Options

Retail workers - what do customers do that annoys you? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    callum9999 wrote: »
    I hate it when the customers just stand there watching you scan the items, watch you standing there typing in any price changes, entering gift vouchers etc. then just say "are you going to give me a bag then" when the bags are on the counter in front of them. Someone even said to me "these items aren't going to back themselves"!

Once I've finished the transaction, I happily help the customers finish packing but its irritating when they just stand there expecting you to do it all automatically while a big queue is growing behind them.

pmsl, sorry but that is so f'kin rude! Honestly, I don't know how you guys restrain yourself I really don't! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a sale, obviously, and of course there's going to be some customers that cannot tell the furniture without the sale price isn't actually a sale item.

"how much is this?"
    "its blah blah full price"
    "not in the sale then?"
    "no its full price, just a display item"
    "even though its damaged?"

so what?! its our display, honestly
    and the ones who ask for more money off, even though its 50% or less down already

there was a candlestick £2 in the sale, had a tiny chip, customer wanted more.. its already 2 quid! jesus
  • Options
    rossm2008rossm2008 Posts: 823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me: The total value of the order is £29.99 including postage and packaging
    Customer: I have a voucher for £10 off, how much does that reduce it to?

GOOD GRIEF.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? If its company policy to allow customised burgers (I say customised - in reality its just making one without onions, gherkins or sauce - hardly a chore) why should they go somewhere else when they want to pay for a MacDonalds burger?

I agree with this- I work in McDonalds and have no problem with people ordering custom burgers- what annoys me is the people who order custom burgers then moan when they have to wait for them. They have to be made from scratch, so in a way it is a bit of a chore, but if a customer is willing to wait and not threaten the staff and be abusive then fine.

Another annoying thing is when I repeatedly call a customer to my till and they just look at me like I'm are talking a foreign language- then get annoyed when someone else comes to the till!
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to regularly ask for "special orders" in McDonalds (usually no pickle/gherkin) not just because I don't like gherkin but mainly because it was the only way to get a decently hot burger.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zoe_lou wrote: »
    Just had a sale, obviously, and of course there's going to be some customers that cannot tell the furniture without the sale price isn't actually a sale item.

"how much is this?"
    "its blah blah full price"
    "not in the sale then?"
    "no its full price, just a display item"
    "even though its damaged?"

so what?! its our display, honestly
    and the ones who ask for more money off, even though its 50% or less down already

there was a candlestick £2 in the sale, had a tiny chip, customer wanted more.. its already 2 quid! jesus

I also get people insisting something is 50p when the sticker actually says 50% off. And people change their mind about buying something so just dump it on the sale table so I get people picking it up and insisting its in the sale when it actually isn't.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    roland rat wrote: »
    I would have thought the t-shirt would have gave him away

It's rare in my local HMV.
    They don't wear uniforms...

But that's not the point is it? We're not talking about whether my mother is stupid or not for asking that question (but like I said, they don't wear uniforms), it's his answer we're talking about...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    ceb1988 wrote: »
    I agree with this- I work in McDonalds and have no problem with people ordering custom burgers- what annoys me is the people who order custom burgers then moan when they have to wait for them. They have to be made from scratch, so in a way it is a bit of a chore, but if a customer is willing to wait and not threaten the staff and be abusive then fine.

Another annoying thing is when I repeatedly call a customer to my till and they just look at me like I'm are talking a foreign language- then get annoyed when someone else comes to the till!

Yeah exactly, I've worked for McDonalds and KFC and didn't mind making custom burgers. Plus when I worked at KFC most of the time all our burgers were made up to order (we were very quiet!) so it didn't make much difference really.

The one thing that annoyed me at McD's though was the whole "no salt on the fries please" thing. Would involve wiping down the fry station, possibly binning the fries that were there, cooking fresh fries etc, and then to have the customer say "can i have some salt please?":rolleyes:
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    I was very annoyed at something yesterday, but I ended up feeling really bitter and petty because of it. (Sorry, it's not customer related)

As usual at Christmas, we have 90% of the store team going above and beyond their normal duties and working as hard as they can because it's exceptionally busy. But you always get those few who refuse to do anything other than what they usually do. They don't respond when calls go out for extra staff at the checkouts, they don't support the checkouts by responding to calls for replacement products and such.

