Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Thebenster wrote: »
    I watched the highlights and he said that as a neutral he wanted Arsenal to score from a move, and he said the red card was the right decision. Not sure how that is anti Arsenal. :confused:

I didn't see any of Sky's live coverage last night, but as an LFC supporter I assume that I would have thought of Andy Gray and Alan Parry as very anti-Liverpool from about 56 minutes onwards ;)

In the same manner, forum reguar 'Homesdale' has seemingly taken a dislike to almost every commentator punished with working on a West Ham game in the last 18 months ;):)

:o
  • Options
    cook0891cook0891 Posts: 2,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank. wrote: »
    I didn't see any of Sky's live coverage last night, but I assume that I would have thought of Andy Gray and Martin Tyler as very anti-Liverpool from about 56 minutes onwards ;)

Tyler didn't cover the game with Gray, was Parry ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    cook0891 wrote: »
    Tyler didn't cover the game with Gray, was Parry ;)

Darn it :p
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen MOTD, did they show Arsenal v Chelsea goals? You would of thought they would of shown brief highlights with commentary
    Mark. wrote: »
    They did, right at the very start. But it was done "artistically", with the goals commentated as-live, but from a multitude of different camera angles.
    Li4m wrote: »
    Ah, sorry. I turned it on right at the start of the Wigan v Arsenal game and assumed I'd missed nothing significant.

Same here - I was watching Phil Taylor v Peter Wright in the darts so only turned MOTD on at around 11pm (I felt quite smug when I found out the only edit I'd missed was the one Steve Wilson had commentated on).

I take it that Jonathan Pearce did the as-live commentary seeing as he was there for the Beeb to do the interviews. Am I right Mark?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same here - I was watching Phil Taylor v Peter Wright in the darts so only turned on at 11pm (I felt quite smug when I found out the only edit I'd missed was the one Steve Wilson had commentated on).

I take it that Jonathan Pearce did the as-live commentary seeing as he was there for the Beeb to do the interviews. Am I right Mark?
    You're right!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, and just to add I hope all readers of and contributors to the Football Commentators (and Sports Commentators) thread(s) have a fantastic New Year. I hope 2011 brings you everything you seek.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So nobody heard Gary refer to "a major power failure" at the start of MOTD and express his hope that they'd be able to show all of the goals but couldn't promise anything? I dunno if that was why Liverpool vs Wolves had such a short edit but having watched the whole of that game, if anything I reckon it was too long. Anyway, if he'd not said it I doubt anyone would have noticed.

I didn't watch MOTD, but had the BBC Sport live text updates open during last night, and the guy on there said they'd had a major power failure at Television Centre, and all the monitors showing the games had gone off.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, and just to add I hope all readers of and contributors to the Football Commentators (and Sports Commentators) thread(s) have a fantastic New Year. I hope 2011 brings you everything you seek.

Happy New Year to everyone on the thread and especially to my two favourite posters The Difference (hopefully lots of Bundesliga commentator chat in 2011) and wal28 who watches more football games than we have rainy days in Norn Iron!
  • Options
    jamiec21jamiec21 Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    So nobody heard Gary refer to "a major power failure" at the start of MOTD and express his hope that they'd be able to show all of the goals but couldn't promise anything? I dunno if that was why Liverpool vs Wolves had such a short edit but having watched the whole of that game, if anything I reckon it was too long. Anyway, if he'd not said it I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Wolves fans were annoyed at the lack of highlights and emailed the BBC to complain. MOTD Programme Editor Paul Armstrong passed the following statement to the club:

"As Gary Lineker explained at the start of Match of the Day on Wednesday, we had severe technical problems with a power cut at BBC Television Centre meaning that we lost pictures, and all our match recordings, for most of the second half of Wednesday's matches. We were very close to having to cancel the show altogether and made it clear on the air that it was difficult to provide viewers with our usual service, but that we were doing our best.

The Wigan and Chelsea games were BBC Outside Broadcasts so we were able to record the coverage and commentary in our vans at the game and edit most of the major incidents together once power was restored. Liverpool v Wolves was a Sky live game so while they very kindly sent the key incidents to us again once their broadcast was finished and our power was restored, we were unable to reflect the finer details of the second half. We also had no commentary recorded from the second half either, so Steve Wilson had to recreate his commentary on Stephen Ward's goal, hence the slightly strange sound quality you may have noticed. Power was restored in time to record the post-match interviews, so we ran a lengthy excerpt of Mick McCarthy's interview and paid tribute to a fantastic Wolves win in the studio.

That said, we would certainly have run more of the game in normal circumstances. The technical problems were exacerbated by the fact it was a Wednesday night rather than a weekend afternoon game, so we had less than a hour from the final whistle until transmission to try to retrieve the bare bones of the story However, we'd like to apologise to any Wolves fans who were disappointed by MOTD on the night, and to assure them that the shortness of the edit was for technical, rather than editorial, reasons.

Best wishes
    Paul Armstrong
    Programme Editor, BBC Match of the Day."
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are at The Hawthorns.

Tyler's call on the equaliser was easily the best call I've heard this decade.
  • Options
    coventrywooocoventrywooo Posts: 3,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Martin Tyler and Andy Gray are at The Hawthorns.

