Another TV License thread

13»

Comments

• Options
    the first Booksthe first Books Posts: 642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In the distant past you did need a licence for possession

Sorry, but this is not actually true. A licence was required for the installation or use of equipment for broadcast reception.

Possessing and installing are different.

(The current legislation still refers to the need of a licence for an installation but the BBC choose,generally not to attempt to enforce that requirement......thankfully:)

All the current BBC info on who needs a licence seems only to refer to "using" but the actual licence refers to both installation and use :rolleyes:)
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SmartTIIam wrote: »
    We technically have two different addresses.

How is that possible if you share a flat? If it was a converted house, you may have A or B after the door number but how can you have different addresses from your flatmate?

I'm not asking you to give the address out but do you have something like A or B after the flat number or something?

Also it sounds to me like you could be right about you not needing a licence.

However you also mention you have different addresses. If the TV was in your flat-mate's private area then surely it would come under his address and he alone would have to pay. You can then tell the TVL people that there is no TV in your area and allow them to check if required.

If it a communal area and you do not want a TV then maybe you should ask your flat-mate to move it into his area.
  • Options
    zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the goons have be known to lie on their paperwork and forge signatures. If they can go into court and describe the person's property, it gives them an advantage. They have no more right of entry to your home than me turning up on your doorstep and demanding you let me see your TV. They're a private company and have no automatic right of entry.

In order for them to force the issue they would have to be able to prove to a reasonable state that you were watching TV without a license, and obtain a court order. They could then turn up with the Police. The Police don't like them. To be fair, probably not every one of them but some are bullying gits. They mainly get prosecutions for intimidating people who don't know their rights and it's probably the decent law abiding people who are frightened of them who respect authority. They also bully a number of people into buying TV licenses when they don't need one.

If they show up at the front door, you need to give as little information as possible and tell them to do one and ideally film it. People do this because they have been known to lie and forge paperwork. It's no coincidence that most of their prosecutions are women who were home alone and were intimidated by them, or elderly people. They target specific people. Scumbags.

BTW I have always paid my license. I am not a dodger, and I am very law abiding. At the moment money is tight so I simply do not have a TV and I am happy watching online catch-up services. This is what I will be doing in future. I get so worked up because I don't like bullies.

For all I know the guy I have to share the kitchen and bathroom with may genuinely believe the crap he has been told. I've tried putting him straight but he wouldn't listen to me. Or he may have been trying it on. Who knows? When I see him next I will be educating him on how to deal with the goons. Funnily enough, he's very savvy when it comes to knowing what benefits to claim. So I will reserve judgement.

I'm pro-BBC and support the TVL, though I think funding from general taxation would be fairer to the low paid and save millions lost to evasion and admin, but I agree with your comments here about not talking to them.

This video, though American, is a must watch for everyone and though TVL do not have the powers the police do, and the consequences may not be as serious, it is possible for comments to be misinterpreted, written down incorrectly or, just as with the police, sometimes you will get someone who will lie to get a confession.

I wouldn't bother filming them or be rude but just say "I don't need a TV licence thank you. Bye" and close the door. Don't give your name and don't sign anything. This applies to anyone, especially people asking about who your gas and electricity supplier is. They are far far more likely to rip you off.

(Interestingly TVL have been criticised for not revealing who they are when they start talking to you. This is a deliberate policy because if the person who answers the door is not the householder but a friend, babysitter etc then saying you are from TVL would be embarrassing as it would clearly suggest you may be breaking the law. Some critics ignore this and claim it is an attempt to trap you.)
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it really matters - if you don't have a need for a TV licence, then there's no requirement to pay half of your neighbours licence. If they BOTH had TV's, then fair enough, they obviously have a moral obligation to split it.

True, I can see your point, I did not think of it that way. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    I'm pro-BBC and support the TVL, though I think funding from general taxation would be fairer to the low paid and save millions lost to evasion and admin, but I agree with your comments here about not talking to them.

