Options

First episode of Doctor Who?

Comments

• Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a bit hazy as to the actual episode as I think the BBC regularly repeated a lot of the Tom Baker stories in the 1970's .

The earliest episode chronically that stands out was the giant rat in talons but I also remember Romana 1 vaguely in Power of Kroll and Romana 2 definitely in Destiny of the daleks very well so my first episode proper without the repeats is probably Power of Kroll.....8 years old and thought it was a brilliant adventure
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    As a three year-old at 66 Bagshot Green, my gran's house, it was 'An Unearthly Child' which my mum chose for me to watch as she'd read about it during the week. Anything to keep her precocious three year-old occupied... I thought the story was OK, but then she told me I had to keep watching because there were some scarey aliens coming up. So although I do remember the junk yard and the school scenes on my gran's little television, I remember the Barbara v the sink plunger scene much more from 'The Daleks'.
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where Paul McGann regenerates into John Hurt. That was good.
  • Options
    cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    My earliest memory is Fury From the Deep .
    I also recall the ending to an episode of one of the Yeti stories where they are trapped in the sewers but I don't think the episode still exists. It was that ending that got me hooked on Who for 10 years.

I'm still struggling through Eccleston to get back into it but its hard going
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Carnival of Monsters was my first, though I've seen a few from before that since.
  • Options
    TheCatsMeaowTheCatsMeaow Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    My first episode was a late night repeat of School Reunion on tv3 in 2007. I didn't start watching properly until The Eleventh Hour when I thought: New Doctor, new start, let's see what all the fuss is about. :p
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    gareth0151 wrote: »
    My first memory ... Jon Pertwee falling out of the Tardis in Spearhead from Space ... and of course the Autons coming to life in the shop windows ...

Same here. Nice to see it HD now.

I do have some very vague memories of Yeti though.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,215
    Forum Member
    TRT1968 wrote: »
    Green Death for me.

The miner who glows green near the start was bloody terrifying!
  • Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An Unearthly Child for me too. I remember it very clearly but some of the following episodes/stories are a bit hazy. Then again for years if your parents didn't let you watch it, or you missed something because someone said anything that was it, it was gone. Unfortunately a lot of it still is:cry:
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    The miner who glows green near the start was bloody terrifying!

I think it was the giant maggots crawling all over the hillside that freaked me out. Thousands of 'em!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Love and Monsters.

Ironically, it got me hooked on the show. In hindsight it's probably one of the poorer episodes but as I was a first time watcher I didn't compare it to previous episodes, meaning I enjoyed it more than most.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,113
    Forum Member
    Genesis of the Daleks

I found it quite grim, still do, but also brilliant.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earliest memories will be the Pertwee era the Giant Maggots in The Green Death, The Queen Spider in Planet Of The Spiders, Bessie and especially Mike Yates turning rouge which would have been my first encounter of the 'good guy turning bad' scenario, shocking stuff for a then 5 year old.

Apart from the Pertwee/Baker regeneration a random scene in City Of Death, a Sontaran taking his helmet of in The Sontaran Experiment and the characters of Leela and K9 in general, I have very few recollections of the Tom Baker era even though I watched them all. It was just TV too me I was never an avid soak it all in fan.

BIB: We had a colour TV back then, but I don't recall that scene... (Only joking)

Although my mother tells me I saw some of Hartnell and was terrified of the Daleks, my earliest clear memory is of Pat Troughton, although to be honest, I couldn't pinpoint exactly which story. Maybe because my sister was older than me and already watched, it was just a case of it always having been on all my life.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one where Paul McGann regenerates into John Hurt. That was good.

Part of me hopes that that's the opening of the 50th special....
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Horror Of Fang Rock
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,900
    Forum Member
    I have a vague memory of watching the end of Brain of Morbius on a little B&W portable with my sister in her room all dressed up as we were waiting to go across the road to get some portrait photos done by the photographer who lived opposite.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Though I believe I've seen all the Pertwee stories at some point, Planet Of The Spiders and Robot, so the third/fourth Doctor regeneration, is about the earliest I remember seeing on it's original showing.
  • Options
    cornishpasty1cornishpasty1 Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    Carnival of Monsters was my first, though I've seen a few from before that since.

That was the first story I recorded on video when the BBC used it as the Pertwee story in The 5 Faces of Dr Who repeat run in 1982/83.
    I didn't even bother to record the other stories :eek: but tapes were £10 a time back then

Lost interest in the show in 1977 so didn't even bother recording the ongoing series at the time
  • Options
    DiligentDanDiligentDan Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Vague memories from mid-to-late Pertwee era, for me. The Sea Devils (though possibly the omnibus version), "I am the computer" from Green Death, "there are five of them and only four of us" (or something like that) from Death tt Daleks...
    Me and my brothers and sisters plus assorted friends used to play out certain scenes from Who...we once all sat in a circle going "Om-bally-bally-hum!" half-hoping we could make a giant spider appear on the floor! A more realistic effect was produced by my brother playing the Wirrn from Ark in Space. I was The Doctor, I opened the living room door and he came crashing down on me with great enthusiasm, as per the cliffhanger of ep.1. Ouch. I got my own back on him when he played The Doctor: the staircase served very nicely as the bottomless hole from Planet of Evil.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first story I fully recall would have been Logopolis, but I remember some details from earlier episodes that season, Romana and K9 leaving, and Adric and Nyssa arriving

However a quick look on wikipedia at the episode of that era one form the previous series, "The Horns of Nimon" is also very familiar, but that is the only episode of that series I recall.
  • Options
    alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I may have seen parts of series 15, the first story I remember anything about is The Pirate Planet, broadcast in Sept-Oct 1978. I'd just turned 5.
    The next one I can place clearly is a Dalek story, so presumably Sept '79s Destiny followed by The Horns of Nimon. Everything from then on out I remember quite clearly.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    An Uneartly Child in 1963, was 7 at the time and if memory serves me right The Telegoons were always on before in those days.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was the first story I recorded on video when the BBC used it as the Pertwee story in The 5 Faces of Dr Who repeat run in 1982/83.
    I didn't even bother to record the other stories :eek: but tapes were £10 a time back then

Lost interest in the show in 1977 so didn't even bother recording the ongoing series at the time

I did that too, and The Krotons and I still have it too although I cant play it (no vcr) but Blank VHS tapes were more expensive that a tenner, I seem to recall that they were about £30 a pop!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool:guiltty hm no but glee is more likely tto be
    my ffirst at 6 was the pertwee one where the goldd faced baddie was doing something really odd ax
  • Options
    mrhahawiffymrhahawiffy Posts: 1,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Earliest memories are the dinosaurs (Invasion of Dinosaurs) and the spiders (Planet of the Spiders) but I don't really remember any details of the stories from their original broadcast as I was only 3! I also remember bits of The Ark in Space but it was season 13 before I remember bits of every story ( when I was 5). I would say I started understanding the real gist of the stories from around Hand of Fear onwards.