Options

Ripper Street

Comments

• Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Episode 7 some tragedy befalls one of Reids team. My money is on Hobbs as i do not think they would kill off a major character.
    I will be very upset if something dreadful happens to poor little put-upon Hobbs. :(:mad:
  • Options
    lakeslakes Posts: 4,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good to hear theres going to be a S2.
    love this show, well done bbc.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    I thought it was good but a bit weird. Not really my thing this whole thing with the Goddess and whatnot, but I think in some odd way it showed more depth to Drake. Really, it was all about Drake and I don't think that was particularly a good thing as it sidelined Reid and the Yankee. It was a little Drake-heavy in my opinion.

I didn't think it showed his allegiance to his Colonel and his regiment well enough though to explain why he was so willing to go in with him when he did. I don't think enough has been done in previous episodes to show that side of Drake. He's always seemed very much on the side of 'good' although some may think his violence belies that. I think there needed to be more lead in to actually believe he'd 'turn' in that way.

Having said that, Faulkner was a very alluring character in a psychotic sort of way. It's just, Drake has always seemed stronger mentally. I think the pay rise thing and Reid's comments about Rose were meant to show us he was a bit peeved and more susceptible to persuasion, but I'm not sure i believe Drake would be swayed by that so easily.

I'm glad Drake has experienced this rather inevitable scene with Rose so he can move on. God, the little scene with him releasing the birds was gut wrenching. We've got such a capacity for love haven't we - and as a result we have to experience the worst of heartbreaks. And yet, we carry on, and love some more...

And even more amazing is that this theme is dealt with millions of times every year in all sorts of ways, the bottom line doesn't change much - any yet, we are fascinated anew each time.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Were Police allowed to torture prisoners in full view of anyone in the room, even in those days?

This was before PACE:)
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    You would have thought so - what man would really like the idea this his girlfriend/wife/woman he loves is putting it about for money?

The way it came across to me was that Drake is very insecure and thinks very little of himself - look at the way he immediately pulled back when he realised he wouldn't get his raise. Dirt poor childhood, very damaged by his horrific time in the army, no money or status in a time when that's all that matters, mainly there to punch people - he doesn't think most women would want him. I think Drake fell for Rose in the first episode when he saved her, and I can really easily believe that a man like him could fall for the idea of rescuing someone who is also 'damaged' and not respected, and who he could offer a better life. That's one of the reasons why it hurt so much that she'd rather have her current life than marry him. He was also clearly in denial about her life and a romantic - a more cynical man would have bought some time with her himself not bought the birds.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jtnorth wrote: »
    The way it came across to me was that Drake is very insecure and thinks very little of himself - look at the way he immediately pulled back when he realised he wouldn't get his raise. Dirt poor childhood, very damaged by his horrific time in the army, no money or status in a time when that's all that matters, mainly there to punch people - he doesn't think most women would want him. I think Drake fell for Rose in the first episode when he saved her, and I can really easily believe that a man like him could fall for the idea of rescuing someone who is also 'damaged' and not respected, and who he could offer a better life. That's one of the reasons why it hurt so much that she'd rather have her current life than marry him. He was also clearly in denial about her life and a romantic - a more cynical man would have bought some time with her himself not bought the birds.

I think you have summed up both him and his situation absolutely perfectly :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Episode 7 some tragedy befalls one of Reids team. My money is on Hobbs as i do not think they would kill off a major character.
    I will be very upset if something dreadful happens to poor little put-upon Hobbs. :(:mad:
    Hope not, although for the last 2 weeks I've wondered if Hobbs was going to be the Ripper Street equivalent of the well known selection of Ensign Expendables as seen in Star Trek programmes......

:confused:
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    jtnorth wrote: »

It's very sad really isn't it? A decent man who could offer the right woman love and security.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    seejay63 wrote: »
    It's very sad really isn't it? A decent man who could offer the right woman love and security.

Drake is the most sensitive of the three despite the violence. He knows victims names and seems to think of them more than just a corpse. I doubt he's had much experience with women, which is odd as he was in the British army which were a bit notorious.