There one who works on fresh, we'll call her Amy, who is particularly bad - they just will not do anything to help any of their colleagues out (though, if the shoe was on the other foot, they automatically expect it from others).

I was standing near the manager and a customer came along and said "I want to praise one of your staff called Amy - she was wonderful! I asked her where the goosefat was and she actually took me to the place and showed me! You should reward her!"

So Amy gets a bottle of wine for actually doing what we're all expected to do anyways whilst the rest of us are running around like something possessed, most of us on overtime, sweat dripping from us! I was so annoyed.

Tell me about it. It's always the lazy/useless types who seem to be rewarded when they do that once in a blue moon favour.
  • Options
    TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also get people insisting something is 50p when the sticker actually says 50% off. And people change their mind about buying something so just dump it on the sale table so I get people picking it up and insisting its in the sale when it actually isn't.

How blind can people be?! :eek:
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I used to work in a pound shop. Not it wasn't one of those shops where some things are a pound, or it's just a cheap shop, everything was a pound, the shop was even called "Everythings £1"

Amazing how many people used to ask how much things were

Or, of course the incredibly original* "Eeh, do you only get paid a pound an hour?"

*original in as I was asked it about 20 times a day.
  • Options
    LAW ENFORCEMENTLAW ENFORCEMENT Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    From working in Greggs i've had that a few times. If the customer is nice about it then i'll get their extra change when the till drawer is next open. (My area of shops don't allow tills to be open for extra change...so they have to wait for the next sale to go through..not sure why).
    However, if the customer is an arse about the whole thing...I quickly direct them to the company policy that change can not be rectified after leaving the shop (if the customer has obviously left and then came back in a flame of shouting etc).
    Greggs is one place i've noticed that has ignorants in all the time.

If the customer could prove they have been short changed they could sue greggs for the owed amount, the company policy is effectively void.
  • Options
    nightsun1500nightsun1500 Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a new supermarket will be opening in my local high street? How do i apply for a position of retail assistant? Its an Iceland shop.
    Is there anyone on here who got there job from the opening of a new supermarket? Do any other retail workers have any advice on how should apply?
  • Options
    garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    a new supermarket will be opening in my local high street? How do i apply for a position of retail assistant? Its an Iceland shop.
    Is there anyone on here who got there job from the opening of a new supermarket? Do any other retail workers have any advice on how should apply?

Check the website, if its a new store it should be advertised at the jobcentre too, or go into an older store and get an application form from them
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the customer could prove they have been short changed they could sue greggs for the owed amount, the company policy is effectively void.

I can never quite remember the laws on money, but I know there are all sorts of things. You can refuse to be paid more than XXp in certain denominations for example. And, isn't it also the case that you do not have to be given change if you don't tender the correct amount.

Of course, few places - if any - wouldn't give change - but if they didn't, could they be done in court?
  • Options
    TheBoingoBanditTheBoingoBandit Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to work in a pound shop. Not it wasn't one of those shops where some things are a pound, or it's just a cheap shop, everything was a pound, the shop was even called "Everythings £1"

Or, of course the incredibly original* "Eeh, do you only get paid a pound an hour?"

*original in as I was asked it about 20 times a day.

If you had a pound for every time someone said that! ;)
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not quite as easy as that though is it. Not even looking at laws; a customer could also try and sue saying they handed over a £20 note when they only handed over say £5. So it kind of works both ways. We have plenty of customers trying to con us out of more money anyhow. However, most customers who have been unfortunately short changed never want to wait around for the till to be checked, as it can take some time.
    I see what your saying...but how would you prove you'd been short changed anyway?
    If we look at it that way...anyone would easily try and pull that off. I could go into Morrisons tomorrow and demand they give me my £5 back that i'm not even owed.
    From working in retail, i've known some tills to rarely add up to what they're supposed to. So if someone claims they're owed £1.52...and the till is only over £1.18...then they'll be told thats impossible.
    Usually a customer notices straight away...but many know that if you notice either after the shop is closed or much later after that (which has happened) then it's rare a company will cough up, as their could be many mistakes as I mentioned.
    I guess from the customers POV you have a point...however knowing how some people are (a minority thankfully); from a company's stand point...they could also claim the customer is wrong and claim that they are attempting to claim money that is not their's. It just depends how you look at it. This is one situation where the customer is most definately not always right.
    I guess the advice is always check your change before you leave :)
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often I work on the self-scan, and in our store we do not actually sign into the computer any more, so we are not just there pushing the buttons on the screen.

