Eastenders: The Laundrette

2»

Comments

• Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Hunt wrote: »
    Pauline has been dead for how long now? And Dot has been seen like three times since she returned at the start of the year. It's redundant, it's just somewhere where people go to do things without people hearing or noticing and quite frankly there's other places for that. It may have BEEN iconic, but it's not an icon anymore because nothing that made it special is there. The cafe, you'll always have Ian complaining or Marie taking on everyone's shifts, The Vic is just the hub of everything, the laundrette? Somewhere Dot gives advice, only she doesn't anymore.

BIB - That makes zero sense. Something doesn't have to still be there to be iconic.

Den and Angie are iconic characters in the show. Both have been gone for years (in Angie's case she left 26 years ago). Doesn't mean they're not iconic. In fact most things only become iconic AFTER the fact, with the passage of time. I doubt anything was called "iconic" back in 1985.

I also never said that it should be kept so your argument against it's use NOW is what's redundant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben_Hunt wrote: »
    I don't think it is though (iconic) if The Queen Vic shut down that would be one thing or even the cafe but that's gone through it's fair share of names and the worlds kept turning. Dot is hardly ever there and surely she must be retiring soon? People think everything on EE is iconic which is part of the problem that we've had until now. It's stick in the past.

Welcome to the threads by the way, newbie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does feel weird to me as i have never been in one and do struggle to see how it gets enough business where it is. I feel like the real estate would be worth so much that it would have been sold by now in real life. But this isnt real life. Keep it I say, use it about as much, people still go there a lot. Cindy Jr and Liam were hiding in the backroom a while back and it was wear Archie raped Stacey (even if we never saw it) so major events can/do still happen there lol
  • Options
    meechyemoomeechyemoo Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My little Midlands town has several laundrettes, there is one at the bottom of my street, always seems to be people in. They do take dry cleaning though.
  • Options
    mo mousemo mouse Posts: 38,772
    Forum Member
    To be honest, Geraldine does my washing in our brand, spanking new washing machine but I can sympathise with those property magnets like Ian Beale who aren't as fortunate as me who can't afford their own. Mind you, he's got a restaurant, a supermarket and whatever else so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose.