Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    sandy50sandy50 Posts: 22,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I wonder if he owns Bullet Safaris which offer Elephant hunting. I thought it was illegal.

http://www.bulletsafaris.com/elephant-hunting.html
    such beautiful animals,makes my blood boil>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he owns Bullet Safaris which offer Elephant hunting. I thought it was illegal.

http://www.bulletsafaris.com/elephant-hunting.html

on a lighter note..............what do you think of our new Product .......
    created by Bookcover and moi, ......designed by Jeremy99 , patented (no copies allowed)
    QVC ? what d'ya reckon ?
    http://imgur.com/s2gF27d
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    The link pasted below was the Order made by Mlambo JP, regarding the televised broadcasting of the trial.

I think Pisto can forget any ideas he might have about an appeal on the basis that the cameras infringed his rights to a fair trial -

Para 8 of the Order

"Notwithstanding the above, the presiding judge shall retain a discretion to direct that, in the event that it becomes apparent that the presence of the cameras or the recording and/or transmitting and/or broadcasting is impeding a particular witness’s right to privacy, dignity and/or the accused’s right to a fair trial, MultiChoice and Primedia and the print Media 24 applicants will be directed to cease recording and/or transmitting and/or broadcasting and/or photographing of the testimony."

Deliberations / Considerations

"The right to a fair trial

[12] Pistorius contends that the live broadcasting of his criminal trial, through audio (radio), audio-visual (television) and still photographic means, will infringe his right to a fair trial. His view is that the mere knowledge of the presence of audio visual equipment, especially cameras, will inhibit him as an individual as well as his witnesses when they give evidence. He has also asserted that his Counsel may also be inhibited in the questioning of witnesses and the presentation of his case. He further is of the view that covering his trial as is sought by the applicants will enable witnesses still to testify to fabricate and adapt their evidence based on their knowledge of what other witnesses have testified. In his view the requested broadcasting of his trial will have a direct bearing on the fairness of the trial and contends that should the relief be granted he will most certainly not enjoy a fair trial.

The principle of open justice

[22] My views to the objections raised by Pistorius find support in the open justice principle. Acceding to the objection in their entirety will surely jettison the noble objectives of the principle of open justice when one takes cognizance of our development in the democratic path. At this day and age I cannot countenance a stance that seeks to entrench the workings of the justice system away from the public domain. Court proceedings are in fact public and this objective must be recognized.

[25] In balancing the competing rights at stake it is my view that the objection by Pistorius regarding the audio-visual recording as well as the still photography of him and his witnesses should not be taken lightly. It was argued on his behalf forthrightly that the inhibitory effect of audio-visual recording equipment, in particular the knowledge and awareness thereof by himself and his witnesses, will be great when they give their evidence. This potential was recognized by our highest court in the SABC vs NDPP[22]. For this reason I am of the view that the audio-visual or televising and still photography of Pistorius and his witnesses when they testify be disallowed as this has the potential to deprive him of a fair trial on the grounds spelt out in argument on his behalf. I am persuaded that there is merit in his fears and that of his witnesses that they may be disabled somewhat in giving evidence.

[26] On the other hand audio coverage in my view does not carry the same inhibitory or intrusive potential as the audio-visual form of coverage. In my view whilst there may be no visual image of Pistorius and his witnesses as they testify they should however be heard on radio. I am fortified in my view by what the Constitutional Court said in SABC v NDPP[23] that : “It might well be considered advisable to start with coverage on a trial basis” and in footnote 60 the following is relevant : “A further factor that might be considered is whether or not to start purely with radio coverage. Although print, radio and television are all instruments of the media, each presents its own possibilities and each carries its own dangers for inappropriate use. Radio is, accordingly, less amenable to being used in such a way as to risk misrepresentation and misunderstanding than is television.”

[29] Despite the order that I have arrived at it must be understood that the presiding judge over the criminal trial retains the ultimate discretion during the trial regarding aspects of the relief granted in this matter which may require her attention as the trial unfolds."

http://www.saflii.org/za/cases/ZAGPPHC/2014/37.html

Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before. :)
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Beckyboop wrote: »
    Both the uncles are big game hunters. But dunno if OP was. Hopefully he won't be allowed to be one now, whatever the outcome.

