Options

In or out of EU?

Comments

• Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DS9 wrote: »
    There are lots of ways... Irish and Polish women stay here for a few weeks* with friends to get free abortions. Then they go home.

*3 weeks residency is the only proof needed from an EU citizen to prove they live here permanently and thus qualify for free treatment.

Indians bring their friends or family over on holiday visas and just take them to the hospital if it counts as an emergency they get treated without questions. Otherwise they use someone else's details to register with a GP. They usually get caught but only after it's too late to do anything about it.

This all seems plausible. Though I am not sure how you go about applying for visa in anticipation of 'emergency treatment'. As if an airline is going to accept a passenger with an untreated broken leg or untreated heart attack as fit to fly.
  • Options
    AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    According to the UK govt's lawyers, a yes vote for Scottish Independence automatically expels Scotland from the EU. Easy as that! So that will change my vote here to OUT instead of IN because for me, independence comes before all other priorities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Airam wrote: »
    According to the UK govt's lawyers, a yes vote for Scottish Independence automatically expels Scotland from the EU. Easy as that! So that will change my vote here to OUT instead of IN because for me, independence comes before all other priorities.

So would you like the EU to expel the UK too ? And expel British citizens living in other parts of the EU too ?

Exactly how would 'explosion' work ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's not up to me. The UK rump's membership of any international body is of no interest to me following Scottish Independence.

I trust the Scottish government to steer the best course for Scotland in all policy areas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not up to me.

So do you want a referendum ? A referendum vote will 'up to you'.
    The UK rump's membership of any international body is of no interest to me following Scottish Independence.

What does 'rump' mean ? Like a 'rump' steak ?
    I trust the Scottish government to steer the best course for Scotland in all policy areas.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    So do you want a referendum ? A referendum vote will 'up to you'.

What does 'rump' mean ? Like a 'rump' steak ?

Fingers crossed.

a referendum for in/out EU?

While Scotland is still part of the UK? - yes, if it's granted, but I wouldn't go to the barricades to demand it.

rump = erse

In this case, the bit clinging onto the body of an independent Scotland and a wee bit on the side, the no longer United Kingdom, one kingdom, a principality and a province.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Define 'vast majority' ?

And exactly how are these group of people 'not supposed to use the NHS' ? And why do the NHS agree to treat them if they are 'not supposed to'.

Vast majority in this case means well less than 50%. :D Having said that, there ar large numbers of ex-pats in France who travel back to the UK for medical treatment. How do they do it? They do it by having an accommodation address in the UK, sometimes their own home of which they retained ownership or using that of a relative. In many cases, they don't register into the French health system and don't recognise the risks of what could happen were they rushed into hospital as an emergency. The "dual" residency is used to escape a number of obligations on the ex-pats when they are resident in France and it's OK until they get caught, either by accident or they're found out by the authorities.

On another point you made about British ex-pats position regarding abandoning the EU, it's worth noting that at least before the recession, London was the 7th largest French city with around 250,000 French living and working there although some returned home at the weekend. Dublin also had a sizeable French ex-pat population.
  • Options
    KHUKKHUK Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrc20 wrote: »
    The EU needs to revert back to the state where it was a trading bloc rather than the current, federalist system.

Never going to happen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    I'm out.
  • Options
    KHUKKHUK Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm out.

I'll second that.
  • Options
    guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since someone who apparently can't use the search function has started a repeat poll: if you haven't already, register your vote here.
  • Options
    TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    A year or so ago, I would have answered 'IN'.

But then they started toppling democratically elected governments and leaders, so it's one big 'OUT' from me.

Regards,

Cypher
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    In. From what I've seen of things, all the major bad decisions have been made by the UK government, while the majority of the good decisions have been made to implement legislation agreed at EU level.

The EU would never have got us involved in Iraq for a start.

There was a number of EU states who supported the war in Iraq and some took part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another discussion, so I'm shamelessly bumping this poll for any newcomers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it ain't going away, but I couldn't resist bumping this anyway - primarily because it annoys Mithy so much. :D

There was some talk about recent "concessions" from Cameron having caused a balancing of opinion. The most recent You Gov poll puts the lead exactly as expressed here, at 56 / 44, as I recall it was previously. So those convertees to the Cameron Cause must have been fickle wobblers.

Vote, if you haven't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Out! Out! Out!
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a lot more bad news to come from the Eurozone.
    We are chained to a corpse.
  • Options
    timetosaygoodbytimetosaygoodby Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this poll is very encouraging that 57% want out, considering older people (1 in 6 people are over 65 which is about 1 in 5 voters) do not use the internet and this poll is likely to be weighted by younger people I am confident a referendum will return an out vote
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am confident a referendum will return an out vote

If we ever get one.
  • Options
    CSJBCSJB Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    I'm confident a referendum will return an out vote.
    So are our politicians.
    That's why we won't get one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guypd wrote: »
    Well it ain't going away, but I couldn't resist bumping this anyway - primarily because it annoys Mithy so much. :D

There was some talk about recent "concessions" from Cameron having caused a balancing of opinion. The most recent You Gov poll puts the lead exactly as expressed here, at 56 / 44, as I recall it was previously. So those convertees to the Cameron Cause must have been fickle wobblers.

Vote, if you haven't.

I think the argument is that Cameron pushing the issue of a referendum on to the agenda caused support for the EU to rise, now it's more or less slipped back to where it was before.

One thing that does seem consistent in most of the polls is that when you frame the question around Cameron's "renegotiation" the support for staying in increases dramatically. As Peter Kellner says:
    YouGov has started asking a second question:

Imagine the British government under David Cameron renegotiated our relationship with Europe and said that Britain's interests were now protected, and David Cameron recommended that Britain remain a member of the European Union on the new terms. How would you then vote in a referendum on the issue?

Every time we have asked this question we have found that those saying "stay in" clearly outnumber those who say "get out". Our most recent poll finds a three-to-two majority for remaining in the EU. The big switch occurs among Tory voters. At present they favour withdrawal; but, given a clear lead from the top of their party, most say they would vote to remain in the club.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/07/britain-eu-referendum
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    I think the argument is that Cameron pushing the issue of a referendum on to the agenda caused support for the EU to rise, now it's more or less slipped back to where it was before.

One thing that does seem consistent in most of the polls is that when you frame the question around Cameron's "renegotiation" the support for staying in increases dramatically. As Peter Kellner says:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/07/britain-eu-referendum

There is no way on this planet DC will get anything substantial that protects British Interests from the queen if Europe tm Merkel. Anyone who pretends otherwise is extremely naive.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lord Healey told me from his home in Sussex tonight:

“I wouldn’t object strongly to leaving the EU. The advantages of being members of the union are not obvious. The disadvantages are very obvious. I can see the case for leaving – the case for leaving is stronger than for staying in.”

Lawson, Healey,Lamont,Portillo,Thatcher....all in favour of leaving the EU
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    There is no way on this planet DC will get anything substantial that protects British Interests from the queen if Europe tm Merkel. Anyone who pretends otherwise is extremely naive.

That's part of Kellner's point: that even if Cameron doesn't receive anything substantial, the simple framing of the question with Cameron presenting it as a changed relationship has a drastic effect on public opinion.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bunk_medal wrote: »
    That's part of Kellner's point: that even if Cameron doesn't receive anything substantial, the simple framing of the question with Cameron presenting it as a changed relationship has a drastic effect on public opinion.

There's a problem with that theory. Now we have Nigel Farage more or less mainstream and who is actually honest about what Brussels is up too Cameron won't get away with the lies and spin if he gets a few crumbs off queen Ang.