Options

Gillian Taylforth has said she would return!

124»

Comments

• Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 51,007
    Forum Member
    God no, EE has too many returnee's as it is. Was never a big fan of Kathy anyway.
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JarkdeLuxe wrote: »
    No thanks. No more jump the shark moments. They'd be throwing away 15 years of Kathy's characterisation if they expected us to believe that she'd let Ben and Ian think she was dead.

Seconded.

I liked Kathy, thought she was a good character but she's GONE. As others have said there is no way on God's earth that she'd have let her son's believe she was dead. The character is dead - lets leave her there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why kill Kathy off anyway they could have just left her in Africa, with Ian & Ben visiting her for panto breaks. Too much has happened now, with Ian & Ben especially, for a return to work, although I would have liked to have saw her back sooner
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The treatment Gillian received after 15 years of loyal service to EastEnders is nothing short of a disgrace.

The off screen death of such a legendary character is a disgrace. It's like Dot/Phil/Ian going off somewhere and dying off screen.

EE cut their noses off to spite their face. Gillian was asked to return in 2005 but she declined as she wanted to be with her children through their secondary school years and exams. She said she would have returned at some point further down the line.

What were Simon Ashdown, Lorraine Newman thinking when this decision was made?

If they wanted Ben to arrive in 2006 then Kathy could have had a mental breakdown/ been in a coma etc. To kill her off off-screen is the biggest mistake EE have ever made.

There'd be similar uproar now if they killed off Grant off-screen. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taz93 wrote: »
    The treatment Gillian received after 15 years of loyal service to EastEnders is nothing short of a disgrace.

The off screen death of such a legendary character is a disgrace. It's like Dot/Phil/Ian going off somewhere and dying off screen.

EE cut their noses off to spite their face. Gillian was asked to return in 2005 but she declined as she wanted to be with her children through their secondary school years and exams. She said she would have returned at some point further down the line.

What were Simon Ashdown, Lorraine Newman thinking when this decision was made?

If they wanted Ben to arrive in 2006 then Kathy could have had a mental breakdown/ been in a coma etc. To kill her off off-screen is the biggest mistake EE have ever made.

There'd be similar uproar now if they killed off Grant off-screen. :rolleyes:

It was Tony Jordan and Kate Harwood who made the decision. Nothing to do with Lorraine and Simon.
  • Options
    lionkingonstagelionkingonstage Posts: 3,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP bring back Kathy. There's so many ways she could be brought back without harming the show or Gillian herself.

Ian never identified her body.

BRING BACK KATHY RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Top_TrumpsTop_Trumps Posts: 2,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gillian Taylforth had opted not to renew her contract when it expired. She wanted a change, spend more time with her family.
  • Options
    Taz93Taz93 Posts: 13,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Tony Jordan and Kate Harwood who made the decision. Nothing to do with Lorraine and Simon.

Thank you. Well to be frank, I think they are idiots. :mad:

As I said she didn't have to die. Ben could have been brought back due to Kathy having a breakdown etc.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic is always going to surface. The best thing EastEnders could do is state they'll never bring Kathy back. I think it's been put on the record they won't recast Michelle so it's not unheard of for them to speak out about former cast members. The closest we've gotten with Kathy is Diedrich Santer stating he would have loved to bring her back but promised himself not to bring back dead characters. If anyone was going to do it, it would have been him.

For as long as Ian is in the cast and probably beyond that point people will always speculate about bringing Kathy back, the pros and cons. As much as I'd love her back I'm certain it will never happen. It's all hypothetical as far as I'm concerned. I don't really know why people get so angry about the subject of her return. If you don't want to discuss it then don't read threads about it. Simple as that.
  • Options
    AdamClelandAdamCleland Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised there isn't a thread asking for Pauline to come back, or Frank.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised there isn't a thread asking for Pauline to come back, or Frank.

Entirely different circumstances. Both actors are dead. Frank was killed off as a result of the actor's death and we saw Pauline die. Kathy's death was off screen, unnecessary and ripe for picking apart so a return could happen.

The biggest issue people seem to have is Kathy letting her sons think she's dead. Who is to say she had a say in the matter? Her backstory in South Africa is a blank slate as is her marriage to Gavin and whatever went on for the 6 years we didn't see her. Ben barely mentioned her or his time in South Africa at all during his time in the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,460
    Forum Member
    The potential is there, the fans are there I think it'd an excellent idea but have several reservations about it the main one would EE in its current state be able to pull this off ? I mean lets face it Sharon's return was to say the least shaky, we were expecting it to take time but were still hanging on in there ? Continuity and EE history seems to be awash ATM in Albert square, so is it worth potentially ruining the legend that is Kathy Beale ?

Is it a few years too late? The holes in plot were there for a potential whiteness protection act, but Bens in the nick, and the actor faces serious charges against him.

There is a real need for the Beale family and Mitchell family to back at the forefront of the show and some EE history to bring the show back to its roots, Kathy would make a great matriarch to the Beale family, bring Steven and Peter back home and possibly a recast Vicky would give Sharon some more history and fill the viewers in on a few Blanks while Sharon was in America.

If the producers could get it right, the scripts, a good long term plan for Kathy and Gillian and build the beales back up to be on top again and at the forefront of EE then I yes bring back KATHY BEALE!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Since Kathy was not killed onscreen and we did not see it, she could easily come back. If she had a car crash she could have suffered from memory loss or be in hospital in a coma and the wrong body was identified. It is far fetched but it could happen with good writing.
  • Options
    spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    If they brought her back they may aswell bring Martine McCutcheon back too, thats how CRAZY it would be.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spm2013 wrote: »
    If they brought her back they may aswell bring Martine McCutcheon back too, thats how CRAZY it would be.

Not really. Martine McCutcheon's character died onscreen.
  • Options
    rr22rr22 Posts: 7,646
    Forum Member
    They were very short sighted to kill her off. It would have been better to complicate a reason for her giving up ben mitchell. The only reason is that she was written out was the introduction of ben. Crazy.
  • Options
    spm2013spm2013 Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Not really. Martine McCutcheon's character died onscreen.

I know you missed my point, Kathy being in witness protection since 2006 and then resurfacing in 2013 would be as CRAZY as them briging Tiff back from the dead.

A witness protection storyline is only believable for so long and 7 years later its NOT believable anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interview with Gillian Taylforth in which she reveals she's been asked back

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/294021/EastEnders-want-me-back-says-Gillian-Taylforth/

Interesting that Kate Harwood apologised to her and admitted she made a mistake killing Kathy off. With Harwood overseeing EastEnders again she would have it in her power to fix her mistake. The article does end with a spokesperson stating they currently have no plans to bring Kathy back. ''Currently'' would seem to suggest it's not off the table and is a possibility in the future.