Options

Man United Supporters Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Danny Welbeck wanting to leave is the only bright spot in an otherwise miserable day.

The only bright spot for me would be waking up to the Breaking News banner on Sky Sports saying David Moyes has been sacked or has left by mutual agreement. Won't happen though.
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fergie86 wrote: »
    The only bright spot for me would be waking up to the Breaking News banner on Sky Sports saying David Moyes has been sacked or has left by mutual agreement. Won't happen though.

Unfortunately, he won't resign. He'll have to be pushed.

Would you leave the biggest club in England with 5 years left to run?

I wouldn't. I don't think falling on ones sword even comes into it.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny Welbeck wanting to leave is the only bright spot in an otherwise miserable day.

We should be beating Tottenham's door to get them to take him, lets rob them blind.
    i£20m sounds a good fee from the papers today , lets see if we can wring a bit more out of them though.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »

Like you say, he will have to be pushed, he wont go of his own free will.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I bet it was you buying the drinks in the other night wasn't it? ;-)

Slightly off topic,anyone watch the Stone Roses documentary last night? Our Eric was at one of the gigs. :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, I think it's now definitely the right decision to sack Moyes this week. Unired have given him a fair shot but he is showing no potential to be a great manager. It's very nice to let a new manager build a new team but I honestly can't see how anyone can trust him with a major rebuild?

United still have a very strong team, minimum top 4 quality, but Moyes cannot get the best out of them. The main problem is the lacklustre style of play which has gone from crossing bombardment to tedious narrow possession football. No fixed style at all. I do not think buying more players would make that much difference.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debatable. And by 'debatable', I mean 'no'. He's not a target man, has an awful first touch, lacks composure and has a pretty average scoring record. All he's got is running, and running doesn't mean jack when your 9 team mates don't bother to press as well. Instead of throwing his toys out of the pram and whinging, maybe he should ask himself why he's always been 3rd/4th choice striker.

He's no big loss. If the stories about £20m and Spurs are true, Woodward should take the money and run.

20 million? Daniel Levy? Double it then you're talking. ;-)
  • Options
    Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,968
    Forum Member
    f_196 wrote: »

From a financial point probably not, so i can't blame him from that point of view, but then again if you have no financial problems which Moyes won't have then surely professional pride has to come into it, but i know that is clutching at straws. Moyes needs to be pushed , Manchester United are too big a club to let this situation carry on, if Moyes stays it could take decades to get back to the top.
  • Options
    jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    So, I take it they'll be a new manager at the end of the season (hopefully) imo this lot should follow the current one out of the door.

Cleverly
    Young
    Nani
    Buttner
    Anderson
    Fletcher
    Carrick
    Bebe

as well as the one's already gone

Vidic

one's likely to retire

Rio
    Giggs

one's who's contracts are up and likely to leave

Macheda

Have I missed anyone?

Evra is also out of contract this summer.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I bet it was you buying the drinks in the other night wasn't it? ;-)

Slightly off topic,anyone watch the Stone Roses documentary last night? Our Eric was at one of the gigs. :cool:

What Stone Roses Docu? I missed that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Channel 4 last night. Probably get it on i player/catch up. Watching it now, it lifts the mood alright. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Part of me is really surprised by that but then again he doesn't start all the time so I can actually see why he's fed up. We should be all over this IMO, kids got great potential and just needs more consistency.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was the documentary film that was released on dvd a few months ago, it is quite a good one actually.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    3 $pirit wrote: »
    Part of me is really surprised by that but then again he doesn't start all the time so I can actually see why he's fed up. We should be all over this IMO, kids got great potential and just needs more consistency.

He is fed up? He wants to try watching himself, that will really piss him off!!

The best thing about being Danny Welbeck is that he doesnt have to watch Danny Welbeck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 last night. Probably get it on i player/catch up. Watching it now, it lifts the mood alright. :cool:

Cheers, i'll have a wee look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He is fed up? He wants to try watching himself, that will really piss him off!!

The best thing about being Danny Welbeck is that he doesnt have to watch Danny Welbeck.

So not the biggest fan of his then eh...
  • Options
    f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think this line should go down as an all time classic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surley we will beat Norwich next time out though, won't we??

Not that will make a jot of difference to how this season will be percieved in the history books, the sooner this finishes the better, so we can start to see what the next moves our at the club.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooney lashed out at someone today, standard stuff.

When Mata is doing it too, you know that things aren't right.

There's no easy way out of this. Yes, Moyes should be gone. However, regardless of who would come in, it would more than likely mean another summer of disappointment and another season of 'transition'.

We are f***ed, for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surley we will beat Norwich next time out though, won't we??

Not that will make a jot of difference to how this season will be percieved in the history books, the sooner this finishes the better, so we can start to see what the next moves our at the club.

I'm at the point where I no longer care what happens on the pitch,just that the suits now do the right thing. The man is completely out of his depth,the job's too big for him and Fergie and Bobby have dropped one almighty goolie.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wikipedia says Welbeck has 134 appearances, and only scored 29 goals. That is not good enough. You want 30 goals a season, not in a career :D
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    It was only in February that we lost to Stoke and to Olympiacos so i don't think we are able to make any definitive statements about Moyes having turned things around. February was also the 2-2 draw with Fulham which was a low point for me. I think we have actually just added an extra bit of quality in the shape of Mata into the team and that is giving us the extra push to beat the lesser sides. Maybe you are right and he has learned - i certainly hope so but i think its early to say.

