Options

Britney at The 2016 Billboard Music Awards

Comments

• Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    Read it again. I replied to the poster who made an inaccurate comment about Britney being the queen of pop in post #33. I simply corrected them. I didn't even mention Rihanna to begin with. It was Linda who was blatantly using her as an excuse to bash Madonna so it was far from innocent. and you can get involved as much as you like. You're clearly a biased stan who refuses to see any wrong in anything Rihanna does.

Jeannie you have completed hijacked and taken over this thread by turning it into an artist war. I stated Britney is the queen of pop which she IS. To me and to many other Britney fans. You decided to come onto a Britney related thread and bring Madonna into it. Who says that the person that has sold the most albums gets the title of Queen of pop?? You realise that there isn't an actual rulebook or official results for this title right?This thread honestly had nothing to do with Madonna.

For many Britney fans seeing her back on form is amazing and she will always be the Queen of pop (to me :cool:).
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I apologise for contributing to the thread going off topic but I think it's clear why I felt the need to do so.
  • Options
    Jeannie_WilsonJeannie_Wilson Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    That's an opinion. You can't say it's inaccurate. There's no official measurement of who is the "Queen of pop". I'm not a biased stan. I've criticised Rihanna many times on this forum but I will defend her when people post biased/inaccurate figures.

Just like I will defend Madonna when others put her down and spout absolute nonsense.

Britney, Rihanna, Kylie or any of these pop princess never get called the queen of pop by the media and that's because the title is Madonna's.

Who do the pop princess's cite as their main inspiration?

Whose name pops up on google when you type in "Queen of Pop"?

Is anyone other than Michael Jackson referred to as the King Of Pop?

Is anyone else referred to the "The King Of Rock and Roll" other than Elvis?
    No..so why should her title even be up for debate?

I am sick and tired of people who have no idea what they're talking about fling the "Queen of Pop" title around like it's a free for all. None of the people mentioned in this thread will ever match Madonna's sales and achievements, Ever! So your desperate attempts to put your favorites on her throne is a complete waste of time.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just like I will defend Madonna when others put her down and spout absolute nonsense.

Britney, Rihanna, Kylie or any of these pop princess never get called the queen of pop by the media and that's because the title is Madonna's.

I am sick and tired of people who have no idea what they're talking about fling the "Queen of Pop" title around like it's a free for all. No one will ever match Madonna's sales, achievements, Ever! So your desperate attempts to put your favorites on her throne is a complete waste of time.

Your making it sound like an honorary title, it's made up...anyone could be called Queen of Pop/King of Pop if they so choose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Your making it sound like an honorary title, it's made up...anyone could be called Queen of Pop/King of Pop if they so choose.

Oops, I mentioned MJ being called the King Of Pop.... Sorry. I really shouldn't have around Prince fans. (Even though I love and adored him).
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oops, I mentioned MJ being called the King Of Pop.... Sorry. I really shouldn't have around Prince fans. (Even though I love and adored him).

Prince is Prince so at least his title is real :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyyleer wrote: »
    Jeannie you have completed hijacked and taken over this thread by turning it into an artist war. I stated Britney is the queen of pop which she IS. To me and to many other Britney fans. You decided to come onto a Britney related thread and bring Madonna into it. Who says that the person that has sold the most albums gets the title of Queen of pop?? You realise that there isn't an actual rulebook or official results for this title right?This thread honestly had nothing to do with Madonna.

For many Britney fans seeing her back on form is amazing and she will always be the Queen of pop (to me :cool:).

Did I really?

I said I liked Britney and enjoyed some of her music. I even like Rihanna's. All I did was refute your claim, that was when Linda came in with a long winded essay on how (what seemed like) every female artist is better than Madonna, and that's where it started to turn nasty. Look again. It's there in B/W.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is anyone else referred to the "The King Of Rock and Roll" other than Elvis?
    No..so why should her title even be up for debate?

I am sick and tired of people who have no idea what they're talking about fling the "Queen of Pop" title around like it's a free for all. None of the people mentioned in this thread will ever match Madonna's sales and achievements, Ever! So your desperate attempts to put your favorites on her throne is a complete waste of time.

BIB: But no one had a go at Madonna. You brought her up. Someone labelling Britney as the "Queen of pop" isn't an insult towards Madonna.

