Options

New Europe Poll puts UKIP 9 points ahead of labour at 36%

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The true Left has always wanted out of the EEC/EU, remember.

Only supporters of the club for Big Business wants "in".

And that's why UKIP is picking up a lot of votes from the Labour Left. Even though they have have disagreements on other policies UKIP are seen as a more constructive vote than the ragbag of assorted anti-EU parties on the left.

The "true" Left, as you call them, have never been able to stick together long enough to have a unified voice on anything, never mind the EU. As far as I can see TUSC aren't standing any candidates in the Euro elections.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CSJB wrote: »
    What was the question ?
    I would have thought it was, "'who are you going to vote for ?"

If that was the question then 80% of people would have said "nobody".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The true Left has always wanted out of the EEC/EU, remember.

Only because it is "neo-liberal", however with globalisation there needs to be more universal standards to reduce the problem of thw "race to the bottom" problem, which is the real problem facing the working people, so the EU could work for them...
    Only supporters of the club for Big Business wants "in".

Well the elite is divided, some want to stay, some want to go...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    Yes
    Clegg thought a Rerun of 2010 would be enough people wont fall for the numbers Game again and don't believe a word he says. Standing there berating Farage then boring the pants off everyone with endless numbers totally failed.

Agreed, I said Clegg was the worst person on earth to represent the Pro-EU side and it showed...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    And that's why UKIP is picking up a lot of votes from the Labour Left. Even though they have have disagreements on other policies UKIP are seen as a more constructive vote than the ragbag of assorted anti-EU parties on the left.

The problem is that in every other aspect, they are basically Thatcerism, which is not exacly supported by the Labour Voting Working Class...

The problem I have with the left is that rather than oppose the EU full stop, they should be pushing for a better EU, because due to globalisation you cannot set national standards and expect the elite and business to accept it, like in the 70s they will just leave, but with the likes of the EU, we can "trap" them into agreeing...
    The "true" Left, as you call them, have never been able to stick together long enough to have a unified voice on anything, never mind the EU.

Sadly that remains the case, although the unions swiching to form a united front might change things...
    As far as I can see TUSC aren't standing any candidates in the Euro elections.

Well they are standing under this alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No2EU

All the Parties of TUSC (minus the SWP) plus the Communists are supporting it...
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Have had a look at the detailed breakdown of TNS to ascertain top UKIP support.

Most support from men aged 55 and over. No surprise there.

A fairly close second group is................what do people reckon?

No - wrong. :)

Surprisingly it is women aged 35 to 54!!!
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Well even the you gov poll had 45 per cent of over 60s backing UKIP.

People shouldn't sneer as its only thanks to the voting patterns of pensioners that we have had Tory governments for most of the past century. They are growing in number and they vote! Thr young complain but the pensioners vote. And that's even more pronounced for the euros.

Clearly women are partial to Nigel too!

PS what's even more amazing about the Comres poll is that they apparently didn't prompt for UKIP unlike the other three main parties. So people had to spontaneously say they were voting UKIP after being shown a list of options with only LibLabCon and other on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well even the you gov poll had 45 per cent of over 60s backing UKIP.

People shouldn't sneer as its only thanks to the voting patterns of pensioners that we have had Tory governments for most of the past century. They are growing in number and they vote! Thr young complain but the pensioners vote. And that's even more pronounced for the euros.

PS what's even more amazing about the Comres poll is that they apparently didn't prompt for UKIP unlike the other three main parties. So people had to spontaneously say they were voting UKIP after being shown a list of options with only LibLabCon and other on it.

Interesting.

One of the sentiments most frequently expressed in the past fortnight is that the main parties are trying to do everything they can to get the more dubious UKIP candidates into the news. It isn't working. The irritation among voters is about that motivation rather than what the UKIP candidates have actually said.

When you think about it, what that says is that people have heard so much of dodgy behaviour from all politicians, they can't bear to listen to any more of it. Consequently, while few would see UKIP as perfect - or even necessarily better in that respect - it is the place they have chosen for just not accepting any more of it.

And that "not listening" safety valve is, of course, a great antidote to the fact the main three are widely considered not to have listened to anyone else for years. They are being hoisted by their own petard.
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    Many ppl i speak to are fed up with all the polish,bulgarians,etc coming in. Its not a british country anymore, everyone is speaking a different language. One fella in our street has moved away from cambridge up to county durham. He says the south if full of immigrants. Something has to be done. Services cant cope and all the crime some bring.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

They obviously haven't smelled his breath then. According to an interviewer on The Times last election, it's straight from Satan's bottom.

