Options

Jimmy Savile Britain's Worst Crimes CH5

Comments

• Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something troubling about such 'exposes'. Not easy to acknowledge, because the pressure to rubberstamp everything in them is now so great, but troubling all the same. And that's the absence of any real and rigorous investigation. Take, say, the time when the Hamiltons were accused of raping some young woman. They could easily prove their innocence, and the case collapsed. But what if that accusation had taken place posthumously? I suspect it would have been accepted by many as true. The problem with Savile is that everything - not just an accumulation of fully investigated and judged cases - everything is just added to the mountain of evil. And that helps no one. It'll get to the point where there wouldn't have been enough time in each day for him to have done all he's accused of, and still the mountain will grow. This is obviously not to excuse anything about Savile, nor to undermine the genuine victims, but this passive acceptance of largely uncorroborated statements in the tabloids and on TV is getting way out of hand.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no interest in this type of thing. Just let the man rest in peace. None of this will ever be proven true because hes dead. Sorry if that upsets people but these are all allegations that will never be proven because hes not here anymore.

What does it matter if he is alive or dead. The evidence is there that he DID commit these horrible crimes. If he abused you or a member of your family would you still be saying "aw well, let him rest in peace, we cant prove anything" ?

My point is, that alive or dead, doesnt change the fact that these crimes happened.
  • Options
    earlbearlb Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't call ignoring all the available evidence a statement of common sense.

Ah yes, The Emperor's new clothes syndrome
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The rumours about Saville have existed for many years and it's only now that the enormity of the circle he was involved with is beginning to emerge. Given the high-profile names that he associated with, it's no wonder that complaints were hushed-up at the time. If the apparently well researched rumours that abound on the internet are to be believed, this programme only scratched the surface - there were far more heinous crimes committed against youngsters by well-connected and influential individuals.

Sadly, I very much doubt that the victims of Saville and his powerful associates will ever get full justice, there's too many well-connected people still alive who have everything to lose if all comes out. If Saville had been brought to book whilst he was still alive, I've no doubt that, as the middle-man, he would have sung like a canary and taken a few down with him. He knew they daren't touch him and he used this to his own nefarious advantage.

Although not apparently part of the Elm Guest House / Dolphin Square clique, who would have ever thought that Rolf Harris would emerge as a pedophile?

Well said, I think Savile would have killed himself if it all came out about him he was vain I never liked him his brother was the same.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    snafu65 wrote: »
    Well it didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know. Savile was able to carry out his sick perversions for decades pretty much with impunity, protected by powerful friends and acquaintances. Untouchable in life, and certainly untouchable now, a national disgrace. We can only hope evil people really do pay for their sins in the afterlife.

Right, for someone with only passing interest in this.
    Where was all this 'protection' did anyone have a 'word' with the Police, CPS, victims or accusers on his behalf, pay them off, threaten them, etc?
    Just wondering what people mean by protection here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    earlb wrote: »
    Ah yes, The Emperor's new clothes syndrome

Ohh I love a riddle.
    Just say what you mean in plain English, for the bored and tired amongst us.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    What does it matter if he is alive or dead. The evidence is there that he DID commit these horrible crimes. If he abused you or a member of your family would you still be saying "aw well, let him rest in peace, we cant prove anything" ?

My point is, that alive or dead, doesnt change the fact that these crimes happened.

I hope he never rests in peace, he should be dug up and cremated, and the ashes scattered on the tip.
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was this a repeat? I didn't watch it because I thought it was.

Not a repeat!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there's another aspect that irritates - these accounts repeatedly inform us that Savile was hugely popular and even 'entranced' a generation. Well, I never knew anyone who didn't dislike him. He was on popular programmes; HE wasn't anywhere near as popular as is now made out. When he hosted TOTP one's heart sank. Jim'll Fix It was okay in the parts when he wasn't on the screen. It's a needless re-writing of history to hype things up that don't need any hyping up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I hope he never rests in peace, he should be dug up and cremated, and the ashes scattered on the tip.

That is the silliest thing I've read on here in a good few days, and that includes some overt trolling/wind-ups.
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is something troubling about such 'exposes'. Not easy to acknowledge, because the pressure to rubberstamp everything in them is now so great, but troubling all the same. And that's the absence of any real and rigorous investigation. Take, say, the time when the Hamiltons were accused of raping some young woman. They could easily prove their innocence, and the case collapsed. But what if that accusation had taken place posthumously? I suspect it would have been accepted by many as true. The problem with Savile is that everything - not just an accumulation of fully investigated and judged cases - everything is just added to the mountain of evil. And that helps no one. It'll get to the point where there wouldn't have been enough time in each day for him to have done all he's accused of, and still the mountain will grow. This is obviously not to excuse anything about Savile, nor to undermine the genuine victims, but this passive acceptance of largely uncorroborated statements in the tabloids and on TV is getting way out of hand.