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's a fictional title based solely on opinion and I couldn't care less who the "Queen of pop" is as it means absolutely nothing.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    Are people really arguing about who is the fictional 'Queen Of Pop'?
  • Options
    PandakooPandakoo Posts: 5,429
    Forum Member
    BIB: But no one had a go at Madonna. You brought her up. Someone labelling Britney as the "Queen of pop" isn't an insult towards Madonna.

This whole thing is beyond ridiculous. It's a fictional title based solely on opinion and I couldn't care less who the "Queen of pop" is as it means absolutely nothing.

AMEN lol this thread is actually quite funny when you think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right, It IS ridiculous.

Ridiculous that we're having this conversation. All I did was refute his claim. I didn't use any bad language or call anyone names like the others did and yet I'm in the wrong :confused:

Rob said "She's now just an old slag" and Tyler called her an old woman that was relevant 10 years ago.

Are those not insults?

and you also seem to be completely ignoring post #48 where they use Rihanna as a stick to bash Madonna, but I can't say i'm surprised. You seem to champion anyone who defends Rihanna....no matter how much crap they talk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, It is ridiculous.

Ridiculous that we're having this conversation. All I did was refute his claim. I didn't use any bad language or call anyone names like the others did and yet I'm in the wrong?

Rob said "She's now just an old slag" and Tyler called her an old woman that was relevant 10 years ago.

Are those not insults?

and you also seem to be completely ignoring post #48 where they have used Rihanna as a stick to bash Madonna but I can't say i'm surprised. You seem to champion anyone who defends Rihanna. It's rather pitiful to say the least.

BIB: And yet you continue. You're stating something as fact that quite simply isn't. It's rather sad that you continue to take a fictional title so seriously. This has nothing to do with me defending Rihanna. I defended her purely based on your inaccurate and misleading figures. Not because somebody called her a slag. That sort of petty insult is hardly worth getting worked up over.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB: And yet you continue. You're stating something as fact that quite simply isn't. It's rather sad that you continue to take a fictional title so seriously. This has nothing to do with me defending Rihanna. I defended her purely based on your inaccurate and misleading figures. Not because somebody called her a slag. That sort of petty insult is hardly worth getting worked up over.

I could say the same about you continuing with the back and forth.

If someone called Rihanna a "slag" and "irrelevant" like they did with Madonna you'd ignore it? Absolute rubbish!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could say the same about you continuing with the back and forth.

If someone called Rihanna a "slag" and "irrelevant" like they did with Madonna you'd ignore it? Absolute rubbish!

Well I'm ignoring your Rihanna v Beyonce thread so yes I would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm ignoring your Rihanna v Beyonce thread so yes I would.

Pmsl. Despite what you might think I didn't create that thread for you so I couldn't care less if you ignored it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pmsl. Despite what you might think I didn't create that thread for you so I couldn't care less if you ignored it.

Pmsl.
  • Options
    Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member

Rihanna has sold over 200 million records worldwide in just 11 years. I know her single sales are a lot higher than her album sales but I wouldn't be surprised if she reaches the 300 million mark by the end of this decade. It's not like Madonna's selling a lot of albums and singles anymore so I doubt Rihanna will have any trouble catching her up eventually. She's already surpassed Madonna's tally of number one singles on the Hot 100 in the US (that wasn't exactly hard, Madonna's last number one was 16 years ago). She's also second to Mariah Carey for the most weeks spent at number one. With Work becoming another massive worldwide hit for Rihanna (five million copies sold worldwide, nine weeks at #1 in the US) it doesn't look like she's going anywhere anytime soon. Her UK single sales are at 11 million so it's not outside the realm of possibility that she will also surpass Madonna's UK sales at some point as well. Madonna isn't going to hold these records forever, Rihanna is only 28 years old, she has decades ahead of her yet.

I don't think Rihanna will reach 300 million by 2020 but there's nothing to stop her reaching it within the next ten years, it just depends on how many albums she releases. It's only May and she's already had two big hit singles that will probably sell between 10 and 15 million copies combined by December. Anti's sales have been affected by the way it was released. Looking at Wikipedia Rihanna only needs ten more top ten entries on the Billboard Hot 100 and she'll have the most by any act. I think it's safe to assume she'll accomplish that. As for the UK, I have no doubt in my mind that Adele will break the record for the most albums sold by a female artist. She has already sold over ten million in just eight years.

The problem with Madonna's fans is they're so bitter about any other female artist that achieves commercial success. Every few years another female artist arrives on the scene and Madonna fans are the first to claim they won't last and they're just a "wannabe". They said it about Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Kylie Minogue, Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Rihanna and Lady Gaga. Madonna herself wasn't tipped to last so you would think that her fans would be willing to let other artists prove themselves before writing them off as no-hopers. I don't rate Britney Spears (she can't sing) but I acknowledge that she has stood the test of time and has had a successful career.

