Options

Do you drink too much?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so boring, the site suggests that the levels I drink may actually be healthy for my heart.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,173
    Forum Member
    I only took it for fun, I knew I'd be in the bottom 10% of all users because I haven't had a drink in ages. It was nice to be told though :D

Me too, I scored a measly 2! :D
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It isn't crazy, it's too much. One or two drinks every night isn't a good sign to start with, never mind nights out etc. you do sound quite alcohol dependant.

I disagree. It's actually quite easy to clock up this amount. At times I've drunk the same. And I did it because I like it - not because I'm dependent. I found stopping was no problem whatsoever - and when I fancy a drink again I'll have one.

Many people drink more than the recommended amount without being in any way dependent - it can just be a habit you slip into without thinking about it too much.
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. It's actually quite easy to clock up this amount. At times I've drunk the same. And I did it because I like it - not because I'm dependent. I found stopping was no problem whatsoever - and when I fancy a drink again I'll have one.

Many people drink more than the recommended amount without being in any way dependent - it can just be a habit you slip into without thinking about it too much.

A habit is a form of dependancy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A habit is a form of dependancy

No there are differences

A Habit
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Tends to be repeated frequently and has become nearly automatic.
    * Has developed by repetition (practice) or exposure, usually through conscious choice.
    * Shows itself in regularity.
    * Reveals an increase in facility and accuracy of performance over time.
    * Allows an easy, conscious choice.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are beneficial and positive to the self and/or others (they outweigh the negatives) and typically are in balance.

An Addiction
    A behavior pattern that:
    * Has run away with itself or been taken hostage.
    * Developed through physiologic exposure to a substance or initiation to something that provides a reward plus incentives that may be in the form of stored conscious memories or cues that are reminders of that reward.
    * Shows itself in escalating frequency.
    * Reveals a decrease in facility and accuracy of performance over time.
    * Exhibits a diminishment of easy, conscious choice.
    * Results in long-term outcomes that are negative to the self and/or others (they outweigh the positives) and typically are out of balance.
  • Options
    Christian_GreyChristian_Grey Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And a habit is repeated because someone needs to do it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And a habit is repeated because someone needs to do it

Not necessarily. It is behaviour that becomes habitual through willing repetition to the point where it doesn't really involve conscious thought. Biting your nails is a good example - you don't 'need' to do it - you just do it without thinking. It has no particularly detrimental effect on your life and if you really wanted to you could stop but there may be insufficient motivation to do so.

I'm not arguing that people don't have both physical and psychological dependency on alcohol, clearly some people do - just that it isn't the case for everyone and over-use (from a health point of view) can result in habituation without any physical or psychological need being present.

Having a pay-off or a reward for behaviour is not the same as being psychologically dependent.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,308
    Forum Member
    It isn't crazy, it's too much. One or two drinks every night isn't a good sign to start with, never mind nights out etc. you do sound quite alcohol dependant.

I agree.

If you're going to do it, do it properly!!
  • Options
    debutantedebutante Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had about 7 drinks in 5 months. The last one was New Year, the others were with pub food. I made myself a rule that I wouldn't sit and drink in the house on my own, it was starting to feel a bit tragic! So because I'm single, I'm alone every night, and I rarely go out, so I don't really drink these days! I can't say I miss it too much either...
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only have a few glasses of wine per week (if that!)

So I have very low consumption, I do however have a 10 week old baby so my consumption reflacts that.

There is nowt worse than having a demanding little person to look after when hungover, it's hard enough some days without the hangover :eek: