Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leave the poor woman alone.

She admitted she took it out of the freezer and put it on the table.He picked it up and took it to his station where he threw the wobbly.

What do you want, blood?
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »

She admitted she took it out of the freezer and put it on the table.He picked it up and took it to his station where he threw the wobbly.

What do you want, blood?[/QUOTE]

Not at all although is it wrong expect an explanation?
  • Options
    Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,895
    Forum Member
    I was surprised at the lack of any sign of regret from Diana tonight. I thought that even if she didn't regret it at all, having watched the reaction to it all and having had time to think, that she would have said that in retrospect she wished she hadn't done it etc

It was all very tense and awkward with Diana looking like she could cry at any minute and Jo trying to be nice but wanting more information that she wasn't getting. Diana dug herself a bigger hole in my opinion and I think the time would have been better spent allowing Frances and Glenn more time.
  • Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    And STILL no apology!

She probably has more important things on her mind....like the fact that she will probably never smell or taste anything again for the rest of her life!
  • Options
    Alex482Alex482 Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »

What do you want, blood?

No I wont leave the "poor woman" alone.

WHY did she take it out of the freezer without telling him? That's the issue and she still hasn't given an explanation or an apology. On an extremely hot day you don't take a fellow competitor's ice cream out of the freezer and just leave it out on a counter to melt. If she didn't want it in the freezer then she should have had the decency to call him over and ask him to move it.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alex482 wrote: »
    No I wont leave the "poor woman" alone.

WHY did she take it out of the freezer without telling him? That's the issue and she still hasn't given an explanation or an apology. On an extremely hot day you don't take a fellow competitor's ice cream out of the freezer and just leave it out on a counter to melt. If she didn't want it in the freezer then she should have had the decency to call him over and ask him to move it.

She probably intended to put it back in, but forgot. Also she has explained that she believed he had his own freezer for it to be in.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,799
    Forum Member
    I wonder at why Diana went on the TV tonight:confused:? Not sure if anyone benefitted and it was awkward in the extreme:blush:.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Puterkid wrote: »
    I wonder at why Diana went on the TV tonight:confused:? Not sure if anyone benefitted and it was awkward in the extreme:blush:.

Agreed. Most people would have just apologised to make it go away, but I guess I kind of respect her for sticking by her guns.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chetna's website with some wonderful pics of cakes!
    http://chetnamakan.co.uk/
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vixyvic wrote: »
    There's something about Romesh that's reminding me of Marcus Brigstock. I think it's the beard and slightly deadpan delivery.

Perhaps because both of them are not very funny.
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chetna's website with some wonderful pics of cakes!
    http://chetnamakan.co.uk/

Very professional looking site. I might try making the nan breads, I've never had success with them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Agreed. Most people would have just apologised to make it go away, but I guess I kind of respect her for sticking by her guns.

The idea that you should apologise for something to please public opinion even if you don't think you've done anything wrong really annoys me. She could have done a much better job explaining her actions to justify why she had a clear conscience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The idea that you should apologise for something to please public opinion even if you don't think you've done anything wrong really annoys me. She could have done a much better job explaining her actions to justify why she had a clear conscience.

I know, I didn't say that's what she should have done but she easily could have. She obviously didn't want to talk about it, but that's probably one of the only reasons she was asked on (although it was important to hear about her illness too, which I really hope she recovers from). I also don't recall them asking Iain if he blamed or if he'd forgiven Diana which would have helped her also (Mary Berry said he had on This Morning but it would mean more coming from the horse's mouth).
  • Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idea that you should apologise for something to please public opinion even if you don't think you've done anything wrong really annoys me.
    Agree 100% and what you often get is a mealy mouthed 'I'm sorry the thing that happened happened' that people then take as an actual apology for the thing that happened. Diana was so reticent about it that I wondered whether in these litigious times she'd been advised not to say anything that might make her sound as if she was taking responsibility. That might be why she agreed to go on but then didn't have anything to say about it.

Pure speculation, of course. Like every other post that isn't written by Diana.:-D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cika wrote: »
    Agree 100% and what you often get is a mealy mouthed 'I'm sorry the thing that happened happened' that people then take as an actual apology for the thing that happened. Diana was so reticent about it that I wondered whether in these litigious times she'd been advised not to say anything that might make her sound as if she was taking responsibility. That might be why she agreed to go on but then didn't have anything to say about it.

Pure speculation, of course. Like every other post that isn't written by Diana.:-D

Or even worse "I'm sorry you feel...", fill in the gap with offended, upset, let down, etc. Being sorry for causing an emotion rather than being sorry for ones own actions is no apology at all and is only given to please public opinion.

I'm glad Diana didn't give an apology but I wish she'd said more about why she didn't make it more obvious she'd taken the ice creme out of the freezer and how long it was out.
  • Options
    diyqueendiyqueen Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I know, I didn't say that's what she should have done but she easily could have. She obviously didn't want to talk about it, but that's probably one of the only reasons she was asked on (although it was important to hear about her illness too, which I really hope she recovers from). I also don't recall them asking Iain if he blamed or if he'd forgiven Diana which would have helped her also (Mary Berry said he had on This Morning but it would mean more coming from the horse's mouth).

