Options

BBC F1 Coverage - 2011 Season: The Verdict (Part 5)

Comments

• Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,747
    Forum Member
    jb26 wrote: »
    If you go by the standard protocol nowadays, there are breaks every 15 minutes (give or take).

Assuming there are 30 minutes of pre/post session waffling:

13:27 Break after previous programme.
    13:30 Start of pre-show.
    13:42 Break
    13:57 Break
    14:00 Start of Session.
    14:15 Break
    14:30 Break
    14:45 Break
    15:00 Break
    15:15 Break
    15:30 End of Session.
    15:32 Break
    15:45 Break
    15:57 Off-air, Break.
    16:00 Next programme.

So the peacock does have a point, if Sky have gone back on their word not to have uninterrupted practice sessions.

Utter, utter garbage. Sky have two ad breaks in a 90 minute Goals on Sunday programme. If they can get away with that, why would they put any more in during an F1 practice session and cut away from on-track 'action'?

Anyone who says practice will be rammed full of ad breaks (i.e. you and peacock) either doesn't watch much sport on Sky, or has an agenda. Most likely a mixture of both.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Ben Edwards is in amongst the SPOTY crowd? Jackie Stewart is, he was briefly interviewed there on The One Show. I hope Wheldon and Simoncelli get mentions.
  • Options
    F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, the number one priority of Sky's coverage is to show every moment of practice, qualifying and the race from each grand prix. Sky Deutschland managed to do it and they didn't have a dedicated F1 channel. There's only 7 hours max of on track action at each race, it's not much to ask of a subscription service for it all to be shown live. And whichever way you look at it, ads in practice is a step backwards from the BBC's coverage and Sky won't want that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice Ferrari video on the Sky website: http://www.skysports.com/skysportsnews/video/0,,13987_7391914,00.html - not often you get a interview with di Montezemolo, it looks like a Sky interview piece based on the fact Craig Slater went out to Italy. Looks like he'll be another F1 reporter for Sky Sports News.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ some rubbish in the last couple of pages BBC/Sky/anything bashing to a new level.

IF Sky in a PRACTICE session take a couple breaks in an hour & a half when 1 car is on track or there is red flag. Big deal.

You find Practice in first 10-15 mins is like the old 1 hour Qualifying no one comes on to track really, maybe only for an installation lap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I wonder if Ben Edwards is in amongst the SPOTY crowd? Jackie Stewart is, he was briefly interviewed there on The One Show. I hope Wheldon and Simoncelli get mentions.

F1 and MotoGP were skimmed over in about 90 seconds with no mention for Wheldon or Simoncelli. Disappointing.

(although both were mentioned in the obituaries section at the end)
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ some rubbish in the last couple of pages BBC/Sky/anything bashing to a new level.

IF Sky in a PRACTICE session take a couple breaks in an hour & a half when 1 car is on track or there is red flag. Big deal.

You find Practice in first 10-15 mins is like the old 1 hour Qualifying no one comes on to track really, maybe only for an installation lap.

In first practice it's, if anything, a lot longer than 15 minutes before anything really meaningful happens...
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    F1 and MotoGP were skimmed over in about 90 seconds with no mention for Wheldon or Simoncelli. Disappointing.

No mention of Dario either.

I was half hoping Leena Gade might of got a mention especially as the BBC seemed desperate to talk up women in sport at every opportunity. Jake's link at the beginning was particularly cringeworthy.
  • Options
    PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [...]
    BTW Saying that one broadcaster is definitively the better choice over the other is a matter of opinion. I might think Sky's coverage of practice will be better as they'll have more analysis of practice presumably.
    That was purely my opinion, based on what I want. Others may not agree though.
    I hope they have a camera down with Ted and Natalie in practice sessions and are actually allowed to switch to it during the practice sessions if they are interviewing someone or if he wants to show something. Not sure if it's possible to do that and (somehow) keep the FOM graphics in shot.