Wow, backward thinking bunch they really are.

Hey lets own a bit of wild land, enclose wild animals in fencing, call it Pistorius World, all the animals are not wild now they are our animals... we own them. We control them and shoot them at will.

I do hope non of these animals are on the endangered list? has anyone ever looked into it? are do big burly bald men "cousins" with fast jeeps and shot guns chase people away. :confused:

I get the whiff of Wako about this lot IMO
  • Options
    Sue_HealeySue_Healey Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jeremy99 wrote: »
    image here
    VERY well done!
  • Options
    WilkcoWilkco Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    Thanks for posting this. I hadn't seen it before. :)

I like the bit where he is concerned about witnesses adapting and fabricating their evidence the most:D

oh and his counsel might be inhibited:D:D
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sandy50 wrote: »
    on a lighter note..............what do you think of our new Product .......
    created by Bookcover and moi, ......designed by Jeremy99 , patented (no copies allowed)
    QVC ? what d'ya reckon ?
    http://imgur.com/s2gF27d

Sounds a bit Oirish to me begorra . :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the bit where he is concerned about witnesses adapting and fabricating their evidence the most:D

What Roux and Oldfatwedge, inhibited:o I would never mistake them for shy shrinking violets. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't see any grounds for appeal after the event. If they had problems with witnesses the time to raise concerns has passed. Judge Masipa had the discretion to stop televising and audio recording at any time. I think Roux acknowledged that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't see any grounds for appeal after the event. If they had problems with witnesses the time to raise concerns has passed. Judge Masipa had the discretion to stop televising and audio recording at any time. I think Roux acknowledged that.

exactly that's what it says in the Order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Juror13's website - Has the State's case been proven?

http://juror13lw.wordpress.com/2014/07/14/oscar-trial-has-the-states-case-been-proven/

148 Comments so far!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Several times Roux tried to suggest that witnesses were behaving improperly by being held together in the witness room didn't he. There's no end to the DT tricks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wilkco wrote: »

Is this the DT animation we were promised long ago? :D:D:D
  • Options
    Sue_HealeySue_Healey Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wilkco wrote: »
    Irreligious and magically funny!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    Is this the DT animation we were promised long ago? :D:D:D
    ................. it probably is.................
    what next ! this trial takes some strange turns my friend.........

off to seek counselling^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sounds a bit Oirish to me begorra . :D

Drat, its the green colour isn't it, I knew we should have gone with pink. :D:D:D

There is always a comedian in the house >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Several times Roux tried to suggest that witnesses were behaving improperly by being held together in the witness room didn't he. There's no end to the DT tricks.
    yer,..that they might of had a chance to talk to eachother.....like it's all one big conspiracy against OP or something........(not forgetting the fact that those going into Court each day to testify had probably shared a bed together the night before !)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Drat, its the green colour isn't it, I knew we should have gone with pink. :D:D:D

yeah..............ben's changed 'everything' now :p
    canary yellow ? :confused:
    (you'd better get onto the designer Jeremy pronto........he's not going to liiiiiike it......:cool:..)

(liking your location book ! :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member

A sordid orgy? what on earth did he mean, how were they held to together?... improper?...the mind fair boggles :confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry:blush: it's the green and the O in the middle of the name. I was expecting a wee leprechaun to peep out. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sandy50 wrote: »
    yeah..............ben's changed 'everything' now :p
    canary yellow ? :confused:
    (you'd better get onto the designer Jeremy pronto........he's not going to liiiiiike it......:cool:..)

(liking your location book ! :D)

ssshhhhh....you can't see me, remember? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry:blush: it's the green and the O in the middle of the name. I was expecting a wee leprechaun to peep out. :o
    :D
    BUT we need the 'O' , it's memorable that way.
    Not to mention that it can also read Pist-o (as in Pistorius or Pistol)
    also Pist=drunk=being ill
    in a bucket.............

We'll change the colour then. :confused::kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ssshhhhh....you can't see me, remember? :D

oh cr*p yeah , sowwweeeee

E V E R Y O N E
    Book's in the toi..........leeeeeeetttt
  • Options
    Forum Member

leprechaun could have slammed the window...hidden the socks, stole the watch, moved fans about... ehm :confused:

You may have cracked the case here :D
This discussion has been closed.