Not to mention those god-awful jackets.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mal2pool wrote: »
    Many ppl i speak to are fed up with all the polish,bulgarians,etc coming in. Its not a british country anymore, everyone is speaking a different language. One fella in our street has moved away from cambridge up to county durham. He says the south if full of immigrants. Something has to be done. Services cant cope and all the crime some bring.

pretty much the same thing here.
    and its not the media's impression of fat drinking oafs with low IQ's just looking for a reason to blame the immigrants. There is a direct impact on Services and its an issue that's going to cost the main parties a lot.

In fairness something has changed because of recent months so many poles have moved and gone home. Just before Christmas it was really quite freaky this huge removal van stopped at 5 houses around here and they all moved on the same day.
    they didn't have much it was mostly boxes.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member

Its a price worth paying for the benefits of multiculturalism :D
  • Options
    clinchclinch Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Not as joyful for UKIP as they seem to think.

Assuming 100% of Conservative voters favour withdrawal from the EU, then together with UKIP, only 54% are anti EU. Nowhere near 100% of Tories will favour withdrawal.

What that says to me if we did have a referendum, we'd be staying in.

Are you assuming that all Labour voters want to stay in? Labour was historically the most Eurosceptic party. Working class voters are the ones worst affected by the EU.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The bluebell woods at Banstead is in Surrey just outside the Greater London boundary. It was packed on Easter Monday to the extent that the car park was overflowing.

I can honestly say that apart from one group which was French and the British one I was in, every single voice I heard was speaking in an East European language.

My immediate thought was that I wouldn't need to go abroad for a foreign experience this year and my broader feelings were that we were less at home than they looked.

Earlier we had a meal in a tiny pub garden where two of the four tables were occupied by East Europeans. Nearly all we passed were around 30 with several young children.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At least many immigrants have a good knowledge of the English language.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Well they are standing under this alliance

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No2EU

All the Parties of TUSC (minus the SWP) plus the Communists are supporting it...

As far as I can tell No2EU are getting zero media coverage. I had heard of them but hadn't realised they were a left wing party - they sound more like a UKIP splinter group. Maybe they could have had a better name.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe now is the time Labour to start panicking...
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,048
    Forum Member
    trevgo wrote: »
    They obviously haven't smelled his breath then. According to an interviewer on The Times last election, it's straight from Satan's bottom.

Not to mention those god-awful jackets.

I did think when I sw him on the news yesterday "Christ, he's nicked Rupert Bears trousers!"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »

2020 perhaps, after a reverse-takeover of the Tories by UKIP...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I can tell No2EU are getting zero media coverage. I had heard of them but hadn't realised they were a left wing party - they sound more like a UKIP splinter group. Maybe they could have had a better name.

Well it did not help that Bob Crowe died before they had a second chance...

Maybe BLFM (British Left & Freedom Movement) might have been a better name...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITN Source wrote: »
    Well it did not help that Bob Crowe died before they had a second chance...

Maybe BLFM (British Left & Freedom Movement) might have been a better name...

BLFM sounds like a sexually transmitted disease or a provincial radio station.

How about "Left Out"?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DadDancer wrote: »
    but will 100% of Labour supporters want to stay in? or the other 9% such as the Green Party and the BNP?

Dancing to Labours tune again?
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soppyfan wrote: »

the people with serious doubts will just sit there quietly losing controls of their bowels.
    Another Woeful performance By Miliband. He found his courage and questioned why Cameron hasn't agreed to the debates in 2015. But didn't want to take part with the EU Debate. If the EU is as important as they he would have been there like a shot.

Had labour promised a referendum on the EU within 12 months of being elected.
    His poll lead would have risen a fair bit. He delivered the most complex and confusing answer to labours position on the EU then wonders why its fallen flat.

No party is going to get the changes needed to avoid such a referendum
    Until they realise that Farage and UKIP will command the debate because Tories and labour dare not openly admit its a lost cause already.
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I fall into that group.

I would say that one of the possible reasons for them wanting out is what they see as the future for their children.

In the most basic, simplest terms, we see our children as special, we would rather like to see them as held special by the country. Not thrown into competition with anybody else who turns up on these shores.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interestingly, while Ukip's popularity increases, desire to leave the EU has fallen slightly. Most recent YouGov poll I saw had 40% wanting to stay and 38% wanting to leave.
    I fall into that group.

I would say that one of the possible reasons for them wanting out is what they see as the future for their children.

In the most basic, simplest terms, we see our children as special, we would rather like to see them as held special by the country. Not thrown into competition with anybody else who turns up on these shores.

Maybe the 'stay in' side also see their children as special and don't want to jeapordise their future job prospects and British economy by pulling out of the EU?

It depends on whether you think EU withdrawal would ultimately be beneficial or detrimental. But I don't doubt all women care about the future for their children. They just foresee different futures for them if we exited the EU.