He has already said on Twitter that he doesn't blame her how many times must he say it.
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole show was a pointless waste of time last night to be honest.
    What was the point of getting Frances and Glenn in there? They only said about 10 words between them during their very brief appearance.
    The 'comedian' guy may as well not have been there either and Richard Corrigan was also a bit meh in my opinion. Faye Ripley was ok though.

The Diana segment seemed very short and rushed and she either a.)didn't want to or b.) had been advised not to talk about the freezer gate incident.
    She seemed a bit upset and ill at ease I thought which was understandable but she looked lovely. Her hair was much nicer than when she was in the show and she looked much more glamourously and less frumpy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Beca's got her own show on baking on S4C. First episode was tonight; you can catch up with it here:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=519676042

If your understanding of Welsh isn't up to it, press on the "I" at lower right to get English subtitles.

Anyone here had a look at Beca's new programme? I thought it was pretty good. It does have subtitles!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    diyqueen wrote: »
    He has already said on Twitter that he doesn't blame her how many times must he say it.

And on Newsnight, in a statement to the BBC, and apparently in a phone call to Diana herself after the show went out. He's been an absolute gentleman over the whole thing, which just makes her refusal to admit any wrongdoing or show the slightest hint of remorse even more jarring. I felt sorry for her when all the controversy was going on, and still do, but she's done herself no favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think she started out by not wanting to talk about, perhaps been advised to do that.

She might have been better using the 'Gordon Brown Apology' and said that she is sorry that anyone thought she had done anything wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sweetiecat wrote: »
    I thought the whole show was a pointless waste of time last night to be honest.
    What was the point of getting Frances and Glenn in there? They only said about 10 words between them during their very brief appearance.
    The 'comedian' guy may as well not have been there either and Richard Corrigan was also a bit meh in my opinion. Faye Ripley was ok though.

The Diana segment seemed very short and rushed and she either a.)didn't want to or b.) had been advised not to talk about the freezer gate incident.
    She seemed a bit upset and ill at ease I thought which was understandable but she looked lovely. Her hair was much nicer than when she was in the show and she looked much more glamourously and less frumpy.

Unfortunately the whole Extra Slice series has been like that. Let's hope they get in a better presenter next year rather than abandon the programme.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    You probably need to be both clever and disciplined to be able to handle competing in Bake Off whilst at school or university but it is not an insuperable problem.
    I agree - more difficult to be running a job, a family, a household and GBBO than exams and GBBO, I would have thought.
    lundavra wrote: »
    Let's hope they get in a better presenter next year rather than abandon the programme.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with Jo Brand but the concept / format of the show is a muddle. What on earth is the point of having a vegan on the panel - he wasn't even particularly funny but maybe he has a show to promote. I'd have been interested to know what Frances and Glen are now doing post-GBBO... but unless I blinked at the wrong moment, that's not why they were there. But why were they there?

Diana said enough, I think - not least because she probably can't distinctly remember what happened herself or the timescales involved. And as I really doubt she deliberately left Iain's ice cream out of the freezer I don't really think she has much to apologise in public for - what Iain and Diana may have said in private is not our business. I think she came over just fine - she was nervous, of course, but Frances seemed nervous too so nothing to be deduced there other than tv is a stressful place for the non-professional to be.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable throughout most of Extra Slice last night. I don't blame Diana or Jo particularly, the whole format is just wrong
    I thought the judges apart from Fay Ripley, were dead boring. As guests, Glenn is OK but Frances still hasn't any media presence and both seemed superfluous.
    I pity Jo Brand trying to make something of the sorry mess, but with Diana not responding as she wanted her to, she obviously did not want to appear to bully her for an answer, when she was already on the brink of tears.
    Extra Slice? A major FAIL this week in my opinion.
  • Options
    sausagesandwichsausagesandwich Posts: 2,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was lovely to see Frances and wished there had been more time for her to comment on this year's show and a bit about what she is up to now. Far too many bitty things crammed into too litle time makes Extra Slice as unsatisfying as a dry spongecake.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt embarrassed and uncomfortable throughout most of Extra Slice last night. I don't blame Diana or Jo particularly, the whole format is just wrong
    I thought the judges apart from Fay Ripley, were dead boring. As guests, Glenn is OK but Frances still hasn't any media presence and both seemed superfluous.
    I pity Jo Brand trying to make something of the sorry mess, but with Diana not responding as she wanted her to, she obviously did not want to appear to bully her for an answer, when she was already on the brink of tears.
    Extra Slice? A major FAIL this week in my opinion.

If Diana has been advised to say nothing why did Jo asked her the questions we were all wanting to hear answered? If that were the case Jo would have been advised to steer well clear of asking them but she wasn't.

One has to wonder why Diana felt compelled to travel from Stockport to appear on the show unless her sole intention was to reiterate yet again that her sense of taste and smell continues to be impaired.