Options

Hollyoaks - Maxine Blake to have sex with... Patrick Blake!!!

Comments

• Options
    spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Also where hollyoaks are going with Patrick which I'm not sure they know. When he was talking to nico about wanting to do things different and be better, I did think he was genuine but we know that once he finds out she isn't pregnant then he'll revert back evil Patrick again. At the moment it just seems like hollyoaks are to just dragging the storyline out. Its like they still want him to be seen as a good guy when everyone knows what he's done so that can't happen. Either give his comeuppance and some kind of redemption.

I don't think they know what they are doing either unless they are softening him up for the gloved killer.
    Patrick does wicked things but he knows they are bad and hates himself for it. Pride or something stops him from seeking help which I think he secretly would like. He is ashamed of "losing face" or admitting those things that have happened to him in the distant past which he feels would make him look weak.

Personal Patrick is a car crash but professional Patrick is pretty decent. If he was truly panto they'd make him bad in every facet whereas he is at least a character that has a few sparks of light against the shade.

I appreciate that abused partners like Maxine do repeatedly return to their abuser but they've already (over) played that card and in a drama things need a conclusion. The only interesting things they could do there is have a dramatic shift in power where for whatever reason Maxine gains control or the alternative (that I think is a bit late in the day for) is for Patrick to get to grips with his own issues.
  • Options
    Rick GrimesRick Grimes Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Why are you blaming a domestic abuse victim for enabling? Do we suddenly live in a world where emotional manipulation doesn't exist and abuse victims have complete control?

She left him after being brave enough to do so and left to live with Mitzeee Minniver and then came back for a man aka Mark "Dodger" Savage not to mention the lame excuse of Minnie Minniver needing to stay in the UK for heart problems. Her sister or even the Costellos would help her out I'm sure.
  • Options
    WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She left him after being brave enough to do so and left to live with Mitzeee Minniver and then came back for a man aka Mark "Dodger" Savage not to mention the lame excuse of Minnie Minniver needing to stay in the UK for heart problems. Her sister or even the Costellos would help her out I'm sure.

Fair enough, but being brave to leave once doesn't suddenly make a domestic abuse victim immune to manipulation.
  • Options
    laurengirllaurengirl Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she gets another cake in the face for this !
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you blaming a domestic abuse victim for enabling? Do we suddenly live in a world where emotional manipulation doesn't exist and abuse victims have complete control?

Its not manipulation though, its just being stupid, Theres a BIG difference
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not manipulation though, its just being stupid

How is it not manipulation? From what I've seen of Patrick, he's always manipulating someone. Just the other day I saw an episode where he was being his usual self to his granddaughter and when Jack approached, he suddenly turned into Mr Nice Guy. He's always manipulating people, whether he's being nice one minute and nasty the next or telling Maxine that he just wants what's best for his daughter. He doesn't seem to know how to stick to one personality and if Maxine has already fallen victim to his manipulations in the past, she call fall again. Blaming her is just insulting. Domestic violence isn't a straight forward issue that just disappears once the victim knows they are being abused. Patrick clearly still has a hold on Maxine. She doesn't seem to know where she is with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How is it not manipulation? From what I've seen of Patrick, he's always manipulating someone. Just the other day I saw an episode where he was being his usual self to his granddaughter and when Jack approached, he suddenly turned into Mr Nice Guy. He's always manipulating people, whether he's being nice one minute and nasty the next or telling Maxine that he just wants what's best for his daughter. He doesn't seem to know how to stick to one personality and if Maxine has already fallen victim to his manipulations in the past, she call fall again. Blaming her is just insulting. Domestic violence isn't a straight forward issue that just disappears once the victim knows they are being abused. Patrick clearly still has a hold on Maxine. She doesn't seem to know where she is with him.

