Options

Real Radio's transition to Heart

Comments

• Options
    nobjockeynobjockey Posts: 1,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GEM 106 recently had broke the 106 listening figures

From what I can see, they're actually commercial market leader in their patch now so whatever they are doing is working and building on Heart's previous success, they've sensibly kept it similar to Heart.
    whilst yes in theory!!! that is great that capital are performing well however!!,gem 106 is of no finacial interest to global and there's always an open chance that orion may decide to rebrand them as free radio,global no longer market orion media so it would be of no hardship if heart went head to head with GEM 106 which as a station is utter rubbish!!!!!! and as no resemblance to heart,most people in the east midlands would rather have the real thing

Global have more chance of "going head to head" with their existing station which is a similar size than halving their audience into two smaller stations, especially when one market is already being served well in the TSA. Not sure what you think is utter rubbish about GEM 106? It's always sounded pretty polished when I've listened, musically they seem to be pretty much identical to Heart and their breakfast show is the same as it was under the Heart brand, by all accounts it's Orion's only real success story so far.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, some people on Facebook don't seem to know that though.

Real Radio do too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would think JK and Lucy will do saturday breakfast

As its across the network they will continue until such time, They do London Drivetime and cover Breakfast too sometimes.

You can all get used to them across the other networks from May
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    With respect I wonder where David Heane will end up?

Hospital Radio I expect, either that or he could try community station WHCR over in Hull, they're a bit short of presenters he could join them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Gavin_D wrote: »
    Here is a breakdown of the changes which will be happening

North Wales - No change

Breakfast: Spence McDonald and Fiona Sadler
    Drive: Oli Kemp

The only thing they haven't announced today is who will take on Saturday breakfast

fiona sadler is new to breakfast oli kemp is new to heart north wales .all the heart output except 6-10 and 4-7 mon - fri 1-5 sat 12-4 is networked from leicester sq
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hospital Radio I expect, either that or he could try community station WHCR over in Hull, they're a bit short of presenters he could join them.

I wonder if he'll join Smooth Radio?
  • Options
    martino2539martino2539 Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    Also Capital Cymru on 103fm has announced the new line up on its website (heart.co.uk then select Anglesey & Gwynedd)

Breakfast will be Alister ( dj that currently on 103 drive)

Drive from 1pm lol will be Kev Bach (Current heart 103 brekkie)

that's a 6 hour drive slot if you listen to the website???

And all coming from Mold road Wrexham studios, Same as Heart 103 at present set up
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    nobjockey wrote: »
    From what I can see, they're actually commercial market leader in their patch now so whatever they are doing is working and building on Heart's previous success, they've sensibly kept it similar to Heart.

Global have more chance of "going head to head" with their existing station which is a similar size than halving their audience into two smaller stations, especially when one market is already being served well in the TSA. Not sure what you think is utter rubbish about GEM 106? It's always sounded pretty polished when I've listened, musically they seem to be pretty much identical to Heart and their breakfast show is the same as it was under the Heart brand, by all accounts it's Orion's only real success story so far.

Sorry but No!!! Gem is a FAKE!!! version of Heart ,why would you buy a imitation version of you're fav breakfast cereal if you could go to another store and get the real thing for the same price ,my point is why should people east midlands settle for a copied version of heart using a different name,different presenters,different format,when Global as a perfectly strong enough signal on 105.4 to carry heart across the east midlands with a open gap in the market to support it after all it wouldn't be the first time there's been multi Hot a/c stations within the same area i.e 1998-2008 booth GWR stations (Trent fm,Ram fm and leicester sound) was Hot ac just as Century was ,it was only when Global acquired GCAP the HMN became CHR stations ,ok yes in most parts of the east mids you can pick up heart 100.7 from Birmingham but it doesn't cover local news and travel for the east midlands ,there's defiantly a welcomed market for a return of heart fm in the east midlands
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also Capital Cymru on 103fm has announced the new line up on its website (heart.co.uk then select Anglesey & Gwynedd)

Breakfast will be Alister ( dj that currently on 103 drive)

Drive from 1pm lol will be Kev Bach (Current heart 103 brekkie)

that's a 6 hour drive slot if you listen to the website???

