Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 48)

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also interesting comments by LvG on De Gea.

https://twitter.com/OliverKayTimes/status/630023082728660996?s=09
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,511
    Forum Member
    Just caught up after having to record the match and then avoid the score. Satisfactory for me. Yes, the lack of creating chances is déjà vu but some good signs. More like a warm up to a league game but it has actually been warm and humid in Manchester today.
    Highlights, liking the look of Darmian, mind you if an Italian defender cannot defend, then we may as well all give up.....
    Loved LVG's post match comments and he suggested that Memphis just needed to calm down a bit!
    A decent start and plenty of promise for me.
    We need another striker though
  • Options
    Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a guess who is injured, yup him- and he didn't even play today!

Typical.

https://twitter.com/ManUtd/status/630025825165910016?s=09

If Rafael was sold on the back of his injury record, then Jones should be very concerned for his future.

Hardly. He has just been offered, and signed, a new contract.
  • Options
    zielerzieler Posts: 8,038
    Forum Member
    Having a go at Jones for that is pretty poor IMO.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,538
    Forum Member
    How much was the Own Goal signing? Or did we get him on a free transfer? :D
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zieler wrote: »
    Having a go at Jones for that is pretty poor IMO.

Not for me.

He's a regular sick note.
  • Options
    Banana RamaBanana Rama Posts: 3,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can see where the problems are going to be based on todays performance. Van Gaal is absolutely right about needing that extra quality and pace up front.

I would also say it makes more sense to have someone up there with Rooney rather than him being by himself.

If you are going to play with one up front the players round him need to be lightening quick in terms of thought and movement.

the problem is rooney, he looks old and slow, he doesn't have the physical attributes to lead the line for us anymore, we need pace up front or at least someone with a physical presence who can hold the ball up, rooney offers neither of those, he is living on past reputation. pedro will bring more pace and goal threat into the team but it won't be enough to make up for the guy we have up front who is a liability now, i would rather have benteke up front then him, even liverpool have better options up front then us. van gaal can keep messing about with different player combinations all he wants but it won't solve anything until the main source of the problem is dealt with, and that is rooney's presence in the team. a world class striker like lewandowski, benzema or cavani, or even someone like benteke would make a big difference to our team. van gaal has even resorted to playing depay out of position behind rooney to try to compensate for rooney's lack of pace instead of tackling the actual problem. as for todays game, it was a poor performance and we were very fortunate to get the win, all i saw were the same old problems as last season, it is the first game of the season tho so its too early to draw definite conclusions just yet, and we did get the win which is the most important thing, but if we keep playing like that our luck will run out.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not for me.

He's a regular sick note.

Criticising someone for picking up injuries is fine. Using someone getting thrombosis as an excuse to bash them is pretty shitty. But don't let that stop you from calling him a sick note for the seven billionth time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to say but if we were playing Chelsea or The Berties today they would have smashed us. Tottenham were finding it rather easy getting through the defence and if not for Chris Smalling who knows what could have happened. Hopefully Van Gaal will change his mind and look for a Centre Half. Rooney was anonymous today and didn't look like a Striker who will break United's all time goalscoring record. On the plus side Darmian looked solid and Romero had a pretty steady debut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yay, it's the return of the 'ok we won, but we will get smashed by City' line of thinking. Thought that went a bit quiet after what happened last time we played them but good to see it return.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Ah yeah, you're right. Probably injured again? ^_^

I think Jones, Wilshire and Sturridge have a thing going on.
  • Options
    Scratchy.Scratchy. Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    Yay, it's the return of the 'ok we won, but we will get smashed by City' line of thinking. Thought that went a bit quiet after what happened last time we played them but good to see it return.

