Options

I'm on benefits and I bought a fridge for £2k, now in serious debt, please help!

13»

Comments

• Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Soomacdoo wrote: »
    Charlotte said: "Just because I'm on benefits, why shouldn't I have the nicer things in life?"

"It has got me into financial difficulty obviously but at the same time I now own what I dreamed of owning, which is a luxury fridge freezer."

She added: "It made me feel awesome when my friends came - they'd call me posh, which made me feel a bit like a footballer's wife."
    1: Because you're not earning them like every person who works hard for their stuff.

2: Seriously? Is she for real? Does she have some sort of fridge fetish or something? Anyway, what's the point of owning a fridge when she can't afford the food to put in it.

3: She seems to have more in common with a footballers wife than the fridge - namely her IQ.

Elsewhere in the article it says she won't buy supermarket own brands. I'm guessing she must be shop lifting these "luxury" brands because I'm pretty sure you can't get food on credit.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    1: Because you're not earning them like every person who works hard for their stuff.

2: Seriously? Is she for real? Does she have some sort of fridge fetish or something? Anyway, what's the point of owning a fridge when she can't afford the food to put in it.

3: She seems to have more in common with a footballers wife than the fridge - namely her IQ.

Elsewhere in the article it says she won't buy supermarket own brands. I'm guessing she must be shop lifting these "luxury" brands because I'm pretty sure you can't get food on credit.

Well, you can. Overdrafts, credit cards and loans.

The woman featured in the article/program is living on borrowed time. She's not maintaining her lifestyle on benefits, she's maintaining her lifestyle on credit.

It will catch up with her within the next couple of years, max. Then she'll be stuck.

Someone like that just has to be left to make their own mistakes. Clearly she wont learn whilst the credit is flowing - as demonstrated by the fact she's rather proud of her lifestyle and doesn't see the problem yet.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She should change the bulb to red & make a fortune.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never realised that Richmond sausages were an aspirational brand.

Technically, they only contain 42% pork. It's best not to think too much about the remaining 58%.
  • Options
    Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a episode of supernatural where a child got stuck in a fridge

Cool story bro :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    I've not seen the show as I'm too busy watching programmes before they get released in the UK (but still at least an hour after they get shown) in order to avoid the licence fee but considering the current 'reality' output and recent product placement regulation changes, I've got to wonder if that Anne Robinson thing was really a documentary or just a hidden commercial with a 'let's laugh at the lunatics' vibe thrown in for good measure.
    The article was poorly written as well, implying that a TV, washing machine, cooker and sofa were 'splashing out' and heaven forbid that people on benefits should furnish their flats(!)
    I'm pretty sure that they make blue light-bulbs these days too but failing that, they certainly have blue plastic sheets that can be cut to size and placed on the inside of the light cover :D
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, I saw this prog too.

It's a sad fact that many people can't manage their own money. I know of numerous examples spanning all age groups who to a lesser or greater extent can't manage money or resist buying stuff they don't need/can't afford.
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor OP. Imagine going to all the trouble of writing that up, but completely lacking in any imagination or originality.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Ultimately anything in a tin (particularly a mix like sausages and beans) is pauper food

I buy tins of peas which I have with chips

I buy peas/broad beans in the pod which I end up eating raw :)
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm watching it now
    she said "why shouldn't I have nice things?"
    because you chose to have 3 children
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it now
    she said "why shouldn't I have nice things?"
    because you chose to have 3 children
    I thought she only had two kids . The point still stands though. She's thick .

Gotta say tho , that family with the overdraft shocked me a bit . A continuous £500 overdraft yet happy to spend £2,500 a year on after school clubs ? That's over £50 a week ! That's a lot for someone claiming to be on the breadline . During the school holidays I get it, they need stimulation, but during term time there MUST be other things to occupy them for free .
    Can't fault rich creep for pointing it out as incongruous , BUT rich creep got on my nerves flopping around in his man cave and his huge house like king of the castle while earning a mere £10,000 a year . Meanwhile his wife does a two hour commute to a bank job and earns £90,000 .:o
    Normally the difference in earning power wouldn't bother me , but the guy was irritating and very unlikeable so I'm happy to bitch about him . .
  • Options
    artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP reported for starting a pointless thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    artnada wrote: »
    OP reported for starting a pointless thread.
    Why ?:confused:
    It's just a different way of opening up a discussion.
    Surely no one really takes his opening post as being truthfully his/her own story ?
  • Options
    Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she only had two kids . The point still stands though. She's thick .

Gotta say tho , that family with the overdraft shocked me a bit . A continuous £500 overdraft yet happy to spend £2,500 a year on after school clubs ? That's over £50 a week ! That's a lot for someone claiming to be on the breadline . During the school holidays I get it, they need stimulation, but during term time there MUST be other things to occupy them for free .
    Can't fault rich creep for pointing it out as incongruous , BUT rich creep got on my nerves flopping around in his man cave and his huge house like king of the castle while earning a mere £10,000 a year . Meanwhile his wife does a two hour commute to a bank job and earns £90,000 .:o
    Normally the difference in earning power wouldn't bother me , but the guy was irritating and very unlikeable so I'm happy to bitch about him . .

She had two kids and a baby on the way
    the couple who had 6 kids they complained they had no money but then they have 6 kids and then it turned out they were spending £2,500 a year on activities for all of them. By the rich creep I thought you meant the old man with all the books who was talking about how much it cost to send his kids to eton. It annoyed me that the woman was going through the other couples home and gasping at all the luxury items and the man of the couple with 6 kids looked angry at times he probably hated someone else trying to push their lifestyle on him. These programmes always love causing friction by pairing a couple with no money up with another with money she said at one point "he thinks he's better than us"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She had two kids and a baby on the way
    the couple who had 6 kids they complained they had no money but then they have 6 kids and then it turned out they were spending £2,500 a year on activities for all of them. By the rich creep I thought you meant the old man with all the books who was talking about how much it cost to send his kids to eton. It annoyed me that the woman was going through the other couples home and gasping at all the luxury items and the man of the couple with 6 kids looked angry at times he probably hated someone else trying to push their lifestyle on him. These programmes always love causing friction by pairing a couple with no money up with another with money she said at one point "he thinks he's better than us"
    No sorry , you are mistaken there . The ones paying £2500 for activities have FOUR children . They were referred to as having "6 people to clothe and feed" , but that includes the parents .:)
    And no, not the older Eton loving man. I meant the younger chap with two kids and a high earning wife . He was a pain in the bum boaster , but was spot on re the £2,500. I laughed at him force feeding his visitor stupid boring pictures of their expensive holidays . All he needed was a framed photo of himself with a murdered lion to complete his ridiculous view of his superiority .
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One odd thing I spotted.
    One of the rich guys was apparently driving a skoda fabia.....nothing wrong with a skoda fabia, but I wouldn't choose one if I had loads of money.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww. Bless...... Wind up or not; you think Richmond are 'top brand' sausages!
    That was the most amusing thing of the whole post.
    Or was that a wind up too.. :confused:
  • Options
    SupportSupport Posts: 70,851
    Administrator
    I like turtles.
This discussion has been closed.