And all coming from Mold road Wrexham studios, Same as Heart 103 at present set up

I think they'll do an hour of non stop music at 1pm then drive from 2pm, as they do now.

http://www.heart.co.uk/cymru/on-air/capital-is-coming/ (no Welsh translation?!)
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ignore
  • Options
    Eagle MountainEagle Mountain Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    It does, at the moment but that will without any doubt finish at 4pm on Friday 2nd May. As I've said on a previous page I am expecting to see Monday 5th May a full automation day whereby the remaining staff are retrained into using the new playout system and in Yorkshire a transfer to the Jacob's Well studio.

Has it been confirmed that Heart Yorkshire are moving to Joseph's Well? Any chance that Capital might move out to Tingley instead?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has it been confirmed that Heart Yorkshire are moving to Joseph's Well? Any chance that Capital might move out to Tingley instead?

Yes it has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but No!!! Gem is a FAKE!!! version of Heart ,why would you buy a imitation version of you're fav breakfast cereal if you could go to another store and get the real thing for the same price ,my point is why should people east midlands settle for a copied version of heart using a different name,different presenters,different format,when Global as a perfectly strong enough signal on 105.4 to carry heart across the east midlands with a open gap in the market to support it after all it wouldn't be the first time there's been multi Hot a/c stations within the same area i.e 1998-2008 booth GWR stations (Trent fm,Ram fm and leicester sound) was Hot ac just as Century was ,it was only when Global acquired GCAP the HMN became CHR stations ,ok yes in most parts of the east mids you can pick up heart 100.7 from Birmingham but it doesn't cover local news and travel for the east midlands ,there's defiantly a welcomed market for a return of heart fm in the east midlands

RAJARs prove the audience there are happy to "settle for a copied version", if anything it shows by imitating Global's tight ship format, highly focussed music and tight links that other groups can also find success in duplicating their formats.

Listeners don't flock to Heart because of the name/jingles/jocks, they come for the music and style of the station. Real could have copied it under GMG if they had any sense and probably delivered decent figures, sadly too many groups seem to run sloppy playlists and don't pay attention to the things that actually matter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I think they'll do an hour of non stop music at 1pm then drive from 2pm, as they do now.

http://www.heart.co.uk/cymru/on-air/capital-is-coming/ (no Welsh translation?!)

This promo has been going out only on Heart Cymru. It's basically the same as the one thats going out on all the Heart Stations in North Wales however, this version has a male v/o thats in the Welsh language, whereas the other stations have an English Language v/o.

(taken from the Radio Today site)
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2014/04/capital-fm-promos-start-on-heart-n-wales/

Just out of curiosity, when Real becomes Heart in Wales, will they be referring to it as Heart North Wales on what is the North and Mid Wales frequencies, or will it be referred to as just Heart. Reason I'm asking is that Aberystwyth, Newtown and its surrounding areas have always been classed as Mid Wales, not North Wales, therefore geographically, it isn't just North Wales that will be covered in its TSA. It would be like having Heart North West based in Manchester covering not only the North West but also having a TSA that would include Birmingham and Stafford, would they then refer to it as just Heart North West eventhough they were encompassing a large part of the midlands?

I'm not being pedantic, just being curious and raising the question
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 92
    Forum Member
    I wonder what will happen to the Real Radio Wales slots on muxco DAB Wrexham, North East Wales and Cheshire? Will we see Heart North Wales appear and perhaps a Capital North Wales slot... Anyone in the know?
  • Options
    leddersledders Posts: 2,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    With respect I wonder where David Heane will end up?

I think Global will already have a show lined up for him somewhere.