This video, though American, is a must watch for everyone and though TVL do not have the powers the police do, and the consequences may not be as serious, it is possible for comments to be misinterpreted, written down incorrectly or, just as with the police, sometimes you will get someone who will lie to get a confession.

I wouldn't bother filming them or be rude but just say "I don't need a TV licence thank you. Bye" and close the door. Don't give your name and don't sign anything. This applies to anyone, especially people asking about who your gas and electricity supplier is. They are far far more likely to rip you off.

(Interestingly TVL have been criticised for not revealing who they are when they start talking to you. This is a deliberate policy because if the person who answers the door is not the householder but a friend, babysitter etc then saying you are from TVL would be embarrassing as it would clearly suggest you may be breaking the law. Some critics ignore this and claim it is an attempt to trap you.)

The one who came here a few years back. the first time I decided not to bother with a licence i told to go away, i don't watch Tv, so no need for a TV licence, good bye and closed the door.
    Heard nothing after that.

I have had two, since last January, one came around last February, I think and I told them to go away as well, the second my neighbour was putting some stuff in her recycling bin asked a bloke who was at my doorstep, who he was. He did not tell her at first until she said she was watching the house for me and then he told her, so she told him to go away as well. the second time was sometimes this year, but i can't remember.

Next January, it will be two years since got rid of my licence, I am expecting another visit.
    Again, I will be nice and tell them to go away, they don't seem to like my security camera as they hold up their hands to it, which is stupid as they would have been recorded as soon as they open my gate.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, I wish people would learn how to correctly use "Licence" and "License".

It doesn't annoy me as much as the misuse of there, their and they're though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to share a house with a bloke. We're nothing to do with each by the way. We have two separate tenancy agreements. He rents two rooms, I rent two rooms and we share kitchen and bathroom. I never met him until I moved it, I want nothing to do with him.

I came home and he collared me in the kitchen. He tried to claim I owed him for half of HIS TV license. Firstly by saying that we were a "household." I pointed out to him that we were not. We were totally separate from each other and had nothing legally to do with one another. He then told me because I had a laptop, I needed a TV License. He said that he was told by the letting agents that we were both of the same address and therefore of the same household. I know this is baloney.

I don't own a TV. The only thing I do is watch iPlayer, YT, etc. I don't watch broadcasts 'as live.' I'm not dumb enough to believe I need a license simply because I own a computer. And yes, even if I had a TV that wasn't hooked up to an aerial socket or satellite and using it to watch 'as live' broadcasts, I still wouldn't need one.

So tonight, he announced that he was no longer going to pay for a license and was just going to watch TV without one.

I suppose my worry is that if the TVL goons come knocking he will try and claim we are a single household and drag me into it by claiming I am not paying. I haven't done it but I will fill in the online thing saying that I don't need a license but put in my address. We technically have two different addresses.

He may be just ignorant, but also trying to con me into paying. He isn't the brightest person on the planet. Was wondering what to do about it but I just remembered I can fill in the online form. If he has done his as the full house address, rather than our own specific addresses I was worried I could be dragged into it. I think he pays monthly, so as soon as his payments stop, the letters and threats of court and fines will start flooding in.
    You have nothing to worry about.
    If you had a joint tenancy agreement, where the property as a whole was in both of your names you would be liable too.

But since you have your own tenancy agreements you are both only responsible for yourself are licence.
    Any TV Licence would only cover the two rooms that the named Licencee rents (if he got one only his rooms would be covered, and vice versa).
  • Options
    SmartTIIamSmartTIIam Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    You have nothing to worry about.
    If you had a joint tenancy agreement, where the property as a whole was in both of your names you would be liable too.

But since you have your own tenancy agreements you are both only responsible for yourself are licence.
    Any TV Licence would only cover the two rooms that the named Licencee rents (if he got one only his rooms would be covered, and vice versa).

