Options

Do you believe in God?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm agnostic and I'm not angry I just find people who are blinded by faith quite sinister

My mum still goes to church my only family member who does, that;s her decision and she has a good social circle there, but even she avoids the ones there who are basically a bit fanatical[/

I' work hard at not judging people! Maybe you should do the same! Your comment is nothing more than a shocking generalisation and shows you up to be quite narrow minded!
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    Daisydoes wrote: »
    The defence rests....

You didn't answer my question, do you get annoyed at said cults?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unless it is some quote from the bible what is your defence?

Again I am not being angry

My defence?? Re read your posts because they're my defence. You immediately lashed out, branded "religious people" sinister and described my faith as a cult! If those comments aren't fuelled by anger then I'm reading them wrong....Nope, they seem shrouded in anger to me.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [
    I' work hard at not judging people!

Shame all that hard work isn't paying off :(
  • Options
    Stormwave UKStormwave UK Posts: 5,088
    Forum Member
    My defence?? Re read your posts because they're my defence. You immediately lashed out, branded "religious people" sinister and described my faith as a cult! If those comments aren't fuelled by anger then I'm reading them wrong....Nope, they seem shrouded in anger to me.

She didn't call your religion a cult, I did.

You seem to be the one who is angry here.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Shock!! Another Christian bashing thread...yawn...Atheists are always so angry especially at those with faith

Shock? It took you 5,000+ posts to realise? :kitty:

Actually it's been a pretty good thread for most of us.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I never said the word cult

was brought up Catholic and turned my back on it

Your faith is your choice, my choice to disagree and find the whole thing sinister is not being angry or small minded, I know enough about Christianity to question its values

actually it really doesn't seem to be me who is the angry one
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Only the bully attempts to gain respect by threats. Do you seriously propose this sort of stuff as a reason to worship anything?

It's playground stuff, "my Dad can beat up your Dad".
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Only the bully attempts to gain respect by threats. Do you seriously propose this sort of stuff as a reason to worship anything?

As I posted a few days ago; do you feel it unreasonable for parents to set out rules in the family for the smooth running of the family?
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you state exactly why he would have to be nailed or tied to a couple of pieces of wood and die in agony in the heat? How would that atone for whatever sins all the people who came along afterwards would do be it mass murder or stealing bubblegum from the shop?

If to tell us we HAVE to believe in something, then you should have the decency to explain why

Unless you are are Sister Mary Charles, that mad Scottish nun I was shit scared of in school:o

The crucifixion was the last act of sacrifice. The Hebrew religion requires religious sacrifice of Lamb to atone for Sin. Christ is the Christian sacrificial lamb.

The suffering and shedding of blood, it's awful and horrific but it's not random and has purpose for Christians and all people.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »

Nothing wrong with BIB.

The scriptures from deuteronomy says What would happen if they were disobedient.

62 And ye shall be left few in number, whereas ye were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because thou wouldest not obey the voice of the Lord thy God.

63 And it shall come to pass, that as the Lord rejoiced over you to do you good, and to multiply you; so the Lord will rejoice over you to destroy you, and to bring you to nought; and ye shall be plucked from off the land whither thou goest to possess it.

64 And the Lord shall scatter thee among all people, from the one end of the earth even unto the other; and there thou shalt serve other gods, which neither thou nor thy fathers have known, even wood and stone.

65 And among these nations shalt thou find no ease, neither shall the sole of thy foot have rest: but the Lord shall give thee there a trembling heart, and failing of eyes, and sorrow of mind:

66 And thy life shall hang in doubt before thee; and thou shalt fear day and night, and shalt have none assurance of thy life:

67 In the morning thou shalt say, Would God it were even! and at even thou shalt say, Would God it were morning! for the fear of thine heart wherewith thou shalt fear, and for the sight of thine eyes which thou shalt see.

68 And the Lord shall bring thee into Egypt again with ships, by the way whereof I spake unto thee, Thou shalt see it no more again: and there ye shall be sold unto your enemies for bondmen and bondwomen, and no man shall buy you.
    [/QUOTE]

To be honest I wouldn't feel safe going for a country walk on my own with a person who believed that to be true .
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any God who requires His own son Himself to be crucified to cleanse the 'sins' of the life-forms He created in the first place is quite frankly certifiably insane.
  • Options
    Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    The crucifixion was the last act of sacrifice. The Hebrew religion requires religious sacrifice of Lamb to atone for Sin. Christ is the Christian sacrificial lamb.

The suffering and shedding of blood, it's awful and horrific but it's not random and has purpose for Christians and all people.

You provided a response to my question without having a rant and I respect that

However I do not condone violence in any way especially being veiled in the name of sacrifice be it Jesus Hoobastank Christ or a little fluffy lamb

If you want to believe in God that is fine, it is your choice, but why should bloodshed and suffering be made akin to religion? Hasn't enough misery and agony been caused amongst the world over the centuries because someone said this or that in the name of the God they followed?

To be honest, if I was God, I'd abolish religion
  • Options
    The FinisherThe Finisher Posts: 10,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

However I do not condone violence in any way especially being veiled in the name of sacrifice be it Jesus Hoobastank Christ or a little fluffy lamb

If you want to believe in God that is fine, it is your choice, but why should bloodshed and suffering be made akin to religion? Hasn't enough misery and agony been caused amongst the world over the centuries because someone said this or that in the name of the God they followed?

:D...
  • Options
    Dave5158Dave5158 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strictly speaking, everybody who has responded, in this thread, is an atheist. Only some of us go a god further than the believers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame that 90& of the world's population are insane by any standard other than that held to apart from religion.

I have too say that God is having his arse kicked all over the shop by Satan judging from the history of the last ten-thousand years or so.
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave5158 wrote: »
    Strictly speaking, everybody who has responded, in this thread, is an atheist. Only some of us go a god further than the believers.

I posted a quote earlier in this thread which said something very similar. Here it is again...
    I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours
    by Stephen Roberts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not sure why I'd have felt the need to have a rant, but thanks :)

With the suffering question I just take it for what it is, because whether or not God exists suffering does exist.

Anyway that's all I have for tonight cos it's late and I'm tired.. But just one question... Who or what is Hoobastank? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a real shame that 90& of the world's population are insane by any standard other than that held to apart from religion.

I have too say that God is having his arse kicked all over the shop by Satan judging from the history of the last ten-thousand years or so.

So are you saying you would have people like me sectioned!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [QUOTE=belly button;71599935[/QUOTE]

To be honest I wouldn't feel safe going for a country walk on my own with a person who believed that to be true .[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't you? You best stay indoors then.
  • Options
    belly buttonbelly button Posts: 17,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »

Wouldn't you? You best stay indoors then.

Well I might print it off and ask them to read it and say whether they agree with it or not before we set off ;-)
  • Options
    archiverarchiver Posts: 13,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EXTERMINAYTE!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course not but my point is that religion is held to a different standard of evidence than anything else in society. :)

Saying that you worship Allah or Yahweh and that is something to be admired. But say that you worship the invisible fairies living at the bottom of your garden and you would be regarded as very odd to say the least.

The empirical evidence for both? Absolute zero.

But which gets the most respect?
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave5158 wrote: »

We could try harder to think up our own comedy material.
This discussion has been closed.