They are not going to bring in new presenters to what is at the moment Real Radio North West, when they need to fill shows with the current presenters. Plus, Global aren't going to want to loose somebody like David Heane.
  • Options
    jon craigjon craig Posts: 1,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think you've tied yourself up in knots there fella. Surely if the 'copied' version of Heart is, as you say, different name, different presenters, and different format, then really it's not a copy of Heart at all? :confused:

The fact is, as nobjockey says, GEM is performing very well in the East Midlands. The reality is, having Heart go up against GEM wouldn't suit Orion or Global. At best all they'll do is split the audience, which wouldn't be an acceptable outcome for either group. The fact that GEM is the current incumbent in the area, means it is actually likely to come out on top in a straight head to head battle. Not necessarily because it's better, but because Heart are unlikely to offer anything dramatically different or more enticing to win over the existing, satisfied, GEM listeners. In short, Global would have too much to lose and too little to gain - at least at the moment.
  • Options
    CS73CS73 Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea as to what sort of times the Capital promos have been going out on Heart? Ad breaks, just local hours etc?

I've listened to the stations quite a bit during the local shows and not heard it once yet
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today on Real Radio Scotland 279 comments have already appeared in the main thread alone...

I see from the Heart promo, there said Feel good radio station ;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    jon craig wrote: »
    Think you've tied yourself up in knots there fella. Surely if the 'copied' version of Heart is, as you say, different name, different presenters, and different format, then really it's not a copy of Heart at all? :confused:

The fact is, as nobjockey says, GEM is performing very well in the East Midlands. The reality is, having Heart go up against GEM wouldn't suit Orion or Global. At best all they'll do is split the audience, which wouldn't be an acceptable outcome for either group. The fact that GEM is the current incumbent in the area, means it is actually likely to come out on top in a straight head to head battle. Not necessarily because it's better, but because Heart are unlikely to offer anything dramatically different or more enticing to win over the existing, satisfied, GEM listeners. In short, Global would have too much to lose and too little to gain - at least at the moment.

Whilst yes I see some of what you're saying my point is if having Heart in the east mids wasn't commercially viable to Global then why?????? have kept heart london on DAB since 2011 surely if they believed there wasn't any justification or a need for them why would they have poured money into keeping them on DAB?surely they must a market for them,in 2011 it was I believe Global's attention to have both capital and operating in the area but then orion threw one big spanner in globals plans by not agreeing to pay globals franchise deal just to prove they could play the local card at a time that heart had established its self as a market leader and house hold name and global knows this after all how can heart be a national fm station when they have over a 100 miles black hole in there national TSA,global are playing the waiting game to find a way to bring heart back they know it can hold its own against smooth and gem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    I think Clyde is really going to benefit from Heart launching in Scotland.
  • Options
    paulx23paulx23 Posts: 2,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kierankay wrote: »
    I think Clyde is really going to benefit from Heart launching in Scotland.
    I'd imagine the truth to be quite the opposite.
  • Options
    seiko456seiko456 Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulx23 wrote: »
    I'd imagine the truth to be quite the opposite.

I don't.

I think Forth/tay/Cylde am etc station and Forth/tay/Cylde FM stations will get a tone of new listeners, from this change.

I just get the feeling the public will not warm to the TV DJs
  • Options
    MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seiko456 wrote: »
    I don't.

I think Forth/tay/Cylde am etc station and Forth/tay/Cylde FM stations will get a tone of new listeners, from this change.

I just get the feeling the public will not warm to the TV DJs

I think Heart will at least wake up the music and program controllers at Clyde/Tay/Forth (Like Capital did musically) with it's Club Classics, Competitions and All 80s All Night show. Clyde currently sounds like Real Radio from it's final GMG days (before hold separate) and also comes across very dated at times with its GBX and Super Scoreboard shows.

There also isn't any club classic shows on the (Clyde) network during weekends.