As for Reid's clothing, I think it's a status thing myself- looking to be a cut above the average copper. The reveal about Reid's daughter will be intersting as it seems no one knew the girl apart from the Reids.
  • Options
    airliebird58airliebird58 Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    Absolutely love this show. Glad to hear it has been recommissioned for a 2nd series.
  • Options
    John8418John8418 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    This is turning into a quality series. Ian Glenn was superb but the character was incredibly well written. And who knew Jerome Flynn was such a good actor!

One tiny nitpick - burglarised?
    I'd agree, except to say that I've always thought Flynn was better than a lot of the parts he's been given.

The show itself clearly gains from all the work various people have done on Whitechapel of the period, trying to work out who the Ripper was. It must have saved them a lot of research, and looks very authentic.

BUT, as for "burglarised" - more correctly "burglarized"... it's one of my pet hates.

In English, we have the verb "to burgle", giving nouns "burglar" and "burglary". In American, they use "burglar", make the verb "burglarize", and then the noun "burglarization" - Ugh! I've even seen one US cop take it full circle and talk about a "burglarizationer" :eek:

I have to admit, I swore at the TV when That Word was used...
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    John8418 wrote: »
    I'd agree, except to say that I've always thought Flynn was better than a lot of the parts he's been given.

The show itself clearly gains from all the work various people have done on Whitechapel of the period, trying to work out who the Ripper was. It must have saved them a lot of research, and looks very authentic.

BUT, as for "burglarised" - more correctly "burglarized"... it's one of my pet hates.

In English, we have the verb "to burgle", giving nouns "burglar" and "burglary". In American, they use "burglar", make the verb "burglarize", and then the noun "burglarization" - Ugh! I've even seen one US cop take it full circle and talk about a "burglarizationer" :eek:

Not sure how the program gains from Ripper related research particularly.
    That language point has already been covered post 811, or read the thread on the last episode.
    snork wrote: »
    A quick bit of internet research says the word was first used in 1871 which is about the right timescale.
  • Options
    John8418John8418 Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    John8418 wrote:

In English, we have the verb "to burgle", giving nouns "burglar" and "burglary". In American, they use "burglar", make the verb "burglarize", and then the noun "burglarization" - Ugh! I've even seen one US cop take it full circle and talk about a "burglarizationer"

Not sure how the program gains from Ripper related research particularly.
    That language point has already been covered post 811, or read the thread on the last episode.
    I wasn't saying that "burglarize" was inauthentic, merely inelegant (and gramatically wrong). Why turn a noun into a verb, when the noun itself was created from a shorter verb?

And are you saying that the portrayal of Jack's Whitechapel isn't authentic? I'd say they've got it pretty much right. If they hadn't used all that prior knowledge, they'd have been fools. Which they clearly aren't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wasn't saying that "burglarize" was inauthentic, merely inelegant (and gramatically wrong). Why turn a noun into a verb, when the noun itself was created from a shorter verb?

My jaws clench when I heard people say "to medal" or "to gift" :mad:
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Or "arbitrator" instead of "arbiter".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Or "arbitrator" instead of "arbiter".

They mean different things.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    My dictionary must be broken. In fact, all of my dictionaries must be broken.
  • Options
    fatsifatsi Posts: 10,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So no Ripper Street next Sunday (10th) as its taking a weeks break.

The BAFTA's are on instead :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fatsi wrote: »
    So no Ripper Street next Sunday (10th) as its taking a weeks break.

The BAFTA's are on instead :rolleyes:

Aw I didn't know this. Wel that sucks :) aw wel at least it's on now
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Some violent scenes in Ripper Street - surely not :eek:;)
  • Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Confused already! :D haha Jokes! Looking forward to this!
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Locarno1 wrote: »
    Confused already! :D haha Jokes! Looking forward to this!

Looool like I always say it always comes together in the end...wel mostly :)
  • Options
    ncl*girlncl*girl Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hope we find out more about their daughter before the series finishes!
  • Options
    NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,152
    Forum Member

That's the Americans for you, they just make up words; at least they do in TV shows :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Interested to see what they do with this. The Dock Strike was a turning point in union history for the unskilled working man following on from the successful match girls strike. The Dockers' Strike was peaceful and received support from strange places such as Cardinal Manning. They also received money from Australia in support. The dockers wanted 6d an hour. Before this they were not registered and only got work if they were chosen. They were often violent to get noticed by the foremen and the men gained a reputation for fighting and for being the lowest of the low. The strike lasted 6 weeks in a very hot summer as goods rotted at the quay side.