No you can't blame her. I suppose it is a bit like alcoholism in that the danger is the sufferer feels strong enough to cope (be it with alcohol or their abuser) but when they take a little sip as it were they are in peril again. Whilst the story isn't a bad reflection on the reality of such a situation it has really over run it's course from a drama point of view, this is a story not a documentary. Frankly the message could have been put over ages ago and unless there is a very dramatic twist I can't really see the point in it.
  • Options
    srhgtssrhgts Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member

She left Patrick ages ago, she's not under his control anymore and has asserted her independence yet continues to facilitate him ruining her life when she could very easily help herself.
    Irrespective of the real life implications the dismal writing and endless repetition make the whole thing very annoying to watch. Not to mention the however many times Patrick has abducted Maxine and his panto villain nonsense. It's probably not worth taking anything in the programme too seriously, clearly the writers and producer don't. I'm not a victim blamer, Hollyoaks is a very unrealistic programme and I don't respond to it like real life.
  • Options
    Louise_HartLouise_Hart Posts: 3,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »
    She left Patrick ages ago, she's not under his control anymore and has asserted her independence yet continues to facilitate him ruining her life when she could very easily help herself.
    Irrespective of the real life implications the dismal writing and endless repetition make the whole thing very annoying to watch. Not to mention the however many times Patrick has abducted Maxine and his panto villain nonsense. It's probably not worth taking anything in the programme too seriously, clearly the writers and producer don't. I'm not a victim blamer, Hollyoaks is a very unrealistic programme and I don't respond to it like real life.

couldnt agree more, I desperately do want to feel bad for Maxine, but I just don't, and its all down to how bad and idioticly written the sl has been.
  • Options
    craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd prefer to hear he'd had sex with Sienna Blake. At least the character would be moving in a new direction. I find his repetitive and ongoing saga with Maxine to be tiresome and utterly boring.
  • Options
    Lewi26Lewi26 Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry I know it's like a taboo thing to say about a victim of domestic abuse and normally I wouldn't say this but Maxine deserves what happenes to her now. After everything he has done to her and the people around her she is still so stupid to get close to him or trust him and get into situations where he can control her again. There is no excuses for it now he has no control over her! She has lots of people around get she can rely on, everyone knows what Patrick is like and she is believed and she even turns down the many times the police have tried to help her. She's a stupid bitch.

This was such an incredibly written and acted storyline but they have completely ruined it and took out all the sympathy and realism. Why the hell are we supposed to care the next time he hits her? I'll care just as much as I will when grace kidknapps someone again.

Pathetic. Making her sleep with him has completely killed this storyline and to be honest I wouldn't care if either character leaves now
  • Options
    trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member

I think you have a good point and I do think it is very realistic for abuse victims to stay with their abusers for a long time or leave them and keep being pulled in. However, while a soap is a reflection of real life, it also has to work dramatically as well and I think dragging the story out too long makes it lose impact. I do feel sorry for Maxine and any abuse victim and Maxine certainly does not deserve it, but I do not have any investment in the storyline since it has become so repetitive.
  • Options
    Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maxine has repeatedly said she hates Patrick since finally leaving him. Maxine said he made her skin crawl & she's supposed to be repulsed by him. Apart from Patrick beating her, he left her to die after giving birth to Minnie. Made her think Minnie was ill (so she drove when she was not allowed) & ended up arrested. Threatened to take Minnie away from her & now she ends up bedding him!!! :confused: Makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I know women suffer emotional abuse etc from their abusers, but she got away from him, has Darren on her side. Why on earth would she sleep with Patrick. Apart from anything else, I don't see how she could even think of sex when her daughter is critically ill!! I suppose Hollyoaks will try & make out it was a comfort thing but I would have thought he'd be the last person she wanted comfort from... For me it's a stupid twist... & I wish the show just wrapped up this storyline instead of going around in constant circles! I'm actually annoyed with Maxine now & lost sympathy for her when she failed to tell the police Patrick left her for dead. He told people she was dead, so it was her best opportunity to get justice whatever Sienna said. Theresa & I think Celine were the ones who ended up rescuing her & they could see she was very much alive. It was obvious Patrick lied!!
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 51,018
    Forum Member
    I know in reality these cycles of a person returning to an abusive partner, getting sucked back in etc can go on for years in some cases, and in Maxine's case there is also the fact that Minnie will forever be a connection between them. But this is a soap showing a portrayal of an abusive relationship and if it wants to keep its audience interested they can't afford to keep going over the same ground over and over. The comnents on here and in the Hollyoaks Facebook page all run along the same lines, many viewers are fed up of Maxine, Patrick and the storyline because the same thing is being repeated with no real progression or consequence. When it comes to drama you have to have progression and a conclusion. We know it isn't how it happens in reality, but for the sake of audience interest storylines tackling issues have to follow some kind of time scale otherwise viewers are frustrated for the wring reasons. The same goes with all the Sienna stuff. I used to like the Blakes, but I find myself just wishing they'd change their storylines.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    If they had set it up that Maxine still had mixedfeelings about Patrick, that would be fine but they made it clear that she wasn't interested in him any more.
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I hope she snaps and kills him or kills him in self defence. While it's true such relationships can go on for years the storyline should have come to an end by now. It's very frustrating. I've been through domestic violence so I'm not belittling how someone can be manipulated by an abusive partner but as a drama I think the storyline has gone on for too long. There must be a conclusion soon, at least I hope so. I have a horrible feeling that Patrick will kill Maxine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think her killing him could be interesting and would at least move the story forward. It's fine for Patrick and Maxine to keep changing their minds if it pushes the story forward but at the moment it's stuck. It's still complete nonsense that Maxine would live in the same village, considering what she went through.
  • Options
    notlurkingnownotlurkingnow Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of Maxine constantly backing down to Patrick but I can see that he uses the baby as a tool to manipulate the situation. He threatens to get full custody and she runs back to him.

If this had been in Brookside Patrick would have been under the patio long ago, no doubt with 'Dazzle' (where the heck did she get that name from? ) helping to bury him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    srhgts wrote: »

You're not a victim blamer... but you're blaming the victim for going back to her abuser. You're even blaming her for not doing something when he hit her. "If she'd gone to the police when he battered her and she had evidence she wouldn't be having to deal with him now" sounds very much like victim blaming :confused:

She is clearly still somewhat under his control, especially regarding her daughter. It's so easy to claim that because a victim is acting confident and like they are no longer under their abusers control, that it must be true, but it doesn't always work like that. If Maxine is running back to Patrick still, there is still something there that he has over her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I do think that Maxine comes across as a little girl around Patrick so maybe it's some sort of masochistic daddy issue.
  • Options
    lexstarlexstar Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's annoying but is in fact quite true to life, your abuser often has a hold over you for a vey long time and when you are feeling lost and alone, like Max is, it's easy to go back to them, even if they treat you like crap.
  • Options
    Chiltons CaneChiltons Cane Posts: 23,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't blame her, Patrick is a hottie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    I don't think they know what they are doing either unless they are softening him up for the gloved killer.
    Patrick does wicked things but he knows they are bad and hates himself for it. Pride or something stops him from seeking help which I think he secretly would like. He is ashamed of "losing face" or admitting those things that have happened to him in the distant past which he feels would make him look weak.

Personal Patrick is a car crash but professional Patrick is pretty decent. If he was truly panto they'd make him bad in every facet whereas he is at least a character that has a few sparks of light against the shade.

I appreciate that abused partners like Maxine do repeatedly return to their abuser but they've already (over) played that card and in a drama things need a conclusion. The only interesting things they could do there is have a dramatic shift in power where for whatever reason Maxine gains control or the alternative (that I think is a bit late in the day for) is for Patrick to get to grips with his own issues.

Nicely put. I like Patrick because he is a character with layers, a background story and he is played by a decent actor. Patrick is one of the few interesting characters left in Oaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has come over in the last few episodes is Maxine growing in strength. The fact that they slept together and yet Maxine seems to be able to keep perspective and stick to her guns is a good sign. It is almost as if there is a shift or balance in power and this seems to be two fold

a) Maxine is getting stronger
    b) Patrick is softening a bit in general.

This seems to be good character progression, please don't revert.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Patrick has Parkinsons?