woman offered free lunch racks up £700 bill

12346»

Comments

• Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    I'm off to brush up on my knowledge of small pancake varieties.

For your first lesson, may I suggest you try them with smoked salmon and soured cream, accompanied by a nicely chilled glass of champagne. No need to go mad, a Veuve Clicquot would be fine.

Delicious combination.
  • Options
    crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accidents happen,it was not done on purpose and They where very kind to offer lunch for the inconvenience. It's a shame we have people in a society that are take take take and will take advantage at every given moment.
    A message will be placed on her audi for where ever it might go for warranty and service and I doubt it will get any special treatment maybe even a few items placed in the car by a mechanic!
    Just what she deserves.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    Nice try Elyan, but a bit of a fail really, everyone (should), know that cod is a fish, just as I presumed most people would know what sloe gin, and a blini is.
    Actually, Pacific Ocean black cod, while definitely being a fish, is not a member of the cod family.

Like you said. Most people, not all.

For instance, do you know what a fathom is in terms of measurement, without looking it up. Or what a stay is on a yacht.
    Debrajoan wrote: »
    I am mildly surprised that in what I always took to be a cosmopolitan, and erudite bunch of posters, someone would publicly admit that they do not know what sloe gin is, or what blinis are.

I've never heard of blinis and I am very well educated and intelligent. Having looked it up, the reason is I don't particularly like pancakes. I do know what sloe gin is. In fact I've drunk the home made variety.

We all have our specialities and knowledge. I could talk to you about nautical stuff like sailing and your head would fall off, unless you were in the know.
    I think the most I ever spent on a meal for two was about £400. But I could stretch to £700.

Seriously. I dare not ask how you could justify that. I just don't get it.
  • Options
    Katharine_RangeKatharine_Range Posts: 2,490
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Like you said. Most people, not all.

For instance, do you know what a fathom is in terms of measurement, without looking it up. Or what a stay is on a yacht.

I've never heard of blinis and I am very well educated and intelligent. Having looked it up, the reason is I don't particularly like pancakes. I do know what sloe gin is. In fact I've drunk the home made variety.

We all have our specialities and knowledge. I could talk to you about nautical stuff like sailing and your head would fall off, unless you were in the know.

The most I ever spent on a meal was €28 at a restaurant in Paris.
  • Options
    weirlandia4evaweirlandia4eva Posts: 1,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have now agreed to settle the bill. The garage is paying the full amount but only £250 going to the woman and the remaining £464 going to a charity that she supports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-32689687
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well it would have to be a top restaurant - three Michelin stars. And a special occasion e.g my wife's birthday or a milestone anniversary. Not something I'd make a regular habit of but as a one off, sure.
    They have now agreed to settle the bill. The garage is paying the full amount but only £250 going to the woman and the remaining £464 going to a charity that she supports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-32689687

Sounds like a good result for all parties. The woman says she's happy and Audi get good publicity.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it would have to be a top restaurant - three Michelin stars. And a special occasion e.g my wife's birthday or a milestone anniversary. Not something I'd make a regular habit of but as a one off, sure.

Sounds like a good result for all parties. The woman says she's happy and Audi get good publicity.

No for me no amount of money would be worth that amount of negative publicity and my name in national press. I would be very ashamed for my name to be in the press over something like this.
  • Options
    day dreamerday dreamer Posts: 978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no way the woman didn't know what she was doing and the nerve of people like this stuns me every time but what with the charity donation I'm now wondering if the whole thing wasn't set up by Audi from the start. The ending is too good to be true.
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never heard of blinis and I am very well educated and intelligent. Having looked it up, the reason is I don't particularly like pancakes.

Try em anyway! I don't like pancakes but blinis with smoked salmon and cream cheese are the best party food nibbley things ever :kitty:
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No for me no amount of money would be worth that amount of negative publicity and my name in national press. I would be very ashamed for my name to be in the press over something like this.

Same here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So many people seem to have no understanding of the concept of shame though now, something I find frustrating and sad. The woman in this story is a prime example of the MeMeMe generation and how selfish and greedy they are.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    So many people seem to have no understanding of the concept of shame though now, something I find frustrating and sad. The woman in this story is a prime example of the MeMeMe generation and how selfish and greedy they are.

Equally, some people seem to have no concept of attempting to get a little "payback" when it's justified.

As I said before, if the garage that completely f**ked up my car, after having it in their possession for the best part of 6 months (whereupon it came back to me with the original fault still present, 2 other faults, a hole in the undertray roughly chiselled to gain access to some bolts and a lump of copper plumbing pipe and a length of bent coat-hanger replacing the dipstick) offered me a "free meal" as a gesture of goodwill, I'm afraid I'd have been heading straight for the Hibiscus in London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Equally, some people seem to have no concept of attempting to get a little "payback" when it's justified.

As I said before, if the garage that completely f**ked up my car, after having it in their possession for the best part of 6 months (whereupon it came back to me with the original fault still present, 2 other faults, a hole in the undertray roughly chiselled to gain access to some bolts and a lump of copper plumbing pipe and a length of bent coat-hanger replacing the dipstick) offered me a "free meal" as a gesture of goodwill, I'm afraid I'd have been heading straight for the Hibiscus in London.

Sad how not even trying to settle things in a mature way seems to be so unfashionable now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sad how not even trying to settle things in a mature way seems to be so unfashionable now.

If a person doesn't act in a responsible or mature manner, they shouldn't be surprised to find they aren't treated in that way either.

Acting in a mature and responsible way in response to being treated in an immature or irresponsible way simply means you're allowing yourself to be f**ked over.
  • Options
    TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Garage was a bit silly not giving an upper limit but i assume they never thought someone would be so selfish to take advantage of their good will.
    Give her £100 and tell i hope she enjoyed the meal. see you in court.
    Question, how regularly do you use the restaurant. if it's regular then her case may be stronger. if not then why not, if it's to expensive which must be the answer as she must have always wanted to dine there. then shes admitted she abused the goodwill of the garage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    If a person doesn't act in a responsible or mature manner, they shouldn't be surprised to find they aren't treated in that way either.

Acting in a mature and responsible way in response to being treated in an immature or irresponsible way simply means you're allowing yourself to be f**ked over.

I suppose it depends on just how bad what the ones in the wrong did. Some people do truly take the piss when it comes to incompetence and not giving a toss, I'll give you that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose it depends on just how bad what the ones in the wrong did. Some people do truly take the piss when it comes to incompetence and not giving a toss, I'll give you that.

For my part, I'd have to say that we have no way of knowing whether the AUDI dealership really did do anything to warrant that kind of vindictive response either.

Maybe they did treat her like dirt and her "protest meal" was justified or maybe they just failed to return a couple of her calls and she got a strop on about something really petty?

I guess I can just see how it might be justifiable so I'm reluctant to condemn her without more detailed information.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    I think her behaviour can be classed as unreasonable.

If you were in her situation -- i.e. offered a free meal for two -- what would you do? Admittedly you'd choose a nice restaurant and have a couple of drinks -- but I'm sure you'd manage to keep the bill to less than £100. That's what most people would do.