Options

This Carter sister stuff with Shirley and Tina.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    Maybe Shirley shouldn't be in the show anymore, if they can't take the character in a fresh direction. I know pigs will fly before that happens but then again, it's not my decision.

I know how the people who loathe Phil feel, when they suffer through what they perceive to be increasingly contrived scenarios for him to demonstrate his place as the king of Walford.

I'd much rather they kept her. I find her far more watchable than 90% of the characters in the show, including Phil. And I don't want to see her redeemed, at least not to much. We need love/hate characters.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    ALowsley wrote: »
    Have no sympathy for Shirl. Sick of them trying to make her into a saint when she's done vile things recently. She's a fab actress :D
    Agree. and it particularly irks me when Tina repeatedly tells Shirley that she's a "good mum"! :o:o:o

i had thought that the whole concept of Shirley was that she was a terrible Mum trying to make it better?

Although it's better than them both repeatedly telling each other how terrible they were at motherhood......I wouldn't have thought it'd be the type of thing women would come out with so glibly!
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member
    She doesn't know what to believe and just wants it over and have a family back. She knows mock and Linda have each other but Shirley doesn't have anything. The only people that know for definite are Dean and Linda... Anyone else can believe whatever until it's proven but Linda left
    It too late and muck ruined a chance for Linda to get a confession. Even she is prepared to be in the same room for a funeral or to confront him. Tina shouldn't be fight up in it.

:confused: Shirley has Buster doesn't she. She has also chosen to stick with the rapist so that is bound to have consequences.

I'm surprised with Tina tbh. She has been living with and taking from Mick and Linda all this time whilst believing Linda is lying about being raped :confused::o Oh well I guess she can be company for Shirley when her family abandon her for good when the truth finally comes out :cool:
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised with Tina tbh. She has been living with and taking from Mick and Linda all this time whilst believing Linda is lying about being raped :confused::o Oh well I guess she can be company for Shirley when her family abandon her for good when the truth finally comes out :cool:
    I think Tina believes Dean is guilty but still wants to be there for Shirley.

I can't see Mick and Linda turning their backs on Shirley for good. Even Linda pointed out this week that she is just doing what any parent would for their child - standing by them and reacting with anger to an accusation they cannot bring themselves to believe. Of course this is Shirley so she takes it to extremes but if you strip everything back it's a mother defending her son.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I'd much rather they kept her. I find her far more watchable than 90% of the characters in the show, including Phil. And I don't want to see her redeemed, at least not to much. We need love/hate characters.

BIB: Completely agree. I also don't see why it would be Shirley who should take Dean and leave, Walford has been her home for 9 years, and she is right in thinking that if Dean is innocent*, he should stay and prove his innocence - this is progression for Shirley, the going has got tough but she hasn't got going. Stan told her to stop running and she has, at the moment.

*which we know he isn't but she isn't privy to what we know, yet.

I find Shirley extraordinary watchable, I am aware though that her association with Dean has tainted her for some viewers. But we need characters like Shirley and although I love her abrasive side, I would like to see a bit of balance and see her more human and comical side reappear again.
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Agree. and it particularly irks me when Tina repeatedly tells Shirley that she's a "good mum"! :o:o:o

i had thought that the whole concept of Shirley was that she was a terrible Mum trying to make it better?

Although it's better than them both repeatedly telling each other how terrible they were at motherhood......I wouldn't have thought it'd be the type of thing women would come out with so glibly!

Maybe Tina is referring that Shirley was a good 'mum' to her, we have never heard anything to suggest that she wasn't a good mother figure for Tina. Shirley herself acknowledges that she was bad mum. As was Tina, come to think of it. I think the concept is about Shirley trying to make it better.
    :confused: Shirley has Buster doesn't she. She has also chosen to stick with the rapist so that is bound to have consequences.

Shirley may have Buster but he has only just resurfaced, Shirley needs some blood family around her, she needs her sister. I think Shirley thinks that Dean needs to be looked after and she wants to make up for abandoning him, she doesn't believe he hurt Linda.

I'm not surprised by Tina, I always thought Tina was on the fence, she does recognise that Dean is trouble for the family though. She also knows that Shirley needs support. I really like Tina and Shirley scenes so I hope they keep them together.

I don't think Linda or Mick would disown Shirley, even Linda recognised that Shirley was just doing what any mother would and like LHolmes says, if you strip it all back, that is all Shirley is doing - defending her son and being a mother.
  • Options
    LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ell_Ren wrote: »
    Shirley has mentioned Tina numerous times, went to stay with her several times and also let Zsa Zsa live with her. They were in contact throughout Shirley's stint before Tina was cast, she just wasn't seen on screen. I think Tina is on the fence about Dean/Linda - she doesn't know.
    Yep, Shirley went to look after Tina once when she was ill.
  • Options
    rapunzel4rapunzel4 Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots of sisterly stuff in that ep -

ronnie n roxy
    kim n denise
    shirley n tina
    babe n sylvie

i enjoyed them all tbh :-)
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Why is Tina moving in with Shirley? I know she misses her and wants to patch things up, but she's hardly a fan of Dean. I like Tina but she should stand by Mick.

This paves way for more "Angry Mick" scenes about how Tina betrayed him. Apparently the viewers love those scenes, as they've been done to death!