I agree. Even though I always found him a loathsome individual I find it odd that Savile is being blamed for everything, from sodomy of the dead to the lack of fresh towels in Ward One. It's like when somebody leaves the company you work for. The ex-employee is always the first person to get blamed for things that have gone wrong. It's so very easy to pin blame on people who can't answer back.

I've no doubt that Savile did some terrible things, but I don't believe half the stuff he's being accused of (and mostly without any evidence too).
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there's another aspect that irritates - these accounts repeatedly inform us that Savile was hugely popular and even 'entranced' a generation. Well, I never knew anyone who didn't dislike him.

I did like him. I thought he was a bit of a character, and liked his seeming harmless, humorous eccentricity, which I can see now he consciously projected, to get a good reaction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were a music fan you disliked him because it was painfully clear he couldn't have cared less about music when doing TOTP or his godawful radio show. And if you liked people with a bit of integrity you surely found Savile utterly fake. And many others just saw him as a bad joke. I recall his recorded show was followed by Noel Edmonds at the weekends, and Edmonds usually played custard pie sound effects whilst Savile waffled his way to his final remarks. That seemed so right at the time. Hardly anyone liked him. But I bet someone aged now about 20, reading the stuff about him, imagines there were millions of people with his picture on their wall, worshipping his every appearance. It's an outrageous rewriting of history.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Im certainly not 20. .nearly 50 and always thought he was creepy. .never wanted to appear on jimll fix it because I didn't want to meet him..awkward, , contrary, ,cocky and creepy. .am not surprised at any of the accusations. .rolf Harris on the other hand did surprise me.
  • Options
    Aidan11Aidan11 Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It all seems to have gone quiet on Leon Brittain.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Words fail me about what a truly repugnant monster Savile was

When I was a kid I couldn't stand him, and I honestly didn't know why loads of adults seemed to adore him.
    It was as though everyone absolutely loved him, but all I saw as a kid was this horrible man who just showed off all the time to camera like he was some wacky larger than life 'character', seemed to be almost bragging that he was a celebrity in a really smug 'look at me I'm on the telly' sort of way, and acted as though he thought he was funny even when he wasn't actually doing or saying anything which was remotely amusing. But it seemed that everyone except me loved him and I simply didn't know why.
  • Options
    seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vix77 wrote: »
    Shocking he got away with abusing kids all his life. Pity I don't have a dog because I'd visit his grave and let the dog s**t on it!

He doesn't have a grave now either, didn't they have his headstone scrapped? (and if they hadn't, well, you'd be one in a very long line ...)

I found this a very difficult watch but the undertone of "everyone could tell he looked like a paedophile!" unsettled me. Quite aside from the question of why no one did anything about him (which the show attempted to address) paedophiles generally are not "obvious", that's why they are so dangerous. Hindsight is always 100% ...
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no interest in this type of thing. Just let the man rest in peace. None of this will ever be proven true because hes dead. Sorry if that upsets people but these are all allegations that will never be proven because hes not here anymore.
    Did you miss the part where his nephew actually said Jimmy Saville was at these 'parties' with little kids. Why would a member of his family blatantly lie about him, after all who would want to be related to a paedophile?
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Not a repeat!

Thanks when was part one on, going to watch it tonight or tomorrow.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you miss the part where his nephew actually said Jimmy Saville was at these 'parties' with little kids. Why would a member of his family blatantly lie about him, after all who would want to be related to a paedophile?

Why did he not report them at the time?

Is he being charged if he attended such parties?
  • Options
    Forum Member

You're not responding to what was written.
    None of this will ever be proven true because hes dead. Sorry if that upsets people but these are all allegations that will never be proven because hes not here anymore.
    Because you think lieing is unlikely doesn't make an allegation true.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The evidence is pretty overwhelming, the only doubt seems to be exactly how many people he abused.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    Shocking he got away with abusing kids all his life. Pity I don't have a dog because I'd visit his grave and let the dog s**t on it!

Pity he was also moved to an unmarked grave.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    redcherry wrote: »
    I remember reading on this very forum, a few years ago, the various comments about Savile and his connections to 'the Establishment', the royal family and other celebs, who were all involved in the abuse of children and how it was all covered up. At least it is all coming out, albeit many years too late for his victims. I believe that the truth will always come out, even if it takes a long time.

I would think that very few of Saviles high profile contacts who he was seen with in public had anything to do with his crimes, he used those people and ingratiated himself upon them due to his charity role, they and most of the country would not believe he was capable of such things "what Jimmy , no look at all he does for children and charity" and he milked that to the last breath . Savile was the master of hiding in the full glare of the public and used high profile people as part of his cover, both extremely evil and very clever.
  • Options
    TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member

You could do it yourself?