Options

Louis van Gaal as manager of Manchester United

Comments

• Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I mean what does Martin Keown know about defending?!

When you pick a team worth tens of millions of pounds and it gets beat 4-0 off a team worth £250k which was a 500/1 shot and you say you're not shocked I think you might be telling porkies.

A lack of confidence from Moyes tenure is a ridiculous excuse. He was sacked in April. You've got international players worth tens of millions who seem to be playing in a system they aren't very familiar with and getting beaten badly by a league 1 team. The defence is really poor and LvG keeps chasing midfielders.

In some way I would probably agree with that, for the following couple of reasons.

I know you shouldn't judge pre-season games, but Man Utd had a very good pre-season, also they now have one the worlds best managers bringing in a new era...confidence if anything for the start of the season should have been sky high.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You can't win a 38-game competition by being lucky.

Personally think that season you proved that it can be done. Man Utd was consistent, the luck part about it was that the other teams that should have been challenging, didn't.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not even 2 hours, it's hardly like bumping a thread from 10 years ago. This thread will be revisited after every Man Utd defeat and LvG tactics backfire no doubt.

By you no doubt.
  • Options
    The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not even 2 hours, it's hardly like bumping a thread from 10 years ago. This thread will be revisited after every Man Utd defeat and LvG tactics backfire no doubt.

In that case I would hope it will be the same when the tactics work?
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Personally think that season you proved that it can be done. Man Utd was consistent, the luck part about it was that the other teams that should have been challenging, didn't.

Because they weren't good enough.

So no 'luck' involved. The best team won the league, as it always does.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    The vast majority of clubs have bad patches and if you are lucky enough to play them in the middle of the bad patch it can make the world of difference.

Something that doesn't happen over 38 games
    dearmrman wrote: »

There's no I there. And being consistent isn't luck, it appears 'luck' here is just the closest to a back-handed compliment people can muster.

Show me a team who won the league via luck and I'll show you a shiny unicorn made out of pixie dust.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Something that doesn't happen over 38 games, unless there's a suggestion that you

There's no I there. And being consistent isn't luck, it appears 'luck' here is just the closest to a back-handed compliment people can muster.

Show me a team who won the league via luck and I'll show you a shiny unicorn made out of pixie dust.

I don't believe you so I wont bother.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis van Gaal showed no class at all in ignoring the MK Dons manager after the game. Just like Don Revile did to Brian Clough all those years ago.

Maybe he apologised to him later.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since Moyes was sacked:

Man Utd 4 Norwich 0
    Man Utd 0 Sunderland 1
    Man Utd 3 Hull 1
    Southampton 1 Man Utd 1
    Man Utd 1 Swansea 2
    Sunderland 1 Man Utd 1
    MK Dons 4 Man Utd 0

How long are you going to blame Moyes? It's as poor an excuse as blaming injuries when you can afford to sub off Kagawa for Januzaj whilst your opposition play guys not good enough for Brentford.

There is a difference though. Some of those games are last season's. A number of players left. This year's start is not very edifying so far. Utd will do well to qualify for Europe, I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louis van Gaal showed no class at all in ignoring the MK Dons manager after the game. Just like Don Revile did to Brian Clough all those years ago.

Maybe you should apologise for refering him to as the MK Don's manager instead of by name (which I would guess you do not know). Complete lack of disrespect

Funny thing is I saw a interview with Karl Robinson and when asked "Can you tell us what Louis van Gaal said to you after the match" Karl said it was something between the two of them. But since he was ignored by Mr Van Gaal I guess he said nothing
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

did he do that? is it confirmed?

shame if true, karl robinson was on talksport earlier in day saying he was really looking forward to havign a chat with him

i know when cov played arsenal in league and fa cup recently, our manager pressley was elated he had a chance to speak with wenger, said he learnt alot and influenced him as a manager.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blaming Moyes for the defeats is absurd as crediting him with beating Norwich 4-0 in the game after he was sacked. If you want to blame someone blame the LvG system which is obviously not working considering Swansea, Sunderland and MK Dons have all played better than you. It's more lack of confidence in that system rather than lack of confidence because a manager that was sacked moons ago.

Like I said, you lack a basic understanding of human mentality.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RotMojo wrote: »
    Like I said, you lack a basic understanding of human mentality.

It's an embarrassing excuse to blame Moyes for a defeat 5 months later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have yet to see anyone do that.

I have seen people say it was one factor (of many) but have yet to see anyone on here blame it 100% on Moyes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

im torn on it, i can see both sides of the argument

did moyes kill cofnidence with drab interviews and poor signings? yes
    did he not utilise best players in right positions? yeh maybe
    did he curb uts famous attacking mentality? i believe so

the above can kill confidence

on the other side of the coin there used to be a quite vocal poster who used to be adamanent that this was a title winning squad and should be challenging top 4. most utd fans agreed with him

now all of a sudden the squad needs wholesale changes?

so in that respect i feel sorry for moyes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    im torn on it, i can see both sides of the argument

did moyes kill cofnidence with drab interviews and poor signings? yes
    did he not utilise best players in right positions? yeh maybe
    did he curb uts famous attacking mentality? i believe so

the above can kill confidence

The main factor was losing games.

I think that this is fairly fundamental. People are quick to point out that the 'fear factor' has gone, since Ferguson left.

