Options

Lady Gaga - Where did it all go wrong ?

Comments

• Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    (although Ellie Goulding may just block her here with that old Leona Lewis song).

Seriously??? Why does she keep letting hits go? Although I think it's more to do with lack of support because there are much better songs than Burn on Glassheart.
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would I be a devils advocate by staying, that for even stans, they must deep down not enjoy the new material seen so far as much as the stuff from her earlier era's?? (Though theyll never admit it)
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Only she could make what is supposed to be a humerous piss take video a self indulgent mess. Madonna's hydrangea video is the way to do it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    Only she could make what is supposed to be a humerous piss take video a self indulgent mess. Madonna's hydrangea video is the way to do it

''Stop the drama
    Start the music''

How is this ''self-indulgent''? :confused:
    In fact, your post is exactly the kind of silliness she's talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coolgirl wrote: »
    I think her ego is too big, if you watch videos from her tour she spends a lot of time preaching about self love, anti-homophobia etc which is all well and good but the casual listener isn't interested in that stuff and just wants to hear good music and is probably quite alienated by the preaching (this is also apparant if you compare the interviews done in the born this way 'era' and the fame era where she takes herself much less seriously). What is also worrying is that one of the main producers for Artpop is DJ White Shadow who is relatively underground and responsible for the majority of the born this way album, whilst the sound may appeal to hardcore stans it is not radio friendly and you need to be in order to compete with the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna.

Maybe this is a perfect storm of wrong song & wrong image??

Its not as if she is having a massive flop here (it will sell millions) but the affect on her reputation & position will be the main disadvantage to her. She strikes me as 1 of those artists, that if she doesnt have a couple of killer hits soon, will not dominate the charts much longer. She will continue to sell for some time to come, but may not be a trend setter.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ''Stop the drama
    Start the music''

How is this ''self-indulgent''? :confused:
    In fact, your post is exactly the kind of silliness she's talking about.

She looks an idiot, simple as. She should take her own advice and focus on the music and less of the dramatics and then her monsters would have had something better than Applause to listen to
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    as you're called Ciccone Youth- lets look at Madonna's latest album. Many Madonna fans will say its a great album of hers

No, they won't. :D

I take it you're not very familiar with the Madonna fanbase - we're a fickle bunch. ;)
  • Options
    anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    Monsters do get very tetchy and grumpy whenever you dare to criticise their leader. It used to be the case that they would retaliate with stats and sales figures to get their point across but seeing as she isn't raising the bar sales wise or touring wise then they just resort to calling people immature now.

I think it's because, IMO, people target Gaga more than any other artist. I mean, take Beyonce - last US solo top ten single was in 2009 for God's sake but people don't say her downfall has started? I say this as someone who is losing faith in Gaga to be fair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    antero wrote: »
    I think it's because, IMO, people target Gaga more than any other artist. I mean, take Beyonce - last US solo top ten single was in 2009 for God's sake but people don't say her downfall has started? I say this as someone who is losing faith in Gaga to be fair.

I think the Beyonce comparison is interesting, but like Britney she has been around over a decade now & fans are used to ebb & flow's in her career. Gaga & Katy are around the 5 yr mark, regarded as kinda pop rivals (likee Britney & Christina were) & therefore I dont think they're quite in the strong position Beyonce is to have a fallow period.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I happen to think MDNA is Madonna's second weakest album, the first being Hard Candy, there are only 5 decent tracks on there in my honest opinion.

Madonna is at a crossroads in her career if you ask me and doesn't know what she now wants to be. However she has been in the game 30 years so can afford to do this. Her legacy is already set in stone so nothing from here on in really matters for her anymore. Although this Secret Project seems to have brought her back to life.