There's something sad and tragic about women and gay men nearing middle age who are still bitching about pop stars like they did back in high school.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!!

There's something equally tragic about men who spend endless amounts of time bashing Madonna and her fans by logging in and out of different ID'S - on here as well as other forums. How many accounts do you have on DS?
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something completely tragic about adults that feel the need to point score and play musical artists off against each other as if they're pokémon cards.

Anyway, back to BRITNEY.

I'm a long term Britney fan, but I'm getting a bit fed up of her live performances now. I've always defended her miming due to her energetic dance routines, but it's just impossible to do that now.

For the most part she was robotic with that 'dancing by numbers' routine that I've come to expect from her. There's no personality in her performances and she makes no effort to connect with her audience. She hardly even bothers to mime accurately. I'll give her this, it was a better performance than some others we've seen in the last 10 years, and she looked more comfortable towards the end of the performance, but it's just not good enough. I'm glad I've not splashed out to fly to the US to see PoM if that's the best she can offer.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    "Stripped iz the best album evar and way betta than that shyt those old has beens Dumb Madge and crappy Rihyonce has ever dun! They need 2 take a leaf from Xtina's book cos she SLAYYYYYYYYYYYYS"

etc, et al.

LOL Exactly.

They just can't stand the fact that, yes Xtina is a far better all round performer that Britney, however she has always been less loved by the public and will never be out from under the much bigger shadow Brit casts. Ever.
  • Options
    CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She mimes. She doesn't even pretend otherwise and mimes badly because she even half arses that.

Never mind whether its a 'great performance' or not, is that really a 'performance' at all any more?
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol at this thread, can't believe people are arguing about a title that's not even real!

Anyway, I'm glad that some people enjoyed the performance, but to me as a long time fan it was disappointing. She has set the bar so low for herself and I just wish she'd push herself and try to do better. Her performances these days are totally relying on her legacy rather than anything she's done in the last 8 years or so. It's lazy and until people (ie her fans) demand more from her and aren't so easily satisfied, she'll never be more than what she's now been reduced to. Britney was never a great 'live' singer but at the very least, in the past, she'd put on a hell of a show to in some way compensate. Whilst I believe that every singer should sing live all the time, I can see why people excused that in Britney when she was at her peak. But now? She's still miming, and poorly at that, but her dance moves are very non existent and super stiff. So it seems a lose lose situation to me.
  • Options
    TayTayTayTay Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    LOL Exactly.

They just can't stand the fact that, yes Xtina is a far better all round performer that Britney, however she has always been less loved by the public and will never be out from under the much bigger shadow Brit casts. Ever.

I like what you did there.
  • Options
    Chris_YoungChris_Young Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    A few pressed bitches in this thread that simply can't accept that she had a good performance and nailed it. She ain't gonna dance like that same 19/20 year old girl. She's a 34 year old woman. She gave her 110% and people still aren't happy. The performance is getting praised by the worlds media, fans and non fans alike. A lot of silly little queens who clearly think they could do a better job than Britney when in reality if you where up there you wouldn't have a clue what to do. The lip syncing comments. What are we in? 2001? She's a dancer and performer first and foremost. Her mic was actually turned on during some parts of the performance. But asking her to sing live is like asking Adele to break out into a dance routine. Never going to happen. And bring Xtina in this. Completely irrelevant. Just like her xtinct career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A few pressed bitches in this thread that simply can't accept that she had a good performance and nailed it. She ain't gonna dance like that same 19/20 year old girl. She's a 34 year old woman. She gave her 110% and people still aren't happy. The performance is getting praised by the worlds media, fans and non fans alike. A lot of silly little queens who clearly think they could do a better job than Britney when in reality if you where up there you wouldn't have a clue what to do. The lip syncing comments. What are we in? 2001? She's a dancer and performer first and foremost. Her mic was actually turned on during some parts of the performance. But asking her to sing live is like asking Adele to break out into a dance routine. Never going to happen. And bring Xtina in this. Completely irrelevant. Just like her xtinct career.

I'd love her to have a good performance, but this certainly wasn't it. No we're in 2016 when none of the major pop girls would get away with miming on an awards show and none of the others did, so why should Britney be excused, especially when her dance routing was lazy and half arsed. She's 34 not 54.