Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    Seconded :cool:

Glad you can both see what's best for my son ;-)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Glad you can both see what's best for my son ;-)

I have no idea what you are saying here. Your sons disability does not preclude him from making moral decisions does it ?
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said in regard to your first paragraph. I've said on here a few times that his sporting achievements can't be taken away. Didn't go down too well when I said it..

I have zero interest in whether a person can run faster than another person, so his sporting achievements mean naff all to me. I doubt that I'm alone in that.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that simple. My 9 year old son is disabled & OP was a hero to him in 2012. (As were Richard Armitage, Johnny Peacock & others) I now have a hard time explaining what's happened but there's no taking away he inspired my son.

I can imagine, being so young must be confusing. Can I ask in what way did OP inspire your son? (with my not knowing your son's disability).
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wackyw wrote: »
    Good post Dazie, best today by a mile.

Paragraph above - I agree with you. If I had killed anyone I didn't actually mean to I would be offering contrition. Something that is foreign to OP. He can't even admit to the ammunition or Tasha incidents. Unfortunately I don't think he killed a person he loved, I think he's missing something in that area. If he avoids jail this time I think we will see him in court again, for similar, I do not see him changing. I see his inner rage increasing as he finds he is unable to have the life he used to have, he will not be accepted as he was.
    Thanks wacky :)
    I don't think he killed the person he loved either .. despite his protestations.

I'm sure you're right .. I can't see his attitude changing. It certainly won't if he's allowed to serve his sentence at Uncle's house etc. I think he actually needs to be away from his family .. they don't help .. Carl especially.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    I have no idea what you are saying here. Your sons disability does not preclude him from making moral decisions does it ?

He's 9 years old (just), I don't expect him to be making moral decisions :confused: I do expect him to have sporting heroes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's 9 years old (just), I don't expect him to be making moral decisions :confused: I do expect him to have sporting heroes.

Would that also apply to kids who idolised lance Armstrong , OJ Simpson. The footballer done for rape etc ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely, there are plenty of heroic paralympians?
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Yes well, my point about the washing machine was that mistake should have been a learning experience that not every noise in the night is an ominous one. Unless he had PTSD at the time, and we are told he didn't.

If that was really the case then can you imagine the mess he left behind him each time the starter fired his gun :o
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    I can imagine, being so young must be confusing. Can I ask in what way did OP inspire your son? (with my not knowing your son's disability).

VACTERL Association. Not fun. Just to see someone with limb abnormalities do so well heartened him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    daziechain wrote: »

There most certainly is, and ones who play fair...In the spirit of the games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Of course - I named two earlier :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    VACTERL Association. Not fun. Just to see someone with limb abnormalities do so well heartened him.

What about Ellie Simmonds...fantastic role model ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Dear me, sorry to hear this :( I can see how OP must have lifted your son as I'm sure he will have done for millions throughout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You did indeed, and I have to ask why then is it such a problem ? Our heros sometimes have feet of clay , sad fact of life. :( does he know about the trial ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

Thanks for the link.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you believe it, opened up wikipedia and the pic is of Ellie with OP.

Edit: wow some achievements!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well then .. I'm sure they'll provide plenty of inspiration.

Oscar won't be featuring any longer I shouldn't think. Your son will find other people who are much more worthy of his admiration.
    It is a hard lesson for him to learn at his age but it's one we all have to learn eventually. Not all heroes live up to the title.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Dear me, sorry to hear this :( I can see how OP must have lifted your son as I'm sure he will have done for millions throughout.

Thanks

Can't quite believe you gave the ;-)
    benjamini wrote: »
    You did indeed, and I have to ask why then is it such a problem ? Our heros sometimes have feet of clay , sad fact of life. :( does he know about the trial ?

Just to repeat, he's 9. Think I'm done here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy .. I think it's Oscar you should be narky with .. not us .. we didn't ruin his reputation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks

Can't quite believe you gave the >:(

Just to repeat, he's 9. Think I'm done here

I feel I know where you're coming from. Hope your son goes from strength to strength x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then .. I'm sure they'll provide plenty of inspiration.

Oscar won't be featuring any longer I shouldn't think. Your son will find other people who are much more worthy of his admiration.
    It is a hard lesson for him to learn at his age but it's one we all have to learn eventually. Not all heroes live up to the title.

Okay, thought I was done but my young son has had 20 operations in his short life & faces many more but 'well then' he'll move on & learn his lesson. Ta.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy .. I think it's Oscar you should be narky with .. not us .. we didn't ruin his reputation.

Clearly Lucy has a lot to deal with and she has my sympathy. It's always problematic to personalise things. I agree her anger would be better directed to OP who failed as a role model for her son. :confused:
This discussion has been closed.