This does give us more time to watch the customers, and the amount of times I see customers trying to get away with not paying for items is ridiculous. They then rant an rave about how the stupid machine is not working:rolleyes:.

I know our machines could be programmed better, but I've seen customers deliberately not scan an item and stick it into a bag on the floor...it is only because they have difficulty then scanning the next item that they get caught out!

Of course while I'm caught up having to figure out what item someone has not scanned out of 5 bags of shopping, other customers who genuinely need help are left standing around, and this is especially annoying when it is busy and I am the only one on the self-scan!
  • Options
    BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member
    What's the point of a self-scanner? They need a member of staff there anyway to watch over things so they're not saving money on paying someone's wages. They might as well have the staff member on a checkout!

Or am I just misinformed?
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    What's the point of a self-scanner? They need a member of staff there anyway to watch over things so they're not saving money on paying someone's wages. They might as well have the staff member on a checkout!

In our tesco one member of staff watches four tills.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1 staff member for 8 self scan checkouts
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Those pound shops are a farce these days what with the recent 2.5% off VAT, I was expecting Poundland to be called 97.5p Land :p
  • Options
    zippydoodahzippydoodah Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when the customers just stand there watching you scan the items, watch you standing there typing in any price changes, entering gift vouchers etc. then just say "are you going to give me a bag then" when the bags are on the counter in front of them. Someone even said to me "these items aren't going to back themselves"!

Once I've finished the transaction, I happily help the customers finish packing but its irritating when they just stand there expecting you to do it all automatically while a big queue is growing behind them.

Your lucky some people say something when I use to work for Safeway on the express checkout, I use to get people use both of their hands to point to the bagging area.

Another gripe back then was the 10 items or less till but we would get 3 people who would shop together and buy about 30 seperate products on the same transaction, would assume quite happily to go to the express till with their trolley as 30 seperate products divided by 3 people would make the 10 items or less threshold.

Well, I'm sorry if there was ten of you with a big trolley of 100 items doesn't mean you can use the express till! ...and relax :)
  • Options
    boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a queue in McDonalds just before Christmas. It was busy but not that busy. There were two custmers in front of me at this one particular till. There were another two or three open. The lad serving the line I was in was finishing and asked the next person to go to the next till, it was now free, which they did. It was the woman in front of me now to be served but she ignored the girl and and started calling this lad who was cleaning up a little sh*t. The girl asked the woman not to use tht langauage and for her order but she was going get me that little sh*t, who does he think he is walking off, lazy effing sh*t. I asked the girl if she'd like to serve me and this beast gave me the dirtiest look then odered a Happy Meal for her little un who witnessed it all. He must be proud of his mum.

It's the same where I work. We have 5 computers, but only 3 are actual tills. The othe two are for reports, inventory and what not. So if there are 3 serving and a fourth staff member doing other work and a customer ignores the queue and stands infront of a computer with no till demanding to be served, I'm like not if you want you change you won't be.
  • Options
    GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in a Café/Restaurant, we have a changing rota so one hour your on the till one hour you're giving food out. I was on the till but was being swapped for giving the food out, so I just get to the food section.

Customer: Can I have tomato soup
    Me: Sorry we have ran out of tomato soup
    Customer: But you said you have tomato soup
    Me: No I didn't
    Customer: I came here 10minutes ago and asked if you had any tomato soup and you said you did
    Me: I wasn't here 10 minutes ago
    Customer: How long for the tomato soup
    Me: Sold out, would you like this carrot soup?
    Customer: *sigh* okay then but you should never told me there was tomato soup
    Me: sigh..
This discussion has been closed.