Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Haven't a clue how things work legally etc but surely Judges have some sort of supervisory body etc where they can get advice etc (I doubt Judges know every aspect of law inside and out)...perhaps because of the negativity the Judge seems to have attracted there are some already in the wings...

You never know an adviser could advise a hefty jail term.

Maybe the only one who has broken the law is the judge. ;-)
  • Options
    stressfree_manstressfree_man Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ian _ L wrote: »
    Just got the sugar reference :o ;-)

It was subtle,for me! :D
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still admire OP for the way he had beaten all the odds and became successful, in spite of or because of his disability - it took determination, guts and hard work to achieve his sporting success. But that is the only thing I can give him credit for.

His sporting achievements aside I see a man for whom I have very little respect for, if any. If he had manned up and taken a modicum of responsibility...

Well said in regard to your first paragraph. I've said on here a few times that his sporting achievements can't be taken away. Didn't go down too well when I said it..
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    So many found it very upsetting OP being presented as a victim.

It may be upsetting but their job is to keep him out of jail. That's their objective. Not to protect his image. His image is worthless if he's in a prison cell. Whilst it may be difficult for some to even consider him a victim.. it's their defence that he is a victim of circumstance and that is what they're hoping the judge agrees with. It's just the other side of the argument. Oscar is their client.. no one else.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Well said in regard to your first paragraph. I've said on here a few times that his sporting achievements can't be taken away. Didn't go down too well when I said it..

Never will with me, no matter what he's done since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    Maybe the only one who has broken the law is the judge. ;-)

Wouldn't like to say even if I had a clue. I'm still hoping she proves herself on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    I can Moody. Even if it is 5 years he has solid grounds to feel confident of being successful. I would guess that he has the backing of most of the SA judiciary because she made errors on the safe/ammo charge as well as errors in how she came to the CH finding. These things need clarity for future cases and if that is not obtained it will play havock with case laws in future as well as give cart blanche to lawyers and criminals in future

I hope you're right ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be upsetting but their job is to keep him out of jail. That's their objective. Not to protect his image. His image is worthless if he's in a prison cell. Whilst it may be difficult for some to even consider him a victim.. it's their defence that he is a victim of circumstance and that is what they're hoping the judge agrees with. It's just the other side of the argument. Oscar is their client.. no one else.

Good post.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really regret that posters feel intimidated away from posting. If it was not for differing opinions then a forum will not work.
    However I feel that confrontation is also healthy for debate as long as it is not personal and balanced with a degree of respect.
    Forum's are not for everyone and sometimes posters need to grow some :)

Indeed.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like many sporting greats his own base behaviour has forever superseded and overshadowed whatever he achieved. His legacy is sadly a dead innocent woman shot by him. He is already. Being written out of the sporting hall of fame like many before and and many who will follow.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Cited in Sporting News.

When his prosthetic legs caused alarms to blare at Schiphol airport in 2008, and traces of an explosive substance were discovered on his body, Pistorius was detained in a cell as a suspected terrorist.

“It wasn’t until later that I realized what had happened. I’d been clay pigeon shooting with a friend. Traces of dust from the shots must have got onto my legs,” Pistorius explained in his autobiography
  • Options
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    Like many sporting greats his own base behaviour has forever superseded and overshadowed whatever he achieved. His legacy is sadly a dead innocent woman shot by him. He is already. Being written out of the sporting hall of fame like many before and and many who will follow.

Yes Simon Magakwe is the new record beating athlete in SA already, he was a better runner then OP before 2012 games too.

OP's records have been beaten on the track by Simon, and off the track by OP himself, he shoots quicker then he runs.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still admire OP for the way he had beaten all the odds and became successful, in spite of or because of his disability - it took determination, guts and hard work to achieve his sporting success. But that is the only thing I can give him credit for.

His sporting achievements aside I see a man for whom I have very little respect for, if any. If he had manned up and taken a modicum of responsibility...
    Well .. exactly .. no-one can take his sporting achievements away. But inevitably .. he won't be remembered for those .. or he'll mainly be remembered for this tragedy anyway (and there may be worse to come for all we know .. I'm not sure he has learnt anything.)

I was reading Clare Balding's latest book and she talks there about OP .. she had got on with him famously on first meeting him .. so much so that he asked her to chair his press conference .. but then was totally stunned by what went on after Alan Oliveira beat him. Not particularly his outburst afterwards (though she makes mention of the fact that he had plenty of time to cool down before speaking and says that he said stuff about 'not wanting to take anything away from Alan' and then proceeded to do just that) but more what happened after the Pistorius PR machine kicked in .. that ridiculous show of what was supposed to be penitence on the rostrum (slicked back hair, head down and black rimmed spectacles etc.) She then said that for his final race he was back swaggering with the sponsered sunglasses on his head again. I think she was fully of the impression that he was a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde character and that she hadn't in fact known him at all.

