Options

Doctor Who: The Day of the Doctor. BBC1. 23/11/2013 19:50. Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    So what was that all about?

Saving Galifray?

In a sense. Preserving the doctors moral code without killing off his people was more important.

Depends who you think Billie Piper was? If she's a manifestation of the intelligence of the doomsday weapon she's just committed to a more moral decision. But why didn't she achieve that the first time around and stop it happening the first time? When the eyes glow though she is Goddess Rose, and Goddess Rose has an agenda for her doctor, and can come back from later in the timeline to steer things to the right conclusion. She can pretend to be anything she wants to. She can't change the history of her first two doctors,as she exists because of it, but she can change things from now on.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Hurt was great. Capaldi appeared and I shouted out in excitement. Tom appeared and I shouted 'Tom!!'. But, I must confess, the story itself was really, really mediocre.

John Hurt was brilliant.

I sort of wish he could the THE Doctor for a bit now.

I know he's 73, but he's great actor & would carry the show well.

Looking forward to Peter Capaldi though.

PS: A penny for Christopher Eccleston's thoughts right now? He could have been a part of this.:(
  • Options
    DragonicDragonic Posts: 2,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'll enjoy the episode more on a second viewing when I'm not trying to predict what will happen though.

Same here, I've recorded it and while probably watch again tomorrow.

Loved the interaction of the 3
    Loved the references to many things.
    Loved the ending and really got me excited for the Christmas special.

I think the overhype set my sights too high for it though.

(I'm not saying it was a bad episode, just my own fault for setting my expectations stupidly high)
  • Options
    TranceClubberTranceClubber Posts: 2,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Russell T. Davies should have had a hand in writing this. Yes I said it.

Steven Moffat could have made the 50th anniversary of Doctor Who fantastic but he blew it , there are storylines that don't make any sense , First of all Tennant's era as the doctor is slightly out of character. Secondly there is no storyline to pick up after when the 10th Doctor left his clone in the Parallel world or 'Pete's World' as the 10th Doctor branded it as , they could have showed us an insight of what happened next? , Thirdly Billie Piper again they could have done what happened next when she stayed behind with the cloned doctor instead they used Billie for just the Bad Wolf , the only thing Moffat seems to reference that was used during RTD's era of whom which he should have been the person to pen this 50th special , wasted potential , I bet RTD has been ripping his hair to shreds after watching this and I'm pretty sure that even he knows he could have done better writing it!

The people who defend saying oh its just as good as it ever was really ? ask yourself are you just watching it for the jokes or for the hype that the media has stirred up over the last few months. Real fans follow the show for the storylines not for dumb so called jokes like adding all these Fez references ? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Oh and though he wasn't there physically I was as happy for a name check for my beloved Captain Jack as I was for anything else.

It was disappointing JB was desperate to be part of it but was never asked, a small cameo handing over the vortex manipulator would have been everything.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have to wonder also if they've now 'officially' killed off Jack Harkness as well. It'll be a bit of a low-key way to go - basically being killed off in a sentence ..

They said it was 'ONE of his deaths' not THE death.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I thought that was brilliant. Easy enough for casual fans to follow but with a few little touches for the more "knowledgeable" fan e.g. the references to the change in costume, the comparative sizes of the sonic screwdrivers and Tennant asking about Bad Wolf.

My head hurts. Didn't really have a clue what was going on half the time. I had to ask the other half who the old guy was at the end......I think we're getting divorced now :(
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    It killed me when Ten couldn't see Rose (even though I know it wasn't really her lol).
    Personally I enjoyed it, but I wish we could have seen more of the actual war.
    They've talked about it so many times since Nu Who started I wanted more action.

Also, I though Tom Baker's inclusion was utterly pointless, just fanwank.

was that actually supposed to be tom bakers doctor or just Tom baker playing a different character
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to wonder also if they've now 'officially' killed off Jack Harkness as well. It'll be a bit of a low-key way to go - basically being killed off in a sentence ..

She referred to it being "one" of his deaths. He's still very much alive.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They did say 'one of them' in reference to his dying. I was worried at the time. It would be no way for him to go. I expect him back with Capaldi.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Very entertaining hour (ish). Very witty script. I'm glad they brought back the big round thingys and Tom Baker. That was a real :cry: moment. The time just flew.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    downtonfan wrote: »
    Russell T. Davies should have had a hand in writing this. Yes I said it.

You are right, we may have actually have seen the Zygon story wrapped up instead of left hanging in this air, so the girl is handed the inhaler, she then knows that she is the human one, we need closure on this story, what did she do next?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    It was very good!
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One criticism I do have is that for someone who isn't a long-time fan of the show, this would have been almost totally incomprehensible.

But then again, who cares? It's the 50th anniversary. It should a crap-tonne of continuity! :D
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    The story wasn't perfect and the Zygon story wasn't tied up at all let alone effectively but I enjoyed every single minute! It was a brilliant anniversary episode, something for everybody even those watching for the first time.

It completely changes the path the show is on, something I really think was needed. I wonder if they'll address Gallifrey in the Christmas special or just mention it and let the actually search for it be the 12th Doctor's story. That small clip of it looked brilliant.
  • Options
    RecallRecall Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I was totally underwhelmed, Russell T Davies did much better special episodes.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved that
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat2 wrote: »
    So where was Tenants doctor on his timeline?

Most likely between Donna's first appearance and meeting Martha, because obviously he knew about Rose and Bad Wolf, yet in the Shakespeare Code in series 3 Elizabeth I is mad at him, most likely because he said he'd be right back and never returned.
  • Options
    RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    It was expected I think because Tom is the oldest and only surviving Doctor Who left. He was also incredibly popular too.
    I think you mean oldest surviving Doctor Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ended up as a Who's Who of Who, which was well nice, but the actual episode was like a few different stories mish-mashed together. Only the decision to reverse the decision was really memorable.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    It was disappointing JB was desperate to be part of it but was never asked, a small cameo handing over the vortex manipulator would have been everything.

Agreed. People always cite A Good Man Goes to War and the fact he was invited back and couldn't make it but Moffat has had more time than that to get him back. The Captain must come back. He simply must. I hope Moffat remedies this outrage. Because it is one!
  • Options
    GilaGoraGilaGora Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Name of the Doctor was 10x better. Moffat phoned in this script for some reason.

The performances were outstanding though, John Hurt is already one of my favourites. Oh, and TOM F***ING BAKER! :D
  • Options
    topcat2topcat2 Posts: 6,265
    Forum Member
    james_W85 wrote: »
    was that actually supposed to be tom bakers doctor or just Tim baker playing a different character

I didn't really get that either.
    I didn't think it was a simple plot at all
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    Expectations were high. Expectations were met. And occasionally exceeded.

Job well done.

^^This.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    was that actually supposed to be tom bakers doctor or just Tim baker playing a different character

My understanding was he played the curator of the gallery but just played by Tom Baker for the fun of it. :D

If he was supposed to be playing the 4th Doctor then my understanding of the episode just flew out of the window.