There are a lot of questions that remain unanswered for me. I would certainly be happy if you are right and he does get to grips with the job, i have nothing against him and id be happy for him to be a success but i have to be honest and say I've disagreed with just about everything he has done from day one!!
    Fair points. Your upturn in form has been very recent and your defeats to Stoke, Olympiakos and the draw with Fulham are still fresh in the memory. I have to admit I don't understand how Man Utd can go from a string of decent performances and results to a performance and result like today against Everton. I know Everton have been one of the better sides this season but still, to not force Tim howard to make a save til the 87th minute?!:o
    Also to update my last comment in my last post, a poster on this thread confirmed that after this defeat and Liverpool's win at Norwich you no longer have the best away record now.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm at the point where I no longer care what happens on the pitch,just that the suits now do the right thing. The man is completely out of his depth,the job's too big for him and Fergie and Bobby have dropped one almighty goolie.

The sooner this season is over with and we can start a fresh, and have a restart, be it with new players and/or a new manager the better.
    This season is dead to me, I will not look back at this season with any sort of fondness whatsoever (it makes the season we lost the title to City look like a success in comparison!:o:o), and I am just looking forward now to seeing what happens in the summer, as that will be a very important moment for the whole club.

Some very big and key decisions over a lot of people (both playing and non playing) will have to be made for the good of the club going forward.
    The Turk wrote: »
    Fair points. Your upturn in form has been very recent and your defeats to Stoke, Olympiakos and the draw with Fulham are still fresh in the memory. I have to admit I don't understand how Man Utd can go from a string of decent performances and results to a performance and result like today against Everton. I know Everton have been one of the better sides this season but still, to not force Tim howard to make a save til the 87th minute?!:o
    Also to update my last comment in my last post, a poster on this thread confirmed that after this defeat and Liverpool's win at Norwich you no longer have the best away record now.:D

Our mini return to some sort of decent form did mask our true nature, of quite how bad we have been for the vast majority of this season.
    We seem to crumble against any sort of decent side (I feel sorry for the Arsenal fans, seeing as how they are the only big team that we are undefeated against this season!), the thread which shows our form against the other top seven clubs is one that is humiliating for everyone connected to the club.

What happens from here on in, with regard to our last few remaining games, really is ireelevant, as they won't change a thing in terms of how this season will be viewed as time goes by.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rooney lashed out at someone today, standard stuff.

When Mata is doing it too, you know that things aren't right.

There's no easy way out of this. Yes, Moyes should be gone. However, regardless of who would come in, it would more than likely mean another summer of disappointment and another season of 'transition'.

We are f***ed, for the foreseeable future.

I don't know about that. So long as the manager coming in had watched a couple of our games, identified some of our problems I think improvements could be made. I think the main problems with Moyes specifically right now are:

(a. After an entire season he still doesn't really know the team - he's started a different team in practically every game of the season. That shows he's someone who doesn't really know his main team.

(b. Utilising players and exploiting teams' weaknesses - for example, he buys Mata but puts him on wing knowing that at Chelsea Mata thrived most in a central midfield role. He prioritises keeping Rooney over RVP, when it was RVP who was vital in acquiring the title last year. He continually neglects the importance of pace in the team - the City game was a prime example. You'd have thought he would have put Valencia or Welbeck on wing to exploit Demichelis struggles with pace for a start. Likewise, against Bayern why not play Hernandez upfront instead of an injured Rooney? Boateng is another defender whose struggled with pace this season. Instead in his determination to appease Rooney he plays an injured player who can't be fully effective against the best club side in the world right now!

(c. Moyes' incapability to identify the problems in the team - every post match interview going 'they played well' and the continued focus on possession as an end in itself - the possession simply isn't happening in the dangerous areas, and we've lacked in the final third for a long time now.

(d. Moyes being tactically conservative - enough said

(e. Moyes going after unrealistic targets - Toni Kroos was never going to leave Bayern to come to United at this moment in time - in fact it wouldn't surprise me if him and his agent, alike Ronaldo last year were using United as leverage for a better deal at Bayern. Likewise we were never going to get Reus, Gundogan, or any top Bundesliga talent at Bayern and Dortmund that we've been 'linked with'. Just like we were never going to get Fabregas - who right now is a shadow of his former self anyway, and if Moyes won't give Mata a free roaming role, then I wouldn't bet anything on him giving Fabregas one either if a transfer happened. There are talents out there that we can get, but it won't be big names.

(f. Personality - Moyes doesn't especially come across as someone with a strong personality who can assert his authority and ideas in the dressing room. Neither does he come across as someone who can inspire his players, in the way Mourinho, Guardiola, and Klopp clearly do. He hasn't captured the faith and the belief of players, and I think that's the key reason behind the lack of desire on the pitch. With that 300K contract he's given to Rooney he's also in effect undermined his own authority - for the first time in a long time a player is now bigger than the club, when that never was the case under Fergie.

In short Moyes is a disaster, and the longer he stays, the longer problems will not get rectified.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Princess, your username is very apt, as your post above is very well put together, and you spell out the problems at the club very well or rather perfectly.

It is very sad to see us in this state, I just hope that it improves very shortly, but I guess unless Moyes goes, and a suitable appointment is made, then we might be in for another tricky season.
This discussion has been closed.