Ian Darke on ESPN2 i dont know who with
    Steve McManaman pitchside today

John Motson on West Ham vs Wolves for MOTD later
  • Options
    The Great 208The Great 208 Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

John Rawlings and Craig Burley on PLTV which I presume is the international feed
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Reg Gutteridge, Richie Benaud, Murray Walker, Bill McLaren, John Barrett, Ron Pickering.

That's a start at least.

Peter Jones, Ron Jones and Bryon Butler - peerless voices from my childhood spent listening to Radio 2 on rainy Saturday afternoons :)
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happy New Year all,

Strong outing for Tyler and Gray today, good bit banter to open up 2011!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Peter Jones, Ron Jones and Bryon Butler - peerless voices from my childhood spent listening to Radio 2 on rainy Saturday afternoons :)

Fantastic selection,Bryon Butler often gets missed out in these debates in favour of Peter Jones good to see someone
    appreciate Ron as well,what you also had with that selection was differentiation between all.

They all sounded different and had their own characteristics
    in voice and style unlike today with the scream until you like it
    mentality.

Do you think they would have acquired the status they did had they been around competing in todays market?
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some international feed commentators:

Liverpool v Bolton - Gary Weaver and Barry Horne
    Man City v Blackpool - Tony Jones and Dean Sturridge
    Sunderland v Blackburn - Kevin Keatings and Andy Walker
    Spurs v Fulham - Gary Taphouse and Tony Gale
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic selection,Bryon Butler often gets missed out in these debates in favour of Peter Jones good to see someone
    appreciate Ron as well,what you also had with that selection was differentiation between all.

They all sounded different and had their own characteristics
    in voice and style unlike today with the scream until you like it
    mentality.

Do you think they would have acquired the status they did had they been around competing in todays market?

Thank you for your comments - even the names take me back - give me goosebumps :o. it's difficult to judge now because the radio football commentary market has changed so much. There is now so much football on TV that more and more commentators who would have remained on radio are more likely to switch to TV sooner rather than remain on radio. There is also a lot more football on radio than there used to be which means that there is more demand for radio commentators too.

However - much as I loved the old days football on radio is far better now than it was then - I can still remember the pain of tuning in to see if a midweek first division game was being covered on Radio 2 only to hear the starting music of Listen to the Band instead of Sport on 2 :( Unthinkable nowadays :)
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »

Are you one of those pedants a year late in claiming we are in a new decade?
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    Are you one of those pedants a year late in claiming we are in a new decade?

Er, we are in a new decade.

Oh, and the missing world feed commentator is Joe Speight at West Ham v Wolves.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,544
    Forum Member

Stewart Robson was the co-comm.
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Er, we are in a new decade.

Oh, and the missing world feed commentator is Joe Speight at West Ham v Wolves.

Welcome to the teen(ie)s then.

On a different point, how old/new is that Samir Nasri chant for Arsenal? I appear to have heard it somewhere else this week...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Akilduff wrote: »
    On a different point, how old/new is that Samir Nasri chant for Arsenal? I appear to have heard it somewhere else this week...

You commented on Sky's darts coverage on the Sports Commentators thread a few days ago, so I'm guessing you heard a variant of this chant during Vincent Van Der Voort's matches at the World Darts Championship. The fans chant this to VVDV's name every time he plays, so much so that he has adopted the record it was based on as his walk-on music.

It's based on the chorus of Give It Up by KC and the Sunshine Band. It has been used for quite a few football players including Rafael Van Der Vaart and Sylvan Ebanks-Blake so it isn't all that new. One of the better recent sporting chants, I like it! :)
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    We were singing it with the words "Robbie Blake, Robbie Blake, Robbie Robbie Blake" (and Danny Ward) at a preseason match this summer, and Leeds United fans had it to "Going up, going up, Leeds are going up" in their promotion season last campaign. So not a completely new idea!
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We were singing it about Nicky Butt 10 years ago. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday 1st January - BBC One

Match of the Day

Gary Lineker presented alongside Alan Shearer and Mark Lawrenson

Liverpool v Bolton Wanderers - Alistair Mann
    West Bromwich Albion v Manchester United - Guy Mowbray
    Manchester City v Blackpool - Simon Brotherton
    Birmingham City v Arsenal - Jonathan Pearce
    West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers - John Motson, with Jacqui Oatley interviewing
    Sunderland v Blackburn Rovers - Martin Fisher
    Stoke City v Everton - Steve Bower
    Tottenham Hotspur v Fulham - Steve Wilson

The Football League Show

Manish Bhasin presented alongside Leroy Rosenior, with Lizzie Greenwood-Hughes doing the e-mails

Leeds United v Middlesbrough - Dan O'Hagan
    Preston North End v Derby County - Mark Clemmit (reporting)
    Watford v Portsmouth - John Roder

Championship round-ups - Ian Payne and Jacqui Oatley
    League One and Two round-ups - Dave Beckett (yay!), Paul Walker (boo!) and Nick Halling (puns!)

Well, it is the panto season. :p But in all seriousness, it's good to hear Messers Beckett and Halling are back on the show.
This discussion has been closed.