Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    JohnW wrote: »
    I'm getting rather bored with all this will they/ won't they have ads etc. Endless speculation gets us nowhere. Until we see what really happens it all seems o bit pointless. Anti-BBC or anti-SKY sentiment being aired over and over again is a waste of time and space.

Mind you that's nothing compared with rubbish on Twitter. People still asking if F1 will be on BBC, and whether they need Sky Sports subscription.

There's still the ongoing conundrum of whether SS F1 will be on BT Vision or Virgin Media. It would be in Sky's best interests to put the channel on BT Vision and Virgin, but will there be a similar deal as the one there is on Sky i.e. Virgin customers who have a HD subscription or Sports Pack (or whatever they call it on Virgin) get SS F1 free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    There's still the ongoing conundrum of whether SS F1 will be on BT Vision or Virgin Media. It would be in Sky's best interests to put the channel on BT Vision and Virgin, but will there be a similar deal as the one there is on Sky i.e. Virgin customers who have a HD subscription or Sports Pack (or whatever they call it on Virgin) get SS F1 free.

Would help if it would be available where it was - Freesat HD
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    From what I've read the channel will be made available on Virgin.
    It would be in Sky's best interests to put the channel on BT Vision and Virgin

No it's not, they would prefer to sell directly to customers directly using their own hardware. They are forced to sell SS1 and SS2 at a wholesale price
  • Options
    andy-iandy-i Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    Again comparing two things that cannot really be compared.
    A Sky production that owes them little money, or a sport that they are paying a lot of money for the rights, and in order to recoup this extra cost, they need to get more subscribers (who are not willing to pay for the full sports package, hence the F1 channel available without the sports pack) so they will have to show more ads to get a return.

Why do you keep harping on about Sky struggling to recoup their "massive" outlay?

The £45M per year that Sky Sports have spent on F1 is a small fraction of their overall budget. The premier league contract alone costs tens times as much

If you add production costs of say £10M. (i dont know how much they are, maybe arisuk could help) then thats £55M a year.

With the cheapest F1 deal for a new customer being £363 a year, they only need 150,000 new subscribers. That's eminently plausible and i'm sure they will get some take up of sky sports as well.

Also, we know you hate football but how can you assume that all F1 fans have no interest in other sports. I know plenty who do.

In your parallel universe Sky may drop F1 but in the real world this is a very nice deal for them and they will not be dropping F1.
  • Options
    JohnWJohnW Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Article in The Times today saying that Sky are front-runners to rescue WRC, after the arrest of its rights holder. Could be more motor sport for Sky, although ESPN currently hold the broadcasting rights.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone had the F1 2011 DVD season review come in the post yet? One or two people on the Autosport forum have.

I'm going to get it on Boxing Day.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    To follow on from DMN's post, anyone know if there's any difference between the DVD and blu ray versions?
  • Options
    LP ROBINSONLP ROBINSON Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Anyone had the F1 2011 DVD season review come in the post yet? One or two people on the Autosport forum have.

My blu ray copy arrived on Tuesday.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    When there was race refueling, I could understand the differences.... but nowadays I fail to see the difference in dangers between practice and race.

The difference is just over 20 miles per hour, plus a bit of extra urgency during the race. But I agree, it still seems too casual in the pits during practice.

As for the race, the less people in the pits, the better - I don't think even FOM camera people should be out in the pits during the race, and a sport like F1 should surely have come up with a better solution to keeping the pneumatic hoses and wrench out of the way than a couple of mechanics to hold them.
  • Options
    F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mine arrived in the post today, ordered from Amazon.
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    To follow on from DMN's post, anyone know if there's any difference between the DVD and blu ray versions?
    I haven't checked yet myself but the F1Fanatic review says, "The Blu-Ray edition offers an hour of extra features", one of them being the story of the Chinese GP told solely through team radio broadcasts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had ordered online now, I didn't order online because I didn't think it would come till the 27th or 28th!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    F1-Addict wrote: »
    Mine arrived in the post today, ordered from Amazon.

I haven't checked yet myself but the F1Fanatic review says, "The Blu-Ray edition offers an hour of extra features", one of them being the story of the Chinese GP told solely through team radio broadcasts.