The players know that teams no longer fear them, and if you watch them play, you'll see that they're not taking risks, or moving the ball quick enough. They're afraid to take a man on, or maybe make a gamble on a run. It exacerbates itself, and another poor performance means more caution in the next game, and so on. They looked pretty decent in pre-season, because there was no pressure.

It'll take time for Van Gaal to turn that around, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that this is fairly fundamental. People are quick to point out that the 'fear factor' has gone, since Ferguson left.

The players know that teams no longer fear them, and if you watch them play, you'll see that they're not taking risks, or moving the ball quick enough. They're afraid to take a man on, or maybe make a gamble on a run. It exacerbates itself, and another poor performance means more caution in the next game, and so on. They looked pretty decent in pre-season, because there was no pressure.

agreed but this time last year i remember mentioning fear factor seemed to have gone judging from first few games and was pretty much told i was speaking rubbish.

lvg is in a lucky position because fans now a bit more realistic about the issues utd facing currently.

but like i said yesterday, he seems to be getting rid of most of the people i dont personally see as top 4 quality and i doubt hes gonna bring in poor players so signs are utd will only get better now.
  • Options
    SuperTed_SuperTed_ Posts: 164
    Forum Member

It's interesting because you often see managers come in and have an almost instant impact though.

Use Liverpool after Hodgson had basically killed us. Kenny came in and the performances and results very quickly improved. I think our form over his first half of the season was 2nd only to Utd.

It's possibly an indication of how far the Utd players have fallen. As you say, they were possibly used to a fear factor which Fergie had built around the club. But this is something a lot of teams don't have and they still manage to get results.

I think the damage Moyes did is still a part of it, but I'm not sure how much part of it. I guess only the players could tell you that. There is an article somewhere comparing the starting lineup when you beat Arsenal 8-2 to the one against Sunderland this season (I think...) and there are only 5 changes and most of them improvements (Mata, RVP for example).

I just think a lot is broken at Utd right now and some of it has to be deeper than just Moyes. You have spent about £200m so far since Fergie left, surely with that level of new talent Moyes can't be blamed if they don't perform (I know most of them haven't had chance to really play yet, so I'm thinking of how they need to perform going forwards).

If you take it in isolation, surely this manager and that level of spend should get a top 4 finish? Anything out of this would be a disappointment?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    It's interesting because you often see managers come in and have an almost instant impact though.

Use Liverpool after Hodgson had basically killed us. Kenny came in and the performances and results very quickly improved. I think our form over his first half of the season was 2nd only to Utd.

It's possibly an indication of how far the Utd players have fallen. As you say, they were possibly used to a fear factor which Fergie had built around the club. But this is something a lot of teams don't have and they still manage to get results.

I think the damage Moyes did is still a part of it, but I'm not sure how much part of it. I guess only the players could tell you that. There is an article somewhere comparing the starting lineup when you beat Arsenal 8-2 to the one against Sunderland this season (I think...) and there are only 5 changes and most of them improvements (Mata, RVP for example).

I just think a lot is broken at Utd right now and some of it has to be deeper than just Moyes. You have spent about £200m so far since Fergie left, surely with that level of new talent Moyes can't be blamed if they don't perform (I know most of them haven't had chance to really play yet, so I'm thinking of how they need to perform going forwards).

If you take it in isolation, surely this manager and that level of spend should get a top 4 finish? Anything out of this would be a disappointment?

Nobody's said that it was 'just Moyes'. I've already stated that there are other issues.

We've lost 3 of our long-standing back 4, the new signings have barely featured at all, we're trying to implement a new tactical system, I suspect that training methods are different, and whether people want to acknowledge it or not, we have a f***load of injuries.

Besides all of that, we've only played 3 bloody games! Bit early to be writing us off, just yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody's said that it was 'just Moyes'. I've already stated that there are other issues.

We've lost 3 of our long-standing back 4, the new signings have barely featured at all, we're trying to implement a new tactical system, I suspect that training methods are different, and whether people want to acknowledge it or not, we have a f***load of injuries.

Besides all of that, we've only played 3 bloody games! Bit early to be writing us off, just yet.

I haven't written you off anywhere! I called you lot for a top 4 finish! It's just that Moyes gets called out as one of the reasons for the issues and yet in other clubs the change in manager often returns fairly instant returns. Tis all.

Was just wondering what what be thought of as the right return given all the changes etc..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SuperTed_ wrote: »
    I haven't written you off anywhere! I called you lot for a top 4 finish! It's just that Moyes gets called out as one of the reasons for the issues and yet in other clubs the change in manager often returns fairly instant returns. Tis all.

Was just wondering what what be thought of as the right return given all the changes etc..

Sorry, I didn't mean that I thought that you were writing us off.

Gauging where we 'should' finish will be much easier when the injuries dry up a bit, and when the transfer window closes, in my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, I didn't mean that I thought that you were writing us off.

Gauging where we 'should' finish will be much easier when the injuries dry up a bit, and when the transfer window closes, in my opinion.

Yeh true. I just look at the quality of first XI you could end up with this season. If it clicks you should do well. Then it's just down to how well LVG adapts to life in the Premier League.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Five months of consistently playing, under the new manager, and without all the media drama? No, thought not.

It's not an "excuse". It's a factor.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the person accusing us of blaming Moyes entirely for these defeats will be able to back up his claims with some evidence?
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,560
    Forum Member

All of the above, especially the bits in bold, which many in this thread all too easily ignore. Key defenders leave + 10 injured squad players out + new philosophy = temporary hiatus in form. Simple as.