Gaga however is very different as she is still at the start of her career. She needs to prolong her success rather than having huge first week sales then big drop offs. Once her initial fanbase buy her work she seems to suffer fast declines. That's really not a good sign tbh as it shows outside of that gore group she isn't gaining from elsewhere. I also don't think Gaga's next tour will gross more than BTW which is also a worry as again its a decline.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I truly the only one who thinks all of her songs sound so alike? They all have that cheap generic electro-pop sound... and her voice is irritating
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Am I truly the only one who thinks all of her songs sound so alike? They all have that cheap generic electro-pop sound... and her voice is irritating

That's just so ignorant.

Bad Romance doesn't sound like You & I, which doesn't sound like Alejandro, which doesn't sound like Born This Way, which doesn't sound like Applause which doesn't sound like Marry The Night, which doesn't sound like Paparazzi etc.

And that's just her singles. Bloody Mary, Government Hooker, Speechless, Teeth, Eh Eh, Beautiful Dirty Rich etc. are all totally different styles of pop.

It's all pop written and sung by the same person(s) and produced by the same handful of people within the space of 5 years, so there's bound to be less variety than some of her peers who only have their voice as a constant.
  • Options
    TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Aj_Whiles wrote: »
    The music, pure and simple. She puts out music that is perfectly listenable but since BTW it's had no spark and is seemingly becoming very generic.

I mean that's not to say the likes of Katy, Britney, Rihanna ect aren't generic themselves but their aim seems to be to put out good solid pop songs, gaga is concentrating too much elsewhere like it matters.

That's it for me. I totally agree with everything you're saying.
    Applause is just a generic dance beat set to lyrics, totally bland.
    If you don't have good music, you're finished and no amount of theatrics can save you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    People have just got bored of her and she hasn't been able to bring something new to the table to excite music buyers.

She'll probably still have one of the highest selling albums of the year although she may get pipped by some of her rivals.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    shelleyj89 wrote: »
    Ii can't be doing with her walking round in a see-through dress with her bra and thong showing.

I know you probably dont mean it but you come across all Mary Whitehouse with that statement.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    coolgirl wrote: »
    I think her ego is too big, if you watch videos from her tour she spends a lot of time preaching about self love, anti-homophobia etc which is all well and good but the casual listener isn't interested in that stuff and just wants to hear good music and is probably quite alienated by the preaching (this is also apparant if you compare the interviews done in the born this way 'era' and the fame era where she takes herself much less seriously). What is also worrying is that one of the main producers for Artpop is DJ White Shadow who is relatively underground and responsible for the majority of the born this way album, whilst the sound may appeal to hardcore stans it is not radio friendly and you need to be in order to compete with the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna.

Tbh, if she wants to be taken seriously, then she shouldn't even be competing with the likes of Rihanna & Katy Perry. By doing that, she just puts herself on that level.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah most of her singles (bar You & I) are all dance-pop songs.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK let me start off saying that I am a Lady GaGa fan..

However I do think that she has lost alot of her star quality....she was out the public eye for months..up to a year (I know she had surgery etc)....But ALOT of people did forget about her....The situation would have been different if 'Applause' was say a Rihanna song...it would have been a shoe in for the #1 spot
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Tbh, if she wants to be taken seriously, then she shouldn't even be competing with the likes of Rihanna & Katy Perry. By doing that, she just puts herself on that level.

Huge Katy Perry Fan but totally get your point.

For me Gaga had promise of being more than a popstar. She could have been as interesting and groundbreaking as perhaps a Bowie. But the fact of the matter is she now seemingly has neither the talent or the ability to convey that and instead masqurades as this uber mega amazing forward thinking ''artist'' when she is an above average popstar Applause proving that completely.

It's all well and good playing dress up and having alter ego's but if the music is missing then it's all a load of smoke screens and pretentions. She just needs to stop take a look at herself and go i'm good at what i do i'll be the best at that rather than emulate her idols whoa re infinately more talented. That is why Perry Succeeds she knows what and who she is and is striving to always be the better version of that rather than an idea or concept of what she thinks she is or should be like gaga.
  • Options
    hilduffluvahilduffluva Posts: 3,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TBH...i can see this era being like Britney's 'Femme Fatale' era (in the UK)....Hold it against me which debuted at 6 then fell....Till the world ends came in at number 21...and the album hit at number 8 then fell off the planet...i can see this ARTPOP era like that
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    That's just so ignorant.