Also, re legends I hope they interview some 'journeymen' - because in theory they may have better stories than the legends, ie the Frentzen's and Panis's of the world.
    Would that be allowed during the sessions? Thought the pitlane became out of bounds to TV crews, except for the FOM crew, during live sessions on safety grounds.
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    Utter, utter garbage. Sky have two ad breaks in a 90 minute Goals on Sunday programme. If they can get away with that, why would they put any more in during an F1 practice session and cut away from on-track 'action'?

Anyone who says practice will be rammed full of ad breaks (i.e. you and peacock) either doesn't watch much sport on Sky, or has an agenda. Most likely a mixture of both.
    Again comparing two things that cannot really be compared.
    A Sky production that owes them little money, or a sport that they are paying a lot of money for the rights, and in order to recoup this extra cost, they need to get more subscribers (who are not willing to pay for the full sports package, hence the F1 channel available without the sports pack) so they will have to show more ads to get a return.
  • Options
    dsweetenhamdsweetenham Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Sky production that owes them little money, or a sport that they are paying a lot of money for the rights, and in order to recoup this extra cost, they need to get more subscribers (who are not willing to pay for the full sports package, hence the F1 channel available without the sports pack) so they will have to show more ads to get a return.

How about getting shared rights with the BBC to an event with a terrestrial tradition...

The US Masters golf where SKY cut their ad breaks to 60 seconds in duration. Is that more comparable for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Comparing two Sky programmes of 90 minutes in length is a hell of a lot more accurate than you saying they will have tonnes of ad breaks for no reason other than you want them to so it proves a point.

All due respect, but you are just pulling stuff out of thin air and stating it as a fact to try and prove a point now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But virtually every other commercial channel has 4 breaks per hour, every 15 minutes.

This is all a moot point anyway because Sky said on the day of the announcement that all sessions would be live and uninterrupted*.

We are merely speculating on what may, or more than likely won't, happen. Unless and until any announcement to the contrary is made, all of Sky's output will be uninterrupted* for all sessions.

* - in terms of commercial breaks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be allowed during the sessions? Thought the pitlane became out of bounds to TV crews, except for the FOM crew, during live sessions on safety grounds.

Well Ted is definitely in the pitlane during the race and so have other pitlane reporters over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But virtually every other commercial channel has 4 breaks per hour, every 15 minutes.

This is all a moot point anyway because Sky said on the day of the announcement that all sessions would be live and uninterrupted*.

We are merely speculating on what may, or more than likely won't, happen. Unless and until any announcement to the contrary is made, all of Sky's output will be uninterrupted* for all sessions.

But Sky have considerably fewer ad breaks than ITV during football and cricket coverage. With the subscriptions they are obviously less reliant on ad breaks. Obviously it is speculation, but based on coverage of other sports there is absolutely no way they have the 5 ad breaks in a 90 minute session you think they will have.

And have Sky ever said all sessions would be uninterrupted? That link you posted on the rpevious page is from the F1 website, and I don't *believe* Sky themselves have ever stated anything other than the race would be advert-free. Please correct me if I am wrong though.
  • Options
    allthingsukallthingsuk Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member

I didn't watch SPOTY but I'm very disappointed to hear this. There must've been some sort of honorary award, maybe the Helen Rollason Award, to go to Dan Wheldon.
    How about getting shared rights with the BBC to an event with a terrestrial tradition...

The US Masters golf where SKY cut their ad breaks to 60 seconds in duration. Is that more comparable for you?

Maybe F1 could do ad-breaks like in cricket. Cut away from the action quickly with short sponsorship stings, couple of ads, sponsorship sting, and back to the action.

Also, re legends I hope they interview some 'journeymen' - because in theory they may have better stories than the legends, ie the Frentzen's and Panis's of the world.

I think Jean Alesi would be a very good choice - would be interesting to get his opinion on a rather torturous five seasons at Ferrari and his sheer unluckiness, as well as his time at Benetton, and why he turned down an opportunity to drive for Williams for 1991 (God knows what Alesi could have done in a Williams - might've been a multiple world champion).
    Well Ted is definitely in the pitlane during the race and so have other pitlane reporters over the years.

