender the majority of people sexually appear to be heterosexual but some can and do still have some form of attraction to the same sex at some point during their lives many choose to ignore this purely down to social stigma but likewise many are also exclusively heterosexual, also many people happen to have a "fluid" sexuality which means they can be attracted to both genders making them bisexual now with bisexuality is complex because not all bisexuals have equal attraction to both genders some are more sexually attracted to one gender over another and not all of them classify themselves as bisexual some choose to still define themselves as "straight"

Likewise some individuals are naturally attracted to the same sex and no its not just about lust or sexual pleasure its about love and attraction they feel the same desire that heterosexual people feel.

Your views whilst they are your views contribute to homophobia within society each and every time you profess these views people see it has justification to abuse or harass or beat up gay people simply because of their attraction or restrict their rights.

These are the very same views that once sort to oppress women and their rights demanding that they should not have equal rights, they should not vote or drink in a public place or divorce or have financial independence or have contraception rights.

Your views are not scientific and have no basis other than tradition, I am glad same-sex marriage was legalised and I want Civil partnerships to be legalised for heterosexual couples because I like many others want the choice. I do not believe in the patriarchal ownership of a woman, I believe in equality between the sexes and I want my current female partner to be equal to me as an equal partnership.

It's his views. I doubt there are that many homophobic people in the UK. There are some but doubt they are in the majority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    It's his views. I doubt there are that many homophobic people in the UK. There are some but doubt they are in the majority.

You`d be surprised there are still quite a few homophobic people in the UK have you seen the latest statistics for schools across the country for instance? over 90% have reported homophobic bullying being at endemic levels.

Yes they are his views as bigoted as they are but do not attempt to justify his views simply on the grounds of "free speech" if its his right to air unfounded inaccurate views it is my right and other peoples right to challenge them accordingly because that's my "Free Speech"
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm... they won't be allowed to marry in a church, or haven't you been listening to any of the news? Given that you've got yourself into such a froth about it, I'd have thought you'd be very well acquainted as to what's actually being mooted, instead of getting all het up about a version of reality that's only happening in your head.

Sheesh...
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erm... they won't be allowed to marry in a church, or haven't you been listening to any of the news? Given that you've got yourself into such a froth about it, I'd have thought you'd be very well acquainted as to what's actually being mooted, instead of getting all het up about a version of reality that's only happening in your head.

Sheesh...
    They will be allowed to marry in a church, providing the church belongs to a denomination that chooses to perform same sex marriages on its premises. The default position is that every religious group is opted out, so each group has to have the debate and agree together they want to opt in.. They is no way according to the Bill that a church can be forced to perform any marriage it doesn't want to (as is currently the case with divorcees), nor is there any way that individual priests can be compelled to perform a marriage they disagree with.

The Scottish Bill is a very well thought out piece of legislation from all angles. Just about everything is covered, including this.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gays are thin on the ground in my neck of the woods and this wearisome news is of little consequence for the local, normal community.

Plausible. You're in good company. Other places that aren't susceptible to gayness include Sochi and Iran (according to the mayor and Ahmadinejad, respectively).
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    They will be allowed to marry in a church, providing the church belongs to a denomination that chooses to perform same sex marriages on its premises. The default position is that every religious group is opted out, so each group has to have the debate and agree together they want to opt in.. They is no way according to the Bill that a church can be forced to perform any marriage it doesn't want to (as is currently the case with divorcees), nor is there any way that individual priests can be compelled to perform a marriage they disagree with.

The Scottish Bill is a very well thought out piece of legislation from all angles. Just about everything is covered, including this.

Cheers edEx - I was working on the basis that the CofE has been removed from the process in its entiery and won't be allowed to perform same sex marriages even if it decided it wanted to. Of course, we're talking Scotland here, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. Sounds like they've pretty much got it covered though.