If I had shot and killed the person I love .. then they could do what they wanted with me .. my life would be over anyway. I don't get that from him .. quite the opposite. He's suffered enough and just wants to get back to doing what he was doing before the incident .. it's all been terribly inconvenient for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daziechain wrote: »
    Well .. exactly .. no-one can take his sporting achievements away. But inevitably .. he won't be remembered for those .. or he'll mainly be remembered for this tragedy anyway (and there may be worse to come for all we know .. I'm not sure he has learnt anything.)

I was reading Clare Balding's latest book and she talks there about OP .. she had got on with him famously on first meeting him .. so much so that he asked her to chair his press conference .. but then was totally stunned by what went on after Alan Oliveira beat him. Not particularly his outburst afterwards (though she makes mention of the fact that he had plenty of time to cool down before speaking and says that he said stuff about 'not wanting to take anything away from Alan' and then proceeded to do just that) but more what happened after the Pistorius PR machine kicked in .. that ridiculous show of what was supposed to be penitence on the rostrum (slicked back hair, head down and black rimmed spectacles etc.) She then said that for his final race he was back swaggering with the sponsered sunglasses on his head again. I think she was fully of the impression that he was a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde character and that she hadn't in fact known him at all.

If I had shot and killed the person I love .. then they could do what they wanted with me .. my life would be over anyway. I don't get that from him .. quite the opposite. He's suffered enough and just wants to get back to doing what he was doing before the incident .. it's all been terribly inconvenient for him.

Good post daziechain and tend to agree with much, if not all.

I also doubt that he's learnt very little from all this. If he walks on Tuesday his arrogance will know no bounds :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Qualifying for 2012 Games...OP short of marks. Dated 16.04.2012

http://www.southafrica.info/news/sport/athletes-160412.htm#.VEQjzH3TVcs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

That was a disgrace. Commented upon at the time .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »

Link doesn't work, sorry.
  • Options
    daziechaindaziechain Posts: 12,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post daziechain and tend to agree with much, if not all.

I also doubt that he's learnt very little from all this. If he walks on Tuesday his arrogance will know no bounds :(
    Quite. But Nel will definitely appeal that surely?

If there is cheering from the Pistorius camp then I think I'll need a green bucket!!
  • Options
    Ian _ LIan _ L Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Castaway" is starting on beeb two
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The other side of the argument is, what danger is the defence team putting their client in whether in jail or outside by presenting him as a victim considering what exactly this case is about.
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not that simple. My 9 year old son is disabled & OP was a hero to him in 2012. (As were Richard Armitage, Johnny Peacock & others) I now have a hard time explaining what's happened but there's no taking away he inspired my son.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that simple. My 9 year old son is disabled & OP was a hero to him in 2012. (As were Richard Armitage, Johnny Peacock & others) I now have a hard time explaining what's happened but there's no taking away he inspired my son.

Personally I see no dilemma. Great disabled sportsman on the one hand, girlfriend killer on the other. One clearly cancels out the other . I'm sure there are millions of better role models for your son. It really is that simple....for me and most others. Which is why he will never be accepted into any sporting event ever again. He failed everyone, especially your son and other young children .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Quite. But Nel will definitely appeal that surely?

If there is cheering from the Pistorius camp then I think I'll need a green bucket!!

and if it's 3 years house arrest and 16 hours a month mopping and dusting what punishment and restitution for gross negligence is that. :(:confused: You'd get stiffer and prison for causing accidental death by dangerous/speeding in the UK
  • Options
    wackywwackyw Posts: 1,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

< stuff snipped for brevity>

Good post Dazie, best today by a mile.

Paragraph above - I agree with you. If I had killed anyone I didn't actually mean to I would be offering contrition. Something that is foreign to OP. He can't even admit to the ammunition or Tasha incidents. Unfortunately I don't think he killed a person he loved, I think he's missing something in that area. If he avoids jail this time I think we will see him in court again, for similar, I do not see him changing. I see his inner rage increasing as he finds he is unable to have the life he used to have, he will not be accepted as he was.
  • Options
    Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Personally I see no dilemma. Great disabled sportsman on the one hand, girlfriend killer on the other. One clearly cancels out the other . I'm sure there are millions of better role models for your son. It really is that simple....for me and most others. Which is why he will never be accepted into any sporting event ever again. He failed everyone, especially your son and other young children .

Seconded :cool:
This discussion has been closed.