Options

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    She referred to it being "one" of his deaths. He's still very much alive.

but without the manipulator he won't be going very far
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steven Moffat could have made the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who fantastic but he blew it , there are storylines that don't make any sense , First of all Tennant's era as the doctor is slightly out of character. Secondly there is no storyline to pick up after when the 10th Doctor left his clone in the Parallel world or 'Pete's World' as the 10th Doctor branded it as , they could have showed us an insight of what happened next? , Thirdly Billie Piper again they could have done what happened next when she stayed behind with the cloned doctor instead they used Billie for just the Bad Wolf , the only thing Moffat seems to reference that was used during RTD's era of whom which he should have been the person to pen this 50th special , wasted potential , I bet RTD has been ripping his hair to shreds after watching this and I'm pretty sure that even he knows he could have done better writing it!

The people who defend saying oh its just as good as it ever was really ? ask yourself are you just watching it for the jokes or for the hype that the media has stirred up over the last few months. Real fans follow the show for the storylines not for dumb so called jokes like adding all these Fez references ? :rolleyes:

For all his faults RTD would have imbued this episode with the emotion it warranted.
  • Options
    IggymanIggyman Posts: 8,021
    Forum Member
    Hmmm, bit of a mixed bag for me - some parts really great, some parts good, some parts incredibly naff.

Ah well, it kept me moderately amused for a while I suppose.

Oh yes, and the overblown music - will somebody please remind me why Murray Gold is still employed to 'write' such nonsense?
  • Options
    ShhhSilenceShhhSilence Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Fantastic Doctor Who 50th! Kiss on the cheek to the past, first view of the future & a major narrative shift. Fez off to Mr Moff!
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame on you Christopher for not doing the regeneration.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They said it was 'ONE of his deaths' not THE death.
    They did say 'one of them' in reference to his dying

Fair play :)
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to wonder also if they've now 'officially' killed off Jack Harkness as well. It'll be a bit of a low-key way to go - basically being killed off in a sentence ..

Pretty sure they did in series 3 - when the Face of Boe died.
  • Options
    BruciesToupeBruciesToupe Posts: 857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have the foggiest what was going on from
    Start to finish but loved every second...

They were all brilliant but slipping in Tom
    Baker nearly made me cry.

Long live doctor Who 😜😜😜😜
  • Options
    Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member

... until he dies as the Face of Bo.

I think. I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, course he isn't.

Sorry y'all but that episode plot wise was quite simple. ;)

Whatever :rolleyes:

Just my opinion. It was disappointing for a 50th. Too complex and confusing. No casual viewer would no what on earth was going on.

Tom Baker / John Hurt made it worth watching though for me. David and Matt also fantastic performances.

Peter will have huge shoes to fill.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    eggshell wrote: »
    Well I was incredibly disappointed with that.

It verges on the tedious until the 3 Doctors got together and then it felt incredibly by the numbers.

I was in tears watching an Adventure in Space and Time...I was just bored to tears with this utter mess.

what he said
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    Most likely between Donna's first appearance and meeting Martha, because obviously he knew about Rose and Bad Wolf, yet in the Shakespeare Code in series 3 Elizabeth I is mad at him, most likely because he said he'd be right back and never returned.

She was mad at him but did he know why at that point?
  • Options
    TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My understanding was he played the curator of the gallery but just played by Tom Baker for the fun of it. :D

If he was supposed to be playing the 4th Doctor then my understanding of the episode just flew out of the window.
    I have to say that I understood it to be the complete opposite and he was the fourth Doctor
  • Options
    Central cakeCentral cake Posts: 5,625
    Forum Member
    Seems to be on here its cool to slate Doctor Who.

I loved it. :D Amazing episode.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you mean oldest surviving Doctor Who.

Cause William / Patrick / Jon have sadly passed away. Tom is the next oldest remaining. So obvious to have him cameo for the 50th. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Real fans follow the show for the storylines not for dumb so called jokes like adding all these Fez references ? :rolleyes:

I'm not even going to bother replying to the rest of your post when you put a ridiculous sentence like this at the end of it.

'Real' fans should respect that people like the show for different things, watch the show for different reasons and care about different aspects of it.

And that people are entitled to like or dislike it as they please.

Grow up. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    Terrible casting choice for Elizabeth I.

Yeah, I'm not sure what they were thinking casting her.
    Looks like they wanted a comedy Elizabeth I for that section of the show.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it lost its way a bit through the Middle, Moffat just trying to be too clever as usual, but the last 15 mins were excellent.
  • Options
    K2kK2k Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    My thoughts:

I loved the chemistry of the 3 doctors together, the time war, loved the end and the start and the Peter Capaldi cameo.

Enjoyed the episode overall.

Didn't like: The whole Queen Elizabeth thing and the Zygons, pretty pointless.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My head hurts. Didn't really have a clue what was going on half the time. I had to ask the other half who the old guy was at the end......I think we're getting divorced now :(

I've struggled to follow Doctor Who episodes in the past (last year's Christmas episode featuring Clara, for example) but by the end, I felt tonight's plot made sense.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Whatever :rolleyes:

Just my opinion. It was disappointing for a 50th. Too complex and confusing. No casual viewer would no what on earth was going on.

Tom Baker / John Hurt made it worth watching though for me. David and Matt also fantastic performances.

Peter will have huge shoes to fill.

Not sure what the rolling eyes are for.

I never said you couldn't have your opinion.

Something tells me it wasn't aimed at the casual fans.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope! You are quite right to call me on that! I was wrong. It happened. And it worked.

It really did.

But I am sharing your Captain Jack frustration. Hopefully one day.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I expected answers about Susan, damn it. Oh well, maybe for the 100th... :(

Also, they should have used Donna instead of Rose. She's way funnier and Rose's story and relationship with the Doctor is too complicated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat2 wrote: »
    She was mad at him but did he know why at that point?

True. Maybe it was later then, or else he did know and just wasn't about to admit it to Martha (aka, Moffat decided years later that the Doctor marrying Elizabeth I actually sort of fitted into continuity, albeit not history!)
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No offence to you people, but you're easily pleased.

This 50th episodes was an insult to the intelligence. One long garbled, self indulgent piece of junk.

0/10.