I don't think cameras are allowed in the pitlane for qualifying and the race but I don't know how it is for practice. I know that the BBC sometimes cut away from the world feed (maybe during highlights) to Lee McKenzie doing an interview with a driver who had retired from the grand prix.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ted doesn't go into the pitlane during the race, and nor does any other reporter.

He goes into the pit garages, but enters and leaves through the back (paddock-side) doors.
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch SPOTY but I'm very disappointed to hear this. There must've been some sort of honorary award, maybe the Helen Rollason Award, to go to Dan Wheldon.

To be fair to the BBC, the Helen Rollason Award went to Sir Frank Williams last year and they do try to spread it out between sports.

Also, it is more of an awards show these days - nothing is really dwelt on. They run through the ten nominees, give out the other awards and show the short 'flashback' packages of important moments throughout the year.

I know that Wheldon and Simoncelli died whilst giving their best to their sport, but in that format there simply isn't the time to reflect longer on two minority-interest sports.

Given how gushing the BBC have been over the years to the likes of Ballesteros and how much air-time (and column space) has been given over to the death of Gary Speed, they didn't get any more than the obituary package, so I'm afraid that Wheldon didn't stand a chance to get any more coverage.

Not trying to be disrespectful in the slightest to either of the great men who sadly passed away, but sadly it was wishful thinking for the Beeb to do any more than they did tonight.
  • Options
    alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Ted doesn't go into the pitlane during the race, and nor does any other reporter.

He goes into the pit garages, but enters and leaves through the back (paddock-side) doors.

Indeed, although I seem to remember during Brazil '08, he did venture out into pitlane, as it was ITV's last race. Probably wasn't the most dangerous thing he did that day either, after his antics with the Brazilian fans and a British flag earlier.

You can't compare Sky Sports and say ITV. Take the UCL final - ITV will go to commercials as soon as the trophy's lifted. Sky Sports will usually stay and soak up the atmosphere for quite a few minutes afterwards.
    A Sky production that owes them little money, or a sport that they are paying a lot of money for the rights, and in order to recoup this extra cost, they need to get more subscribers.

Goals on Sunday is based around the Premier League rights Sky paid in excess of a billion pounds for.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,684
    Forum Member
    Is this the way the thread is going, seriously? Every tiny little detail debated over at length for the good of the "side" that you happen to be on?
    C'monnnnnnn
    gomezz wrote: »
    Perhaps they could have Irvine and Barrichello in a "The True Champions Who Were Schafted By Their Team" feature? :D

I think Jos Verstappen might want in on that too!
    "Y u no give me Traction Control too, Flavio??"
    I'm almost certain there will be very, very little adverts for the flyaways anyway. Anyone that watched ITV F1 will know that there were very little adverts during the flyaway races - Australia in particular: http://jonmcknight.typepad.com/jon_mcknight/2008/03/itv-viewers-to.html (there were still 5 breaks during races, but only about 60/90 seconds long)

The only precedent in my experience with Sky has been A1GP, and they were always quite advert heavy during that even during the flyaway Asian races there...
  • Options
    davedpgdavedpg Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How was Ted able to get away with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcYnZeRc84
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    davedpg wrote: »
    How was Ted able to get away with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxcYnZeRc84

there are different restrictions and regulations on pitlane across practice and race sessions

you will notice that during practice, there are a lot of people in plain clothes.

When there was race refueling, I could understand the differences.... but nowadays I fail to see the difference in dangers between practice and race. I feel safety is a little too relaxed in practice sessions, and safety issues should be more recognised
  • Options
    PeacockAntonyPeacockAntony Posts: 626
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That is what they said on the day that they announced.
    On their press release website they have two different press releases:

The first one from 29 July 2011
    "The broadcasting partnership will include:
    - All races, qualifying and practice sessions live on Sky Sports across TV, Online and Mobile and Tablet devices.
    - Half the races and qualifying sessions remain live on BBC TV, Online and Mobile including key races such at the British Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season.
    - Extensive BBC highlights on TV, Online and Mobile, of all races and qualifying sessions that BBC is not covering live.
    - Build up coverage of each Grand Prix on BBC News, Sky Sports News and Sky News.
    - Extensive multi-platform coverage including red button, bbc.co.uk/sport and skysports.com"

It makes no mention to adverts at all.

