Options

iPhone 4 reception problem?

Comments

• Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,550
    Forum Member
    davethorp wrote: »
    This

I can replicate the issue but only when I hold the phone in a manner in which I NEVER WOULD!

Hold the phone normally and it works just fine

See some of the many videos demonstrating the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE

The way he holds it when the signal first drops is how I hold my mobile phone, both when entering stuff in the keypad and making/receiving calls. Normally.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not the signal dropping, it's the metering. It's an important difference. If your speedo becomes disconnected, is your car still going 80mph?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,430
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »

The way he holds it when the signal first drops is how I hold my mobile phone, both when entering stuff in the keypad and making/receiving calls. Normally.

That video certainly attracted some firm comments:

"let's pay 700€ for this bullshit!!!! Now we can see how a company like apple can do marketing to lie people. Good quality? or good marketing?"

"Hater?, AppleHeads are the first haters to anything that is not AAPL or iCRAP
    HTC EVO 4G runs on 4G network, iPhone4 NOT. None has 4G network but Sprint
    HTC EVO 4G 8mp camarra, iPhone4 5mp
    HTC EVO 4G is much faster than iPhone4
    HTC EVO 4G has Fm Radio, iPhone4 NOT
    HTC EVO 4G has HDMI output, iPhone4 NOT
    HTC EVO 4G hotspot connects 8 laptops to internet, iPhone4 NONE"

I hope that Apple will attempt to correct this issue in due course. I can only assume that there was insuffient panel testing beforehand with potential users because of fears of potential leaks about the iPhone 4.

But that happened anyway when an Apple employee left a prototype in a bar in Redwood City, California - http://gizmodo.com/5520438/how-apple-lost-the-next-iphone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what, the very first thing i want to do with a phone is connect 8 other laptops to the internet for the 1 hour the battery will last while doing that, terrific feature :)

If i can also listen to FM radio while taking substandard but higher resolution pictures, or video that's not even 25fps, so much the better! Why the hell can't it make coffee while it's heating it's battery out doing the wifi router thing? Stupid lame ass lmao!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    john_locke wrote: »
    It's not the signal dropping, it's the metering. It's an important difference. If your speedo becomes disconnected, is your car still going 80mph?
    You didn't watch that video, did you.

The signal dropped and the calls disconnected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE

It's not the metering (don't believe the hype) and even if it was, it still needs a recall! Car doing 80 when speedo says zero is bladdy dangerous!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did watch it - but it's a cellular call being dropped, possibly the most common occurrence in the world after, oh i dunno, sneezing. It's not exactly a scientific test bench is it? I can't replicate it on my wife's iPhone 4. I know something of antenna theory, and this is something that just "is". Maybe they'll cheat the metering software in an update to stop people being weird, but it's just a field strength thing. Did you see the nokia video where the same thing happens?

Did you read the Nexus One forums where exactly the same thing happens on that?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=34ae2c179184c33e&hl=en

It's exactly the same, only the Apple thing makes it "big news".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you see the nokia video where the same thing happens?

Did you read the Nexus One forums where exactly the same thing happens on that?

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/android/thread?tid=34ae2c179184c33e&hl=en

It's exactly the same, only the Apple thing makes it "big news".
    I don't care who it is, any phone where that happens to that extent when you hold it in that way has a design flaw that needs a fix.

None of my mobiles have done it unless I went out of my way to find by trial and error where the antenna is in the case and deliberately mask it or touch it. I don't have a recent one though.

And if the field strength drops enough, the call will drop. I don't believe for one moment this guff about it being the metering (as if that makes it any less a design fault anyway). Sounds like manufacturer hype to me.

It seems to me that mobile antennae should be at the place where users are least likely to touch or mask it - the top. They all did that a few years ago...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...and if you'd looked into some recent antenna design, you'd realize that they're not allowed to now, really.the FCC ( who count for the world because they're global products and the usa matters) doesn't want antennae any nearer the brain than is absolutely necessary. Design compromises are a fact of life sadly. Touching the antennna affects the metering, smothering it could drop a call, doesn't matter what the phone is.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we can see how a company like apple can do marketing to lie people. Good quality? or good marketing?

User power and the media relying on Apple for most of their positive success stories?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hint: user power relies on user satisfaction. See JD Power customer service surveys.
  • Options
    DeanparkrDeanparkr Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You didn't watch that video, did you.

The signal dropped and the calls disconnected. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03PQyWp0mWE

It's not the metering (don't believe the hype) and even if it was, it still needs a recall! Car doing 80 when speedo says zero is bladdy dangerous!

