Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    merrybiscuitmerrybiscuit Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just looked lol. Not sure if I could persuade hubster! But then it is a bank holiday... Do I just buy them and surprise him lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    floopy123 wrote: »
    John VIrgo just said

"No better break-builder in the game than Ronnie O'Sullivan."

Hmm.. Stephen Hendry comes to mind!

Is Hendry now considered not in the game as he is now retired? Lol
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    John VIrgo just said

"No better break-builder in the game than Ronnie O'Sullivan."

Hmm.. Stephen Hendry comes to mind!

Stephen had retired, so I have to agree with Virgo on this one. :cool:
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Hendry now considered not in the game as he is now retired? Lol
    :D

Exactly! Virgo chose his words intentionally I'm sure ;)

Dream start for O'Sullivan and his legion of fans, three frames bagged in next to no time....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having failed in his quest to become Hendry VIII, Stephen settles for being Spiderman IV:

http://caledonianmercury.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/hendry4.jpg
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four in a row for Ronnie and leads 7-5. I bet Robertson is happy there is now a break for 20 mins or so. Gives him a chance to clear his head and pot some balls on the practice table. Could O'Sullivan do a Matthew Stevens here and win the session 8-0?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is anybody actually enjoying this pub quiz?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nope :( I'd rather the player profiles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cracks me up daily Jim :D:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ey oop......it's Dave Adams :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope :( I'd rather the player profiles.

I haven't got a clue what's going on half the time. :eek:
    Cracks me up daily Jim :D:o
    :D
    You're right TC, I think it is not to be taken too seriously, but I really enjoyed Mastermind they did a few years ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't got a clue what's going on half the time. :eek:

Neither do I. I'm not a historic snooker fan, and have spent about 10ish years watching the wsc, so I am still learning the rules! Still trying to understand the freeball issue in the Trump game. My hubster tried to explain but I didn't really get it lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They really need to get the ref to make an announcement after the mid-session interval to turn the phones off, happens every time......
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Neither do I. I'm not a historic snooker fan, and have spent about 10ish years watching the wsc, so I am still learning the rules! Still trying to understand the freeball issue in the Trump game. My hubster tried to explain but I didn't really get it lol.

In the good old days, they used to do daily features which went through facets of the game, and issues like the free ball. Went through questions from viewers about technique, general queries, and had features on the players.

Now, they just seem to think having the hilarious presenters doing different things is sufficient......
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Why can't Virgo keep his mouth shut for five seconds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I just find it too rushed. I love the history of the game, but half the time I am not finding out the answers to the questions.

As said above in the old days they used to have 'Snooker Break' where the rules were explained, and also a classic frame from a former year was replayed.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is an app for iPhone that I downloaded. It is a snooker world championship quiz. I downloaded it and you have to answer 10 questions in as quick a time as possible. Some very tricky ones in there too. However, one of them was "which player has won the most world championships at the Crucible ?" Obviously i clicked on Hendry and i said "incorrect - Steve Davis". Deleted it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's odd they don't do that anymore. I'm often ssshhed by my hubby in the crucible when I don't understand something lol!

Did steve davis used to set up a snooker table to answer the questions? I vaguely remember that!

Even if they did historic game footage or historic profiles I'd find it more interesting than the quiz!
  • Options
    floopy123floopy123 Posts: 6,003
    Forum Member
    Neil Robertson seems to have forgotten how to play Snooker! I hope he isn't having a John Higgins kind of meltdown.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has got to be the longest frame in the session!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's odd they don't do that anymore. I'm often ssshhed by my hubby in the crucible when I don't understand something lol!

Did steve davis used to set up a snooker table to answer the questions? I vaguely remember that!

Even if they did historic game footage or historic profiles I'd find it more interesting than the quiz!

It was way before Steve Davis joined the presenting team. More the likes of Jack Karnehm, Ray Edmunds and Jim Meadowcroft, with help from some of the refs of the time. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    O'Sullivan guaranteed parity by the end of the session, which before play he'd have settled for......but not now........
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isnt looking good for Robertson. I cannot see him coming back. Ronnie looking to good and Robertson confidence seems to have gone due to O'Sullivans superb play.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he is by no means on his own though. a lot of them play low percentage pots too often. it invites a tight player to beat them.

i also think a lot of them do not have sufficient close control when making a big break. They end up having to pull out harder shots than the ought to, to keep breaks going.

Yeah I totally agree with you. The break building element seems to have been neglected for long potting ability of late.

Principle wrote: »
    Sadly I think Stephen Maguire, who I strongly dislike, is going to win this match with a session to spare.

I can't put my finger on it but i'm not keen on Maguire myself. Maybe it has something to do with the alledged match fixing he was accused of or maybe its just his demeanor. I've never warmed to him and do not enjoy watching him. Not sure why though :confused:

I don't know about you but I find the BBC's red button coverage of the snooker quite poor. Twice now I have seen some looped coverage. Also when you try and find the coverage on the red button, its not there to select.

It hasn't been that great if you watch via freeview. I think that because of the sports multiscreen on freesat they seem to have neglected the freeview red button some.

Hendry quits snooker this is a sad day for the sport, i hope he changes his mind :(

I must say he will be remembered at his best. The best break builder, best red ball splitter, best closer of a match and the most successful. To add to his legacy is that in his last crucible tournament he knocked in a 147 break. Brilliant.

Neil Robertson seems to have forgotten how to play Snooker! I hope he isn't having a John Higgins kind of meltdown.

As good as Ronnie is playing, Robertson is poor. I very much doubt a complete loss of form in this match but you begin to wonder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This isnt looking good for Robertson. I cannot see him coming back. Ronnie looking to good and Robertson confidence seems to have gone due to O'Sullivans superb play.
    I think the first two or three frames when ROS was on fire and won in a blink of an eye unsettled Robbo psychologically and he's struggled to get anything going, thus helping Ronnie who in all honesty has been a bit wobbly thereafter........
This discussion has been closed.