No. I'm fine. I'm leaving it completely for my "housemate" as in letting him do what he wants without any interference from me. If the goons do come a knockin' they get a polite none of your damn business from me and sent on their way.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Next month, give him your half of his, and then tell him that he owes you half of your tv licence, and take it straight back off him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TV licence, that is correct,
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,718
    Forum Member
    If the goons do come a knockin' they get a polite none of your damn business from me and sent on their way.
    Yes, because we should always be rude to anyone just doing their job and trying to earn a living :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Having read this thread I don't think we are getting the full picture here and it looks more like a way to disguise promoting not having pay for a TV Licence.

The OP states..."I came home and he collared me in the kitchen" but says 'technically' we have different addresses.

Sounds like they share the same kitchen, may be share the same lounge?

If the TV's in the lounge could the other side of the story be he's fed up with his flat mate watching his TV for free?

The OP says they don't have time to watch TV but rattles off a list of video websites they access....mmmm.

I used to have a relative who claimed she never watched TV but knew all the soap storylines, dramas, comedy shows etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, because we should always be rude to anyone just doing their job and trying to earn a living :rolleyes:

I don't know why but my gut feeling this thread isn't about the bloke demanding half the TV licence fee, the use of the word 'goons' indicates what this thread is really about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Having read this thread I don't think we are getting the full picture here and it looks more like a way to disguise promoting not having pay for a TV Licence.

The OP states..."I came home and he collared me in the kitchen" but says 'technically' we have different addresses.

Sounds like they share the same kitchen, may be share the same lounge?

If the TV's in the lounge could the other side of the story be he's fed up with his flat mate watching his TV for free?

The OP says they don't have time to watch TV but rattles off a list of video websites they access....mmmm.

I used to have a relative who claimed she never watched TV but knew all the soap storylines, dramas, comedy shows etc.

She did not say there was a main lounge, she have two rooms, he have two rooms and they share the kitchen and bathroom.

i lived in a bedsit years ago, that had a central lounge, but it was never used, I shared bathroom and kitchen, but I never had a TV licence.

I think some people hate the thought that some of us don't need a TV licence. you be surprise how many backs I can get up by saying I don't have a TV licence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    She did not say there was a main lounge, she have two rooms, he have two rooms and they share the kitchen and bathroom.

i lived in a bedsit years ago, that had a central lounge, but it was never used, I shared bathroom and kitchen, but I never had a TV licence.

I think some people hate the thought that some of us don't need a TV licence. you be surprise how many backs I can get up by saying I don't have a TV licence.

So what, I don't have a TV licence and watch live TV, perfectly legally.

Look at the OPs tone of the reference to 'goons'. I think we should hear the guys view of the situation.

The OP in effect calls the bloke a liar, but accepts what he says about TVL when it makes them look made....mmmm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest i4u, I thought that the user has false intentions in this thread.

Honestly cannot stand the people that call them "Goons". After all they are only doing their job.

I have no problem with those that legally do not require a TV because they do not watch it.
    What annoys is the people that choose not to pay it and then complain about it.
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing the thread title just triggered something at the back of my mind. Mine expires at the end of August and I haven't had a reminder or e-mail. Should have got one by now surely?
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pmbond wrote: »
    Seeing the thread title just triggered something at the back of my mind. Mine expires at the end of August and I haven't had a reminder or e-mail. Should have got one by now surely?

If you pay by DD, you shouldn't get another paper licence until 2016, if you pay by other means, then yes, you should have got your reminder by now....
  • Options
    pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tourista wrote: »
    If you pay by DD, you shouldn't get another paper licence until 2016, if you pay by other means, then yes, you should have got your reminder by now....

I pay it as a one off. Just done it by phone without being able to speak to a human. Last years letter with the licence attached is dated 21/8 which set the alarm bells off.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

Honestly cannot stand the people that call them "Goons". After all they are only doing their job.

It's this kind of person who berates alleged "benefit scroungers" from not getting jobs, then when they do get jobs, the continue to be insulted by the same person.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're right. It is licence in the sense of obtaining a TV licence but when you get it, the TVL people license you to watch TV ;)

You are then licensed to watch TV.

The Americans use license for all purposes though, so you can blame them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    So what, I don't have a TV licence and watch live TV, perfectly legally.

Does someone else pay or do you live outside the UK?