Options

Complain to Ofcom

2»

Comments

• Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just showing how Eurovision is a sham, The EBU just decide the winner anyways and we should pull out and not broadcast it. But no we won't because its cheap TV and it gets over 8m million viewers for some weird reason.
  • Options
    TYCOTYCO Posts: 5,891
    Forum Member
    It's totally wrong that people who paid to vote didn't have their voices heard. If our jury chose Poland as the bottom and the uk televoting would make no difference whatsoever to Poland's score it should not have been possible to vote for Poland. Simple as that - those people were robbed.

Before the voting started they knew that a vote for Poland could make no difference to it getting a point from the UK. Yet they encouraged you to call for Poland. That must be contestable in court.
  • Options
    adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TYCO wrote: »
    It's totally wrong that people who paid to vote didn't have their voices heard. If our jury chose Poland as the bottom and the uk televoting would make no difference whatsoever to Poland's score it should not have been possible to vote for Poland. Simple as that - those people were robbed.

Before the voting started they knew that a vote for Poland could make no difference to it getting a point from the UK. Yet they encouraged you to call for Poland. That must be contestable in court.

I think the juries should only choose there top 10 acts
  • Options
    Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

The televote might have been enough to give points to Poland but it depends on how the other countries are ranked in the televote. No vote was a waste.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Germany for the contest, I voted twice for the UK and it got no points.. damnit I want a recount and 12 points given to the UK!!!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Who voted for Poland, I'll give you a clue. If Turkey is in the competition Germany gives it 12 points. Google "gastarbeiter".

My mate voted for Poland in the semi...no connections whatsoever!
  • Options
    luminous2000luminous2000 Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Pandora. wrote: »
    That was the 2009-2012 system. Both have their pros and cons. I'll trust in the EBU to decide on the best one. :)

Ah ok. So hopefully the EBU can come up with some (probably more complex) system that's between 12-10-8-...-0-0-0 and 26-25-24-...-3-2-1 that reduces the cons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    The televote might have been enough to give points to Poland but it depends on how the other countries are ranked in the televote. No vote was a waste.

Can you show mathematically how it would have been possible for an act that the jury had voted bottom to get any points from the UK?
  • Options
    Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you show mathematically how it would have been possible for an act that the jury had voted bottom to get any points from the UK?
    EUROBOY65 wrote: »
    Here is an example:

Poland Televote 1 Jury 25 total 26

Song 2 televote 14 jury 14 total 28

song 3 televote 15 jury 12 total 27

song 4 televote 2 jury 2 total 4

song 5 tele 3 jury 24 total 27

song 6 tele 4 jury 23 total 27

song 7 tele 11 jury 1 total 12

song 8 tele 25 jury 8 total 33

song 9 tele 6 jury 21 total 27

song 10 tele 10 jury 19 total 29

song 11 televote 16 jury 13 total 29

song 12 televote 18 jury 11 total 29

song 13 tele 24 jury 3 total 27

song 14 tele 23 jury 8 total 31

song 15 tele 17 jury 20 total 37

song 16 tele 7 jury 4 total 11

song 17 tele 5 jury 22 total 27

song 18 tele 8 jury 18 total 26

song 19 tele 9 jury 5 total 14

song 20 tele 12 jury 17 total 29

song 21 tele 19 jury 16 total 35

song 22 tele 20 jury 6 total 26

song 23 tele 21 jury 9 total 30

song 24 tele 13 jury 7 total 20

song 25 tele 22 jury 15 total 37

so on that basis Poland with 26 pts would be 6th highest and score 5 points from the UK , so your arguement isnt true, and so OFCOM wouldnt do anything.

As Poland got the highest televote from the 3 with 26, it would get the 5 points.

Personally, I think it's a good system as long as it isn't abused to influence votes, and is truly a vote for best song/performance/vocals and staging (as per the direction)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As Poland got the highest televote from the 3 with 26, it would get the 5 points.

Personally, I think it's a good system as long as it isn't abused to influence votes, and is truly a vote for best song/performance/vocals and staging (as per the direction)

Thank You.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So we need 14 countries to tie in order for Poland to have got any points....... and you're saying that's a good system?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So we need 14 countries to tie in order for Poland to have got any points....... and you're saying that's a good system?

I didn't do the maths but my reading of it is that 4 countries finished above Poland and 2 tied. So on the example Poland would have received points.

