Options

Is five years too big an age gap?

Cobalt_RoseCobalt_Rose Posts: 22
Forum Member
Hi everyone.

A few weeks, I met this really great guy. We've been communicating via texts and phone calls, and we've both expressed a liking for the other. I'd like to take it further, but there's something that's been putting me off ever so slightly.

I'm 20, will be 21 in May. He's currently 24, but will be 25 in January. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to relationships, so not sure if this gap in age would be consider problematic. I know we're both adults, but I'm worried what others will think!

Am I just being paranoid?

Many thanks! :)

Hannah

Comments

• Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I met my wife I was 21 and she was 17 and at the time folk may have said “what only 17, bit young for me”.

Move onto today and I’m 65 and she is 61 but that gap seems like nothing now.:D
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone.

A few weeks, I met this really great guy. We've been communicating via texts and phone calls, and we've both expressed a liking for the other. I'd like to take it further, but there's something that's been putting me off ever so slightly.

I'm 20, will be 21 in May. He's currently 24, but will be 25 in January. I'm quite inexperienced when it comes to relationships, so not sure if this gap in age would be consider problematic. I know we're both adults, but I'm worried what others will think!

Am I just being paranoid?

Many thanks! :)

Hannah

The age isn't an issue, it's how you both get on and function together that counts.
  • Options
    highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not too big at all from the viewpoint of others. The issue might be more how you see it yourself, but I wouldn't let that dictate whether or not you date him.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    That age gap is practically nothing. If you like each other then give it a go...
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 yrs is nothing.
    Good luck
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very similar thread here. You might like to read through that.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2190832
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all all..

Just go for it if you like her.
  • Options
    eggcheneggchen Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was 27 and my wife 21 when we met, so no it isn't a problem.
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Why do you care what others think? What have they got to do with your personal relationship?
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I would barely even consider that an age gap.

Not that I have an issue with actual age gaps anyway.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Well i am 10 years older than my wife. Why would it matter what anyone else thought, its about what you two want not about other people
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5 Years is probably only a bad thing if you are 16 and she's 11 but generally once both parties are over 16 who cares what the hell you get up to.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Only if he was 17 and you were 12 maybe !!

21 and 26 - go for it !!
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my partner was 21 years older than me. Never bothered us one iota we did not care what anyone thought or said,. Our family said main thing is. Are we happy. Answer yes
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes..
  • Options
    razorback Tonyrazorback Tony Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On first reading the OP, I thought that it must be some kind of joke that I couldn't see, and was waiting for the punch line, but it appears that Hannah was serious!
    25 y.o. guy, 20 y.o. girl? That's a no-no age gap?
    Am I missing something, is Hannah wise beyond her years, or did I miss the memo?
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Another vote for "that's barely an age gap".
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to break it to the nice people in these forums but this kind of thread is almost certainly made-up.

The narrative structure, the low post-count and the crucial clue; the soapy moral issue featured.
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    Why do you care what others think? What have they got to do with your personal relationship?

Because some people care about that. Why can't you just answer the question?

OP, it's barely a difference and I doubt anyone would see it that way. Good luck.
  • Options
    Chihiro77Chihiro77 Posts: 1,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I hate to break it to the nice people in these forums but this kind of thread is almost certainly made-up.

The narrative structure, the low post-count and the crucial clue; the soapy moral issue featured.

Pretty rubbish trolling if it is.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Five years is nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can assure everyone that I'm not trolling. I'd be a very sad individual if I were! I didn't realise not being especially active made me a troll.

But I clearly have my answer. Thanks to everyone who answered.
  • Options
    Forum Member

And I hate to break it to YOU, but I can assure that you are wrong. I'm not trolling. If I were, it would be a pathetic attempt at doing so.
  • Options
    scottlscottl Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wen I started University at 18 I thought the 3rd yr (never mind the PhD students) were about a million years older than me - after a few years you realise they are not :)
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's pretty harmless if so, but either way half of the posts on DS are either baity, wumming or trolling. Just look in Politics, it's hilarious.