Bad Romance doesn't sound like You & I, which doesn't sound like Alejandro, which doesn't sound like Born This Way, which doesn't sound like Applause which doesn't sound like Marry The Night, which doesn't sound like Paparazzi etc.

And that's just her singles. Bloody Mary, Government Hooker, Speechless, Teeth, Eh Eh, Beautiful Dirty Rich etc. are all totally different styles of pop.

It's all pop written and sung by the same person(s) and produced by the same handful of people within the space of 5 years, so there's bound to be less variety than some of her peers who only have their voice as a constant.

Sorry, but a lot of her songs sound almost the same to me as well. Not so much now, but definitely in 2009 when it was Just Dance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, those songs were all so similar in my opinion. No, they're not identical, but you can't deny their production was all very similar.

You and I is her only different song, the rest are all dance-pop. Whilst Katy mixes it up more with ballads, mid-tempos, pop-rock or rhythmic (E.T.) and Rihanna also mixes it up more, releasing rhtyhmic/urban songs like Rude Boy, What's My Name? and Pour It Up, ballads like Stay, Calfornia King Bed, Take a Bow, etc. as well as the electropop songs.

I'd group Lady Gaga with Ke$ha, Taio Cruz and that lot personally, since they've all released a long string of dance-pop songs.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    Sorry, but a lot of her songs sound almost the same to me as well. Not so much now, but definitely in 2009 when it was Just Dance, Poker Face, Paparazzi, Bad Romance, those songs were all so similar in my opinion. No, they're not identical, but you can't deny their production was all very similar.

You and I is her only different song, the rest are all dance-pop. Whilst Katy mixes it up more with ballads, mid-tempos, pop-rock or rhythmic (E.T.) and Rihanna also mixes it up more, releasing rhtyhmic/urban songs like Rude Boy, What's My Name? and Pour It Up, ballads like Stay, Calfornia King Bed, Take a Bow, etc. as well as the electropop songs.

I'd group Lady Gaga with Ke$ha, Taio Cruz and that lot personally, since they've all released a long string of dance-pop songs.

I agree even though I like her songs. Katy Perry and Rihanna definitely have more variety in their tempos. I also feel Katy and Rihanna even though they may not write their own songs by themselves have more emotionally intimate moments where I can connect with them and things they've been through. I've listened to Gaga's songs and I still feel I know nothing about her as a person.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with this single is that anyone could have released it. It sounds like she hardly had any input. That might not be the case, though a few of her past singles have been written and produced from the ground up before they were even given to Gaga (Paparazzi, Telephone) so Applause could be along those lines.

She can be as hugely pretentious as she likes but then to put out a pretty basic dance track with nothing special about it...??
  • Options
    FashionFashion Posts: 5,017
    Forum Member
    Sweet7 wrote: »
    For me personally, I was always a fan. Loved all the singles from 'The Fame' and thought 'The Fame Monster' was brilliant. By then she started going strange but people found it quite comical and it kind of ran alongside her music if that makes sense.

However when Born This Way came along, the 'strangeness' completely over shadowed the music and almost made it impossible for the casual fan to enjoy the music because it was so hidden below everything. I know that I just want to listen and enjoy an album, not have to decode everything she does.

Now ARTPOP has come along, it just feels stale and like it's been done before. I mean this towards the single AND the 'feel' to the era. For comparison (like KP as much as Gaga) the way Katy Perry launched her era felt really fresh. She kept her mouth shut and let the unique video teasers and the incredible lyrics video do all the talking and has pulled it off incredibly (and that's without taking about the actual single Roar)
    Couldn't agree more, what made TFM so good for casual fans was how she let all the music do the talking without hamming it up too much visually. BTW felt like she was becoming a parody of herself.
  • Options
    CRMCRM Posts: 11,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katy Perry simply has wider demographic appeal.