Cheers, just wondering because downstairs (big tv) has blu ray, and my room (small tv) just has a DVD player, so was wondering if there was anything extra, anything different etc which might sway me either way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JohnW wrote: »
    Article in The Times today saying that Sky are front-runners to rescue WRC, after the arrest of its rights holder. Could be more motor sport for Sky, although ESPN currently hold the broadcasting rights.

Not seen the article, but I was under the impression that it was rights-holders' parent company that have entered administration. I'd have thought that the rights holders themselves, North One Sports, would be most likely to be sold by the administrators as a going concern, in which case all current contracts would go across with it, both between the FIA and them, and them and the various broadcasters.
  • Options
    davepuseydavepusey Posts: 6,112
    Forum Member

My blu-ray came yesterday from Amazon.

Just about to watch it actually.
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this the way the thread is going, seriously? Every tiny little detail debated over at length for the good of the "side" that you happen to be on?
    C'monnnnnnn

I reckon the disk everyone must be receiving is actually...

Anyway..to all the GOOD denizens of DSF1 ...Mongo say's, ...You have Merry Christmas
    Jp
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It makes no mention to adverts at all.

Sorry - but is that your apology about the fact they have never said all sessions would be ad-free and then changed their minds ??

Anyway - what was very interesting for me about the Beebs SPOTY coverage last night was the virtual total lack of F1 coverage apart from a very short piece on Vettel - also a seeming lack of F1 people in the crowd other than Horner. If Button etc were there - they werent shown in the whole two hours.

The shape of things to come at the BBC for F1 maybe ?
  • Options
    dansusdansus Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonpollak wrote: »

Nice work, happy holidays Jp.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Sorry - but is that your apology about the fact they have never said all sessions would be ad-free and then changed their minds ??

Anyway - what was very interesting for me about the Beebs SPOTY coverage last night was the virtual total lack of F1 coverage apart from a very short piece on Vettel - also a seeming lack of F1 people in the crowd other than Horner. If Button etc were there - they werent shown in the whole two hours.

The shape of things to come at the BBC for F1 maybe ?

Si Jackie Stewart was there, as I'm sure were others. Just because they're not shown doesn't mean they're not there. A bit hard to show everyone famous who's there in such a big crowd, with alot of the time being dedicated to talking to the contenders, winners of the other awards, and various videos. For me you absolutely can't make any sort of assumption on the BBC F1 coverage in the future based on the number of people in the sport who were shown on TV at SPOTY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee McKenzie was there, Martin Brundle was not there.
  • Options
    PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it is was not an apology of any sort. It is an observation that the first press release does not mention anything about adverts, but the second one does, and only states that the race itself would only be advert free.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Add in the fact that it was a Thursday night with a workday on the Friday, compared to the more usual Last Sunday before Christmas, with no work on the Monday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway - what was very interesting for me about the Beebs SPOTY coverage last night was the virtual total lack of F1 coverage apart from a very short piece on Vettel - also a seeming lack of F1 people in the crowd other than Horner.

Not many sports had a longer piece - football was quickly brushed over, with the exception of the Manchester clubs who got a lengthy VT.

Cricket seemed to have a fair bit of coverage, but then there were two cricketers in the main nominations and a cricketing team winner.

Tennis seemed to have very little coverage outside of the Andy Murray nomination and Djokovic victory clips.
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    SPOTY isn't a review of the year anymore, its based pretty much exclusively around the ten people shortlisted for the main SPOTY award.
  • Options
    MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Given these decisions were forced on them by an outside party, how could they - in your view - have acted less appalingly?
    By openly admitting at the start they'd only spoken to Sky. It's disgusting they didn't speak to Channel 4 or ITV. I am lucky as I have Sky HD and can watch the ten non-live BBC races with them but many others aren't lucky. A ten-ten split with Channel 4 or ITV would have been MUCH better. And I'm a BBC fan too, to me it's the greatest TV corporation in the world but I am genuinely disappointed they didn't consult the other channels for the sake of the fans who can't afford Sky.
This discussion has been closed.