If the call is dropping which is whats happening then it is nothing to do with the signal meter being off, the hardware radio simpily isnt performing well enough to maintain the call.
  • Options
    davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member

I've seen many videos of people replicating the problem and replicated it myself and in each instance the phone was gripped in the most unnatural manner imaginable

Holding it in the death grip my thumb can't even reach every point of the screen so why would I hold it like that when I can hold it a bit looser and work it with one hand or hold it in both hands typing with both thumbs as I'm doing now. In both grips the phone works perfectly
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One theory I read, was the algorithm used to lock on the 'best' but not necessarily 'strongest' signal is bugged since the advent of iOS 4. Apparently before iOS 4 it was the other way around. Whether that would play a part in this I have no idea. It's just one of the many snippets of theories, ideas and rumours flying around the internet at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...and if you'd looked into some recent antenna design, you'd realize that they're not allowed to now, really.
    I think you mean if I'd looked into the regulations. I readily accept what you say, as I'm not familar with the regulations and I don't intend to start reading them now. However, the fact that a simple plastic bumper/buffer costing a couple of quid (and sold for £25) is reported to solve the problem, well it kindof confirms the design fault even if they HAD to put the antenna at the bottom.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dear lord, this is hysterical. I suppose no ones been looking at the HTC G1 or the Nokia videos where you can see the dBM meter fluctuating in exactly the same way when the antenna area is covered? It.Happens.To.All.Phones.

Seems that Nokia have released a blog to counteract the 'they are as crap as us' wishful false information.

http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/06/28/how-do-you-hold-your-nokia/
  • Options
    Space CadetSpace Cadet Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    My iPhone 4 works fine, typical bad bandwagon journalism.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My iPhone 4 works fine, typical bad bandwagon journalism.

So because yours works, that must mean that everyone elses does too?
  • Options
    Space CadetSpace Cadet Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    So because yours works, that must mean that everyone elses does too?

No, but this reporting is always common when an iphone is released...gets on my tit end. Why should people who own HTC's or Nokias give a shit - if there model is so superior why should they care? Obsessed much?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, but this reporting is always common when an iphone is released...gets on my tit end. Why should people who own HTC's or Nokias give a shit - if there model is so superior why should they care? Obsessed much?

The reason why it is reported on is because Jobs and Apple put the iPhone on a pedastal and tell us how marvellous it is and how different it is to other phones.

In practice, it is no better than any other phone. But the fanboys lap it up.

So, when there's quite an elementary fault (and reception on a mobile phone is something you might want to get working well), with a so called premium product, you are going to report on it.

It also didn't help that Jobs' response was "don't hold it that way" and the rest of the company had nothing to say.
  • Options
    KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    Apple haven't really said anything since the launch about the issues :S except Jobs crap comment. Something tells me Apple is going to keep telling people a fix is coming for 30days when they know people won't be able to return their phone and will be locked in for 12-24months........
  • Options
    Gareth56Gareth56 Posts: 2,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but this reporting is always common when an iphone is released...gets on my tit end.

Your "tit end" is going to get pretty crowded then!!

Apple
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    So, when there's quite an elementary fault (and reception on a mobile phone is something you might want to get working well), .

I have had my own issues setting up the iPhone, and also like to think I'm level headed when it comes to Apple products. They do some things very well, some things only averagely and some things not at all.

However, I wonder if the reception problems are less of an elementary fault and more of a batch thing. Perhaps some problem in manufacturing on a component (such as an aerial coating)

I'm certainly not one for gloating (there lies hubris) but, can only speak as I currently find having lived with the iPhone 4 for about five minutes. At home, I live in an awful reception area - but the phone is a mobile for when I'm out and about, right? I rarely got any signal at all in the house, and it was touch and go whether I got one bar outside.

People have said that the problem is more apparent in bad signal areas. Well, I'm amazed, and not a little surprised to see that I actually have a signal indoors - its only one bar, but already the strike rate is better than my old 3G. I've put my finger to short the black bar at the bottom left hand corner, and over 30 - 40 seconds STILL get one bar.

Am I lucky or in the majority who don't seem to have a problem? - or perhaps my palms aren't sweaty enough with excitement. Traditionally I'm unlucky with technology, so I may yet find the killer flaw that renders them all iBricks.

I hope not.

By the way, did you hear about the two iPhones that got married? The ceremony was wonderful, but the reception was awful.

They held it in the wrong place.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    However, I wonder if the reception problems are less of an elementary fault and more of a batch thing. Perhaps some problem in manufacturing on a component (such as an aerial coating)

That would make sense, but Apple's latest internal document states it's a normal part of the phone.

In addition, there are reports of the problem in phones made in several factories, during different weeks and shipped to different countries.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called Apple today to complain about the signal issue and they are sending me out a free bumper.

They admitted it was a fault and that they are working on it and that it was unreasonable to expect people to change the way they hold things and to pay extra (ie. £25 bumper) to make it actually work. Worth the phone call for a freebie work-around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexy_86 wrote: »
    I called Apple today to complain about the signal issue and they are sending me out a free bumper.

They admitted it was a fault and that they are working on it and that it was unreasonable to expect people to change the way they hold things and to pay extra (ie. £25 bumper) to make it actually work. Worth the phone call for a freebie work-around.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/29/leaked-apples-internal-iphone-4-antenna-troubleshooting-procedures/

If this is true, something very fishy is going on at Apple. You must have been lucky, as it says "no free bumpers".