Options

Official Snooker Thread (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    928 Points to 208 so far. Says it all really.
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,335,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poor old Hendry's averaging less than seven balls potted a frame. Oh well, chance for Ryan Day to play in a one table situation for the first time tomorrow!

Talking of whom, I didn't know he married his father's sister-in-law...that's not one of those Wiki wind-ups is it?
  • Options
    MarkBealesMarkBeales Posts: 3,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aye, Hendry needs to win three of the last five to avoid the snooker equivalent of an innings defeat.

Wonder what's wrong with Knowlesy?

In what way?
  • Options
    PompeyBillPompeyBill Posts: 7,409
    Forum Member
    Whilst it's sad to see a great champion like Hendry getting an absolute tonking, when Maguire is in this mood he is an awesome player. When he gets the bit between his teeth, his aggressive and bullying way of playing is so effective.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,768
    Forum Member
    Aye, Hendry needs to win three of the last five to avoid the snooker equivalent of an innings defeat.

Wonder what's wrong with Knowlesy?

:confused::confused:

Who do you mean TC? Not the fella that beat Davis 10 - 1 in a first round match, 1982?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    :confused::confused:

Who do you mean TC? Not the fella that beat Davis 10 - 1 in a first round match, 1982?
    Yup, Tony Knowles. His name cropped up when Maguire went 10-1 up in fact........ Virgo said he hadn't been too clever lately and hope he gets well soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, Tony Knowles. His name cropped up when Maguire went 10-1 up in fact........ Virgo said he hadn't been too clever lately and hope he gets well soon.

Well I noticed the other day that he's entered this year's Q school
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkBeales wrote: »
    Well I noticed the other day that he's entered this year's Q school
    Maybe he's just had an op or something and is just convalescing then, don't know....
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    I don't know about you but I find the BBC's red button coverage of the snooker quite poor. Twice now I have seen some looped coverage. Also when you try and find the coverage on the red button, its not there to select.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was cleared of an attack on one of his employees in the pub he runs in Bolton last week. Don't know whether that's what he was referring to
  • Options
    ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not quite sure what happened to my post earlier but I'll say it again. This was thrashing was always on the cards. Maguire is looking really on form and Hendry came up an atrocious Higgins in the last round and didn't play well himself on the way to a 13-4 victory.

Maguire was my dark horse for the championship, he's down to 11/4 now after this.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about you but I find the BBC's red button coverage of the snooker quite poor. Twice now I have seen some looped coverage. Also when you try and find the coverage on the red button, its not there to select.

I have found it very hit and miss this year. As you say half the time it can not be found, and when I do find it I have no sound. I have to keep swapping tables to get the audio.

I think my Sky box is allergic to Willie Thorne so deletes the sound when he's on. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks, I missed them mentioning him on the commentary.

I googled him and found this >> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/4267889/Look-cues-back.html

He is making a come back!:eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Whoop whoop ..... Hendry has won a frame. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People's mobiles going off is getting to be an absolute joke!
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,697
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    Do you think he said anything that was inaccurate or untrue?

Well admittedly I didnt see all of his match but I'm sure Ali said something in his interview about Judd not being a good sportsman (not apologising for flukes?) and just smashing balls around etc, but in that last frame Judd laid some very good snookers and displayed good sportsmanship when he pointed out he hadnt got a free ball when he was at the snookers required stage :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I googled him and found this >> http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/4267889/Look-cues-back.html

Yeah The Sun are about a year late with this story though cos he entered Q school last year, and was soundly thrashed by Mike Hallett in the first of them!
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

Aww, Knowlesy's dream is to win The World Championship next year! :eek: I think that might remain a dream. :(
  • Options
    ExistentialistExistentialist Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Club player misses an easy pot - he's rubbish

A pro misses an easy pot - a kick.

There be the laws of snooker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aww, Knowlesy's dream is to win The World Championship next year! :eek: I think that might remain a dream. :(

If he couldn't win when he was 'young and good looking', it ain't gonna happen for him now!

When TK hit the headlines in 1982 he was the singularly best looking thing to have ever to hit the green baize....... and didn't he know it. ;):p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have found it very hit and miss this year. As you say half the time it can not be found, and when I do find it I have no sound. I have to keep swapping tables to get the audio.

I think my Sky box is allergic to Willie Thorne so deletes the sound when he's on. :cool:

I have to say its as if they find a few hours spare on one channel and stick it on wherever it is free.

Hazel said the other day that they did not show Hendry's 147 in its entirety because they were dipping in and out to the other game. Sums up the coverage really.

I find that the BBC Snooker's coverage is poor at best.

It is like an ex-player old school reunion. I don't see the logic in not having Clive Everton commentating.

The fillers between frames and matches are just plain terrible.

I wish ITV or Channel 4 would get the rights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If he couldn't win when he was 'young and good looking', it ain't gonna happen for him now!

When TK hit the headlines in 1982 he was the singularly best looking thing to have ever to hit the green baize....... and didn't he know it. ;):p

In 1982 there were only old men and a few others playing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Club player misses an easy pot - he's rubbish

A pro misses an easy pot - a kick.

There be the laws of snooker.

I know the commentators just took it for granted, but did Hendry just not hit is at the right angle?

I have a view on kicks which is not mentioned too often.

I believe it may have something to do with the sweat and natural grease from the players bridge hands constantly being rubbed on the table.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member

He he, I remember it Stunty!! :D
  • Options
    JSemple3JSemple3 Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Well thankfully for steven the battering is complete. Can't believe how badly he played at times.
This discussion has been closed.