I am sure there are problems with any system but the one used on Saturday is fine with me. I do think that Poland only topped the UK televote because of the immigrant Polish population, not because it was the best song. Of course if the jury had liked the song more they would have placed it higher and so it would have been easier for Poland to score from the UK. I think the UK jury scored it correctly.
  • Options
    luminous2000luminous2000 Posts: 33
    Forum Member

Jury Rank + Televote Rank = Total Calculation Points. (Overall Rank, PointsAwarded) : Country

1 + 2 = 3 (1, 12) : Malta
    2 + 3 = 5 (2, 10) : Finland
    3 + 4 = 7 (3, 8) : Austria
    4 + 5 = 9 (4, 7) : Spain
    5 + 6 = 11 (5, 6) : Sweden
    6 + 7 = 13 (6, 5) : Slovenia
    7 + 8 = 15 (7, 4) : The Netherlands
    8 + 9 = 17 (8, 3) : Azerbaijan
    9 + 10 = 19 (9, 2) : Switzerland
    10 + 20 = 30 (13, 0) : Russia
    11 + 21 = 32 (15, 0) : Norway
    12 + 22 = 34 (17, 0) : Hungary
    13 + 23 = 36 (19, 0) : Denmark
    14 + 24 = 38 (21, 0) : Greece
    15 + 25 = 40 (23, 0) : Iceland
    16 + 11 = 27 (11, 0) : Germany
    17 + 12 = 29 (12, 0) : Italy
    18 + 13 = 31 (14, 0) : Ukraine
    19 + 14 = 33 (16, 0) : Belarus
    20 + 15 = 35 (18, 0) : San Marino
    21 + 16 = 37 (20, 0) : Montenegro
    22 + 17 = 39 (22, 0) : Romania
    23 + 18 = 41 (24, 0) : France
    24 + 19 = 43 (25, 0) : Armenia
    25 + 1 = 26 (10, 1) : Poland

was a possible way for Poland to get a single point without any ties anywhere on the board. Its basically impossible to find a system which you can't use to contrive a scenario that works badly. Meaning there will be no universally good system and people will continue to voice their displeasure when the voting system doesn't produce the results they are looking for.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cloudy2 wrote: »
    I didn't do the maths but my reading of it is that 4 countries finished above Poland and 2 tied. So on the example Poland would have received points.

I am sure there are problems with any system but the one used on Saturday is fine with me. I do think that Poland only topped the UK televote because of the immigrant Polish population, not because it was the best song. Of course if the jury had liked the song more they would have placed it higher and so it would have been easier for Poland to score from the UK. I think the UK jury scored it correctly.

I agree with your analysis
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Technically untrue
    It shares 6 place with 3 other countries - so how is it decided which country gets 5 points, which country gets 4 points & which country gets 3 points :confused:

Also who gets the remaining scores of 2 points & 1 point - since there are 6 countries with 27 points?

NO..you clearly dont acyually KNOW the rules that you are complaining about.
    It doesnt share anything when its tied on points, because in that situation, the song higest in the public televote is ranked higher..so when a lot tied on 26 points Poland is ranked highest as it got the number 1 televote ranking..so it seems to me you are making a great deal of noise WHEN YOU DONT ACTUALLY KNOW THE RULES
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what happens when Ofcom accept email complaints.
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I understand the consternation, but exactly how would it have been possible to stop people from voting for some countries, like Poland? Commentator telling viewers "sorry but there are a few other countries you can't vote for, apart from your own"..? That would have caused even more consternation...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In my opinion the one voted for the most by viewers (polish or not) gets the most points. These people have a right to have a preference for Poland and they had to pay to voice that preference but their money was wasted and they hadn't been informed that it was EXTREMELY likely to be a waste. In my opinion that should be illegal.

All they had to do was announce how the judges had ranked the acts. It may have stopped people picking up the phone for Poland and that is fairer than what happened.
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The UK has never really voted for Poland that much in the past. 5 points in 2011 semi final, 4 points in 2008, 3 points in 2007. I'm not sure topping the televote was entirely down to Polish people living in the UK!
  • Options
    dylanpartyondylanpartyon Posts: 11,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You voted knowing that the public is only half the vote. You want to be refunded because you didn't like the result....
  • Options
    rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion the one voted for the most by viewers (polish or not) gets the most points. These people have a right to have a preference for Poland
    Just as equally, the jury has a right to have a preference for something else (and low preference for Poland).
    You voted knowing that the public is only half the vote. You want to be refunded because you didn't like the result....
    Exactly this.

(And I even voted for Poland myself in the semifinal, so have absolutely nothing against it, I just don't really get all this whining about the result and juries this year...)
  • Options
    thomizzlethomizzle Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted for Poland! Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't vite for anyone. I'm not even in Britain. The difference is the voters at home paid. They did it voluntarily while the jury were required to do it and they were paid to do it!

At least before the jury it was one country vs another. Now it seems to be one country vs their own jury! It seems an impossibility for your preference to win.

It's a totally unjust system that is not good for the voters and not good for eurovision. Anyone considering voting next year will be considering that the jury may have voted the song so low that their vote won't make any difference.
  • Options
    si29uksi29uk Posts: 1,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your complaint is that 'everyone followed the rules as advertised - and that have been in place for previous years - and I didn't like the result.'

The only difference this year is that we get to see the detail.

There is no grounds for a complaint here.

The winner would still have been Austria under whatever voting system that has been proposed. And this is a winner-takes-all competition. The rest is only a matter of pride.

Everyone signs up for the competition knowing the voting rules. The voting rules were adhered to (and where they weren't, the votes were not counted)

Get over it!