Options

Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    I don't bother trying to compare and contrast with the radio series , its much easier to just watch the TV series on its own merits, which are considerable as it happens.

Yes completely different animals.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a big fan of the show, but that Frankenstein/Frankenstein's Monster gag really made me laugh for some reason!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of the show, but that Frankenstein/Frankenstein's Monster gag really made me laugh for some reason!
    The initial one?

I thought the one later on when he was angry/frurstrated and used the incorrect term himself was better.
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed it. This episode really put me in mind of the IT Crowd a lot more than others. I really liked the whole set up with the bell and Arthur being a boxer leading to the big gag at the end, just because I genuinely didn't see it coming; a rarity with set-up gags.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've enjoyed this series: I think they've managed to get the bolted-on pathos under control this time around. It's good that they tried to do something different with the TV version: when People Like Us and Radioactive (as KYTV) transferred, the scripts were pretty much just recycled.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the first series was okay, but the second series has been better.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have they killed the incipient romance between Michael and Sinem stone dead?

I thought it provided a lot of potential for little comedic moments, especially when Bulent was involved.
  • Options
    dsimillerdsimiller Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The way they both hesitantly walked to the planes,each not knowing the other didn't know either was hilarious.It takes a lot for me to laugh out loud at TV comedy,but that scene was brilliant.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »

I thought it provided a lot of potential for little comedic moments, especially when Bulent was involved.

The romance just didn't work. I think Series 2 is a big improvement; though I still find Arthur annoying, the comedy is better written. Thought the clocks going back was good and this week's was all right as well. Works a lot better without the Michael writing a book about his dad thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vetinari wrote: »

The tension was there when he turned up at the caff in ep1 but she had a new guy. He's not been seen since has he?

I guess it's open to them getting together at the end of the series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    The romance just didn't work. I think Series 2 is a big improvement; though I still find Arthur annoying, the comedy is better written. Thought the clocks going back was good and this week's was all right as well. Works a lot better without the Michael writing a book about his dad thread.

Well I was in the audience for episode 6 (the penultimate episode) and without giving any spoilers it focuses on Micheal and Sinem and the episode is called 'The affair'
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dsimiller wrote: »
    The way they both hesitantly walked to the planes,each not knowing the other didn't know either was hilarious.It takes a lot for me to laugh out loud at TV comedy,but that scene was brilliant.

Me too. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much. So simple, so brilliant :)
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    Me too. I can't remember the last time I laughed so much. So simple, so brilliant :)

It reminded me a lot of the sketch Julie Walters did when she dressed as the elderly waitress bringing 2 big bowls of soup to the table. The plates were empty by the time she got to the table. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode, in my opinion the best of the series so far. My favourite bit had to be Micheal's 'rude' joke.:D

If I had to nit pick I'd say this series lacks the overall story arch that made the whole first series really come to life for me. As much as I love the silliness, it was the tenderness and continuity of the first series I liked the most, especially the last couple of episodes.

Anyway, I'm really mad at the BBC for putting it in such a ridiculous slot. 10:45 on a Tuesday night is just plain terrible scheduling. I seriously hope they aren't looking for a reason to axe this brilliant show! I really do.;-)
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finally found the episode on sky catch up . They wrongly titled ep4 "were listening"
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eye3 wrote: »
    Finally found the episode on sky catch up . They wrongly titled ep4 "were listening"
    the episode title is We're listening - Michael would be angry with iplayer about the missing apostrophe ;):D
  • Options
    sbeck201sbeck201 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    Another great episode, in my opinion the best of the series so far.
    I agree, there were more laugh-out-loud moments than any of the previous episodes.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they made a mistake with the casting of the cowboy builder. For a minute or two of the scene of him in bed I thought he was Michael
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hitting its stride now, great episode.

Loved the Misery spoof, did Arthur know he was the guy who scammed Eggy ?
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the bit where he took a 'selfie' with the phone and then started wafting the phone and blowing on it (as people used to do with instant photos) :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I loved the bit where he took a 'selfie' with the phone and then started wafting the phone and blowing on it (as people used to do with instant photos) :D

I liked that bit too and all the photos of him just happening to look in the direction the con man was.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw the first few minutes of this, the joke seemed to be the mix up of Venus and penis, so I switched over.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I saw the first few minutes of this, the joke seemed to be the mix up of Venus and penis, so I switched over.>:(

It's a shame you didn't continue watching as it was a great episode. Graham Linehan himself has said people seem to judge Count Arthur Strong immediately as some garish cheap sitcom but it's not like that at all. I think the fact that Rory Kinnear co-stars is testimony to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought it was the best episode so far but still some of the jokes/situations are very well telegraphed, which is a shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    JazzyJaney wrote: »

Anyway, I'm really mad at the BBC for putting it in such a ridiculous slot. 10:45 on a Tuesday night is just plain terrible scheduling. I seriously hope they aren't looking for a reason to axe this brilliant show! I really do.;-)

Steve Delaney on his Twitter feed said the timing is due to scheduling issues and that if they get a third series it will be on earlier.