You would have understood if it was a few games into the season, but it's one game, against a team who will probably be fighting for a top four finish. Completely ridiculous reaction, despite having one of the best records against the top 6/7 last season.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the problem is rooney, he looks old and slow, he doesn't have the physical attributes to lead the line for us anymore, we need pace up front or at least someone with a physical presence who can hold the ball up, rooney offers neither of those, he is living on past reputation. pedro will bring more pace and goal threat into the team but it won't be enough to make up for the guy we have up front who is a liability now, i would rather have benteke up front then him, even liverpool have better options up front then us. van gaal can keep messing about with different player combinations all he wants but it won't solve anything until the main source of the problem is dealt with, and that is rooney's presence in the team. a world class striker like lewandowski, benzema or cavani, or even someone like benteke would make a big difference to our team. van gaal has even resorted to playing depay out of position behind rooney to try to compensate for rooney's lack of pace instead of tackling the actual problem. as for todays game, it was a poor performance and we were very fortunate to get the win, all i saw were the same old problems as last season, it is the first game of the season tho so its too early to draw definite conclusions just yet, and we did get the win which is the most important thing, but if we keep playing like that our luck will run out.....

I think that is ridiculously harsh on Rooney but I agree in so much as I wouldn't be playing him as a lone striker.

I would far rather see him playing being an out and out striker and Depay being pushed out wide. That said, I did say that Depay could be earmarked, rightly or wrongly, to spend some time through the middle.

The problem with Rooney is the fact that he likes to come hunting for the ball if he isn't involved in the play and thats an absolute no-no for a lone striker so he either ends up frustrated or isolated for large periods. The other issue is that either way you don't want him dropping back and picking the ball up in midfield either. There are too many players that are able to play in that hole or the not quite striker/not quite midfielder/not quite winger role. An out and out dynamic powerful forward isn't the worst idea in the world but I suspect Pedro looks the most likely which is more of the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »

They must be having their own private competition of sorts.
  • Options
    Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They must be having their own private competition of sorts.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilshere is a massive loss to the game, I can't see him ever hitting the heights that he should because of his constant injuries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ohhhh I have to ask your permission to post an opinion do I? Doesn't change the fact what I said is true though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilshere is a massive loss to the game, I can't see him ever hitting the heights that he should because of his constant injuries.

Really? Fair enough, I think he is more hype than actual ability.

He must have some relationship with Henry Winter, as Henry raves about him non-stop it seems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Fair enough, I think he is more hype than actual ability.

He must have some relationship with Henry Winter, as Henry raves about him non-stop it seems.

He was a great player when he broke through and before he started getting injured every 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't that impressed with today. We lack an edge. Far too few chances at goal and we seem to settle for the 1-0 in about the 78th minute. Memphis had a really good first half, Darmain looked good for when he was on too. Romero did alright, considering he is "not fully in the prochesss"

Really liked Scneiderlin getting stuck in all the time too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Before the injuries Wilshere was on course to be one of the better young talents in the league. You'd need to have serious blinkers on not to see that. He was head and shoulders above all of his English peers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ohhhh I have to ask your permission to post an opinion do I? Doesn't change the fact what I said is true though.

No it isn't. It wasn't true when it was said last season before the tough run against Spurs, City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea that they would 'show us up' and we'd be smashed' and we wound up with 3 wins, a draw and one 1-0 defeat to the champions from that. So saying we will get smashed by City after one match which saw us beat Spurs is absolutely ridiculous and completely untrue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its your opinion which of course you are entitled to and entitled to say but that doesn't make it true.

aside from the fact that Man Utd weren't playing City or Chelsea so its irrelevant neither of those sides have looked good so far in pre-season so maybe they would be equally poor if they had to play at Old Trafford in the first game of the season.

We will never know!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Criticising someone for picking up injuries is fine. Using someone getting thrombosis as an excuse to bash them is pretty shitty. But don't let that stop you from calling him a sick note for the seven billionth time.
    Is all you do shoot down people's opinions ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is all you do shoot down people's opinions ?

No. I also do stand-up.
This discussion has been closed.