The second press release from 25th November 2011 states:
    "From launch, Sky Sports F1TM HD will give viewers:
    - EVERY RACE LIVE: From March to November, every moment of each race will be live in HD, without the interruption of adverts.
    * LIVE PRACTICE & QUALIFYING: Every practice and qualifying session for each Grand Prix TM will be shown live on one channel, Sky Sports F1TM HD.
    * THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH: Over nine full months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.
    * EXTRA LIVE CONTENT: Through Sky's interactive service, fans can follow the action through
    on-board cameras, go behind the scenes with the teams in the pits, and follow race data, to
    take them further inside the sport."

This only refers to the race itself being advert free.
    So common sense tells you that everything else will be.
    Actual TV crews from the worldwide broadcasters, not reporters. Photographer got in to trouble for standing somewhere they should not have been in Korea this year, that is what has got me thinking.
    But Sky have considerably fewer ad breaks than ITV during football and cricket coverage. With the subscriptions they are obviously less reliant on ad breaks. Obviously it is speculation, but based on coverage of other sports there is absolutely no way they have the 5 ad breaks in a 90 minute session you think they will have.

And have Sky ever said all sessions would be uninterrupted? That link you posted on the rpevious page is from the F1 website, and I don't *believe* Sky themselves have ever stated anything other than the race would be advert-free. Please correct me if I am wrong though.
    They have said that there would be no adverts during the race NEXT YEAR, but nothing about Qualifying sessions and practice sessions, or indeed even the race in 2013.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,681
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    I fail to see the difference in dangers between practice and race
    TIme criticality.
  • Options
    F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,841
    Forum Member
    That is what they said on the day that they announced.
    On their press release website they have two different press releases:

The first one from 29 July 2011
    "The broadcasting partnership will include:
    - All races, qualifying and practice sessions live on Sky Sports across TV, Online and Mobile and Tablet devices.
    - Half the races and qualifying sessions remain live on BBC TV, Online and Mobile including key races such at the British Grand Prix, Monaco Grand Prix and the final race of the season.
    - Extensive BBC highlights on TV, Online and Mobile, of all races and qualifying sessions that BBC is not covering live.
    - Build up coverage of each Grand Prix on BBC News, Sky Sports News and Sky News.
    - Extensive multi-platform coverage including red button, bbc.co.uk/sport and skysports.com"

It makes no mention to adverts at all.

The second press release from 25th November 2011 states:
    "From launch, Sky Sports F1TM HD will give viewers:
    - EVERY RACE LIVE: From March to November, every moment of each race will be live in HD, without the interruption of adverts.
    * LIVE PRACTICE & QUALIFYING: Every practice and qualifying session for each Grand Prix TM will be shown live on one channel, Sky Sports F1TM HD.
    * THE FULL SEASON IN-DEPTH: Over nine full months, viewers will have a wealth of programmes with in-depth interviews, archive action and weekly magazine shows.
    * EXTRA LIVE CONTENT: Through Sky's interactive service, fans can follow the action through
    on-board cameras, go behind the scenes with the teams in the pits, and follow race data, to
    take them further inside the sport."

This only refers to the race itself being advert free.
    So common sense tells you that everything else will be.

Actual TV crews from the worldwide broadcasters, not reporters. Photographer got in to trouble for standing somewhere they should not have been in Korea this year, that is what has got me thinking.

They have said that there would be no adverts during the race NEXT YEAR, but nothing about Qualifying sessions and practice sessions, or indeed even the race in 2013.

This is the reply of a juvenile. Yea sure they will introduce ads in 2013, that would make loads of sense....
  • Options
    JohnWJohnW Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm getting rather bored with all this will they/ won't they have ads etc. Endless speculation gets us nowhere. Until we see what really happens it all seems o bit pointless. Anti-BBC or anti-SKY sentiment being aired over and over again is a waste of time and space.

Mind you that's nothing compared with rubbish on Twitter. People still asking if F1 will be on BBC, and whether they need Sky Sports subscription.
This discussion has been closed.